Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching colour of Teak

• 21-04-2017 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

A contractor has just installed new teak internal doors for me. On one side the architraves match the doors really well. On the other side the architraves are a very different shade (and indeed a different profile). Pics attached.

The contractor says this level of variation is normal. He says each teak log can be different to the next so it's not possible to match colours. I should just accept this, and use wood stain to make the architrave match the doors.

I know some variation is natural but I think this is way off. I think he should be able to supply something that matches much better than that.

Am I being unreasonable?

Also, how successful it is wood staining - would I be able to match the colours up ok?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

well its not teak as the timber usualy called "teak" in ireland is iroko, that looks more like sapele. http://www.wood-database.com/sapele/#pics

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bikey

Interesting! Yes the lighter architrave looks exactly like the sapele. Thanks.

So it look like the maybe the darker timber in the doors is Iroko, but the contractor put a Sapele architrave on one side.

Do you know if it is difficult to get Iroko architraves? Maybe a new Iroko one would solve the issue.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As usual a retailer is referring to Iroko instead of teak. Almost nothing is made from teak these days due to cost and availability.
    Mismatching architraves and doors is simply not acceptable in my view and the easiest option is probably to insist that he replace them with a matching wood. You can address the profile problem as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bikey

insist that he replace them with a matching wood

He has agreed to that now. Thanks for the reassurance recipio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Bikey wrote: »
    He has agreed to that now. Thanks for the reassurance recipio.

Good result ! You would never get a matching stain - replacement is the best option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement