Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting pedals

Options
  • 21-04-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Wondering what pedals people use for commuting. Do people ditch the clipless and go with flats?
    My previous commute was ok with clipless but my new commute would bring me through the city centre and I'm not sure how much I fancy clipping in/out every few hundred metre's.

Anyone ever come across these http://pearsonbikes.com/pedals.php
    There seems to be a lot of people using them in multisport/adventure races in New Zealand. I doubt they'd go down too well with the fashion conscious cyclist.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd rather stick to my pedals then pay over 200 quid for what look like an awful solution. You'd be struggling to get your foot out of that more I'd bet too.

Just go with standard flats if you're worried

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

I should have said, I've no intention of using those pedal plates, they look like a nightmare to get your foot out of, as well as being hideous looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Something like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I commute with clip on. While city centre/traffic is a bit of a pain, I've found that I just keep my left clip fairly loose, and it's grand. For the shorter distances between lights, I tend not to bother clipping in with the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

SPD pedals are grand in town. I've always used them on various bikes including my road bike. If you are concerned about getting stuck loosen them a click or two, but the general design of SPDs mean that getting in and out of the pedals is a lot quicker than more road bike specific designs like Look or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

check_six wrote: »
    SPD pedals are grand in town. I've always used them on various bikes including my road bike. If you are concerned about getting stuck loosen them a click or two, but the general design of SPDs mean that getting in and out of the pedals is a lot quicker than more road bike specific designs like Look or whatever.

Yep - SPDs on the commuter, cross and MTBs ... SPD-SLs on the road bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BMX-style pedals with rubber-soled footwear. Decent grip, no shoe-changing. I like them anyway.

This guy give a spirited defence of them.
    https://theeverydaycyclist.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/review-wellgo-lu987-flat-pedals/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I use these:

http://chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-pd-t400-click-r-clipless-mtb-pedals/rp-prod104618

These are the only clipless pedals I have used and found them good for more urban environments. They can be made very loose so they are easy to get out of when you need to. I got them as I was wary about clipless in the city and I find they work well. I've had them 3 years now, now issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i use these. SPD on one side, flat but with really good grip on the other. had previously used these but my needs changed and now use the bike more for casual use than i had done previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't commute but I have SPD M324 pedals which are flat on one side and clip in on the other. I have them on my MTB and find them brilliant as I can use the flat side when off road and especially descending on lumpy trails when I may need to put a foot down in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Standard Look pedals, commute through the city centre (when lazy which is quite often), no bother clipping out, just anticipate the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Shimano PD-M520 SPD Pedals (were €19)
    Shimano M088 (now 89) SPD Mountain Bike Shoes (€69)

Just get used to always unclipping your left foot. I've had to do it once or twice at very short notice and found by always using the same foot you have muscle memory. I just unclip ahead of time also for lights etc. or slow down approaching so never been an issue. I found the pedal cages I had at the beginning really dangerous as it was much harder to get out of them in an emergency plus I wanted to buy overshoes for when it was raining. The biking shoes are also much quicker at drying when it rains if you do get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Shimano Saint flat pedals for commuting, very good grip especially if you have five tens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fader123

I recently bought a pair of Bike Dabs, would recommend it as a solution if you want to go clipless at the weekend but wear "normal" shoes for commuting.

It's a clever design, they attach to your pedals using the clipping mechanism (in my case, SPD-SL). I went for a 75k spin in runners the other day and they worked perfectly - ended up being very handy actually as I had to walk my bike along the slippery tidal road at Malahide Estuary which I wouldn't fancy in cleats.

Main website has videos etc. I bought mine from the UK stockist. They cost a little over €30 including post to Ireland and took about a fortnight to arrive. Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I use Shimano M324 Combination pedals on my commuter bike, they are handy as you can use MTB shoes on one side or ordinary shoes on the flat side.

Advertisement