Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grove Island Evictions

• 21-04-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Seems a lot of people are being evicted to empty some of the apartment blocks. News cameras there at the moment and the local councilors vying to see who is the most outraged.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Greedy Landlords Money is there God.

This is like Ireland in the 1840 Famine times With the Mass Eviction. all over Ireland instead of English Crown on the the Eviction Notice it is the Irish Harper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Greedy Landlords Money is there God.

What is up with the casing in all of your posts? Wonky keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do ye want to go down and buy them out so lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

This is like Ireland in the 1840 Famine times With the Mass Eviction. all over Ireland instead of English Crown on the the Eviction Notice it is the Irish Harper.

I heard the quakers are down there trying to give out soup. Shocking stuff!

• Advertisement

I heard the quakers are down there trying to give out soup. Shocking stuff!

Potato soup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What is up with the casing in all of your posts? Wonky keyboard?

To be fair it's the same broken shift/caps/space bar as he used with his username so at least he's consistent.

The Irish People Who fought for Ireland 1916 and in the Irish Civil War 1922-1923 for the people of Ireland to be Independent from England British Empire and the greedy landlords Evictions from there homes in Irish Famine. Now we have Greedy Irish Landlords in mass Evictions of Men/Women/Children from there homes in 2017 like we did in 1840s. Make you think was it the English Landlords doing the Evictions our was it Irish Catholics landlords people who where doing the mass Evictions at the time in the 1840s ?.

The Irish People Who fought for Ireland 1916 and in the Irish Civil War 1922-1923 for the people of Ireland to be Independent from England British Empire and the greedy landlords Evictions from there homes in Irish Famine. Now we have Greedy Irish Landlords in mass Evictions of Men/Women/Children from there homes in 2017 like we did in 1840s. Make you think was it the English Landlords doing the Evictions our was it Irish Catholics landlords people who where doing the mass Evictions at the time in the 1840s ?.

And one of the evictees had just helped free a trapped swan before finding out about the eviction apparently.

Grove Island Evictions in 2017 you had the same thing happening in 1998 just before the boom greedy landlords in Mass Evictions sell up and cash in and look where the got us in to the Irish economic collapse in 2008 and depression for a decade ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unless any of these landlords are 300 years old and have English accents, I don't see how it's relevant.

I've deleted some posts, stay on topic, and don't make wild accusations about the owners of the properties please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

For devil's advocate sake - is renting just renting ie you are not the owner? Not even Fionn MacCumhaill and the Cuchullain united can change that fact, not to mind 1916.

An asset owner is always allowed sell their asset in a free economy. Otherwise you have restraint of trade. Too far down that road and you have Cuba. Without the sunshine I may add. Who wants that prospect?

At a human level of course I would be upset for anybody who regularly met their rent and felt established there. But it goes to show the value of owning your own place in the long term. If you are just renting and not paying a mortgage, it might be more frugal month to month, but - prepare for the prospect of being moved on somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

topper75 wrote: »
    For devil's advocate sake - is renting just renting ie you are not the owner? Not even Fionn MacCumhaill and the Cuchullain united can change that fact, not to mind 1916.

An asset owner is always allowed sell their asset in a free economy. Otherwise you have restraint of trade. Too far down that road and you have Cuba. Without the sunshine I may add. Who wants that prospect?

At a human level of course I would be upset for anybody who regularly met their rent and felt established there. But it goes to show the value of owning your own place in the long term. If you are just renting and not paying a mortgage, it might be more frugal month to month, but - prepare for the prospect of being moved on somewhere down the line.

Have to agree. If its a rental, you are not guaranteed much. Its always a possibility this will happen, be it a vulture fund or a man renting one house as his nest egg.

Are they being given notice of eviction or just turfing them out?

Alan – who pays rent of €550 a month – added: “I think it’s all about money. Someone is trying to make a fast buck at our expense”.

I've nothig but sympathy but what does he expect - LL's, from 'crack of the arse' accidental LL's like myself to these funds, are investors. At some point it's time to sell. The whole sector needs a radical overhaul to encourge security of tenture. All the last round of fiddling about has done is encourage people like me who might be swayed by the plight of an indivdual tenant to exit the market.

It seems like everything is above board. It's not the state who owns the properties, they are getting proper notice.

I certainly feel for someone being told they need to get out, hopefully they can find alternative accomodations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

topper75 wrote: »

However that attitude did in fact cause the 19C evictions which were eventually legislated against.

It's possible to allow asset ownership with protection of tenancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

However that attitude did in fact cause the 19C evictions which were eventually legislated against.

Does asset ownership only include the right to sell to those who will utilise the asset just as you did though? That would be quite a restraint.

These cases are interesting from an economic justice viewpoint if you have the luxury of being a detached observer.

The tenants do have a degree of protection, already laid out in law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

I don't see how it could be extended much further then it is already. More time wouldn't help these people anyway, in this case.

People have a right to sell.

MarkR wrote: »
    The tenants do have a degree of protection, already laid out in law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

I don't see how it could be extended much further then it is already. More time wouldn't help these people anyway, in this case.

People have a right to sell.

They do but there is already extra steps where there is more than ten units. We have to be careful here, these funds can sell, but if they're selling to another fund there is no reason the tenants should be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

People being evicted to house homeless Winos by The Simon Community so thats where donations to Simon are going .

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

L.T.P. wrote: »

The f*cking irony of it! Between this and the new maternity hospital in Dublin I wonder do people bother looking into the history/current status of stuff before purchasing?

Advertisement