Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reapply to CAO (Points calculation)

Options
  • 21-04-2017 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I missed out on the course I wanted last year by 5 points (BIS in NUIG).
    I ended up with 425 points going by the old system.

I got;
    English - B1
    Biology - B2
    Geography - B3
    Music - B3
    Business - C3 (Dissappointed with that)
    LCVP - Merit (After recheck)

I'm changing my course for next year as I don't like it and as I was looking into it I'm wondering if reapply might work in my favour.

Am I right in saying I would have got

English - H2
    Biology - H2
    Geography - H3
    Music - H3
    Business - H4
    LCVP - Merit

Which would leave me with 442 this time around. I'm not sure because I can't view what result I got only the grade but I should/would still be the same.

So I would have technically gotten a higher result this time around?

Also, is BIS (or college courses in general) expected to have a huge jump?
    Does anyone know the anticipated result for BIS in NUI for this year?

Of course they won't stay the same since the system is changing but could I be over the threshold since my B3s are now counted to the same result as my B1 and my other results are all slighty higher except for LCVP.

I'm trying to work this out in my head and I don't know how much of a expected change there would be so I apologise if this post is pointless/a host of stupid questions.

But any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Your B2 according to that document is converted to a H3 and your C3 to a H5 which means you are down points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

But so even though I got 80 points from my B3 in Biology, that would count as a H3 (77)?
    There's no way for me to see what percentage I got at this stage as far as I'm aware.. and as I'm counting it on Qualifax it shows a H2 as 80 - 89?

The only thing in your favour from that document is that it was published in September 2015. Complaints may have been lodged from students on the old system so perhaps something has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

TheBiz wrote: »
    But so even though I got 80 points from my B3 in Biology, that would count as a H3 (77)?
    There's no way for me to see what percentage I got at this stage as far as I'm aware.. and as I'm counting it on Qualifax it shows a H2 as 80 - 89?

A B3 means you scored somewhere between 70-74.99%. That's the equivalent of a H3 and means you got 77 points. I think you'll find most people drop a number of points with the new system.

This is how your points are now:

English: H2 (88 points)
    Biology: H3 (77 points)
    Geography: H3 (77 points)
    Music: H3 (77 points)
    Business: H5 (56 points)
    LCVP: Merit (46 points)

Total: 421

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, I didn't have any scale so I had no idea if a large jump in points was normal or unnatural thanks.

Advertisement