Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally to UL Riverpath and Dogs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

The canal path, perpendicular to this, is beset with problems too.

Dogs off their leads is a particular issue, especially given the number of newborn ducklings, coots, and cygnets that they are free to interfere with at present.

But off-the-lead children/teenagers is arguably a bigger issue. Twice in the last fortnight, I've had to approach groups of youths and...ask...them to stop throwing stones at the fowl.

We also had a group blaring music down there this evening from what looked like a portable beatbox.

Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't worse happenings than the above minor incidents, given the complete lack of any visible council presence down there on a daily basis.

Only one bin as well!

It's a shame, because it's a genuinely lovely place to spend time. Amazing resource for those living in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just went for a walk there and some little ah!t is flying up and down it on a motorcycle

Shannon fields? Lads have been down there for years now with scramblers flying up and down the field.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shannon fields? Lads have been down there for years now with scramblers flying up and down the field.

It was on the actual newly constructed path.

Motorbike + dogs off leashes + people walking = potential injuries or death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was running down by the canal this morning and couldn't see one bin for a whole km. I messaged the council about it so will let you know their response. I do think bins will help in making the area a bit cleaner and faciliate people to get rid of their dog crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The council are very resistant to putting bins in these kinds of places. There was war over getting them on the path along the Condell Road and apparently it was only by accident that the contractor put them in. Once they were in the Council couldn't remove them without creating a backlash. I think there's a high cost associated with it, dealing with unions, etc.

But, there are legitimate reasons to be hesitant about providing bins too. Are lack of bins really the reason there's so much dog foul? Probably not. Bins can also attract illegal dumping of household rubbish too and you're left with a bigger problem. Is the litter situation all that bad in any case?

I've been involved in clean ups along the river bank over the years, and we collected many bags of litter, but much of this was what would have been caught in the bank after drifting downriver and had accumulated over many years. We managed to remove a few tonnes of it. Nowadays, I don't see it as being as big a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The lack of bins are never, ever a reason to leave dog poo or litter around. If you're a dog owner you need to be prepared to clean up after them. As for litter, just stuff it in your pocket until you get home. You managed to carry the item with you why not bring home the wrapping .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cycled this with the kids today, encountered quite a few dogs wandering out in front of us and once very nearly caused an accident. We were cycling at a nice easy pace keeping left and passing on the right.
    The amount of people that get offended when you a ring a bell to let them know your presence is outstanding. We also met cyclists who insisted on cycling on the wrong side of the road. Groups of people stopped up chatting while taking over the whole path, whilst their dogs run free is quite common too I notice.
    Someone earlier in this thread put it well when they said Irish people seem to think its fine to ignore all signs and that's why we will never have anything nice here. I agree!
    Marty.

phog wrote:
    The lack of bins are never, ever a reason to leave dog poo or litter around. If you're a dog owner you need to be prepared to clean up after them. As for litter, just stuff it in your pocket until you get home. You managed to carry the item with you why not bring home the wrapping .

I hear what you're saying and agree wholeheartedly. However, if there was more bins around with messages encouraging people to bag and bin their dog poop it would help change the culture of cleaning up dog litter in Limerick. At the moment there is dog litter on a lot of the pavements and the UL path, I do think more bins targeted at dog owners would be a good start to attempt to change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying and agree wholeheartedly. However, if there was more bins around with messages encouraging people to bag and bin their dog poop it would help change the culture of cleaning up dog litter in Limerick. At the moment there is dog litter on a lot of the pavements and the UL path, I do think more bins targeted at dog owners would be a good start to attempt to change this.

At least 10 years ago I was holidaying in Lake Garda, one of the days I took a spin around the lake and stopped off at a bathing area. An Italian couple were sitting near us, suddenly, there was a bit of commotion, I thought one of them might have got stung so went to offer our first aid kit.

What actually​ happened was their dog pee'd on the stones, one ran for a little tray for their dog to finish off his bit of business the other picked up the stones and brought them to an outdoor shower and washed the stones before returning them the area where the dog pee'd.

We're (Irish people) are light years from that kind of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

I went for walk yesterday down through Shannon Fields and into town on the Corbally side of the canal.
    It was disgusting to see the amount of dog faeces on the paths.
    It seemed to get worse the closer i got to the city centre. Out of the dog owners that i passed en route about 50% had them off leads.

On Saturday I was passing the top of Cruises Street up by Leavy's shoes and there was a massive amount of faeces on the street and it looks like plenty of people stepped in it.

What are we like, some people seem to have no respect for others and we have a City/County Council who turn a blind eye to all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Mt father was reporting an incident there to the Gardai and asked them about the CCTV. The Gardai have nothing to do with the CCTV there. Apparently it's under the Council but when he contacted them was told the cameras aren't switched on most of the time. Genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

You couldn't ****ing make it up!

I contacted all the councillors in these districts advising them of the ongoing issues in the area.
    Only two councillors have gotten back to me, Mr Costello (SF) and Mr Gilligan (IND) and they are making representations to the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I carry around a pack of plastic bags when walking our dog. The same pack for well over a year. My dog does not poo outside of her run. Why? Because i don't feed her ten mins before we go out for a walk. If these dog owners actually cared they could mostly avoid this. Although maybe my dog is just awesome and has great manners!

Just saw this and thought of this thread: https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/limerick-takes-lead-campaign-stamp-out-dog-poo
    Limerick City and County Council is set to cry foul on pet owners who fail to clean up after their dogs on the city and county’s streets.

The local authority is teaming up with Limerick’s Live 95FM's Street Boy, who will take to the streets, starting in Newcastle West today, 26th July to encourage dog owners to clean up after their pets.

It’s all part of Limerick City and County Council's ongoing Any Bag Any Bin campaign to combat dog litter.

The campaign will follow on from Newcastlewest with visits to Askeaton, Limerick City and Kilmallock next week.

The message is simple:

Always clean up after your dog
    Remind your relations, neighbours and friends to do the same
    Take multiple bags on walks, just in case
    Use any bag any public bin, your own bin or flush the poo down the loo.
    In addition to the joint campaign with Limerick’s Live95FM, other initiatives taken by the Council to combat dog litter include; local radio adverts, Park Rangers and Environment Inspectors/Litter Wardens handing out dog litter bags, talking lamp posts that remind people to clean up after their dog and an ‘any bag any bin campaign’.

The local authority is teaming up with Limerick’s Live 95FM's Street Boy, who will take to the streets, starting in Newcastle West today, 26th July to "encourage" dog owners to clean up after their pets.

Doomed to failure already.

A dog walker recently decided that my recycle bin (which was out for collection) would make an ideal repository for their dog litter!

Advertisement