Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosch American Fridge Freeze

Options
  • 21-04-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just looking for some opinions!! I have a Bosch American fridge Freezer that has decided to go belly up after 6.5 years. Pretty pissed that it is gone at such a young age. I have spoken to Bosch and they are telling me its outside of warranty and the shop don't want to hear anything about it.

Would this be deemed the life expectancy of this appliance?
    Undecided whether to repair or buy a new one!!

Audioslaven

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Guys,

Just looking for some opinions!! I have a Bosch American fridge Freezer that has decided to go belly up after 6.5 years. Pretty pissed that it is gone at such a young age. I have spoken to Bosch and they are telling me its outside of warranty and the shop don't want to hear anything about it.

Would this be deemed the life expectancy of this appliance?
    Undecided whether to repair or buy a new one!!

Audioslaven

Ok A few questions.

How old is the Fridge in question ?.

What store did you buy it from ?.

What has gone wrong with it ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

How old is the Fridge in question ?. it is 6.5 years old

What store did you buy it from ?. Cunniffes Galway

What has gone wrong with it ? The motherboard is gone in it (2 boards in it). The fridge and freezer are not working (cooling and freezing respectively)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically too old for any comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

How old is the Fridge in question ?. it is 6.5 years old

What store did you buy it from ?. Cunniffes Galway

What has gone wrong with it ? The motherboard is gone in it (2 boards in it). The fridge and freezer are not working (cooling and freezing respectively)

Wasting time at 6.5 years old that is a very good life for any kind of goods.

IF 2 or 3 years yah you have a case i had a 16 month old 1200 euro TV that broke i went to court and won. Thats a case anything over 5 years your wasting your time.

ok guys thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You could argue that 6.5 years is perhaps a little on the young side, but it's not ridiculously young. I don't think you've much of a case here. Realistically you'd be looking at the depreciated value of the fridge freezer, which after 6.5 years would be low or zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

At over 6 years old it would be pushing it to seek a free repair. Have a local repairman look at it. The remedy may be simple enough. The last time ours stopped working it only cost €40 to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have a local repairman look at it. The remedy may be simple enough.
    +1, seeing as its bosch it was probably expensive to begin with and could well be worth repairing as they are usually decent quality parts anyway.

I presume you have checked the fuse. You can check the model online and what is wrong, you might see it is a common problem with that model and if you are not able to repair it yourself you could probably see if its a costly and/or worthwhile repair.

my tumble drier broke and I was able to repair with with a part which was about €12, and a better quality higher spec part than the original.

Cheers for that. The appliance is getting power so it is not a fuse. I have a Bosch technician out and he said it needs two boards which cost around 375 fitted.

I am not sure if it is worth putting nearly 400 euro into it and it goes belly up in a year. I paid 1500 for it so I am not impressed it has gone bang after 6.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭ongarite

Bosch won't do any low level repair of the faulty boards.
    They will just diagnose & replace at high cost to the end-user.

Could be something as simple as a blown capacitor or trace burned out on PCB.

If the tech told you which boards are gone, go on ebay to see if they can be bought 2nd hand or refurbished.
    Go to bosch discussion websites and search for your model fridge and the issue with it.
    Very likely to be someone who knows what the issue is & realistic repair options.

whats the model number of the fridge/freezer?

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Bosch won't do any low level repair of the faulty boards.
    They will just diagnose & replace at high cost to the end-user.

Could be something as simple as a blown capacitor or trace burned out on PCB.

If the tech told you which boards are gone, go on ebay to see if they can be bought 2nd hand or refurbished.
    Go to bosch discussion websites and search for your model fridge and the issue with it.
    Very likely to be someone who knows what the issue is & realistic repair options.

whats the model number of the fridge/freezer?

Its KAN62V40GB

Ok I cleaned out the fins as there was loads of dust in there and plugged it back in. It is actually back running now so want to see if it starts cooling. I heard one click and the fan ran for a second or two but it clicked again in about a minute and kicked off.

I was thinking maybe I had a bad compressor relay as the tech was not very convincing and mentioned changing both boards which did seem a bit strange. Will see how it goes

I have order the main board from Bosch so will fit this and see if it works. The main board is doing alot of clicking once the device is switched on, so would lead to either a bad board or the compressor is gone.

Its a bit outside of this forum but will update as it may help someone out

Advertisement