Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower won't start

Options
  • 21-04-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

My Castle Garden lawn mower won't start. Initially when I first tried it did tick over and the head lights were turning on so I thought it was a flat battery. It stopped turning over and head lights wouldn't turn on after about a minute of trying so I took out the battery and charged it up. Now it won't even tick over and head lights still won't turn on.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Check fuse first.. And we'll go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

fox0512 wrote: »
    Check fuse first.. And we'll go from there

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the fuses and the lines in them weren't broke. I put in two new ones too just in case and still nothing!

Ok... Check switches...brake on...blades of etc... Try your solenoid with ignition on... Batt red wire leads to it and another goes ti your starter.. Cross both terminals with a screwdriver...if she trys to turn over then the solenoid has gone bad

If it turns over its a bad sol or your purple small wire is not carring power to it... There will be a purple and black wire side by side

If it turns over its a bad sol or your purple small wire is not carring power to it... There will be a purple and black wire side by side

• Advertisement

when I try and put a spanner across the purple and black connection to the solenoid it try's to turnover and then as I do this and turn ignition it cuts off. Bad solenoid or something else? How much is a new solenoid?

you cross the terminals where the two large red wires meet at solenoid...one comes from batt and the other goes to starter... if it turns over normally you have either a bad solenoid or no power in purple wire...when you crank ignition all the way this delivers 12v to purple wire leading to solenoid, this is what crosses the terminals for you..

If she turns over but struggling to do so your battery is prob fried..if its 4/6 years old it is more than likely gone..

Anyone with a ride on should have a multimeter at hand...these can save you a world of grief for 15euro...with the multi you can check for power in that purple wire...if theres juice there and a batt is good then its 100% your solenoid

fox0512 wrote: »
    you cross the terminals where the two large red wires meet at solenoid...one comes from batt and the other goes to starter... if it turns over normally you have either a bad solenoid or no power in purple wire...when you crank ignition all the way this delivers 12v to purple wire leading to solenoid, this is what crosses the terminals for you..

If she turns over but struggling to do so your battery is prob fried..if its 4/6 years old it is more than likely gone..

Anyone with a ride on should have a multimeter at hand...these can save you a world of grief for 15euro...with the multi you can check for power in that purple wire...if theres juice there and a batt is good then its 100% your solenoid

My dad have a multi reader. We got it going by linking the two terimanals on the solenoid with a spanner. Looks like it's the solenoid that's gone after all. Gonna replace it. Thanks so much for your help. My dad went back looking at the solenoid in more detail once we read your reply. We would of been at it forever trying different things if it not for your reply.

No worries....solenoid is about 15/20 eur...

Advertisement