Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tui and the antivaxxer brigade?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I don't see how this is a teacher issue? Shouldn't the imo or inmo be doing this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If a group of conspiracy nuts can steer a massive union, I'm glad ASTI have some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If a group of conspiracy nuts can steer a massive union, I'm glad ASTI have some sense.

Some unions have more than others. Last year we were opposing the TTIP trade agreement between the US and Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hate anti vaxxer rubbish but at the same time I think it is a schools issue if schools are being used as vaccination centres, teachers are having to distribute and collect forms, and teachers have to look after students on the day of vaccination.

I am very pro this vaccine but it has caused a lot of drama in my school this year. I have had to deal with a lot of nonsense being parroted by teens from their parents, field a lot of hysterical phonecalls from parents and deal with mass hysteria on vaccination day. I think vaccination in school is probably best on balance so as to increase uptake, but I don't think the current resourcing is in any way adequate to deal with the programme in schools in a professional manner and I think it wrong that teachers are left to deal with the fallout of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think it's for the greater good. Herd immunity and all that.

Are there any Dr.'s or qualified researchers putting their name to the 'awareness' group'so claims?

And boys should be vaccinated too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Its a headbanger move alright but the wording way fairly general.

I supported it on the basis that any discussion may include the admin burden on schools between letters, phone calls, organising rooms etc.

Nurses sit there drinking tea on their 'break' while teachers look after the fainters and run around like blue arsed flies trying to do their own jobs too.

There's enough admin staff in the HSE to sort this all out without pushing it on to schools,

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I'm not TUI and I felt like throwing my phone at the wall when I read this online.

As teachers we very often leave our own opinions and politics at the door, so that we can do our job. I had to bite my tongue a month ago when a number of students didn't get the vaccine. I think its a mistake but it's essentially their parent's mistake to make. The TUI should keep out of it.

It's not been reported as a review of policy based on admin concerns. It's a review of policy based on a few anecdotal stories that are just rubbish. No scientific basis for any of this. These drugs have been rigorously tested with none of these side effected reported.

I'd have taken the vaccine if I'd been given a choice. Most of my friends would too. Instead I know too many young women who had cancer scares in their twenties.

AND it should be given to boys too!!

Ya don't be too worried for those who don't get it in school. Some students' parents prefer to go to the local gp or whatever but say nothing and just don't fill out the school form.
    You'll always have a few fainters but I just think it's a small price to pay dealing with it.(I'd say primary teachers are more used to anticipating hysteria and drama at this stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

This is insanity from the TUI. Any science teacher worth their salt in that union should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I struggle to see how this is within their remit.

Calling for this review will muddy the waters on the eyes of parents and is grossly irresponsible. This is a cancer preventing vaccine: careless talk will cost lives.

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    I struggle to see how this is within their remit.

Calling for this review will muddy the waters on the eyes of parents and is grossly irresponsible. This is a cancer preventing vaccine: careless talk will cost lives.

Yes I agree, having a large group of people lending weight to 'doubt' is careless.
    I can imagine the spin..."even teachers -who are highly educated individuals - are supporting our call for a review".
    Bad move.
    Next we'll have to turn off the water until there's a review of fluoride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was there and voted against as I think its none of our business and makes us look mental. The wording is pretty vague and it was sold as a review of the procedures around it in schools but the proposer definitely is anti the vaccine. I was very unhappy about us getting involved and it passing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a long time since I attended Congress, but there were always these mental 'add-on' miscellaneous motions at the end of the programme - coffee pickers in Nicaragua, knicker stitchers in Bangladesh, etc..

I would be very pro-vaccination (in fact I can't see why the boys are not also vaccinated since they are the 'carriers' so to speak), but I do see the value in taking it away from schools. Too many mornings spent with hysterical children 'fainting' and winding each other up with tales of exploding arms and agony.

Without seeing the actual wording of the motion, I can only presume it was tackling the disruption of schools factor, rather than not believing in the effectiveness of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

The motion was brought forward by Leitrim teacher Sean Wynne, who’s also a member of the Gardasil Awareness Group (Gardasil is the brand name of the HPV vaccine).

yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

spurious wrote: »
    I would be very pro-vaccination (in fact I can't see why the boys are not also vaccinated since they are the 'carriers' so to speak), but I do see the value in taking it away from schools. Too many mornings spent with hysterical children 'fainting' and winding each other up with tales of exploding arms and agony.

Boys aren't just carriers. HPV in men can lead to cancer too. There isn't a lot of research into it and the numbers are smaller than cervical cancer cases in women, but this vaccine can prevent cancers in men too.

There is no way to test for HPV in men, so a preventative vaccine is the only way to protect young boys.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/hpvvaccineboys/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

spurious wrote: »
    It's a long time since I attended Congress, but there were always these mental 'add-on' miscellaneous motions at the end of the programme - coffee pickers in Nicaragua, knicker stitchers in Bangladesh, etc..

Without seeing the actual wording of the motion, I can only presume it was tackling the disruption of schools factor, rather than not believing in the effectiveness of the vaccine.

The wording didn't mention any side effects etc but the proposer of the motion did.

Id be happy to see it continue in schools of the nurses would look after the children. Instead they jab and go.

Of all the people who come into schools to deliver programmes or speak etc they are the most difficult to cater for and keep happy. They'd eat you at the best of times. You'd be full time drawing tea into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'd be quite concerned about the standard of teaching you'd get out of those supporting this. You have to be a combination of crank and uniformed to back this motion.

Advertisement