Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ixoy wrote: »
    Is it coming to Netflix here? It's not there currently.

December

Passengers
    The tribe( film )

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

peteeeed wrote: »
    Passengers

Is this with Chris Pratt? Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Is this with Chris Pratt? Any use?
    It's harmless enough. Looks slick, two decent leads in Pratt and Lawrence, story isn't anything special. 7/10 on imdb and 30% on rotten tomatoes, for whatever that's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I enjoyed Passengers. Worth a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

sweetie wrote: »
    Loved that and their previous one is supposed to be good too, called Resolution.

Resolution is the first film by the two directors and is well worth a watch - limited budget but well written and directed. It was included in the Bluray release of The Endless (maybe because the two films have some shared characters and common settings?) - daftly, I bought the Blu-ray but have only watched Resolution so far, yet to get around to The Endless.

They also did a film called Spring in between the other two which is well worth a watch - it's a character focused romance story that's also kind of a horror story, but the writing and dialogue is good. It is (or at least was) on Netflix so worth a look if you liked The Endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, I've seen Spring as well and it is well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

peteeeed wrote: »
    Passengers
    The tribe( film )

Added today

That's twice now I've seen this mentioned - I thought it was the 2015 Ukranian drama (which I want to see) but it turns out to be a Spanish comedy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Fysh wrote: »
    That's twice now I've seen this mentioned - I thought it was the 2015 Ukranian drama (which I want to see) but it turns out to be a Spanish comedy.

The one set in the school for deaf children? Easily one of the most depressing films I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

km79 wrote: »
    Neither am I
    So that’s two of us then ....
    That was in response to another post about that film

You said a monster calls is so good

And they responded
    .....If you're a teenage girl.

Ott tearjerk heartstring nonsense.

I was just pointing out I am not a teenage girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

December 31
    Silence of the Lambs

About time. Red Dragon and Hannibal (the film) have both been on Netflix for a while now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CAM is worth 90ish minutes of your time. I was apprehensive going in given the sleazy subject matter was rife for exploitation. But while it certainly doesn’t back off some of the more explicit material (albeit *relatively* tastefully, given how it could have gone) I think it mostly achieves a fine balance - likely the result of the scriptwriter being a former ‘cam girl’ herself.

As a thriller I found it consistently involving. It’s a weird, Lynchian central premise with a more accessible delivery. While it definitely isn’t tied to reality and doesn’t provide definitive or logical answers, it keeps things reasonably grounded given the surreal, creepy events unfolding. Madeline Brewer does a damn good job in the lead role,

This isn’t the best of the recent Netflix lot - Other Side of the Wind or Buster Scruggs are more substantial works. But this is still several cuts above the dismal standards for Netflix originals had until very recently. A solid, high concept thriller that’s a definitely an easy, entertaining watch on a rainy November evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

CAM...
    It didn't have a proper ending or explanation, at all. I'm all for open endings and not getting everything explained, but it didn't even hint at anything.

"Lynchian", this is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

A Monster Calls is an incredible film, would highly recommend it. And you will be in floods by the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

tigger123 wrote: »
    A Monster Calls is an incredible film, would highly recommend it. And you will be in floods by the end of it.

Can't find it on Netflix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Knine wrote: »
    Can't find it on Netflix

It's not being added until the 9th of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It didn't have a proper ending or explanation, at all. I'm all for open endings and not getting everything explained, but it didn't even hint at anything.

"Lynchian", this is not.

I watched it last night and i didnt have a clue what was going on,i still thought it was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Aenaes wrote: »
    About time. Red Dragon and Hannibal (the film) have both been on Netflix for a while now.

Hannibal wasn´t worth watching...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Any recomendations for kids movies added lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Murph76 wrote: »
    I don't find Netflix great for regularly added kids movies. Once you've seen all the good stuff they already have, there's not a steady stream of quality kids stuff each month.

The Land Before Time (1988), Rio 2 (2014), Gnome Alone (2017) were added in October.

Nothing great for November for kids, although...

"Netflix Original" film, The Christmas Chronicles, with Kurt Russell as Santa was released today, which I plan to watch tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not added recently but a few that are really great but often overlooked are Megamind, Rise of the Guardians and Over the Hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not added recently but a few that are really great but often overlooked are Megamind, Rise of the Guardians and Over the Hedge.

All 3 great moves, Megamind is great. Another overlooked one with a great voice cast that I've watched a few times is Monsters vs Aliens.

Labyrinth stands up to multiple viewings all these years later, Secret life of Pets, Kubo and the Two Strings, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 are all movies I've enjoyed watching with the kids.

Problem is as the guys said, the rotation of kids movies is slow.

MST3000 season 2
    The Christmas chronicles
    Great leaf season 3 added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Hurrache wrote: »
    All 3 great moves, Megamind is great. Another overlooked one with a great voice cast that I've watched a few times is Monsters vs Aliens.

Labyrinth stands up to multiple viewings all these years later, Secret life of Pets, Kubo and the Two Strings, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 are all movies I've enjoyed watching with the kids.

Problem is as the guys said, the rotation of kids movies is slow.

Goonies still stands the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Wonder is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Watched the other night still magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Wonder is very good.

It's a very good film but not a kids film for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Anyone seen Roma yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Just finished the last kingdom it was excellent hope it gets a 4th season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't noticed with other series I've watched, but is Sabrina the only one that does a recap if you leave and come back to an episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

brilou23 wrote: »

I've only watched the first two episodes of season 3 and
    the nephew of king Alfred and the lord of Mercia hopefully get a slap as they are bugging me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't noticed with other series I've watched, but is Sabrina the only one that does a recap if you leave and come back to an episode?

The opening episode of season 3 of the last kingdom had a recap but I've not noticed it happening when you resume an episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Kids Should Be Made To Watch WONDEE, they could learn a lot from it

F is for Family season 3 coming next week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Enjoyed the documentary on Quincy Jones. Although I would have preferred if more film time was spent on the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I love it, but my wife isn't a fan, the oddball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

donfers wrote: »
    Anyone seen Roma yet?

Aye. It’s easily the best thing Netflix has ever put its name to - I say that without a second’s hesitation. I’ll write more when it’s closer to Netflix release in a couple of weeks, but it’s just stunning, personal and deeply, deeply moving cinema and maybe the strongest film Cuaron has made yet (maybe!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

brilou23 wrote: »

Ya it’s absolutely brilliant. I can’t wait. :)

Sorry I actually haven’t watched season 3 at all didn’t realize that was the new series.

sugarman wrote: »
    Brilliant show, I just finished season 2 this evening too :D

When is season 3 out?

• Advertisement

Anyone who loves Dogs, Netflix has a 6 episode documentary series about dogs called Dogs. They really are so amazing.

fin12 wrote: »
    When is season 3 out?

30th November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone who loves Dogs, Netflix has a 6 episode documentary series about dogs called Dogs. They really are so amazing.

Really, I thought dogs would've been about cats, I might watch it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Kids Should Be Made To Watch WONDER, they could learn a lot from it

My wife is a primary teacher & has been reading the book it's based on to her classes for years.

You're right, it's an excellent story to help build empathy in children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Thank you for this.... am waiting for someone to call to repair the washing machine - and have blubbed my way through episode one. ;),
    with my little fella asleep on the couch...

My wife is a primary teacher & has been reading the book it's based on to her classes for years.

You're right, it's an excellent story to help build empathy in children

Perhaps adults should be made read/watch it as children aren't born without empathy.

• Advertisement

Frontier season 3
    Fugitiva season 1
    A domestic abuse survivor orchestrates an elaborate deception to protect her family from her powerfully wealthy husband and his vindictive enemies.

And some various series by Monty don

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don’t think I’ve seen Outlaw King mentioned. It’s basically the Netflix sequel to Braveheart. It gets a 5 star rating and deservedly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Don’t think I’ve seen Outlaw King mentioned. It’s basically the Netflix sequel to Braveheart. It gets a 5 star rating and deservedly so.

Thought it was pretty poor, I was bored half way through. Watchable but that's about it

I started watching Shera and the Princesses of Power the other day and it's actually really enjoyable. It looks like a show for very young and very girly girls, and it doesn't hold back on being feminine, for the most part, but it's a more complex story than it appears and there's some nice humour in it too. Captain Seahawk is a fabulous character. Maybe one to watch with kids but a decent way to kill a bit of time on your own too.

(i have no knowledge of the original series to compare this to, so don't yell at me if you have strong feelings about that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5 star rating from whom? Reviews are pretty average.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement