Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

murpho999 wrote: »
    5 star rating from whom? Reviews are pretty average.

I think they were giving it 5 stars themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

may i recommend 'mudbound'

"Laura McAllan is trying to raise her children on her husband's Mississippi Delta farm, a place she finds foreign and frightening. In the midst of the family's struggles, two young men return from the war to work the land. Jamie McAllan, Laura's brother-in-law, is everything her husband is not - charming and handsome, but he is haunted by his memories of combat. Ronsel Jackson, eldest son of the black sharecroppers who live on the McAllan farm, now battles the prejudice in the Jim Crow South."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

...children aren't born without empathy.
    That's actually incorrect. Empathy is a learned trait.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mellor wrote: »
    That's actually incorrect. Empathy is a learned trait.

Empathy is shaped by genetics as well as environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched the first of Daniel Sloss's comedy specials last night, it takes him a while to get going but he's very funny. He got his break under Frankie Boyle and you can see that in fluency but I find with Boyle the controversy is the gag whereas Sloss is much smarter although he can come across as a bit preachy. I'll definitely watch the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story
    Storyboard artist Harold Michelson and his film researcher wife, Lillian, recall the influence they had on 60 years of Hollywood's biggest hits
    Added today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

brilou23 wrote: »
    Just finished the last kingdom it was excellent hope it gets a 4th season

Watched season 3 over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Watched The Christmas Chronicles today with the kids. Thought it was brilliant. Well made and funny in places. Kids loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Private Life

Basically "East Coast Liberals: the Movie". While I would have preferred the authentic Baumbach version of this in which all the characters are narcissistic a**holes, it still works pretty damn well as a super indie dramedy about one middled-aged couple's odyssey through the American infertility industry. Best watched back to back with Rosemary's Baby, though tbh Satan raping you in your sleep to give birth to the antichrist has nothing on the the horror underpinning this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Private Life

Basically "East Coast Liberals: the Movie". While I would have preferred the authentic Baumbach version of this in which all the characters are narcissistic a**holes, it still works pretty damn well as a super indie dramedy about one middled-aged couple's odyssey through the American infertility industry. Best watched back to back with Rosemary's Baby, though tbh Satan raping you in your sleep to give birth to the antichrist has nothing on the the horror underpinning this film.

Watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Good performances, good dialogue and a delicate matter handled well.

Coincidentally, last night's Louis Theroux Altered States show was about open adoption and it tied in well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Wonder is very good.

Good advice, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

crustybla wrote: »
    Watched The Christmas Chronicles today with the kids. Thought it was brilliant. Well made and funny in places. Kids loved it.

Watched it yesterday, the kids loved it :)

Bumping Mics with Jeff Ross & Dave Attell
    When Jeff Ross and Dave Attell take the stage, no one is safe. With the help of special guests, they're packing a lot of laughs into one epic weekend

Minecraft: Story Mode season 1
    Take control of an adventure set in the Minecraft universe. The future of the world is at stake, and your decisions shape the story -- so choose wisely!

added today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Netflix re-releasing Neon Genesis Evangelion next year: a brilliant, landmark TV series that has been criminally unavailable in recent years.

The deal includes End of Evangelion - one of my favourite films, and as far as I’m concerned one of the greatest animated films ever made. This has been particularly hard to find over the last decade or so, so pretty big and exciting deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Little bit off topic but Prime send to be upping the quality of its movie content a bit. The likes of the Ritual, I, Tonya, Molly's Game, The Post, Detroit and Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot all added over the last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This the IE version of Prime, or UK?

pixelburp wrote: »
    This the IE version of Prime, or UK?

Irish version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Little bit off topic but Prime send to be upping the quality of its movie content a bit. The likes of the Ritual, I, Tonya, Molly's Game, The Post, Detroit and Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot all added over the last week.

I'm told the patriot (on prime) is very good. Intend to watch it soon, actually turned it on last night but decide it was too late to watch it. Or tbh my wife decided it was too late to watch it..

Fian wrote: »
    I'm told the patriot (on prime) is very good. Intend to watch it soon, actually turned it on last night but decide it was too late to watch it. Or tbh my wife decided it was too late to watch it..

The wife watched all of the Patriot and loved it. I don't see a bit of it. Watched all the Exorcist and Homecoming which was really good - fantastic cinematography in it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice to hear, that stuff has all been on the UK one for a month or two. Girl With all the Gifts was also added recently, though that may be UK only for now.

TV show wise: Sneaky Pete, Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Man in the High Castle should be on the irish one and are all well worth a watch imo.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice to hear, that stuff has all been on the UK one for a month or two. Girl With all the Gifts was also added recently, though that may be UK only for now.

TV show wise: Sneaky Pete, Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Man in the High Castle should be on the irish one and are all well worth a watch imo.

The last man on Earth is Great from what I've seen of it.

The interface with Prime is absolutely pants though. It's only through Justwatch.com that you've any hope of knowing what's added.

I'm just about to start episode 4 in the first season of Line of Duty.

It's a recommendation I picked up from this thread, and I'm really liking it so far.

Fred
    This documentary follows Freddie Foreman's rise from poverty to wealth, becoming one of East London's most notorious gangsters of the 1960s

Winchester(helen mirren)
    The heiress to a vast firearms fortune constructs a mansion with a maze-like interior to ward off the spirits of those killed by her family's product
    added today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I'm just about to start episode 4 in the first season of Line of Duty.

It's a recommendation I picked up from this thread, and I'm really liking it so far.

10/10. Utterly brilliant series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Mickeroo wrote: »

Watched teh first 3 episodes of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel yesterday.

Really enjoyed it. Excellent.

i agree with poster above that interface is terrible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Started The Last Kingdom over the weekend, very impressed thus far. Haven't found anything I like as much as this in ages.

Should we start an amazon prime recommended thread?

peteeeed wrote: »

There already is one sort of: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103288531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Started The Last Kingdom over the weekend, very impressed thus far.

Have you watched Vikings, if so, how does it compare? I never heard of it before until it started appearing in my recommendations list, possibly because I added Norsemen to my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Maybe better if the title of this thread could be edited to include Prime as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Maybe better if the title of this thread could be edited to include Prime as well

No thanks. Don’t want to hear about shows I can’t watch.

thats a good idea

thats a good idea

Nah, keep them separate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As mentioned above, there’s already a general online streaming thread for recommendations here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103288531

Just note that it’s for film recommendations - this thread is the only one we’ve made allowances for TV as well given it would be impossible to moderate otherwise :pac: Obviously there’s always the pertinent forums over in the Television category for all your TV related needs :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hurrache wrote: »
    Have you watched Vikings, if so, how does it compare? I never heard of it before until it started appearing in my recommendations list, possibly because I added Norsemen to my list.

Vikings is great, especially the first few seasons. The last kingdom is equally enjoyable but I think its a bit 'softer'. This doesn't take away from it though.
    They share a lot of similarities and if you like one you should probability ike the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Outlaw King is good. Its sortof like Braveheart but maybe a bit more historically accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

‘Extremis’ - a short documentary (less than 30 minutes long, I think) about the difficulties in making end-of-life decisions for your ailing loved ones. Very intense and thought-provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

The Resistance Banker is good though I would have preferred they used the original Dutch language with subtitles rather than superimposing English on people not speaking English.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Genuinely thought it said hidden games. Muy disappointo

• Advertisement

How to Get Over a Breakup
    A heartbroken ad copywriter living in Lima, Peru, is inspired to write a blog about life as a single woman and is surprised by her website's success.

added today

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Vikings is great, especially the first few seasons. The last kingdom is equally enjoyable but I think its a bit 'softer'. This doesn't take away from it though.
    They share a lot of similarities and if you like one you should probability ike the other.

Cheers. Yeah, Vikings is great. Incidentally the second half of the existing season just started this week, I'll have to wait for RTE or History here to show it.

Might give Last Kingdom a go so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Kominsky Method. I'm two episodes in and it's probably the best comedy series I've watched in quite some time.
    Stella cast and the writing is as sharp as a knife. Superb.

Uncharted wrote: »
    10/10. Utterly brilliant series.

I'm a few episodes into season 3 now, and totally loving it.

It's finds like this which make me have no qualms about paying the Netflix monthly fee, and also why this thread is such a great resource. I wouldn't have taken a chance on Line of Duty only for the amount of mentions it got in here.

I'll need another show to launch into when I finish LoD soon. Are there any other non-US detective shows similar to LoD on Netflix which I should watch?

I'm Luthered up btw, and I completed Sherlock before watching LoD. Luther and Sherlock, two shows which start out great but are let down by their conclusions/most recent seasons IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'll need another show to launch into when I finish LoD soon. Are there any other non-US detective shows similar to LoD on Netflix which I should watch?

Unforgotten and River are both worth watching imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Happy Valley is a brilliant show. Not quite detective type show but lots of police stuff and generally brilliant acting and gripping storylines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dulux99 wrote: »
    Happy Valley is a brilliant show. Not quite detective type show but lots of police stuff and generally brilliant acting and gripping storylines.

Happy Valley wipes the floor with Line of Duty. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Unforgotten and River are both worth watching imo.

Yeah, most things with Nicola Walker in are worth watching. Great actress.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah, most things with Nicola Walker in are worth watching. Great actress.

Ya she's great. Have you seen the Split, where she plays a divorce lawyer? Not as good as Unforgotten and River but still very watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I watched bumping mics tonight, I actually didn't expect it to be as funny as it was

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement