Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

Ya she's great. Have you seen the Split, where she plays a divorce lawyer? Not as good as Unforgotten and River but still very watchable.

She was excellent in split. Must get on to the other two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Daredevil cancelled

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

peteeeed wrote: »
    Daredevil cancelled

Just Jessica Jones and The Punisher to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Daredevil cancelled

Shame. Third season was actually quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Daredevil cancelled

Ridiculous decision, it's such a good show. I'm extremely disappointed by this news :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtwig wrote: »
    pinksoir wrote: »
    Ridiculous decision, it's such a good show. I'm extremely disappointed by this news :(

Do Netflix reveal viewership/streaming figures? I assume that was behind the decision?

1983 season 1
    In this dark alt-history thriller, a naïve law student and a world-weary detective uncover a conspiracy that has tyrannized Poland for decades.
    Baby
    Death by Magic
    F is for Family: Season 3
    Spy Kids: Mission Critical: Season 2
    A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding
    Nicky Jam: El Ganador
    Rajma Chawal
    Time Share
    Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
    Torn between his duty to the FBI and his disgust with the Nixon administration, high-ranking FBI official Mark Felt becomes an infamous secret source.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Daredevil cancelled

Crazy decision!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do Netflix reveal viewership/streaming figures? I assume that was behind the decision?

going by the press release its moving to Disney possibly

"While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Turtwig wrote: »
    Meh, it wasn't really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

murpho999 wrote: »

Nope, they don't reveal any facts or figures about their stable of shows (bar the occasional self-aggrandizing promotional tweet). It's a pretty jealously guarded secret.

Some 3rd party companies claim to have accurate stats on Netflix viewership but they're nothing more than educated guesses. Supposedly, according to these companies, Daredevil's viewership tanked in season 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Viewership on series on providers like netflix are probably hard to use for any decision whether to keep a series going of cancel.

In the past i would watch a serie like that on tv, every week 1 episode.
    Nowadays, the 12\13 episode a season series i only watch when the entire season is available so i can watch it in 1 go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Viewership had nothing to do with Daredevil being cancelled. It was cancelled for the same reason iron Fist and Luke Cage were, and which Punisher and Jessica Jones will, because of Disney’s new streaming service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

1983 season 1
    In this dark alt-history thriller, a naïve law student and a world-weary detective uncover a conspiracy that has tyrannized Poland for decades.
    Baby
    Death by Magic
    F is for Family: Season 3
    Spy Kids: Mission Critical: Season 2
    A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding
    Nicky Jam: El Ganador
    Rajma Chawal
    Time Share
    Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
    Torn between his duty to the FBI and his disgust with the Nixon administration, high-ranking FBI official Mark Felt becomes an infamous secret source.

added today

Humanity Bureau, Friends Request and Tumbledown added as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Viewership had nothing to do with Daredevil being cancelled. It was cancelled for the same reason iron Fist and Luke Cage were, and which Punisher and Jessica Jones will, because of Disney’s new streaming service.

It's totally hypothetical given the circumstances, but I'm not so sure. Netflix really like nuking popular / well-received shows at the drop of a hat, and bar a few exceptions they seem happy to let shows run 2-4 seasons maximum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

What popular/well received shows have they nuked?

The fact that they gave house of cards another season kinda contradicts that they like doing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I must say I find the amount of love that Line of Duty gets in this thread bizarre.

I gave up halfway through Season 2, I found the plots ridiculous, the acting ropey and the pacing all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

nix wrote: »
    What popular/well received shows have they nuked?

The fact that they gave house of cards another season kinda contradicts that they like doing it :)
    Have to agree Netflix seem to be a lot less likely to cancel shows than most other platforms, although this gradually seems to be changing.

Look at some of the rubbish they gave a second series too.....haters back off I am looking at you!

Netflix don't seem to give much thought to quality/popularity in the first place. They are throwing a lot of money at second rate stuff that the other studios are rejecting. Netflix are trying to fatten their catalogue so it makes sense to cancel after a season or two and spend that money elsewhere.

But killing all the Marvel shows (assuming JJ and Punisher cancellations follow next year) is down to a broader shift taking place in the industry, of which the Disney service is just a harbinger. Netflix's licensed catalogue is going to shrink, or "thin" as Warner's streaming CEO put it, as Disney, Fox, Warners etc end their deals with Netflix and start to pull their content. Even if this isn't the exact reason for the Marvel cancellations, Netflix obviously doesn't want to be promoting a competitor's brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm a few episodes into season 3 now, and totally loving it.

It's finds like this which make me have no qualms about paying the Netflix monthly fee, and also why this thread is such a great resource. I wouldn't have taken a chance on Line of Duty only for the amount of mentions it got in here.

I'll need another show to launch into when I finish LoD soon. Are there any other non-US detective shows similar to LoD on Netflix which I should watch?

I'm Luthered up btw, and I completed Sherlock before watching LoD. Luther and Sherlock, two shows which start out great but are let down by their conclusions/most recent seasons IMO.

No Offence.

Not on Netflix, but you'll get it on the All4 player, is actually pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Started season 3 of F is for family, its off to a very good start with the first few episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

EPAndlee wrote:
    Started season 3 of F is for family, its off to a very good start with the first few episodes

Looking forward to this.
    I think I'm gonna save it for over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 QuickEmail

I must say I find the amount of love that Line of Duty gets in this thread bizarre.

I gave up halfway through Season 2, I found the plots ridiculous, the acting ropey and the pacing all over the place.

Shame on you :p

Hurt locker
    Training day
    Impractical jokers season 1
    21 Sarfarosh: Saragarhi 1897: Season 1
    Accident
    Ayotzinapa, El paso de la Tortuga
    Battle
    Battle Drone
    Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager
    Borderline: Season 2
    Break Up 100
    Chal Bhaag
    Christiane Amanpour: Sex & Love Around the World: Season 1
    Cop Out
    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Season 4, Episode 7
    Crossroads: One Two Jaga
    Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
    Don’t Go Breaking My Heart 2
    Don’t Think Twice
    Faraar
    Great Interior Design Challenge: Season 2
    Helios
    Journey’s End
    Life Without Principle
    Line Walker
    The Little Mermaid (2018)
    Little Singham aur Kaal ka Mahajaal
    Lord of War
    Memories of The Alhambra: Season 1, Episode 1
    My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rollercoaster of Friendship
    Once a Gangster
    Power Paandi
    SDU: Sex Duties Unit
    Set Off
    Syriana
    Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Black Sails
    I watched the first three seasons so long ago I'd forgotten most of it so I've started from the very start. I love it. Some great storylines and entertaining throughout. There are 4 seasons in total. Very underrated imo

Cathedral of the Sea
    Jaysus life was tough as a medieval peasant. Your lord could ruin your life and your family and not a thing you could do about it. Quite a long series set in Spain. I love these medieval dramas and it had a satisfying ending. Loved it!

7 seconds
    I watched 6 episodes and gave up. Couldn't care less about any of the characters or where it was going. A miss imo. About crooked cops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I'm a few episodes into season 3 now, and totally loving it.

It's finds like this which make me have no qualms about paying the Netflix monthly fee, and also why this thread is such a great resource. I wouldn't have taken a chance on Line of Duty only for the amount of mentions it got in here.

I'll need another show to launch into when I finish LoD soon. Are there any other non-US detective shows similar to LoD on Netflix which I should watch?

I'm Luthered up btw, and I completed Sherlock before watching LoD. Luther and Sherlock, two shows which start out great but are let down by their conclusions/most recent seasons IMO.

Happy Valley is in quite a similar vein. I thoroughly enjoyed it. British small-town style crime series. Sara Lancaster steals the show. Highly recommended.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I like Line of Duty a lot but it's very silly and over the top compared to Happy Valley which I found reasonably grounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hurt locker

Great, not seen this for ages, incredible film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I like Line of Duty a lot but it's very silly and over the top compared to Happy Valley which I found reasonably grounded.

Interesting. Was considering Line of Duty as my next watch, but not a huge fan of Jed Mercurio, found Bodyguard over the top and a little ridiculous, especially some of the acting. Seems Line of Duty could be in a similar vein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Interesting. Was considering Line of Duty as my next watch, but not a huge fan of Jed Mercurio, found Bodyguard over the top and a little ridiculous, especially some of the acting. Seems Line of Duty could be in a similar vein.

Bodyguard is far worse. I recommend season 4 to begin with for LOD. It’s fairly self contained. And the acting isn’t ropey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Empresses of the Palace...not the usual kind of series! Apparently the original had 76 episodes, this was reduced to 6. It was very well done in terms of sets and costumes but a completely - to western eyes - foreign ambiance. Reasonably incomprehensible and exasperating but somehow compulsive. Very pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Man Who Invented Christmas is a lovely tale of Charles Dickens and how he came to write The Christmas Carol. Good family movie for older kids and filmed in Dublin to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

cmac2009 wrote: »

Agreed. Bodyguard was ridiculous. Dont understand all the praise it garnered

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see The Good Place is coming to E4 soon. Does that mean it'll be going off Netflix?

I started watching it recently and can't say I'm loving it but I'm wondering do I need to binge it now before it disappears?

I see The Good Place is coming to E4 soon. Does that mean it'll be going off Netflix?

I started watching it recently and can't say I'm loving it but I'm wondering do I need to binge it now before it disappears?

No they’re getting season 1.

• Advertisement

Netflix seem to have a per-week airing agreement, I'd be surprised if that got canned midway through the third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 QuickEmail

Bodyguard is far worse. I recommend season 4 to begin with for LOD. It’s fairly self contained. And the acting isn’t ropey.

LOD is one of the least self contained shows I can think of season by season wise. Watching it from the start is essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

looksee wrote: »
    Empresses of the Palace...not the usual kind of series! Apparently the original had 76 episodes, this was reduced to 6. It was very well done in terms of sets and costumes but a completely - to western eyes - foreign ambiance. Reasonably incomprehensible and exasperating but somehow compulsive. Very pretty.

Agreed. Got really drawn in and binge-watched most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

EPAndlee wrote: »

Its the best show ever!!

QuickEmail wrote: »
    LOD is one of the least self contained shows I can think of season by season wise. Watching it from the start is essential

No it’s not. I watched season 4 first. there’s literally one reference to a previous season, the overall arc isn’t really relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No it’s not. I watched season 4 first. there’s literally one reference to a previous season, the overall arc isn’t really relevant.

By knowing what happened in the previous 3 seasons, you know the characters and how they got there, how they work together, what their trust is based on, the scars they carry etc.
    That really does add to the enjoyment of season 4.
    Disagree if you want but most posters would seem to agree.
    Anyway, let's move on, I can't wait for season 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

1983. An alternate-history drama series about Poland if things had gone the other way, and Al Gore is president of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I love Still Game and The Windsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

1983. An alternate-history drama series about Poland if things had gone the other way, and Al Gore is president.

Of Poland????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    By knowing what happened in the previous 3 seasons, you know the characters and how they got there, how they work together, what their trust is based on, the scars they carry etc.
    That really does add to the enjoyment of season 4.
    Disagree if you want but most posters would seem to agree.
    Anyway, let's move on, I can't wait for season 5 :)

No, it's a run of the mill cop show. Season 4 is grand on its own. You're giving it far too much credit.

Plus, yer man that plays the lead is a woeful actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

timthumbni wrote: »
    Of Poland????
    No. Of America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Narcos is brilliant, absolutely brilliant

hope it gets released to terrestrial telly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pelvis wrote: »
    No, it's a run of the mill cop show.

I've seen plenty of run of the mill cop shows, and it really isn't one at all, it's most enjoyable.

But different posters have different likes and dislikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pretty inaccurate.

You need to watch them from the start OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

David tenant in bad samiritan is scary. Very good film

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement