Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

sugarman wrote: »
    I gave it 15mins, absolutely utter rubbish. A toned back / dumbed down Jimmy Carr just doesn't work whatever the shows format. But the guests were terrible, everyone came off as awkward and the laughs were forced. You could tell it was primarily aimed at a US audience.

Finished this earlier. Brilliant watch. Great insight to the mess and shambles that went on behind the scenes. I dont think itd have worked out as well if things had went to plan.
    I'd recommend the four year plan about QPR , incredible watch

Escape plan 2 : Hades
    The big short

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Us and them. Romance/Drama set in Beijing around Chinese New Year. Possibly the only modern Chinese film of genuine quality. It has a perfect score on rotten tomatoes but it has plenty of faults, most notably teetering between emotional and mawkish too often. Worth a watch if you have any interest in a glimpse into modern Chinese life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Thought Derry Girls was on Netflix! Can't find it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Which Netflix have you?

I have Irish one and often am told shows are on NEtflix and can never find them.

Must be UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Rake is really really funny. Drops off for the last season but 4 season of quality laughs. I’m really surprised more people haven’t seen it

I've recommended it to a few people. Just starting the final season myself now and there's a big dip in quality. First four seasons were excellent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Bahanaman wrote: »

Not on the Irish or UK Netflix. Its on All4 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I've recommended it to a few people. Just starting the final season myself now and there's a big dip in quality. First four seasons were excellent though.

Season 5 is shocking ,dont waste your time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Started watching Cuckoo, lighthearted fun.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Did anyone watch The Casketeers yet ?
    I thought it was lovely the way this Undertakers business handled the needs of the customers .

Also eye opening to learn how people of a different culture/race conduct their funeral services/burials .

But , Francis , he had me in knots laughing , funny , funny man !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched the first episode of The Fix, it's not good but it was kind of fascinating. It's an American production and they don't really do panel shows. The budget is obviously quite low and it feels like a poor multi-cam sitcom; the audience's laughter feels forces and the camera keeps cutting to other panellists for reaction shots to what's just been said. I won't be watching another episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Watched Bird Box, it's not bad with a good sense of tension but I spent the entire movie remarking on how much Sandra Bullock looks like Michael Jackson.

Bahanaman wrote: »

netflix bought the rights to show it outside the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

cml387 wrote: »
    Watched Bird Box, it's not bad with a good sense of tension but I spent the entire movie remarking on how much Sandra Bullock looks like Michael Jackson.

Ha, that's what me and the missus were saying as well. Pretty off putting.

I enjoyed the film beside that.

Dealt
    From losing his eyesight as a child to achieving global glory, this documentary follows the life and rise of legendary card magician Richard Turner

Hi Score Girl season 1
    A chronic gamer abysmally inept in academics and sports finally meets his match at his usual shady arcade -- and it's his rich classmate, Akira.

The Last Animals
    This sobering documentary highlights the poaching and trafficking of elephants and rhinos, and the activists who will stop at nothing to protect them

The Miracle Season
    Grieving the death of their star player, a high school volleyball team is led by their stern but kind coach to pursue the state championship.

Stand Up and Away! with Brian Regan
    Brian Regan blends his trademark observational stand-up with short sketches and a bit of audience interaction in this hybrid comedy series

Way Back into Love season 1
    After years in the U.S., a Taiwanese immigrant returns to her hometown with a young daughter in tow to assist her father with his bed-and-breakfast.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Absolutely brilliant IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Den Of Thieves, top quality heist movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sugarman wrote: »
    Don't bother with Escape Plan anyway.. As ridiculous as the first film was, it was a bit of mindless fun that saw Stallone and Schwarzenegger really co star a film together for the first time. Solid 6/10 leave your brain at the door stuff.

Hades, is a poor B movie starting Batista and 50 cent bigged up using Stallone's name to try sell it, to what is essentially a cameo appearance by him. Script is poor, acting is poor, visuals are poor.. it's just an all round stinker.

Its pure garbage ,I watched the first one and your right its a watchable.The second is a mess.

Overboard (2018)

The domestics
    In a post-apocalyptic America divided by gang violence, a married couple must pass through several deadly territories on their road to refuge

Mary Shelley

Swimming with men
    Neck-deep in a mid-life crisis, a bored and unhappily married accountant finds solidarity in an all-male, amateur synchronized swimming team
    Added today

Avengers age of Ultron added today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

You was added today aswell.

A clever bookstore manager relies on his savvy Internet know-how to make the woman of his dreams fall in love with him.

Been looking forward to this one for a while, gets good ratings. Half way through the first episode and it looks promising.

Christine
    In a film based on true events, an awkward but ambitious TV reporter struggles to adapt when she's ordered to focus on violent and salacious stories

added today

So the black mirror film lands tomorrow with rumoured multiple paths that you get to choose with 5 hours of footage filmed
    https://theplaylist.net/black-mirror-bandersnatch-netflix-20181226/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

peteeeed wrote: »
    So the black mirror film lands tomorrow with rumoured multiple paths that you get to choose with 5 hours of footage filmed

Looks good

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1078231083559383040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Looking good. My cynicism reserves have taken a hit over the past few days. This should top me up nicely going into 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Street Smart is leaving the 1st of Jan. Seen it when it first arrived on netflix, not a prefect movie but enjoyable Morgan Freeman is brilliant as Fast Black one of the few times hes ever played a really unpleasant character Oscar nominated.

So seeing as it's the end of the year what is your favourite films and shows of the year on Netflix ? As many as you want

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Netflix show of the year for me was easily The Haunting of Hill House. Probably the best "Netflix Original" they've ever done imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Anybody watching Perfume? If you like dark European drama, you'll like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Shows: Narcos: Mexico and El Chapo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So seeing as it's the end of the year what is your favourite films and shows of the year on Netflix ? As many as you want

Is there anyone else like me that can't remember half the stuff they've watched? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The animaged Vincent Van Hoghton film ( Loving Vincent ) was really very good.

Seven Seconds ,
    Time - The Kalief Browder Story ,
    Evil Genius ,
    Wild , Wild Country(?)
    The Final Table ,

Will probably remember the rest after I post :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Binged watched Sunderland Til I Die over the last 2 days. Very interesting. If that is the goings on behind the scenes at a 'smallish' club, it must be crazy logistics at the top Premier League teams.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Binged watched Sunderland Til I Die over the last 2 days. Very interesting. If that is the goings on behind the scenes at a 'smallish' club, it must be crazy logistics at the top Premier League teams.

Yeah finished that today myself and thought it was a good watch. The fact it was such a disaster of season probably contributed to how interesting it was. I might watch the Man City docu on amazon now to contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Haunting of Hill House
    Narcos Mexico

Both brilliant series's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

By this time tomorrow I'll probably be saying Black Mirror was my favourite of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

qwabercd wrote: »

A clever bookstore manager relies on his savvy Internet know-how to make the woman of his dreams fall in love with him.

Been looking forward to this one for a while, gets good ratings. Half way through the first episode and it looks promising.

Is this what happened to Dennis Reynolds when he has left its always sunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

qwabercd wrote: »

Sirsok wrote: »
    Is this what happened to Dennis Reynolds when he has left its always sunny

It looks very stalkery alright from the quick look at trailer I saw.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Seven Seconds ,
    Time - The Kalief Browder Story ,
    Evil Genius ,
    Wild , Wild Country(?)
    The Final Table ,

Will probably remember the rest after I post :o

Love actually??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Just finished Godless. First time in a while that I got into something that I really binge watched and couldn't wait to get to the next episode. Well worth viewing.

Love actually??? ;)

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ozark was another good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

Ru Paul’s Drag Race
    Narcos
    Narcos Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Narcos Mexico was the best by a mile and the best of the series too. I'm surprised that it's gone somewhat under the radar.

Sinner and Ozark both had weak enough but watchable returns after great first seasons. I'm looking forward to Mindhunter coming back next year.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
    In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a dark fantasy novel into a video game. A mind-bending tale with multiple endings.

Selection Day: Season 1
    Two teen cricket prodigies struggle against their overbearing father and a system stacked against them to realize their own ambitions and identities.

Murder Mountain
    In Humboldt County, California, the big business of legal marijuana brings in visitors from around the world. Some are never seen again.

Instant Hotel: Season 1
    Teams of Australian homeowners compete for the title of best Instant Hotel by staying overnight in each other's rentals and rating their experience.

La noche de 12 anos

When Angels Sleep
    After a businessman falls asleep at the wheel and hits a woman with his car, his interactions with her scared friend unleash a string of dark events.

A 12 year night
    Future Uruguayan president José Mujica and his fellow Tupamaro political prisoners fight to survive 12 years of solitary confinement and torture.

The birth reborn 3

Benidorm 9 seasons

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don't feel at home in this world any more was a really enjoyable film.

The Expanse, Fargo, The Punisher and Dirk Gently were series I loved, and would watch several episodes at a time.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

A word of warning when watching the new black mirror , the multiple story lines does not work on all formats

https://twitter.com/newonnetflixuk/status/1078585227633745920?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

A word of warning when watching the new black mirror , the multiple story lines does not work on all formats

https://twitter.com/newonnetflixuk/status/1078585227633745920?s=21

I'm watching it now. I'm in an endless loop of mind ****ery.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished (?) watching Bandersnatch, and thought it was a good Black Mirror entry as well as an impressive application of the "interactive film" idea (a format that, frankly, I'm not entirely keen on - I don't tend to find videogames very good at imitating the strengths of narrative fiction, nor vice versa). The performances were uniformly good, the presentation is robust and the writing, crucially, is strong enough to both justify and make clever use of the possibilities of the format.

Since the comparisons are inevitable, I will throw out the two games this made me think of, albeit in spoiler tags:
    Superhot and The Stanley Parable
    . Frankly, there are far worse things to draw inspiration from.

I quite like the implementation of the interactive element, as well as
    the implementation of both the do-over sections and the "continue?/try again?" type options at the endpoints
    . I have watched several variations of specific aspects, but don't think I'd be arsed going back to the start and trying to chart through each possible decision tree to see the repercussions. Though I have no doubt some faneditor is already busy capturing every possible scene and decision point to assemble into an enormous "Complete Cut" version...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement