Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The last ending I got was where
    he gets the toy back in the past and goes with his mother on the later train while dying in the psychiatrist office
    . I really couldn't be arsed going through the whole thing again.

That was my favourite one. It's the
    Donnie Darko
    ending basically.

There's no need to go through it again really. Most "playthroughs" will give you all the major branches of the narrative. Doing it again will just reveal alternate scenes here or there. There's only 2 and half hours of unique footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got about 1hr in and quit, thought it was rubbish.

And BTW, it's not a new concept, my kids have been watching a show on Netflix which allows them to choose the paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

But from what I've read on here, I didn't experience all endings so now I'm getting confused. I also have an episode of fortitude to watch and need to go to sleep.

Good night all..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I got the same ending mentioned above, felt like the one the writers were working towards but given that the narrative was by design all over the place it didn’t feel particularly rewarding.

For those suggesting they’ve missed out - what it appeared to me is that there’s loads of ‘false’ endings which give you a chance to find a ‘proper’ one, and then there’s ‘proper’ endings which jump to the credits and dump you back to the Netflix menu rather than giving you a do-over. You need to start from scratch to get another one.

In short, I’d just recommend people play The Stanley Parable instead - it’s about as long, tackles the same sort of subject matter in a much cleverer way, and is a whole lot funnier :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

qwabercd wrote: »
    You was added today aswell.

A clever bookstore manager relies on his savvy Internet know-how to make the woman of his dreams fall in love with him.

Been looking forward to this one for a while, gets good ratings. Half way through the first episode and it looks promising.

It's very good.

Ending is good too and series 2 is in production.

I read that Series 1 was coproduction between Netflix (international) and Lifetime cable channel.

Netflix have taken over entirely for season 2 and that is giving the producers more Leeway with language, episode length and storyline.

Season 1 episodes are just 42 minutes to suit the adverts of cable TV for a one hour slot and language had to suit middle America.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I got the same ending mentioned above, felt like the one the writers were working towards but given that the narrative was by design all over the place it didn’t feel particularly rewarding.

For those suggesting they’ve missed out - what it appeared to me is that there’s loads of ‘false’ endings which give you a chance to find a ‘proper’ one, and then there’s ‘proper’ endings which jump to the credits and dump you back to the Netflix menu rather than giving you a do-over. You need to start from scratch to get another one.

In short, I’d just recommend people play The Stanley Parable instead - it’s about as long, tackles the same sort of subject matter in a much cleverer way, and is a whole lot funnier :pac:

Ah yes, The Stanley Parable was one of the funniest piece of media I consumed over the last few years. Every loop revealed a new branch of hilarity I didn't expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A few stand up specials by Sam kinison , Bill Hicks , Tim Allen and a few others

Taylor swift reputation live in Dallas

Silence of the lambs

Traffik
    A couple off for a romantic weekend in the mountains are accosted by a biker gang. Alone in the mountains, Brea and John must defend themselves against the gang, who will stop at nothing to protect their secrets.

Ghost Stories (2018)
    A TV host makes a living debunking the paranormal, but when challenged to investigate three unsolved cases, he begins to doubt his own skepticism

Instafamous season 1
    Self-made social media celebrities share the stories of how they built their online empires and where they plan to take their unexpected fame next.

Conan without borders
    Late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien hits the road in this special that brings him and his sense of humor to far-flung destinations.

Dropin cash Los Angeles season 1
    This Complex series follows the paper trail of musicians and athletes in Los Angeles as they blow through stacks on the finer things in life.

Top Grier 3 seasons
    Social media star Hayes Grier returns to North Carolina for a reality series packed with action sports, pranks and romantic escapades

For the win season 1
    Frisbee national champion Brodie Smith challenges inventive athletes across the US to an exhibition match in the unconventional sports they've created.
    Genesis
    Escape plan
    Every day (2018)
    Death wish ( 2018)
    211 ( Nicolas cage)
    Dirty Grandpa
    Escape Plan
    The Pianist
    Tim Minchin And The Heritage Orchestra Live
    Tim Minchin: So F**king Rock
    Whitney Cummings: Money Shot

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    Ghost Stories (2018)
    A TV host makes a living debunking the paranormal, but when challenged to investigate three unsolved cases, he begins to doubt his own skepticism

That was quick! Missed this in the cinema but heard great things, will check it out

That was quick! Missed this in the cinema but heard great things, will check it out

Me too , got great reviews 82% on rotten tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_stories_2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Knine wrote: »
    Enjoying "You"

A few steps above A Bunny Boiler

"You" is absolute scutter.

Probably the most unlikeable cast in tv history

Absolutely insufferable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Basically they designed it so that you can loopback and experience all the major branches of the story without having to start over. Once you experience all of them the credits will roll with no option to loopback. But which ending you get last will be different for everyone depending on their choices. As I said though, one ending (
    the Pearl ending with Colin's daughter
    ) does stand out as kinda being the true ending but it's possible to get it quite early.

My original concept of the the true ending is one where
    the review is 5/5
    . Then I realised there were other endings equally valid. It’s actually clever that when you get to a credits ending there are other pathways the movie helps you find.

But there’s no real proper ending. There are bad endings - basically where you have to go back because there was no story completed that way (an obvious one in the office the first day), and you dont get to seethe end credits. But all the credit endings are equally valid as the real final scene.

I think people are over analysing this. It’s designed to be like those books, and if you ever did read those books part of the fun is trying to get to all significant endings. But those books weren’t really books in the narrative sense, and neither were they games; and this isn’t a movie either nor a game. Somewhere in between.

The way it works technically is quite clever.

Btw not only did the protagonist not have free will because our choices, but obviously we are equally constrained in our choices. Which is pretty obvious in one violent scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Just finished Bird Box and it's all over the place. It starts off great, all the right hooks, good line up of actors, but then.. half way through it's like the writer fell asleep or gave up on the story and handed it to their teenage kids to finish.

The ending amounts to nothing. What were those things? They stopped being scary and became ridiculous.

What a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Just finished Bird Box and it's all over the place. It starts off great, all the right hooks, good line up of actors, but then.. half way through it's like the writer fell asleep or gave up on the story and handed it to their teenage kids to finish.

The ending amounts to nothing. What were those things? They stopped being scary and became ridiculous.

What a waste.

I liked it but I prefer a movie leaving questions rather than all answers given.

For example, the book "The Dome" by Stephen King and the subsequent series both drove me crazy. He got to the end and had to explain all, and wedged in alien nonsense right at the end without any previous hint.

You could argue similar with the Bird Box but you were fairly sure who was the cause early on and it still left questions about what next at the end. I did watch it with a lovely wine so maybe I'm missing something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Bill Hicks collection Sane Man, Relentless, Reflections, Revelations & One Night Stand were all added today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Murder Mountain , well worth watching imo .
    Missing people , people just disappearing , murdered , illegal/legal cannabis farms , it's one fcuked up County .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Damien360 wrote: »
    I liked it but I prefer a movie leaving questions rather than all answers given.

For example, the book "The Dome" by Stephen King and the subsequent series both drove me crazy. He got to the end and had to explain all, and wedged in alien nonsense right at the end without any previous hint.

You could argue similar with the Bird Box but you were fairly sure who was the cause early on and it still left questions about what next at the end. I did watch it with a lovely wine so maybe I'm missing something :)

Yeah, I can see why it has very contrasting reviews. To be fair, the actors were great. I've always had a high regard for Sandra Bullock. Malkovich is excellent and loved the walk in from Tom Hollander.. but
    I don't get why they had that jump/skip of five years, it just wasn't grafted into the story well enough, nor her journey on the river. And the very end leaned toward the twee side, a bit too much I thought.

The first half was great, I was intrigued.. but in the end it didn't hang together well enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

It was bang average at best. Would find it hard to recommend unless you’re a huge Sandra Bullock fan. Did absolutely nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ghost Stories is great - one of the few anthology films that really worked together as a whole. I loved it.

tomorrow

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Season 3
    Tidying Up with Marie Kondo: Season 1
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
    Comedians of the World: Season 1
    Pinky Malinky: Season 1
    Pacific Rim
    The Witches
    Hitch
    Valentine’s Day
    The Blind Side
    The Fault in Our Stars
    Escape Room
    The Ottoman Lieutenant
    Slasher: Guilty Party
    Murder Party
    Zookeeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

peteeeed wrote: »
    tomorrow

The Blind Side

Lovely I was waiting to see the first one before getting stuck into Birdbox :D

DvwPmYeWwAEmffW.jpg

Caddyshack
    Conor McGregor : notorious
    The hero
    Ideal home ( Paul Rudd , Steve coogan )
    Kicks
    Doctor Who season 10'
    La nuit a dévoré le monde (The Night Eats the World)
    After an overnight zombie attack, a musician wallows in the boredom and isolation of possibly being the only one living among the undead

The Paper ( novine) season 2
    Pokémon the movie ( 2017)
    Sleepless
    Also added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Watched about 7 minutes of the first episode of The Fix and was ready to kill myself.

Does Katherine Ryan have something on Jimmy Carr that's why she keeps getting work especially on his panel shows.

Did Jimmy #MeToo her? Now that is the reason we all have to suffer as well.

I've watched a few episodes of this and have found it pretty funny so far. Katherine Ryan is easily as good as any of the other comedians doing the rounds on these shows, I really don't get the criticism aimed at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I got a mail for a free month return which I used seems to be the SD quality and 1 device but have 2 €50 gift cards now I used one already but was wondering what streaming quality they are? Anyway of finding out I'm still 3 weeks with the free month thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've watched a few episodes of this and have found it pretty funny so far. Katherine Ryan is easily as good as any of the other comedians doing the rounds on these shows, I really don't get the criticism aimed at her.

Katherine Ryan is very funny. And she takes on some heavy targets. There's a large group of people who won't find her funny as she's female.

This show is a miss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody watching Perfume? If you like dark European drama, you'll like this.

Yikes you weren't exaggerating when you said it was dark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

just threw on Bird box... any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

mrmorgan wrote: »
    I thought it was dirt, opinions vary however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Good first 20 minutes then goes to ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I thought it was decent enough. Not fantastic but definitely watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I enjoyed Bandersnatch, and while I still prefer to have a story just told, rather than stop and have choices, and I also thought the plot was not as interesting as most other Black Mirrors, what WAS very interesting was being made to consider how actions and decisions can alter our lives so much.

But some of the choices were odd, and there was only ever 2 (sometimes one was quite extreme, like committing murder, where the other one was do nothing) I suppose that was the point tho - the illusion of choice.

One thing I think BM relies on too much is having the aftermath or exposition of an episode played out on news programs. Lot of shows do that but its kind of lazy and tired by now. I enjoyed the 80sness tho, when done right it always strikes a chord with me, having been born in 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Katherine Ryan is very funny. And she takes on some heavy targets. There's a large group of people who won't find her funny as she's female.

This show is a miss though.

Watched the Katherine Ryan stand up last night and really enjoyed it, very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just my own two cents on Bandersnatch- enjoyed the concept, novelty and technical execution of the idea, but it didn't work for me at all in the end.

Was just massively confusing and the editing (for obvious reasons) felt, and was, all over the place.

Great on paper, but not much fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yikes you weren't exaggerating when you said it was dark!

Another recommend for this. Pulls few punches. Well acted and solid storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mentioned before here but some stuff deserves to be mentioned again

Only saw 3 episodes so far but cant wait to be home for the rest of Dirty Money tonight.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I thought it was decent enough. Not fantastic but definitely watchable

half ways through, i am enjoying it so far.

will watch the rest tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

One thing I think BM relies on too much is having the aftermath or exposition of an episode played out on news programs. Lot of shows do that but its kind of lazy and tired by now. I enjoyed the 80sness tho, when done right it always strikes a chord with me, having been born in 1980.

I did have a giggle at the news report of Dad's murder, post chopping up, with the headline "Dad found in 8 bits"

half ways through, i am enjoying it so far.

will watch the rest tonight

so i finished it and i must say I enjoyed it.

now off to google to see some theories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just watched the first episode of "You" and it was fantastic.

so i finished it and i must say I enjoyed it.

now off to google to see some theories

one thing that annoyed me is why they didnt name the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

One thing I’ve discovered recently thanks to Netflix, Friends does not age well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I did have a giggle at the news report of Dad's murder, post chopping up, with the headline "Dad found in 8 bits"

Didnt notice that , clever enough pun/reference.

One whack from a skinny kid with an ashtray being all it took seemed a bit unrealistic to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just finished watching You, really good show but a few things I can’t understand
    Beck is dead and found murdered yet Paco saw her screaming in the basement telling him to open the door that Joe is going to kill her, now I know he knows this is true as he saw him kill his mums evil boyfriend and closed the door probably out of some weird loyalty for Joe killing his mums boyfriend but surely a kid couldn’t keep a big secret like that, let a young woman like Beck be killed and not say anything to even his mum and then not be even freaked out one bit by Joe, fair enough if he only ever knew Joe to kill only the step dad but to kill his girlfriend and not say anything, I really don’t buy that.
    And what evidence did he frame on the therapist guy, ya he buried the bodies in his back garden, how did he do that without being seen? How does he transport these bodies from a shop on a Main Street to his car without being seen? It’s pretty unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

fin12 wrote: »
    Just finished watching You, really good show but a few things I can’t understand
    Beck is dead and found murdered yet Paco saw her screaming in the basement telling him to open the door that Joe is going to kill her, now I know he knows this is true as he saw him kill his mums evil boyfriend and closed the door probably out of some weird loyalty for Joe killing his mums boyfriend but surely a kid couldn’t keep a big secret like that, let a young woman like Beck be killed and not say anything to even his mum and then not be even freaked out one bit by Joe, fair enough if he only ever knew Joe to kill only the step dad but to kill his girlfriend and not say anything, I really don’t buy that.
    And what evidence did he frame on the therapist guy, ya he buried the bodies in his back garden, how did he do that without being seen? How does he transport these bodies from a shop on a Main Street to his car without being seen? It’s pretty unrealistic.
    I took it that Paco would stay quiet out of loyalty to Joe.Paco had a fairly ****ty life and Joe seemed to be his only friend and maybe a bit of a mentor to him.Similar to the way Mooney and Joe were.

There was a back entrance to the book store so he could use that to move bodies from the basement.Still hard to move bodies around undetected but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Dogs of Berlin-kick ass

Dismissed
    pretty liars season 7

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finished Season 4 of Peaky Blinders. Such an awesome show. Is there a Season 5 coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Finished Season 4 of Peaky Blinders. Such an awesome show. Is there a Season 5 coming?

https://www.tvtime.com/en/show/270915

Marked as still running and that site is quite reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Been watching James Acaster's specials over the holidays and they are hilarious, I'm going to keep an eye out for any Dublin gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

den87 wrote: »
    One thing I’ve discovered recently thanks to Netflix, Friends does not age well.

In my house it's never been off the air between channel four(do they still have it?) and one of the Comedy Central channels is always showing a block of eight episodes.
    It's absolute dross.
    Hard to understand how such an average sitcom was that big a part of the zeitgeist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

While ago I seen that a film and few more seasons are coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement