Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That trailer's weird, it felt like it was more dramedy than the daftness of the actual show; maybe it's just me.

I quite liked the documentary episode. Definitely something different, and latched onto the undercurrent of Kimmy's life in the bunker in a way that was only ever hinted at. Unconventional but I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I've come to the conclusion hes actually not very good and still living off the office (which was wayyyyyyy better with Steve Carrell), I used enjoy his podcasts with Karl Pilkington and Merchant, but as an actor / writer, hes up to f**k all.

Extras is pure rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

Couldn't disagree more on the Office, the UK version was a far better show. Extra's was overall decent but nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You can't even compare UK and US Office.. I love them both but they're related by name alone, they're two completely different shows!

The UK Office was a breath of fresh air.. it was witty, well-observed, sometimes edgy.

The US Office was also excellent - very well-written, with an equally fantastic supporting cast to Carrell's show-stealing Michael - though it was often FAR more "slapsticky" than the UK show it was based on.

Having just rewatched the US Office in the last two months in it's entirety.. the final 2 seasons without Carrell were an absolute waste of time.. but the UK show ended on a high IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The UK Office was a masterpiece!

76AYV0m.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i hated the first season of the US office as it had to follow the same story lines as the original and the US characters just weren't up to it (Tim& Dawn way better than Jim & Pam) but it did improve after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Is there no love for Derek? Gervais best work and IMO the best English TV show in the last 10+ years.

Is there no love for Derek? Gervais best work and IMO the best English TV show in the last 10+ years.

the funny bits were very funny but a bit too sentimental at times

Gervais is at his best when working with Stephen Merchant (the office, extras , Life's Too Short, Cemetery Junction (which i think is very underrated )
    Ghost town was ok
    invention of lying was terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

While I'm a fan of some of Gervais's work, Derek was cringey, and really poor.

It reminded me of Ben Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Basq wrote: »
    You can't even compare UK and US Office.. I love them both but they're related by name alone, they're two completely different shows!

The UK Office was a breath of fresh air.. it was witty, well-observed, sometimes edgy.

The US Office was also excellent - very well-written, with an equally fantastic supporting cast to Carrell's show-stealing Michael - though it was often FAR more "slapsticky" than the UK show it was based on.

Having just rewatched the US Office in the last two months in it's entirety.. the final 2 seasons without Carrell were an absolute waste of time.. but the UK show ended on a high IMO.

I sort of agree and also I don't. :D

Much as admire the original Office for the ground it broke I always found it a tough watch; more excruciating than funny.

The US Office is genuinely one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think people hold against it the fact that it's an American adaptation and they have a bad track record. But there was a serious pedigree of talent involved in the show. I wouldn't describe it as slapsticky at all. Definitely more far-fetched than the UK version but the writing and performances are sublime.

First season (only six episodes) is before they find their feet and the last two seasons are definitely weaker, and suffer more on rewatches, but still contain some great scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Finished dogs of Berlin,pretty good overall, should have left out that 'football' coverage though. Definitely not tame anyways.

I'm quite enjoying ' titans ' it's bat**** crazy and very violent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just thinking with the Marvel series likely finished after Jessica Jones, what series have we coming in the future?
    I know we have the new Stranger Things, Lucifer season 4 and I know they have the Narnia and Locke & Key shows in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just thinking with the Marvel series likely finished after Jessica Jones, what series have we coming in the future?
    I know we have the new Stranger Things, Lucifer season 4 and I know they have the Narnia and Locke & Key shows in the pipeline.

The new series I'm most interested in are The Witcher, The Dark Crystal, Nightflyers, and Our Planet (Attenborough-narrated series). Not sure of the exact release dates.

How could I forget The Dark Crystal. Looking forward to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucifer season 4 is being made by amazon

I was thinking that as well since they showed the first 3 here, but Netflix was the saviour. I googled to confirm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Extras is pure rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

Completely disagree. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was thinking
    that as well since they showed the first 3 here, but Netflix was the saviour. I googled to confirm

Excellent I really though amazon had won the race for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Any good international series or movies pop up or recommend lately ?

Loved trapped, deadwind, money heist occupied etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

spuddy90 wrote: »

Season 2 of Trapped has started, though I don't see it online anywhere.

The Punisher Season 2

Grace and Frankie season 5

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 EP1
    After a century of silence, war erupts between the Federation and Klingon Empire, with a disgraced Starfleet officer at the center of the conflict

Trolls: The Beat Goes On! season 5

IO (2019)
    As a young scientist searches for a way to save a dying Earth, she finds a connection with a man who's racing to catch the last shuttle off the planet

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (2019) 1hr 37m [15] The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience on a posh private island, but it failed spectacularly in the hands of a cocky entrepreneur

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike Season 1
    In this funny and provocative series, rapper and activist Killer Mike puts his revolutionary ideas about achieving social change into action..

Patria (Spanish) Paco Ignacio Taibo II brings his book trilogy to life, highlighting Mexico's history in 1854-1867, a period he considers foundational to the country

Carmen Sandiego Season 1
    A master thief who uses her skills for good, Carmen Sandiego travels the world foiling V.I.L.E.'s evil plans -- with help from her savvy sidekicks
    ED TV (feel good Matthew McConaughey comedy)

K-9

Pitch Perfect

Paranorman

Senna

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Lady-Like
    Share: After she pushes her best friend Kort to date a handsome transfer student, college student Allie is left to tackle adulthood on her own.

Legends of Strength Season 1
    From a circus entertainer to a grip master, meet the bodybuilding heroes who defied physical limits and redefined the meaning of strength

Strongland
    From Spain's countryside to Scotland's stony terrain, this collection of uplifting documentaries explores the cultural roots of great strongman traditions.

Memory Love season 1
    Losing her memory -- and her boyfriend -- after a car accident, Jia-en crosses paths with a heart transplant recipient who helps her recall her past.

Added today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

1st ep of S2 of Star Trek Discovery and Punisher Season 2 was also added today.

1st ep of S2 of Star Trek Discovery and Punisher Season 2 was also added today.

I'm still adding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is trapped on Irish netflix? I cant seem to find it.
    I watched a couple of episodes online but never went back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Currently most of the way through The Break, which is set in Belgium. Pretty dark, in some ways, but have enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

peteeeed wrote: »
    I'm still adding :)

ah right haha :)

ah right haha :)

there is a lot today , some decent stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

IO (2019)
    As a young scientist searches for a way to save a dying Earth, she finds a connection with a man who's racing to catch the last shuttle off the planet

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (2019) 1hr 37m [15] The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience on a posh private island, but it failed spectacularly in the hands of a cocky entrepreneur

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike Season 1
    In this funny and provocative series, rapper and activist Killer Mike puts his revolutionary ideas about achieving social change into action..

Patria (Spanish) Paco Ignacio Taibo II brings his book trilogy to life, highlighting Mexico's history in 1854-1867, a period he considers foundational to the country

Carmen Sandiego Season 1
    A master thief who uses her skills for good, Carmen Sandiego travels the world foiling V.I.L.E.'s evil plans -- with help from her savvy sidekicks
    ED TV (feel good Matthew McConaughey comedy)

K-9

Pitch Perfect

Paranorman

Senna

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Lady-Like
    Share: After she pushes her best friend Kort to date a handsome transfer student, college student Allie is left to tackle adulthood on her own.

Legends of Strength Season 1
    From a circus entertainer to a grip master, meet the bodybuilding heroes who defied physical limits and redefined the meaning of strength

Strongland
    From Spain's countryside to Scotland's stony terrain, this collection of uplifting documentaries explores the cultural roots of great strongman traditions.

Memory Love season 1
    Losing her memory -- and her boyfriend -- after a car accident, Jia-en crosses paths with a heart transplant recipient who helps her recall her past.

Added today

Senna is very good, well worth a watch if you have not seen it before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Started You last night, didn't think it would be for me, but then it sucked me in.
    Rather good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yea I cant watch him , or listen to him , Merchant I find very funny and his short lived show on HBO was good.

I seen Gervais on Talking Funny , I think he was way out of his depth and some of the stuff he was saying was pure garbage, but to be fair so what some of the stuff Seinfield was saying was also .

Merchant is nearly always great in a cameo role, recently on the good place. Plays the same type of nerdy bureaucratic character but it works.

Pity that IASIP has started being learny huggy. I started watching at season 12 precisely because there was no arc.

Watched the first few episodes of a comedy series called Schitt's Creek last night and would highly recommend it. Takes a few episodes to get going, but it's quite sharp, would def recommend it.

Decided to try it by after reading this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/schitt-s-creek-the-funniest-sitcom-you-re-probably-not-watching-1.3760330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Merchant is nearly always great in a cameo role, recently on the good place. Plays the same type of nerdy bureaucratic character but it works.

Pity that IASIP has started being learny huggy. I started watching at season 12 precisely because there was no arc.

Merchant does have a certain way about him, but I think hes very funny. I watch the good place excellent show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ffs, it was 5 minutes out of 13 seasons and in a season that took the piss out of Me Too and the gender bathroom arguments going on in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Dark
    La Mante
    Hostages
    The Break
    Nobel
    The Rain
    NSU: German History X
    Dogs of Berlin
    Perfume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there an equivalent thread for Prime video cos I cant locate one. Have it free for next 6 months so looking for any good exclusive series.
    Nearly finished Bosch season 1 as I have read all the books. It is disappointing. Some of the acting is terrible.
    Seen an Ad for Preacher which looks interesting.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Read all those Harry Bosch books myself and actually liked the series.
    But i have really low expectations as it comes to series or movies based on books i have read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

km79 wrote: »
    Is there an equivalent thread for Prime video cos I cant locate one. Have it free for next 6 months so looking for any good exclusive series.
    Nearly finished Bosch season 1 as I have read all the books. It is disappointing. Some of the acting is terrible.

The Americans is great. Seasons 1-5 (though not 6, the final season) on Prime. Highly recommended.

iniall wrote: »
    The Americans is great. Seasons 1-5 (though not 6, the final season) on Prime. Highly recommended.

+1 for The Americans. The male and female leads (the main couple) got married IRL after Season 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

High hopes for this, what better way to spend a cold winter's night than watching rich spoilt clueless kids get tortured and absolutely fleeced :pac:

• Advertisement

High hopes for this, what better way to spend a cold winter's night than watching rich spoilt clueless kids get tortured and absolutely fleeced :pac:

getting really good reviews , i remember it all unfolding at the time

Really looking forward to this as well. Schadenfreude to the nth degree.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Sneaky Pete, Preacher, American Gods, Man in the High Castle all worth a look.

All of Parks and Recreation is on there too if you've never watched it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Sneaky Pete, Preacher, American Gods, Man in the High Castle all worth a look.

All of Parks and Recreation is on there too if you've never watched it.

Parks isn't on the Irish one

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

No not on irish Netflix. I watched all of trapped overseas last year and loved it. Wad hoping for a second season of it but no sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No not on irish Netflix. I watched all of trapped overseas last year and loved it. Wad hoping for a second season of it but no sign
    Ah right thanks

i wanted to combine the 2 but it wasn't a popular choice , i think prime is in with the streaming thread

'the last man on earth' is very good on prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Been watching Line of Duty recently just finished season 4 . Highly recommended on here and can see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

There is a thread but its not updated much,season 3 of the grand tour started today if you're into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

getting really good reviews , i remember it all unfolding at the time

Yeah, Twitter was brilliant to follow when it was going on at the time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement