Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Anyone give Punisher Season 2 a watch yet...only finished season 1 during the week and loved it. Seen a few reviews moaning about
    Jigsaw after the excellent set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Been watching Line of Duty recently just finished season 4 . Highly recommended on here and can see why.

Halfway through season 3. Think its fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Watching Titans at the moment, enjoying it but I think it's giving me nightmares, it's really far out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any recommendations for a good flick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Completely disagree. Really enjoyed it.

Yeah me too. The episode with Bowie was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

seligehgit wrote: »

First movie I thought of was

Arrival and Wind River

Marje wrote: »
    First movie I thought of was

Arrival

Cheers but I've seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The Invitation is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Cheers but I've seen it.

Prisoners
    Mystic River
    Mississippi Burning

• Advertisement

Marje wrote: »
    Prisoners
    Mystic River
    Mississippi Burning

All excellent recommendations by everybody.

I have seen them all.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All excellent recommendations by everybody.

I have seen them all.:)

Might help folks if you at least give a sense of what you're in the mood for, be it genre, tone or whatever. There are a lot of films in the world ;)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Might help folks if you at least give a sense of what you're in the mood for, be it genre, tone or whatever. There are a lot of films in the world ;)

Sincere apologies,action/suspense type stuff.

The Usual Suspects The Departed Arlington Road are particular favourites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d recommend:
    A Chinese Odyssey 1 / 2 - delightfully bonkers martial arts fantasy comedy thing,
    Days of Heaven - an all-time great from an American master
    Shirkers - a superb, deeply personal film about filmmaking and cinema, and a vital purging of demons
    20th Century Women - an acting masterclass that got a bit undeservedly lost in a busy awards season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Sincere apologies,action/suspense type stuff.

The Usual Suspects The Departed Arlington Road are particular favourites.

Den of Thieves and Only the brave are good if you haven't seen them already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Just watched the Fyre Festival documentary.

It's a great watch, but was watching from my behind my hands when the concert-goers started to arrive. I actually felt embarrassed, it was that much of a disaster.

• Advertisement

Just watched the Fyre Festival documentary.

It's a great watch, but was watching from my behind my hands when the concert-goers started to arrive. I actually felt embarrassed, it was that much of a disaster.

Just finished it myself,imagine paying thousands and when you get there you're given 2 easi singles on a bit of bread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Massive thumbs up for Sex Education! Flew threw it the last few days, and really enjoyed it. Really interesting characters that you want to root for, with great heart and properly funny at times. Looking forward to Season 2 already! :)

Just seen the first 2 episodes of "You" and I can't help but watch it as a prequel to Dennis Reynolds life before It's Always Sunny. It's uncanny how similar they look.

While I'm here I finished up The Last Kingdom too. I'd watched the first 2 seasons on BBC and I suppose the fact it took me a few months to get around to it, meant I was on the fence. I really think it was the best season so far, the move to Netflix certainly helped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Fyre

Haha!!! Didn’t feel an ounce of sympathy for anyone except the locals who got stung.

Some of the worst humans imaginable on show. Ja Rule and Billy were some combo, like diarrhea and vomiting at the same time.

Billy in the penthouse running his last scam was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

iniall wrote: »
    The Americans is great. Seasons 1-5 (though not 6, the final season) on Prime. Highly recommended.

+ 1 , so good !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Just watched Fyre,sorry but I couldn’t stop laughing at the reaction of the pampered “social influencers” when they saw the tents at the festival!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the Fyre festival documentary is among the best arguments you’ll ever see against several things: Instagram, influencers, the rich, capitalism in general...

I actually gasped out loud in disbelief when the logistics guy was telling his story about the water tankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Riphagen the Untouchable is good. Its about Dries Riphagen, the Dutch Nazi collaborator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Murder Mountain is worth a watch.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I think the Fyre festival documentary is among the best arguments you’ll ever see against several things: Instagram, influencers, the rich, capitalism in general...

I actually gasped out loud in disbelief when the logistics guy was telling his story about the water tankers.

Agreed, 250,000 for a person to send one tweet . Holy ****
    Horrible people

Michael Inside
    After getting caught up in a drug bust, a quiet young man struggles to adapt to the brutality of prison life
    Project runway seasons 7-10

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I loved watching Secret of the Nile over Christmas-it reminded me a little of Downton Abbey but is based in Eqypt. Has subtitles and a beautiful soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched the first few episodes of a comedy series called Schitt's Creek last night and would highly recommend it. Takes a few episodes to get going, but it's quite sharp, would def recommend it.

Decided to try it by after reading this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/schitt-s-creek-the-funniest-sitcom-you-re-probably-not-watching-1.3760330

I read the same article and have had it on my watch list for a while but hadn't started it. It's really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ozark is one of the best shows that Ive seen since breaking bad
    Its so moody and atmospheric and the music and soundtracks I think really give it an edge over a lot of other shows
    Does anyone know what the music/song is thats used throughout the season during times of impending doom or really important scenes?Its like bell chimes and drum beats, I lovee it, but couldnt find it online

Ozark started off well, but it turned into scooby doo with a new monster/bad guy every week. And the solution to each was to buy their business. Also, for a show about money laundering, the writers clearly don't have a clue about money laundering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I think at this stage, a move to a more appropriate forum is called for so I'll close this and move it to the Film forum.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules,

Buford T. Justice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Threads merged.

Here's a link to the Films charter for anyone previously subscribed to the AH thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032333

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Survivalist. 2018. This is on the US library and I found it to be very good albeit a very slow mover.

In a post apocalyptic Ireland a man lives alone in a forest and has to fight for his life whilst living off his own small allotment and whatever scraps he can gets his hands on.

He then faces major decisions when a woman and her teenage daughter stumble upon his camp looking for food and a place to stay

el diablo wrote: »
    Murder Mountain is worth a watch.

I finished it during the week and its very good ,really hope they are making a second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Best summarised towards end of the doc...

(Paraphrasing)

"A photo of an orange tile uploaded by popular models built the festival up..

.. and a photo of a cheese sandwich uploaded by a guy with 200 followers tore it down!"

Great watch but watching McFarlane consistently lie and swindle was uncomfortable, even more uncomfortable than the accommodation set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just watched inception. Hadn’t seen it in awhile, forgot how epic it feels. Great movie and way to spend sat afternoon.

One of my children sat down to watch it and I kept having to stop it every minute to explain the story! He walked after about 20 mins! :o

Basq wrote: »
    Great watch but watching McFarlane consistently lie and swindle was uncomfortable, even more uncomfortable than the accommodation set up.

He was rightly prosecuted for his grifts, but there was a lot of people deserving of criticism for their role in the festival. I was a bit dubious about the documentary given that some of those involved in producing the documentary were involved in the Fyre debacle itself at some capacity (more detail here). I think it just about gets away with that ethical dubiousness because of the footage they have access to as a result, and that most of those in the documentary - whether majorly involved in planning the festival or peripheral players - don't come across as particularly worthy of sympathy (outside of the exploited local Bahamas residents). It's relatively even-handed all-in-all. Still, I've heard the Hulu docu is more critical of those involved in the social media side of things, although haven't watched it myself.

It's all pretty valuable as a damning critique of many aspects of tech start-up culture and the insanity of US venture capital. Unsustainable amounts of money being pumped into terrible projects or ones with questionable (at best) prospects.

Also: where the **** did Ja Rule go to after the ludicrous advertising shoot? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watched Broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Survivalist. 2018. This is on the US library and I found it to be very good albeit a very slow mover.

In a post apocalyptic Ireland a man lives alone in a forest and has to fight for his life whilst living off his own small allotment and whatever scraps he can gets his hands on.

He then faces major decisions when a woman and her teenage daughter stumble upon his camp looking for food and a place to stay

+1

Watched it a few months back,a well planned and smartly paced,atmospheric " apocalypse " movie.

Not your run of the mill,zombie dross.
    Looked very slick production wise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Drumpot wrote: »

One of my children sat down to watch it and I kept having to stop it every minute to explain the story! He walked after about 20 mins! :o

But....EXPOSITION! Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Late to the party here and has probably been mentioned but "Gypsy" - Bit like "you" but better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Watched Fyre Festival. Gas. Absolute lol at the influencer huns rocking up grief stricken at their tents like it’s the depths of dispair. It would be the lap of luxury for the rest of us. Beats sleeping in a Penneys tend falling in on top of ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Just watched The Fyre Festival, haven't laughed so hard in ages. The precious muppets on the bus as they realize they are staying in tents instead of villas... so glad EP was never organized by millenials :pac:

I know that Billy type, once you've met one of them you never get duped so easily again. A lesson for all involved in that company. The only ones I really felt sorry for were the Jamaican catering lady and the lads who laboured in the sun for 26 days without pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just finished Michael Inside. A big huge meh for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

garra wrote: »
    Just watched The Fyre Festival, haven't laughed so hard in ages. The precious muppets on the bus as they realize they are staying in tents instead of villas... so glad EP was never organized by millenials :pac:

Millennial covers a pretty big age range. I'm sure someone between age 23 - 38 has been involved in organising EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Milada - a film about the anti Nazi resistance figure Milada Horakova who was persecuted by the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia and executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Millennial covers a pretty big age range. I'm sure someone between age 23 - 38 has been involved in organising EP.

The Wikipedia defenition of millennial says it starts from kids born in the early 80s. Really? Always thought it was kids born very late 90s and grew up after the millenium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Synode wrote: »
    The Wikipedia defenition of millennial says it starts from kids born in the early 80s. Really? Always thought it was kids born very late 90s and grew up after the millenium

It's defined in some places as anyone who was under 18 on 1-JAN-2000, so you could be born in 1982 and be considered a millennial.

+1 for FYRE, great story laid out very clearly. Funny and heartfelt too.

Fyre was brilliant! Everyone who bought a ticket deserved it!! Crazy altogether!!

The bit that got to me the most was the bit where the guy knifed tents around him so he wouldn’t have any neighbours. D*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

The Kominsky Method - just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Dutchy wrote: »

Renewed for a second season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement