Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Karla (2006)

Based on real events, Paul Bernardo and his wife, Karla Homolka, kidnap, sexually abuse, and murder three young girls. ... Karla Homolka. ... Karla Homolka marries Paul Bernardo despite already having aided him in the rape and murder of her younger sister.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424938/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It's not so much the movie but the story, the fact that this really happened, they actually did what they did.

I actually watched a doc about them on YouTube last night, I'll be watching this now thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a newer stand up special ?

John Mulaney The Comeback Kid is excellent, I was lolling out loud at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

tigger123 wrote: »
    John Mulaney The Comeback Kid is excellent, I was lolling out loud at it :)

Yeh. I never heard of him before but it was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeh. I never heard if him before but it was pretty good.
    He hosted SNL a while back, very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Just watched Broken with Sean Bean. A hard watch but compelling viewing. Bean plays a priest battling his demons while helping others fight there's to varying degrees of success.

Brilliantly written by Jimmy McGovern.
    it was good, anna friel very good...but sean bean was miscast for me...used to him being an alpha male and he was the most useless priest ever in this...he didnt help anyone really, he just listened and looked mournful

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

In the midst of watching “Catwalk: Tales from the cat show circuit”

It’s bananas, thoroughly enjoying it (even if only that it’s reassuring me that the level of affection I have for my pet is completely proportionate)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

When heros Fly. The israeli ex military fighters flying to Colombia to save a loved one, Enjoyable watch even if ending was a little soft.

I watched the break re a recommendation on here. Enjoyed it also

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Michael Inside - Watched it last night and enjoyed it. A bit grim but highlights how easy it is for peoples lives to spiral out of control once they get caught with drugs. What should be noted is the input from Gateways (I think) which deals with offenders and tries to get them back on track so the scenario's in the film would have been based on real events that occurred. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Inside the Mossad
    In this documentary, dozens of former agents from the Mossad, Israel's foreign intelligence agency, reveal their top-secret operations.

Kill Switch
    A former NASA pilot encounters violent opposition when he travels to a newly created parallel Earth to deliver a fix for a malfunctioning power source.

Up Among The Stars
    A grieving filmmaker struggling to keep custody of his young son after his wife's death uses magical, imaginary stories to maintain their bond

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

The Rise Of Phoenixes. Binge worthy chinese period series with plenty of capital punishment to suit the bloodthirsty, along with convoluted court intrigues and a will they won't they love story. Warning: contains subtitles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kill switch is absolute scutter. Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

Just located the 2 seasons of "The Lakes" (not via Netflix). Looking forward to giving it a watch.

I thought Broken was absolutely fantastic . Sean Bean played the Catholic Priest so well and although dark in places I thought the ending was very uplifting

Love Jimmy McGovern's work.

Check out Accused. Its not on NetFlix but you tube have all the episodes on it. Six completely different stories . One starring Sean Bean as a English school teacher by day and transvestite at night and he gets involved with a married man played by the fantastic Stephen Graham. Bean won an Emmy for his performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-53G0q5oGc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

cossy09 wrote: »
    I thought Broken was absolutely fantastic . Sean Bean played the Catholic Priest so well and although dark in places I thought the ending was very uplifting

Love Jimmy McGovern's work.

Check out Accused. Its not on NetFlix but you tube have all the episodes on it. Six completely different stories . One starring Sean Bean as a English school teacher by day and transvestite at night and he gets involved with a married man played by the fantastic Stephen Graham. Bean won an Emmy for his performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-53G0q5oGc

Have done, I have a hard copy of all the episodes on a HDD here.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Have done, I have a hard copy of all the episodes on a HDD here.

I watched the Accused episode with Sean Bean last night . Planning to re-watch the other 5 episodes over the next few nights.

Broken was excellent. and reminded how brilliant McGovern is. Must search for "The Lakes " I haven't seen that show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Lakes was shown first on the BBC in the late '90s ('97, IIRC), then a couple of years later they made the second series, I bought it first on VHS, and a few years later I splashed out and got myself the DVD version, both formats have been played to bits. :)

It's one of my favourite series ever, a young John Simm played the main character.

cossy09 wrote: »
    I watched the Accused episode with Sean Bean last night . Planning to re-watch the other 5 episodes over the next few nights.

Broken was excellent. and reminded how brilliant McGovern is. Must search for "The Lakes " I haven't seen that show.
    New Home wrote: »
    The Lakes was shown first on the BBC in the late '90s ('97, IIRC), then a couple of years later they made the second series, I bought it first on VHS, and a few years later I splashed out and got myself the DVD version, both formats have been played to bits. :)

It's one of my favourite series ever, a young John Simm played the main character.

The DVD boxset of "The Lakes" is still available on Amazon, new and used (£10) for anyone who still has a DVD player. My copy are digital backups of the DVD.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The DVD boxset of "The Lakes" is still available on Amazon, new and used (£10) for anyone who still has a DVD player. My copy are digital backups of the DVD.

Happy Days

Both seasons of The Lakes are on Youtube :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you can, get both series. :) (<--The DVDs, I mean.)

John Simm made lots of excellent, excellent series, like "State of Play" (NOT the American remake, which is very poor by comparison), the very touching "Exile" (With Jim Broadbent), and "Blue/Orange". I don't have Netflix myself so I don't know if they're in there, but if you can find them, watch them.

New Home wrote: »
    If you can, get both series. :) (<--The DVDs, I mean.)

John Simm made lots of excellent, excellent series, like "State of Play" (NOT the American remake, which is very poor by comparison), the very touching "Exile" (With Jim Broadbent), and "Blue/Orange". I don't have Netflix myself so I don't know if they're in there, but if you can find them, watch them.

Is the State of Play you mention the 2003 one with 6 episodes?

250px-Stateofplay.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a newer stand up special ?

the james acaster ones are good, dave chappelle and john mulaney.

dunno if it's been mentioned but The ballad of buster scruggs i really enjoyed, if you're a coen brothers fan

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Just finished ep 3 there and I'm fceking raging.
    The fact that the dirty skank escaped for the second time and got to kill again, and that 12 year old little girl. Ah lads... That thing didn't die slowly enough.:mad: Have ye noticed when he talks it's all me, me, me, I, I, I.

I'll stop ranting now and watch something else for a break.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just finished Abducted in Plain Sight. Totally bizarre and maddening but a lesson in how professional groomers can groom and manipulate the whole family. It’s clear to see they all feel totally stupid today, except the mother.. a bit too doe eyed and nostalgic about it all for my liking. I’ve questions about her and I’m not totally convinced she wouldn’t run off with him in the morning had he not
    bunked himself off
    Shower of weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Polar is okay. Competent action, except for a scene in a tunnel where guards seem to be spawning two at a time from the walls, but it's all undercut by goofy characters and erratic pacing. Takes its time getting going after the obligatory opening action scene, and really limps to a close.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

sugarman wrote: »
    I've been watching "Timeless" season 2 having watched the first season last year.

Whatever about the show itself, imagine my disappointment to find that Netflix are missing the final 2 episodes :mad:

There was supposed to be a third season in the works, but it was cancelled and instead replaced with a 2 part finale as part of season 2 to give it a proper.

So I wouldn't bother until they're added, took long enough for season 2 to be added. It was on terrestrial TV here before Netflix added it.

I really enojyed Timeless, i wasnt expecting much from it but it turned into a better show than i ever thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Whoever recommended Rake I want that time back in my life please :D. Watched the whole thing. Season 1 was ok. The rest is just the odd ok moment once in a while. Far from funny or hilarious. Main character is good. But it's very Australian and low brow. Enjoyed all the courtroom stuff but not enough of that.
    Damn you Boardies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

black mirror episode "metalhead" was a good watch..edge of your seat stuff, yet not taking itself too serious.....actually, some very good black mirror episodes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I'm running out of series to watch. Anyone recommend any good legal dramas? Love good courtroom stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'm running out of series to watch. Anyone recommend any good legal dramas? Love good courtroom stuff.

Have not watched it myself yet,so cannot vouch for the quality,but "Rake" is getting good reviews on here.

Australian courtroom stuff.

Might suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Uncharted wrote: »
    Have not watched it myself yet,so cannot vouch for the quality,but "Rake" is getting good reviews on here.

Australian courtroom stuff.

Might suit you.

I've watched it, it's okay but agree with previous poster, second series gets ridiculous.

Thanks though. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched the Fyre festival documentary today, and yeeesh, that was a lot of people taken in by a conman for a lot longer than you'd have thought. I suspect in a good few cases there was a bit of "I'd really like to actually get paid for what I've done so far" factoring in, perhaps more prominently than the posited faith in Billy's ability to deliver on his nonsensical promises. (I felt my fists clench as soon as the "stop thinking about models and think about toilets" guy was told that the cruise ship thing "wasn't happening", because, well, ignoring the people who've worked out the logistics rarely goes all that well.)

On a different note, I love that that guy used some of his brief screen time to give a shout out to Microsoft Flight Simulator as a learning tool :)

The Gentleman Driver
    This documentary follows four tycoons who moonlight as motorsport competitors and examines what fuels them to succeed, both at work and on the track

I Dream Of Dance
    Experience the joy and sacrifice of one of the nation's premier dance companies as its members and instructors prepare for a prestigious competition.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

6vYHRPa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched the Fyre documentary and found it quite amusing but last night we checked out Chasing Coral and it's absolutely breathtaking. Beautiful footage and a real call-to-arms piece of activism: it's the kind of project I'd want to be involved in if the need to make a living didn't factor into my life.

It won the US Documentary Audience Award at Sundance, the Outstanding Nature Documentary at the Emmys and has awards and nominations all over the circuit. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Us and Them. 2017

Its a British film and I have to say its very good, I really enjoyed this and it actually reminded me a small bit of Pulp Fiction.

It's only rated 5.2 on IMDB but the ratings are all either very low 1s and 2s or right up in the 10s so going by that, it's probably a bit like marmite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

kerplun k wrote: »
    WOW, just watched the final episode of It’s Always Sunny, I’m actually speechless. Of all the shows, I never thought this would be one that would have me close to tears. Completely blew me away.

On a slightly negative note, I don’t think the show can ever go back to what it was, but holy cr*p, what an ending.

This, and Schitt's Creek got me through January!;)

Velvet Buzzsaw
    After Nightcrawler, Jake Gyllenhaal and Dan Gilroy reunite for this satirical thriller set in the contemporary art world scene of Los Angeles where big money artists and mega-collectors pay a high price when art collides with commerce.

Russian Doll season 1
    Russian Doll follows a young woman named Nadia (Natasha Lyonne) on her journey as the guest of honor at a seemingly inescapable party one night in New York City.

Nightflyers season 1
    With humankind’s future at stake, a group of scientists and a powerful telepath venture into the void aboard a spaceship full of secrets in this new sci-fi series based on the George RR Martin book.

American crime story season 2-The Assassination of Gianna Versace
    American Crime Story returns for a second season exploring the assassination of Gianna Versace, international fashion icon. Written by Tom Rob Smith (London Spy), the nine-part drama profiles the cross-country path of destruction that culminated in his murder, which took place on the steps of his Miami villa. The date? 15th July 1997, and after shooting Versace (Edgar Ramirez), Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss) flees, leaving the media to descend and the world to react.

Free Rein: Valentine’s Day
    Zoe and the gang plan a girls only Galantine’s adventure. But when they set out to find the mysterious Maid’s Stone it soon becomes clear they’re not the only ones on the trail. As they race against Pin and Marcus, Holloway, and a not-to-be-trusted Mia, the girls’ friendships are tested to the limits. And, with the end of the quest in sight, Zoe wonders if some things might be better left buried…

True: Happy Hearts Day
    On this special day that is but isn’t Valentine’s Day, True and her friends in the Rainbow Kingdom share their Happy Hearts and celebrate love… until Glummy Glooma starts to turn things blue!

In the Dark: Season 1
    A young, blind woman tries to solve her friend’s murder.

Always a Witch season 1
    A young 17th-century witch time travels to the future to save the man she loves, but first must adjust to present-day Cartagena and defeat a dark rival

Dear Ex
    When Sanlian’s ex-husband passes away, she discovers he has altered his insurance policy, cutting out their son in favor of a stranger named Jay. Outraged, Sanlian decides that she and her son will confront Jay, but Jay proves equal to her scheme. However, when her son unexpectedly moves in with Jay, she is forced to reassess her relationship with them both.

Siempre Bruja: Season 1
    Siempre Bruja follows 18 year old Carmen, a Colombian slave and witch from the 17th century who, in a desperate attempt to save her loved one, travels in time to present day Cartagena. Navigating the waters of this exciting new world, Carmen will soon discover that once a witch, always a witch.

Hurricane
    As Hitler's Nazis threaten to take command of Britain's skies, a squadron of Polish pilots arrives to aid the Royal Air Force against a mutual enemy.

14 Minutes from Earth
    A Google executive boldly attempts a death-defying mission to travel to space and free-fall back to Earth without a rocket.

Sparta Season 1 (Russian) While investigating the mysterious death of a teacher, a grizzled detective gets caught up in the world of a high-stakes virtual reality game

Occupied season 2
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
    Clash of the Collectables: Season 1
    Sammy & Bella’s Kitchen Rescue: Season 1
    Have You Seen the Listers?
    Space Dealers: Season 1
    The Descent: Part 2
    Edie
    Madso’s War
    Step Up: All In
    Ghost Town Gold: Season 1
    License To Drill: Louisiana: Season 1
    The Bucket List
    Heal
    space dealers season 1
    Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death
    Wallace and Gromit: A Grand Day Out
    Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Velvet buzzsaw and russian dolls sound great. Nightflyers i'll try further having seen the first online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Loads of great stuff added today and with all of Parks and Recreation and The Terror added to Amazon, I think my viewing for February is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Loads of great stuff added today and with all of Parks and Recreation and The Terror added to Amazon, I think my viewing for February is sorted.

Is parks and rec added to the irish netflix? delighted if so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Amazon Prime.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Good site for what's added
    https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/amazon-prime-video/new

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's not Netflix but All4 are streaming 30 Rock now. All of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's not Netflix but All4 are streaming 30 Rock now. All of it.

Nice! I actually just started watching it again :)

Wonderful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do you still have to mess about with VPNs or post codes to get All 4 these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally got around to watching Bird Box after all the hype I found it totally bang average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Birdbox was bird****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do you still have to mess about with VPNs or post codes to get All 4 these days?

No...it's available to all Irish customers!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hurrache wrote: »

Don't think you ever had to do that for All4, or More 4, as it used to be known.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement