Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Jago: A Life Underwater is a really great watch. It's a docu about an 80 year old divers life.

I've watched it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

OK I'm about halfway through Roma now.

(Not a spoiler really, there was a very small earthquake and no one was killed).

Now call me Mr Philistine, I know it's beautifully photographed , but does anything really happen after this.

Bear in mind it's a rugby weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I thought Roma was completely boring also. Ok maybe technical great film-making with all the long scenes and all. But nothing happened. Who wants to watch 2.5hrs of the day to day lives of a Mexican wealthy family and their maid, and the various life issues they have. We all have them in real life, except most of us are not as wealthy and privileged as the mom in this film. I want to see Mexican films like amorres perros or sicario, not this boring Roma crap. How can this film be a front runner for best picture Oscar??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I don't know if this is the right thread for it but I recently subscribed to Now TV just to watch Big Little Lies and I have to say it's a **** service, continually buffering.

Now my internet is not the best but I don't have any buffering on Netflix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No...it's available to all Irish customers!!

Better than RTE player then.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BBFAN wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right thread for it but I recently subscribed to Now TV just to watch Big Little Lies and I have to say it's a **** service, continually buffering.

I've had nowtv for a few months and have never experienced buffering, not even with live sport so I'd say the issue is on your end.

I've had nowtv for a few months and have never experienced buffering, not even with live sport so I'd say the issue is on your end.

Maybe it is to do with the speed of my internet so but I've never had any issue with Netflix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe it is to do with the speed of my internet so but I've never had any issue with Netflix?

I think Netflix optimise poor connections far better than most other streaming services.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Now my internet is not the best but I don't have any buffering on Netflix?

The app isn't very good, seems to hog the processor a lot, and is slow to play. OTOH the little cheapo nowTV box plays quite fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Birdbox was bird****.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cml387 wrote: »
    OK I'm about halfway through Roma now.

(Not a spoiler really, there was a very small earthquake and no one was killed).

Now call me Mr Philistine, I know it's beautifully photographed , but does anything really happen after this.

Bear in mind it's a rugby weekend

Might be too late, but if you are still half way through it, STOP NOW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Birdbox was bird****.

Not as bad as IO.

I want those minutes back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bordertown (finnish) season 2

Requiem season 1
    In the wake of a sudden tragedy, a London cellist unearths secrets that link her mother to the disappearance of a young girl in a small Welsh town.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Travellers was decent enough series, sorry to see it cancelled. It had a slightly different feel than usual Hollywood stuff...

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Didn’t watch it & I won’t either. My auld lad was obsessed with serial killers/mass murderers. And I after him.I used to love reading about them too, morso about the detectives that caught them

This progamme is only glorify Bundy.

Imagine if your sister was one of the girls he murdered. Would you be so quick to watch it.
    I get ya but sure why have Vietnam war movies, maybe someone I know died in it. Maybe have no reporting at all on current events. Besides I don't think it's lads that Netflix is lecturing about where Ted Bundy is on the Crazy/Hot scale.
    Where do we stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Travellers was decent enough series, sorry to see it cancelled. It had a slightly different feel than usual Hollywood stuff...

I get ya but sure why have Vietnam war movies, maybe someone I know died in it. Maybe have no reporting at all on current events. Besides I don't think it's lads that Netflix is lecturing about where Ted Bundy is on the Crazy/Hot scale.
    Where do we stop?

Yeh i think some of the people getting very sensitive about a documentary need to Understand not everybody thinks like them. I watch this as sort of a fascinating insight into the damage one person can do (even the fear he brought) and how easily they can get away with it. He was caught by sheer chance , escaped twice and his ego ultimately sabotaged his chances of not getting the electric Chair. The entire story is just so interesting. You don’t learn anything by taking a holier then though attitude, classifying him as evil and ignoring everything he did because some people may believe it’s celebrating Bundy in some way.. I don’t like Bundy and don’t glorify what he did and don’t see having an interest in his life as besmirching his victims in any capacity.

If anything these sort of documentaries are a great reminder of how even friendly and attractive people can deceive and be quite nasty. Paedophiles , abusers and people with less sinister but equally damaging proclivities use the exact same sort of mask that Bundy used. Like politicians!!!

I found it funny that Bundy felt being in politics was the best profession to use his mask. It’s also a good insight into how the average joe can be so shallow by judging people based on the limited time they get in their company. I said it already that the way the people
    celebrated Bundy being killed
    was disgusting. I can understand family members feeling some
    Sense of relief or justice but the mobs at the end were pathetic.

We can learn something from that when judging how “civilized” we really are as a species. The religious eye for an eye or you are either good or evil mantra is outdated and an overly simplistic method of trying to understand the likes of Bundy.

Considering how popular the most mind numbingly retarded reality shows can be I would argue that a documentary like this is a much welcomed balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Polar - 7/10

Really enjoyed it, prob like a less classy John wick but I thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Really struggling to stay watching Nightflyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Finished the second season of the good place. I'm really really enjoying it. I know the third season is fully up on Netflix but I'll leave it a few days. I think Darcy Carden who plays Janet is brilliant and if you watch her tv interviews you can see that she is really quick witted and funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Finished the second season of the good place. I'm really really enjoying it. I know the third season is fully up on Netflix but I'll leave it a few days. I think Darcy Carden who plays Janet is brilliant and if you watch her tv interviews you can see that she is really quick witted and funny.

She deserves the lead of a series imo, she's great in the Good Place and a bit wasted on Barry.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

She deserves the lead of a series imo, she's great in the Good Place and a bit wasted on Barry.

Spoilers for season 3:
    When all the characters look like Janet, that was so incredibly good... I'm all in favour of Janet playing Jason for all future episodes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Itssoeasy wrote: »

It’s great. Quite radical really if you realise that most situation comedies have one situation and the good place keep changing its situation. Also there a lot of philosophy, which is usually a hard sell for comedies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

el diablo wrote: »
    Crappy "the left has lost the plot" video

Birdbox was decidedly average but to post up this kind of crap as an analysis of it is quite simply ridiculous. He thinks they cast Malkovich because his bald head would remind us of skinheads. Everyone has an agenda but not everyone knows how big that "regressive left" dollar is. Be suspicious of youtubers with fine tuned attack aim and zero balance. They want one audience and to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

mewso wrote: »
    Birdbox was decidedly average but to post up this kind of crap as an analysis of it is quite simply ridiculous. He thinks they cast Malkovich because his bald head would remind us of skinheads. Everyone has an agenda but not everyone knows how big that "regressive left" dollar is. Be suspicious of youtubers with fine tuned attack aim and zero balance. They want one audience and to keep it.

I like to keep an open mind but his analysis was spot on in my opinion. And you're twisting what he said when you mention the Malkovich/skinheads comment. Many Hollywood and Netflix productions these days are aimed at manipulating and programming the masses but you're just not seeing it yet.:p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

It’s great. Quite radical really if you realise that most situation comedies have one situation and the good place keep changing its situation. Also there a lot of philosophy, which is usually a hard sell for comedies.

The Good Place is fantastic, and truly original. It's a rare combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

It's not new to Netflix but I just watched 'Stop at Nothing', the Lance Armstrong documentary. I thought it was great, fascinating, the real footages and interviews really helped follow the timeline. As someone who had only a vague idea about cycling and Armstrong's doping case, it really highlighted how f'd up the whole thing was, and how narcissistic and ruthless the guy was. Although I kinda feel like he didn't really suffer any consequences tbh, has anyone any updates on him lately? It's not like he went to jail or anything. And of course, it's not just him but several people behind the scenes who allowed him and profited from his lies, probably still working today, I mean the Icarus doc also showed this goes beyond Armstrong.

Also, I have zero knowledge of the cycling world but was surprised at the amount of Irish people I saw in this? The 2 journalist and as well as the lady who worked with him. I thought it'd be mostly Americans and French but heard the Irish accents and it felt close to home or something. That footage of Paul Kimmage confronting Lance was something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Drumpot wrote: »
    Apologies I just read OP and it seems I’ve dragged the thread off topic.

Don't worry there's an ongoing discussion about Birdbox being a Liberal conspiracy too. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I like to keep an open mind but his analysis was spot on in my opinion. And you're twisting what he said when you mention the Malkovich/skinheads comment. Many Hollywood and Netflix productions these days are aimed at manipulating and programming the masses but you're just not seeing it yet.:p

Ruh brig fd th betty igf

Sorry, my eyes rolled all the way back for a minute there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

As Tim Minchin says, if you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out. I think I made it a little bit pass the part where he said Netflix was normalizing pedophilia with a picture of Big Mouth on the screen before I gave up. I don't know how anyone could watch 26 minutes of that bilge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Discussion of The Ted Bundy Tapes has being moved to its own thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057952441

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched first 3 episodes of Russian Doll.. really like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lost me in the first six words. If someone is going to blame something on "the left" or "the right" then impartial research and logic have already gone out the window before we've even started. The point of the presenation was not movie analysis.

Decent enough movie, although not scary enough to be a horror and not exciting enough to be a thriller.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

No it wasn’t. The video was complete and utter BS.

The fact that Malkovichs characters actions are justified by the plots outcome completely pours cold water on the guys argument. I mean how can you call this anti right when it depicts the republican guy as an assh0le but who’s actions are eventually justified, but not only that, then saves everyone after they turned against him. Also, at the start of the film, Sandra Bullocks character was a bigger assh0le than Malkovichs character. And also, what about the Mexican girls actions? She turned out to be an even bigger assh0le than both of them.

The so called “analysis” is typical of what’s going on in America right now, and this uttter BS shouldn’t be posted on what’s normally a reasonable and well informed thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think it’s possible to understate how much YouTube has managed to drag down the general level of analysis and discussion of film and pop culture more generally.

Which isn’t to say there isn’t good and even great analysis on YouTube - there is! But the way the platform’s been hijacked by ideologues and irrational ranting (not helped by an algorithm that favours extremism and hyperbole) is really disappointing and frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don’t think it’s possible to understate how much YouTube has managed to drag down the general level of analysis and discussion of film and pop culture more generally.

Which isn’t to say there isn’t good and even great analysis on YouTube - there is! But the way the platform’s been hijacked by ideologues and irrational ranting (not helped by an algorithm that favours extremism and hyperbole) is really disappointing and frustrating.

Think this applies more, probably even more extensively, to things other film analysis. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Damien360

More than that, kids have very short attention spans. My kids will not watch a movie unless there is action (just like YouTube) inside the first 2 minutes. They don't want a story to build, its boring. Something has to grab them very quickly.

I wait for the movie platform to arrive where the movie is over in under 10 minutes. It will corner the mass market for those in their teens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lord save us from the blitherings of YouTube wingnuts finding conspiracy in a Netflix film of all things. Not that these people didn't exist pre-internet, it just happens to be a byproduct of the mediums fabled democratisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Turtwig wrote: »
    Think this applies more, probably even more extensively, to things other film analysis. :(

Oh absolutely! Although worth paying very close attention to how shrewd extremist figures have learned that videos about something innocuous like a popular film can serve as a gateway to their more overtly foul ramblings about ‘white genocide’ and ‘cultural Marxism’, especially when the algorithm happily assists them in that process :/

Starting watching the documentary about Versace's murder last night, bizarre, it's half documentary, half drama.

I must have been drunk throughout the 90's though because I didn't even know he was murdered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Will Netflix surprise release anything with Superbowl? Last year was Cloverfield which was crap but it might be a yearly tradition to just release something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Unearthly wrote: »
    Will Netflix surprise release anything with Superbowl? Last year was Cloverfield which was crap but it might be a yearly tradition to just release something

I saw that The Cloverfield Paradox is on Bluray at Golden Discs now for €18 and I had to resist literally laughing out loud. What a waste of plastic and shipping expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Starting watching the documentary about Versace's murder last night, bizarre, it's half documentary, half drama.

I must have been drunk throughout the 90's though because I didn't even know he was murdered!

Same here, it completely flew over my head at the time. The first time I knew about it was when it was referenced by Dougal in Father Ted- "God Ted do you remember that fella that was so good at fashion that they had to shoot him"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Watched a couple of episodes of Russian Doll,it’s ok,I think it’s suffering from a bit of over hype from the luvvie brigade,it’s decent enough but the amount of gushing from critics is a little ott,each episode is around 25 minutes,so you can get through a lot of episodes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

With all the discussion of the Ted Bundy series.

Big shout out for Inside the Criminal Mind.

Very good.

Attack on Titan Season 1
    With his hometown in ruins, young Eren Yeager becomes determined to fight back against the giant Titans that threaten to destroy the human race

Added today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Velvet Buzzsaw - like an art world Final Destination without being as great, or as awful, as that description might suggest - depending on your viewpoint. Great ensemble cast and some interesting things going on but it felt like too much of a mishmash at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

Velvet Buzzsaw is awful. Such a mess. Fails at everything it sets out to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I dunno, I thought it was quite good. Definitely a mish-mash, but I enjoyed the X-files vibe from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've seen scarier epsiodes of Art attack

GIF-ArtAttack.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

^^^ Damn you and your gif- I wanted to see what he does next!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement