Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

liked how before the last episode of unabomber its gives a warning that it contains a scene of hanging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

I watched Abducted in plain sight last night. I wouldn't recommend. It's a mad story alright, like crazy in parts but I didn't think it was a well made documentary. It felt like one of those made for a sh!tty tv channel ones. What the hell was wrong with those parents though not protecting their kids. Jesus Christ

I thought it was worth the watch but yes, shockingly made.

Its really weird that other than the first few minutes yer mans family is hardly even mentioned again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Any shows similar to true detective? I loved unabomber and mindhunter. Need a detective show fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

hefferboi wrote: »
    Any shows similar to true detective? I loved unabomber and mindhunter. Need a detective show fix

Was unabomber a TV show or a movie?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Was unabomber a TV show or a movie?

Manhunt unabomber was a tv show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

hefferboi wrote: »

Line of Duty?
    Happy Valley?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gave up on Russian Doll after episode 3. The whole "Groundhog Day with hipsters" thing doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Gave up on Russian Doll after episode 3. The whole "Groundhog Day with hipsters" thing doesn't work for me.

Think if you'd have watched episode four it would have opened it up much more, but while I really enjoyed it, I can see why people wouldn't. (still think you quit an episode too soon:))

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Line of Duty is top class,

I was late to the Luther party myself, but would thoroughly recommend that also

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Line of Duty?
    Happy Valley?
    Happy Valley is class, also Charlie Murphy (Siobhan from Love Hate) is very good in it. Was talk of a 3rd series but looks unlikely. Would recommend.

Line of Duty also next on my list. Tried Unforgtten but not sure I like the plot re old cold cases. Heard good things about Luther.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Michael Inside - Watched it last night and enjoyed it. A bit grim but highlights how easy it is for peoples lives to spiral out of control once they get caught with drugs. What should be noted is the input from Gateways (I think) which deals with offenders and tries to get them back on track so the scenario's in the film would have been based on real events that occurred. Well worth a watch.
    Thought it was fantastic myself, wasn't expecting much from an under the radar film but well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After episode 3? Even with the introduction of
    Alan
    .. suprised at that!

Loved it myself but definitely a one season show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

peteeeed wrote: »

High Flying Bird (Steven Soderbergh)
    When an NBA lockout sidelines his big rookie client, an agent hatches a bold plan to save their careers -- and disrupt the league's power structure.

getting good reviews https://www.metacritic.com/movie/high-flying-bird?ref=hp

How many films has he made since he retired and said he wouldn't make anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

Basq wrote: »
    After episode 3? Even with the introduction of
    Alan
    .. suprised at that!

Loved it myself but definitely a one season show!

I didn't get past episode 3 either. There wasn't enough story going on to keep it interesting. 1st episode I thought maybe but lost interest very quick after that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any chance we could keep all the 'Russian Doll' talk to the thread already here on the Television forum? It's annoying having to constantly scroll past posts, even those indicating that "something" happens in a particular episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

ixoy wrote: »
    Any chance we could keep all the 'Russian Doll' talk to the thread already here on the Television forum? It's annoying having to constantly scroll past posts, even those indicating that "something" happens in a particular episode.
    This. And trying to pick a film to watch instead of a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Final Destination 1, 2 and 3 on the US library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ixoy wrote: »

It’s a recommendation thread. People are recommending it.

It’s a recommendation thread. People are recommending it.
    Gotta agree...does every Netflix Recommendation deserve or get it's own thread? Should the inclusion or absence of said thread stifle discussion here? Small price to pay for some healthy discussion here IMO.

Otherwise, it's a thread of X added today, and shag all else. And there's RSS feeds for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Don't trust the B--ch in apt 23 was added recently and i just binged it even tho I saw most of them. I was gutted when the show went off air. It's wickedly funny.

How 2 broke girls stayed on and this got cancelled is beyond me. it's also about 2 female roommates in NYC but the jokes are actually clever, the actors have proper comedic timing and there is no laugh track.

I'm guessing they added it after Jessica Jones did so well, but tbh as good as Krysten Ritter is in that, she is even better as the titular B, and James Van Der beek playing himself as a narcissistic actor struggling to stay relevant is great, too. in fact my favorite character is probably his assistant Luther.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Don't trust the B--ch in apt 23 was added recently and i just binged it even tho I saw most of them. I was gutted when the show went off air. It's wickedly funny.
    It's been on there for quite some time - unless it's been off and is back? :confused:

I enjoyed it, though comedy is particularly hard to recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

I quite liked Whitechapel. Doesn’t get mentioned much here.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1186356/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

How many films has he made since he retired and said he wouldn't make anymore?
    I don't know...how many times are you going to bring up that comment though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first 3 episodes of Russian Doll and am loving it so far. Truly original and excellently made.

I also think it's quite self aware with the whole hipster New York thing. The characters themselves seem a little jaded with the scene. Some of it I found quite tongue in cheek in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The break season 2

Added today

Fans of the expanse , season 3 is on prime today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I watched an Irish film last night called "The Cured" and i very rarely turn off a film but i just couldn't last to the end with this one as it was that bad,really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Velvet buzzsaw wasnt bad. Bit cheesy and camp but for some reason it was pretty enjoyable.

Agree about The Cured ^ I was really excited because it looked so good in the trailer and it was Irish and I like Ellen Paige. But I had never really wanted to a leave a film in the cinema before I saw it. It wasnt even just boring and unremarkable, it was memorably bad, the acting made me cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched the first 3 episodes of Russian Doll and am loving it so far. Truly original and excellently made
    What? How so? The gimmick has been done to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Smegging hell

I thought Russian Doll was great. Finished it in two nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

peteeeed wrote: »
    The break season 2

Added today

Looking forward to this, enjoyed season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Started Russian Doll last night. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though I'm only on episode 4. An easy watch, episodes are only 25 mins too.

Regarding separate threads for movies, shows and all sorts, I like this 'Netflix Recommendations' thread. It's just that, does what it says on the tin. I've found many a gem thanks to this thread, it is what it is and it's enjoyed by many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Halfway through the haunting of hill house and I’m loving it. Can’t get enough of it....

Best show I’ve watched in some time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

crustybla wrote: »
    Regarding separate threads for movies, shows and all sorts, I like this 'Netflix Recommendations' thread. It's just that, does what it says on the tin. I've found many a gem thanks to this thread, it is what it is and it's enjoyed by many.

There's a difference between recommending something and having full blown conversations about them though. There's a couple of things recently have ended up taking over the thread and people start discussing them to the point where they're giving away spoilers.
    It's happening more and more recently. People seem to be watching things the minute they're released and if you haven't watched it by the end of the first weekend there's spoilers everywhere.

I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Velvet buzzsaw... 2 hours of my life I will never get back!! Terrible movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

There's a difference between recommending something and having full blown conversations about them though. There's a couple of things recently have ended up taking over the thread and people start discussing them to the point where they're giving away spoilers.
    It's happening more and more recently. People seem to be watching things the minute they're released and if you haven't watched it by the end of the first weekend there's spoilers everywhere.

I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere.

Agreed. Spoilers are indeed handy and should be used when needed.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I am surprised about how much I enjoyed You, entertaining with plot-holes galore but it captured my attention for all 10 episodes with two excellent leads

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I am surprised about how much I enjoyed You, entertaining with plot-holes galore but it captured my attention for all 10 episodes with two excellent leads

It is fine. Totally unbelievable however. Verging on Sci fi!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As ever, we absolutely encourage people to start threads about individual films :) You don’t have to wait for the mods to split it off: if you think something deserves its own thread, just go for it and hurl a link in here for people to follow.

Just remember there is a tv forum too, so new threads could well be better suited there (there’s often one already!) - we make an exception in the film forum for this thread, but there’s lots of great conversation about shows over in he television forums :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A film that came from way left field for me, but I watched Dumplin, it's a really nice movie that hits you right in the feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

munster87 wrote: »
    I quite liked Whitechapel. Doesn’t get mentioned much here.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1186356/

Yes, deserves the time invested. It's all preposterous of course but the character
    relationship arc makes it worth watching. Additionally the excellent Steve Pemberton has a starring role.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hurrache wrote: »
    A film that came from way left field for me, but I watched Dumplin, it's a really nice movie that hits you right in the feels.

I enjoyed Dumplin' It's kind of light weight and I thought the romance subplot was unnecessary but it's a lot of fun and the soundtrack is great, but would you expect any less from Dolly Parton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes, deserves the time invested. It's all preposterous of course but the character
    relationship arc makes it worth watching. Additionally the excellent Steve Pemberton has a starring role.

Steve Pemberton is amazing in everything imo.
    His role in Happy Valley was truly excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Does anyone know if Mindhorn is still on Netflix? I thought they bought the rights to it, but I can't find it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Watched “An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn”

Strangely entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

amor3 wrote: »
    Velvet buzzsaw... 2 hours of my life I will never get back!! Terrible movie.
    yep pile of ****e

• Advertisement

I haven't finished Velvet Buzzsaw but the hour or so I watched I really enjoyed.. it's kitsch, over-the-top, daft, pretentious and silly, but it's absolutely well aware of it.

Gyllenhaal hamming it up big time is quite entertaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Arrival was one of very few non kiddies movies I seen in the cinema in the last decade!
    It caught me absolutely by surprise . Totally immersed in it for the whole 2 hours and was affected by it !
    For that reason I chose not to watch it since
    Until tonight ........
    Same effect
    Fantastic movie that deserves to be watched by everyone

It's not a casual watch . Close the curtains . Turn off the phones .
    Enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enjoyed High Flying Bird. Struggled to follow some of the basketball business complexities, but that couldn’t dim what’s obviously a razor-sharp script. Tackles one very specific strand of modern US race relations / economic inequality in a pleasingly witty but incisive way. Narrative comes together nicely in the end as it firmly reveals itself as a sort of
    heist / scheming movie in high-powered clothing.
    Great cast own the film.

Felt the iPhone cinematography really suited the material and actually looks better on a TV than some of the higher fidelity original content Netflix puts out. Limits are still obvious (especially when the camera’s moving) but there’s an antsy, raw and capable look to it all that’s a good fit for the story that unfolds. Helps that Soderbergh still knows better than most how to frame conversations in a lively, impactful way. Overall a better fit for the tech than Unsane I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Abandoned 2015 on the US library starring Dominic Purcell, its a true story about four guys drifting out to sea for three and a half months after their boat capsized during a freak wave.

It's an amazing tale of survival and a shocking reaction from naval official's and media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »
    Halfway through the haunting of hill house and I’m loving it. Can’t get enough of it....

Best show I’ve watched in some time.

Binged the rest of it today , it was absorbing....

Thought it was top notch until 9th episode. I really enjoyed the slow character building and the ominous setup. I also loved how the story came together in stages.

I found the ending a bit lacking what made the earlier episodes so good but it was still enjoyable and actually kind of satisfying when I think of it. I think if I hadn’t if watched so much I might of enjoyed it more cause I was exhausted come the end.

That said I loved it overall. 9-10

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement