Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    Wowsers what a cast!

kerplun k wrote: »
    Looks like Disney+ will launch in November.

lots of big hitters
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/11/disney-plus-streaming-app-details/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I finished watching Quicksand yesterday and I have to say that it's brilliant, very gripping. It's about an 18 year old girl accused of being involved in a school shooting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know they're also rolling in the Fox back catalogue too, and as much as I like Marvel/Star Wars, I wouldn't buy another TV package for it.

(Not very) hot take: The Mandalorian will be that years most pirated TV show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

On episode 4 of Black Summer, its intense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Turn up Charlie on Netflix. Idris Elba comedy-ish series .

I'm enjoying it
    Also recently started Peaky Blinders. I'd not bothered before, with it being a BBC series that friends & acquaintances who have poor taste have said was good. But it's great! I'm an episode into S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JFK .
    Slept through quite a bit of that! Way too long. 13 days however was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

safetyboy wrote: »

Am really enjoying it!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was ready to throw in the towel on Sabrina season 2 after the first 4 episodes were so boring and heavy handed with their social commentary but it has really picked up nicely since episode 5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Disney streaming service discussion has been split into its own thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057972287

I have watched Special on Netflix, it's a nice easy watch.
    It's about a gay guy with CP it's based on his own memoir.
    Episodes are only about 15-20 mins long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Up to episode 7 of Our Planet, the catapillars in episode 5 blew my mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Up to episode 7 of Our Planet, the catapillars in episode 5 blew my mind

It's ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It's ridiculously good.

The pod of dolphins being chased by false killer whales:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

This documentary is quite grim and depressing but worth a watch (it's on Netflix).

I'm unconvinced that burning down your own neighbourhood and local businesses and murdering innocent bystanders helps anyone who's trying to escape poverty and oppression. :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

No Good Nick part 1 (10 eps)
    Melissa Joan Hart is back on our screens in this sitcom, which sees a family’s life turned upside down when a young, street-smart grifter appears on the doorstep, claiming she’s a distant relative.

Generation Iron 3
    Bodybuilders come together from around the world to compete in the Mr. Olympia competition and try to achieve their goals of physical perfection.

The Fugitive

Café Society
    Set in the 1930s, a young New Yorker moves to Hollywood, where he falls head over heels for the radiant secretary of his hot-shot uncle

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Had a couple of hours free the weekend and watched Highway Men,

I thought it was quite good , very enjoyable movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Had a couple of hours free the weekend and watched Highway Men,

I thought it was quite good , very enjoyable movie

Same here, enjoyable enough without being spectacular, good acting, storyline a bit slow I thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Watched ‘ Black Summer’ - very odd zombie apocalypse nonsense which tries desperately to be different from the rest by just being odd. Too much of that handheld camera bouncing around crap with gives me a headache. Stayed with it, not entirely sure why. Won’t bother if a new series comes out.

• Advertisement

Jurassic park
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park III
    Upstart Crow season 2

The Creative Brain
    Neuroscientist David Eagleman taps into the creative process of various innovators while exploring brain-bending, risk-taking ways to spark creativity

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Jurassic park
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park III
    Upstart Crow season 2

The Creative Brain
    Neuroscientist David Eagleman taps into the creative process of various innovators while exploring brain-bending, risk-taking ways to spark creativity

added today

Upstart Crow is very good. It's a sitcom about Shakespeare, who's played by David Mitchell. harry Enfield plays his Dad. There's also a great send up of Ricky Gervais in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

fin12 wrote: »
    The pod of dolphins being chased by false killer whales:)
    Haven't seen that bit yet, but I looked it up and there is no CGI used, if that's what you mean.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Haven't seen that bit yet, but I looked it up and there is no CGI used, if that's what you mean.

Haven't seen the episode yet but I presume there was some actual False Killer Whales in the scene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_killer_whale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Season 5 of Schitts creek coming in May .. wooh oo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Just finished watching Bitter Daisies, a Spanish murder mystery. It's very good, it can be a little far fetched in parts and the acting a little hammy but it's a good storyline and it keeps you interested. There's a lot going on in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Succubus_ wrote: »
    Just finished watching Bitter Daisies, a Spanish murder mystery. It's very good, it can be a little far fetched in parts and the acting a little hammy but it's a good storyline and it keeps you interested. There's a lot going on in it.

Yes i found it engaging enough to be watchable ... 6.5 out of 10

Dogs of berlin.... 7.5 out of 10

Quicksand.... 8.5 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭spuddy90

Really enjoyed Delhi Crime. One of the better international series watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,008 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In its first-quarter earnings report Tuesday, the streaming company revealed that in the first four weeks on the service, Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s comic book adaptation of Umbrella Academy was watched by 45 million households.

Following the release of numbers for Bird Box last quarter, which was watched by 80 million households in its first month, Netflix today also revealed that The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, was watched by more than 40M households in its first month. This was surpassed by action heist movie Triple Frontier, starring Ben Affleck and directed by J.C. Chandor, which hit 52M households in the same time period.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, about the controversial music festival, was watched by over 20 million member households in its first month. Netflix projected that nature docu Our Planet, which launched this month, will be viewed by over 25M households in its first month of release..

This comes after Netflix last quarter gave out viewership stats for six series, including You, Sex Education and Elite. The streaming giant opted to volunteer that You and Sex Education had each been seen by more than 40 million households in their initial weeks. Spanish series Elite had been seen by more than 20 million households, the company said.

Netflix considers an episode as “viewed” if at least one episode has been watched at least 70% of the way through.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/netflix-reveals-viewing-data-for-titles-including-umbrella-academy-the-highwaymen-fyre-doc-1202597002/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

gmisk wrote: »
    I have watched Special on Netflix, it's a nice easy watch.
    It's about a gay guy with CP it's based on his own memoir.
    Episodes are only about 15-20 mins long.

I thought the first scene was lame and predictable and a cheap laugh that went directly against the spirit of the show (spoiler alert: the handicapped guy falls over, guffaw) but other than that it's not too bad. Though I thought the title was an odd choice too, 'special' having usually been a euphemism for mental retardation or down syndrome, not CP, and also sort of an outdated cliche. The way they dress him especially at the start also is very cliche 'special person', like exactly what the brother of Cam Diaz wears in Theres Something About Mary, backpack, large headphones, hat etc. Why? He's not mentally retarded?

HOMECOMING: A film by Beyoncé
    This intimate, in-depth look at Beyoncé's celebrated 2018 Coachella performance reveals the emotional road from creative concept to cultural movement.

American Pie
    American Reunion

American Gangster

This Is 40

Bridget Jones's Diary
    Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Hulk
    The Incredible Hulk

Franco Escamilla: Bienvenido al mundo
    Comedian Franco Escamilla shares stories about parenting his children when they get into trouble, with reflections on gender, friendship and romance.

Jonaki
    In this quiet, wistful drama, a woman on her deathbed searches her fraying memories for love and fulfillment through surreal, meditative tableaux.

Operation Red Sea
    A special task force takes on a risky operation to evacuate civilians amid civil war. Based on the 2015 mission to rescue Chinese citizens in Yemen.

Savages
    When a Mexican drug cartel tries to take over their California pot business and kidnaps their shared girlfriend, Ben and Chon risk all to fight back

Twins

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

De Film van Dylan Haegens
    A YouTuber becomes obsessed with figuring out how his copycat archnemesis manages to steal all of his ideas.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,008 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A decent idea now they have a couple of their own shows/films released every week now.

Netflix Experiments With Top Ten List In UK To Help Subs Choose Popular Shows
    Netflix is to launch a top ten list to give subscribers the chance to find out which of its shows are most popular in their region.

The streaming service is launching an experiment in the UK in the second quarter of the year that will release a weekly top ten list of its shows across different programming categories. It hopes that this will make choosing titles easier.

Netflix’s Chief Product Officer Greg Peters admitted that it was one of a hundred tests that Netflix does each quarter to improve the service but he added that the company was quite bullish about it.

“There’s a bunch of our members that really enjoy watching the most popular shows because they enjoy watching the show and then engaging in the public conversation around the show and all of the memes that are shared. We want to do a good job to let our members know what those most popular shows are and then can participate. We’re quite bullish on that and we’ll see how it does,” he said.

Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos, also speaking on its investor call following its first quarter results, added, “Popularity is a data point that people can use to choose, it’s not the most important one or the only one. We don’t want to suppress it if it’s helpful to our members.”

The service will start in the UK this quarter and Netflix will then decide whether to expand the test to other markets.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/netflix-top-ten-list-uk-1202597076/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I wish they would bring back the star rating system instead of the thumbs up and down business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

No I just meant it was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If you are referring to this comment
    The pod of dolphins being chased by false killer whales

False killer whales are actually a real thing, they are large oceanic dolphins.

See here:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

spuddy90 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Delhi Crime. One of the better international series watched.

It is very well done, but I had to abandon it because that particular crime was so disturbing. It was/is difficult to contemplate.
    I hope this documentary instigates more worldwide attention. Having researched the story since watching the first 3 episodes... it seems that not a lot has been accomplished in reducing cases of rape and violence towards women in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

cusser wrote: »
    It is very well done, but I had to abandon it because that particular crime was so disturbing. It was/is difficult to contemplate.
    I hope this documentary instigates more worldwide attention. Having researched the story since watching the first 3 episodes... it seems that not a lot has been accomplished in reducing cases of rape and violence towards women in India.

It was extremely disturbing I agree. Probably the most horrible case I've ever heard about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,395 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've not watched it yet but I can't wait to rewatch at the weekend but I love that jurassic park is on Netflix. I loved that movie when it first came out and had it on vhs for years. I think I've seen the lost world one and I don't think I've ever seen the third one. I didn't know that Sam Neil came back for a second film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Book of Henry is a nice little movie that is guaranteed to have you in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

cusser wrote:
    It is very well done, but I had to abandon it because that particular crime was so disturbing. It was/is difficult to contemplate. I hope this documentary instigates more worldwide attention. Having researched the story since watching the first 3 episodes... it seems that not a lot has been accomplished in reducing cases of rape and violence towards women in India.

Documentary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

whatever76 wrote: »
    Season 5 of Schitts creek coming in May .. wooh oo !

Love that show! They added a random episode there a few weeks ago - maybe a taster for what’s to come

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭spuddy90

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Documentary?

It's a series based on true events. Not documentary

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Clash
    Amid the tumult following Egyptian President Morsi's ouster, demonstrators from divergent backgrounds are brought together inside a police truck.

Detention Letter
    A man begins to regret his choices when his brother decides to join him as a member of the same terrorist organization

and a few other Egyptian films added today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Book of Henry is a nice little movie that is guaranteed to have you in tears.

Just to give a counterpoint, this got terrible reviews and is seen as one of the reasons Colin Trevorow was dropped from SW Episode IX. I sat through it in complete bafflement that it had got made. There are some interesting ideas but I think one of the biggest problems was casting Naomi Watts who must be nearly 50 in the role of the mother who enjoys video games and is naive enough to go along with her son's plan (trying to avoid spoilers). I thought it was utterly ridiculous but it clearly worked for some.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've not watched it yet but I can't wait to rewatch at the weekend but I love that jurassic park is on Netflix. I loved that movie when it first came out and had it on vhs for years. I think I've seen the lost world one and I don't think I've ever seen the third one. I didn't know that Sam Neil came back for a second film.
    25 years on, and that T-Rex scene has yet to be beaten in 'monster action'.

Not just the CGI (and animatronics) but the direction, setting, sound... everything. :)

Dades wrote: »
    25 years on, and that T-Rex scene has yet to be beaten in 'monster action'.

Not just the CGI (and animatronics) but the direction, setting, sound... everything. :)
    I think Jurassic park was the first film I saw on a big screen with surround sound....absolutely brilliant film.
    I have seen it so many times since, still holds up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The fact most of the FX from that T-Rex scene was just a big animatronic puppet is probably why it still holds up. The CGI is pretty strong too, but it remains a clearcut example of why staging, acting and tension is easier to build when everyone can work against a huge prop - and not a tennis ball on a stick that'll get filled in by a render farm (coupled with the fact many modernday FX scenes aren't even 'directed' by the director him/herself)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No amount of second unit directors and render farms could match this.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    (coupled with the fact many modernday FX scenes aren't even 'directed' by the director him/herself)

*cough*MCU*cough* (Which also explains why 10 years of FX all have the same generic look.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

safetyboy wrote: »

Was loving it. Episodes 1-5 all good. Things going well. Then episode 6.
    I thought I had skipped an episode by accident so checked back. Nope nothing missed.
    WTF is going on? 7&8 nothing.

Annoyed. Haven't been this disappointed since The OA

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement