Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Burial of Kojo is an intriguing film from Ghana, for those in search of something unusual and interesting. It’s a pretty visually splendid film, full of clever framing and fetching dream-like images. The pacing is a touch uneven at times, and certain aspects don’t entirely work. But it pulls together surprisingly well at the end, with a conclusion that ties everything up in a satisfying, thoughtful and melancholic way. An accomplished debut film, and one that hopefully won’t get lost in the algorithms.

It keeps recommending that to me at the moment, was wondering if it was actually any good as the few visuals I saw on the app looked interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

peteeeed wrote: »
    BONDING season 1
    A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant.

Seven, 15min episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Netflix has announced an upcoming Original drama series that charts the origins of football. “The English Game”, which has already started production in the UK, is written and executive produced by “Downton Abbey” creator Julian Fellowes and produced by 42 (“Watership Down”, “Traitors”). The six-part drama charts the origins of football and how those involved in its creation reached across the class divide to establish the game as the world’s most popular sport.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Netflix has announced an upcoming Original drama series that charts the origins of football. “The English Game”, which has already started production in the UK, is written and executive produced by “Downton Abbey” creator Julian Fellowes and produced by 42 (“Watership Down”, “Traitors”). The six-part drama charts the origins of football and how those involved in its creation reached across the class divide to establish the game as the world’s most popular sport.

Surely that should read "reached across the class divide to keep those pesky working class folks occupied on the weekends so they didn't revolt" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Caught Detroit (2017) and England is Mine (About Morrissey before he "became" Morrissey) on Netflix recently.

I thought Detroit was excellent and England is Mine wasn't bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Caught Detroit (2017) and England is Mine (About Morrissey before he "became" Morrissey) on Netflix recently.

I think Morrissey's a bit of a legend (Sleep is the brother of death!:D) but fell asleep watching England Is Mine waiting for something meteoric to happen. I watched it again and promptly fell asleep again! :rolleyes:

I’m pretty sure this was written directed and starring Danny Dyer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Think I got sick in my mouth a little at reading that sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I think Morrissey's a bit of a legend (Sleep is the brother of death!:D) but fell asleep watching England Is Mine waiting for something meteoric to happen. I watched it again and promptly fell asleep again! :rolleyes:

Yeah I know what you mean but something about the film clicked with me and I enjoyed it. I thought the script and the actor conveyed that slightly bitchy wit of Morrissey very well, even the quiet, slow desperation of the film matched what he went on to sing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can recommend The Ruthless. An Italian mafia/mobster movie. Solid 7/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

tigger123 wrote: »
    Think I got sick in my mouth a little at reading that sentence.
    Tigger123 it sounds like you need to see a medical professional....

danny-dyer-1.png?strip=all&w=856

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Anyone watch Resurrection Ertegrul, had started downloading before I noticed there are about 150 episodes @ 40 mins +. 7.6 rating on IMDb though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fysh wrote: »
    I wonder if Netflix will have seasons 1-3 of Lucifer as well as S4 - it'd be pretty silly not to have them, but now that Fox is owned by the Mousehouse I could see them being...unhelpful, let's say.

Im an idiot. I read it as Luther not Lucifer!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Detroit is excellent.
    Very much overlooked at the awards ceremonies last year. Especially the young English actor who was in the recent awful Bandersnatch Black Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Watched Triple Frontier. :(

Utter sh1te. Don't bother.

Woeful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watching Troy, Fall of a city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Black 47 was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Well worth a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Finally got round to watching The Sinner, really enjoyed it and thought Jessica Beil and Bill Pullman gave great performances. Is Season 2 any good?

Finally got round to watching The Sinner, really enjoyed it and thought Jessica Beil and Bill Pullman gave great performances. Is Season 2 any good?

I didn't find it nearly as good and gave up half way through.

• Advertisement

A Mission in an Old Movie

An Hour and a Half
    Based on the 2002 El Ayyat train accident, this drama begins 90 minutes before the explosion, following the lives of riders in the third-class cars.

Aurora
    A fatal shipwreck spurs an islander innkeeper and her sister to recover the missing victims' bodies -- until the dead come seeking shelter themselves.

Baywatch (2017)

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

BONDING season 1
    A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant.

added today

Started this yesterday. Weird but entertaining.

Dont blink though cause you'll mis an episode. They are only 17 mins or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

inforfun wrote: »
    BONDING season 1

added today

That is some long ass blinking...

I usually have to think between closing my eyes and opening again whether it is worth the effort to finish the blink.

Was it a web series originally or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

inforfun wrote: »

I like that with Netflix. Episodes often have different run times throughout a series. Most sitcoms are only about 22 minutes with the ads taken out, so 17 minutes isn't that short. If you only need 17 minutes to tell the story, why take more?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The mini episodes is so people can watch it on their phone while travelling to work etc. It's an experiment aimed at young people and fairly cheaply produced as it's not clear if there's an audience for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I really like the idea of mini episodes. It's the reason I watched the first Bonding last night.
    Enjoyed it as a short bit of entertainment, when so many series are clearly being drawn out to fill runtime.

I also watched the first episode of The Umbrella Academy. I'm a bit jaded of superhero/comic book stuff but I'll keep going for another episode or two.
    The mini episodes is so people can watch it on their phone while travelling to work etc.
    Not one for a crowded train, maybe. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Dades wrote: »
    I really like the idea of mini episodes. It's the reason I watched the first Bonding last night.
    Enjoyed it as a short bit of entertainment, when so many series are clearly being drawn out to fill runtime.

I also watched the first episode of The Umbrella Academy. I'm a bit jaded of superhero/comic book stuff but I'll keep going for another episode or two.

Not one for a crowded train, maybe. :P

Its very different from anything Marvel/DC are doing tbh, felt like a breath of fresh air to the genre. Really really enjoyed it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Watch a series a while back called QB1. It follows 4 school kids and their "football" teams. An eye opener into how the yanks rank school sports and winning above a real education and giving kids a future that might not revolve around sports. Theres professional rugby and soccer teams with not even half the facilities some of these schools and kids have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Its very different from anything Marvel/DC are doing tbh, felt like a breath of fresh air to the genre. Really really enjoyed it myself.

watched the whole thing myself (daughter likes it) and tbh it seems like a generic indie superhero comic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

neris wrote: »
    Watch a series a while back called QB1. It follows 4 school kids and their "football" teams. An eye opener into how the yanks rank school sports and winning above a real education and giving kids a future that might not revolve around sports. Theres professional rugby and soccer teams with not even half the facilities some of these schools and kids have

If you enjoyed that you might enjoy Last Chance U, first couple of seasons were enjoyable.

I like that with Netflix. Episodes often have different run times throughout a series. Most sitcoms are only about 22 minutes with the ads taken out, so 17 minutes isn't that short. If you only need 17 minutes to tell the story, why take more?

Was just a bit of extra info.
    Totally agree, if you can do it in 17 mins, do it in 17 minutes.

it is the main reason i got rid of a tv subscription and went a "different" way watching series.
    On tv an episode takes 1 full hour while there is only 42 minutes of real playing time. I am getting too old to waste 33% of my time on Always and Daz adds.

sideswipe wrote: »
    If you enjoyed that you might enjoy Last Chance U, first couple of seasons were enjoyable.

cheers i,ll give it a look. Not that interested in american football but just thought it was a totally different way of living and expectation then kids get over here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

cheers i,ll give it a look. Not that interested in american football but just thought it was a totally different way of living and expectation then kids get over here

check out Friday Night Lights if you haven't already, 5 series drama about high school football in US.
    I have zero interest in sports but it is my favourite series. Is not on netflix anymore though (and might have been only on US version at one stage), you will need to head over to amazon or elsewhere.
    TG4 are also repeating for the nth time mid week, they are up to s2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Friday Night Lights is in my top 3 series along with The Wire and GOT. Got my father, who knows nothing about sports, to watch all 5 seasons in 2 weeks. Wish it was on Netflix

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

RayCun wrote: »
    watched the whole thing myself (daughter likes it) and tbh it seems like a generic indie superhero comic
    Yeah, I'm not sure anything superhero/comic can be fresh any more.

DC stuff, Marvel stuff, Suicide Squad, X-Men, Chris Nolan's Batman, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim, M Knight trilogy... every flavour of comic storytelling has been licked... and still they make more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bonding is fun.
    Nice easy watch, I also enjoyed special, nice short episodes and something a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

A Fortunate Man
    A gifted engineer flees his austere roots to pursue wealth and success among Copenhagen’s elite, but the pride propelling him threatens to be his ruin.

This is a very good movie, but its in danish but has english subs. Its a fairly long film (162 mins), but it kept my usually poor attention span for the whole movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just watched "Silence" to be honest I wasn't expecting much, but it was truly awful.
    How can respected actors like Stanley Tucci be involved with this type of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

joe40 wrote: »
    How can respected actors like Stanley Tucci be involved with this type of nonsense.

th?id=OIP.ggr6p53h1QfB8x2KWTlZeAHaIw

• Advertisement

Yankee (its on my feed but not available to watch yet)
    The story of Edgar Valdez, a young man from Texas who, instead of heading off to University with his friends, decided to cross the Rio Grande to become one of the most bloodthirsty assassins in the history of Mexican drug trafficking.

Brawl in Cell Block 99
    A former boxer runs drugs for a living, but when a botched deal gets him jailed, he must take violent measures to protect his wife and unborn child

Chambers season 1
    Haunted by eerie visions and sinister impulses after a heart transplant, a teenager tries to unmask the truth behind her donor's mysterious death

Loving is Losing
    When a newly single photographer is forced to work with a longtime rival, the battle of their egos turns into a chance for love.

ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads
    Cloaked in mystery, bluesman Robert Johnson left his mark on American music. Now family, critics and famous fans look for the real man behind the music.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 2

Street Food season 1
    Embark on a global cultural journey into street food and discover the stories of the people who create the flavorful dishes

The Protector season 2 (turkish)
    Discovering his ties to a secret ancient order, a young man living in modern Istanbul embarks on a quest to save the city from an immortal enemy

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mellor wrote: »
    th?id=OIP.ggr6p53h1QfB8x2KWTlZeAHaIw
    I love the hunger games and he is great fun in them....real scenery chewing..literally with those big fake white teeth

joe40 wrote: »
    Just watched "Silence" to be honest I wasn't expecting much, but it was truly awful.

I didn’t think it was too bad to be honest.
    It was difficult to watch in a lot of parts, but I believe it is historically accurate as to what happened in the Far East back then, and they didn’t exaggerate the torture scenes.
    I think given time people will think more of the film, in similar way to the Terence Malick film ‘The New World’ which I think is a classic. How the lead actress who played Pocahontas didn’t get nominated for as Oscar let alone win it I will never know. And it is one of the few films that Colin Farrell is good in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I didn’t think it was too bad to be honest.
    It was difficult to watch in a lot of parts, but I believe it is historically accurate as to what happened in the Far East back then, and they didn’t exaggerate the torture scenes..

You're talking about Silence from 2016. OP is talking about The Silence released this year directly to Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yes sorry for the confusion, it was my mistake. I was talking about "the silence", the recent netflix movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I've been watching 'line of duty'..Very addictive UK cop series.

ixoy wrote: »
    You're talking about Silence from 2016. OP is talking about The Silence released this year directly to Netflix.

Lol. Thanks!!

watched some tripe with keanu reeves in it last night called Siberia. Well watched about 30 minutes of it and left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

watched some tripe with keanu reeves in it last night called Siberia. Well watched about 30 minutes of it and left

I don't know if I got further than you, left it after he got the sh*te knocked out of him outside of a bar by two lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Watched La Mante during the week, a 6 episode French crime drama. Very good. Also really recommend Quicksand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement