Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Any recommendations for sports documentaries? I've watched Sunderland Til I Die (excellent) and most of season 1 of QB1 (hit and miss) so far. This is for when the wife is working nights and I can indulge in something she won't enjoy! (No sniggering at the back)
    Not sure if it's still on Netflix or not, but there's a great doc called The Short Game.

It's about young golfers & some (very) pushy parents. It's a really good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Anyone watch Resurrection Ertegrul, had started downloading before I noticed there are about 150 episodes @ 40 mins +. 7.6 rating on IMDb though

8 episodes into this and I’m really enjoying it, read somewhere it was theTurkish Game of Thrones, not quite up there but good enough, let’s see if I last, only 68 more episodes to go in season 1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure if it's still on Netflix or not, but there's a great doc called The Short Game.

Yep it's on Netflix must give it a watch.

Edit: excellent documentary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks for all the sports doc recommendations folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yep it's on Netflix must give it a watch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished watching The Wandering Earth, and enjoyed it rather a lot. It's a visually spectacular disaster movie, sort of like a mix of Sunshine, Gravity, The Day After Tomorrow and Armageddon - but one that demands to be seen on the biggest screen you've got because you can see every penny that's been spent on it. The plot is at various points dumb as a box of rocks (as you might expect given some of the comparisons I've made) but it's entertainingly dumb and there are some breathtaking visual moments.

Really enjoying quicksand. Two left to watch, hope it ends well

Would recommend..6 episodes....gripping till the very end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its not just the end of The Bodyguard that's poor. What a terrible series.

Ah no it is, Ted. First few episodes were fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bodyguard took a tumble when
    Julia Montegue was killed (episode 4?).
    in my humble opinion.

But that the entire series was award winning quality if i compare it to Baptiste which i watched after Bodyguard.
    That is not on netflix but if it ever gets there... avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Autecher wrote: »
    I finished this yesterday, it's hit and miss as all sketch shows are but I belly laughed at least once per episode which is good enough for me. I hope there is another season.
    (I think you should leave)

Yeah, I agree. I think some of the sketches were also overlong but there was normally at least one very funny sketch each episode.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fysh wrote: »
    Just finished watching The Wandering Earth, and enjoyed it rather a lot. It's a visually spectacular disaster movie, sort of like a mix of Sunshine, Gravity, The Day After Tomorrow and Armageddon - but one that demands to be seen on the biggest screen you've got because you can see every penny that's been spent on it. The plot is at various points dumb as a box of rocks (as you might expect given some of the comparisons I've made) but it's entertainingly dumb and there are some breathtaking visual moments.

Has it got English language option? If it’s Armageddon (that’s truly one of my favourite guilty pleasures) then I’d rather be able to enjoy the spectacle then miss bits reading subtitles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bong Joon Ho's Snowpiercer starring Chris Evans has been added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Drumpot wrote: »
    Has it got English language option? If it’s Armageddon (that’s truly one of my favourite guilty pleasures) then I’d rather be able to enjoy the spectacle then miss bits reading subtitles!

I'm pretty sure it does as the trailer is dubbed in english at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FunLover18 wrote: »

I really enjoyed that, worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Nearing the finale of quicksand; slow start but gripping drama after about four episodes. Also watching the mechanism which is decent enough. Looking forward to dark season two though, might have to rewatch season one, gripping mix of sci fi and horror.

Loved Quicksand, and as I'm trying to learn Spanish at the moment it was a bonus.

But yeah, great story. Reminded me of Line of Duty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Such an underrated gem of a film; is Netflix showing the full or abridged cut, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched Beneath the Curve, which tells the story of those who believe the earth is flat and we are all being lied to.

Not done in a condescending way, but at times it lets the believers be their own worst enemies.

Interesting to see the lives the believers lead. Some of them are internet superstars at this point, and you'd almost think some of them enjoy this side of it more than the actual subject matter itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

pixelburp wrote: »
    Such an underrated gem of a film; is Netflix showing the full or abridged cut, does anyone know?
    Full version, I don't think a cut version was ever released. The delay in releasing was Harvey Weinstein wanted 20 minutes cut and Bong Joon-Ho refused to do it, eventually Harvey gave up and sold the movie to another distributor.

Also I see Netflix are doing a Snowpiercer tv show which I had no idea about!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Autecher wrote: »
    Full version, I don't think a cut version was ever released. The delay in releasing was Harvey Weinstein wanted 20 minutes cut and Bong Joon-Ho refused to do it, eventually Harvey gave up and sold the movie to another distributor.

Also I see Netflix are doing a Snowpiercer tv show which I had no idea about!

Great, I couldn't remember the finer details of that saga, but was worried the shorter Weinstein version actually existed in the wild. Good to hear it's the original one.

Yeah, there's a TV series due, but from what I read it has been a hot mess behind the scenes so far:
    A Snowpiercer TV series based on the movie [...] entered development in late 2015, with Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) serving as showrunner. TNT picked up the project a year later and set Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange) to direct and co-produce the pilot with Friedman and Joon-ho. However, shortly after TNT ordered the show to series in January 2018, Friedman was formally dropped over creative differences and replaced with Orphan Black co-creator Graeme Manson. Derrickson then left the series after declining to carry out heavy reshoots on the pilot, and was similarly replaced by James Hawes (who'd previously worked on TNT's The Alienist).

Taken from: https://screenrant.com/snowpiercer-tv-show-release-date-story-cast/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Lisha wrote: »
    Currently watching Top of the Lake China Girl .... didn’t think it could be as good as first one but I think it is equally as good if not better.

I just watched the pilot of Season 1 and its the least enjoyable first episode of a serious drama I've seen in the post Oz/Soprano's TV era. The female lead is the typical trite overly competent, resolute, emotionally closed caricature that has been done a thousand times over. All of the men are total chauvinistic buffoons who are mostly unbelievably malevolent. It's like the show was written by a corporate communications department.

Does this improve or go beyond the shallow stereotypes at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Watched episode I of Chamber last night. Poor start to a series imo. Rated 18s but spends half the time about a teenage girl trying to lose her virginity. Uma Thurman stars as the psychotic mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

gmisk wrote: »
    I see the trailer for Chris Lilleys new show on netflix (Lunatics) is out!
    Loved Summer Heights High...this looks equally as insane
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FapFfOZ64cE

Tried to watch this, gave up after 2 episodes.
    Summer Heights High, Angry Boys etc hadnt exactly set the bar too high, so I knew what to expect going into this, some off colour non-PC jokes with a lot of stupid knob gags.

Didnt even draw a childish snigger from me during the first two. I dont think its been sanitised for netflix either, i think its just rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think if you weren't too enamoured with his previous output I don't think this will grab you. I like his stuff, but can easily see why others won't. There's not a chance in hell my wife will sit and watch 1 minute of it with me

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Started season 2 of The OA last night, I really like how they have transitioned this to the new story but related to the old one.
    I was wondering how or what they would do and been impressed so far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think if you weren't too enamoured with his previous output I don't think this will grab you. I like his stuff, but can easily see why others won't. There's not a chance in hell my wife will sit and watch 1 minute of it with me

I loved Summer Heights High but even the spin offs from that weren't as good, in my opinion. The Ja'mie one was probably the better but even it was stretching the jokes a bit thin. And weirdly, Mr.G was the best character, and the only one not to get a spin off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Started season 2 of The OA last night, I really like how they have transitioned this to the new story but related to the old one.
    I was wondering how or what they would do and been impressed so far.

Yeah it's very good, better than the 1st i think. Every time they do the 'movements' i cringe pretty hard though!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought the second season of The OA was excellent; I've read mention of 5-season plan and really hope we get to see more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started watching Dead To Me..

.. an interesting premise with some nice twists 'n' turns had become a bit drab midway through. I'll stick with it and see if out though probably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watched the first half of Chinese SF flick The Wandering Earth last night. Pretty solid sci-fi Roland Emmerich type stuff. Looking forward to the rest of it later.

English language dubbed, rather than subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

When is The Ted Bundy Movie due to hit Irish Netflix? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When is The Ted Bundy Movie due to hit Irish Netflix? Anyone know?

It’s Sky produced so I’d imagine a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basq wrote: »
    'I Think You Should Leave' is a solid enough, often dark, sketch show. Easy 6 episode watch at under 20 minutes a piece.

This wasn't bad at all. A little hit and miss, but some well written stuff in there.

Cheers for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It's completely mental and hilarious at times. Brilliantly shot and directed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Watched episode I of Chamber last night. Poor start to a series imo. Rated 18s but spends half the time about a teenage girl trying to lose her virginity. Uma Thurman stars as the psychotic mother.

I agree. I would usually never look at IMDB ratings and make up my own mind - but this is pretty poor. I've thrown in the towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m not finished it but I’m watching Kodachrome which stars Ed Harris (ever since Apollo 13 I will watch any film he’s in) and I knew that Elizabeth Olsen was the younger sister of the Olsen twins but that’s basically it. I’ve liked her so far in this movie. This movie is great so far if a little predictable. It’s telegraphing what will happen.

Anyway, what are people’s opinions of her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Really missing peteeeed's updates on what's coming and going !

Im sure I'm missing out on stuff !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, I don't want to make a new thread about it, so might be enough poking here.
    Anyone knows why new Netflix Ted Bundy movie Extremely Wicked is not available here and by the looks of it, we need to go to Cinema for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone knows why new Netflix Ted Bundy movie Extremely Wicked is not available here and by the looks of it, we need to go to Cinema for it?
    Sky Cinema bought the UK rights, but on Netflix in all other regions AFAIK.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/ae2107bb-40f0-4fca-8766-f17405f520b5

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Sky Cinema bought the UK rights, but on Netflix in all other regions AFAIK.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/ae2107bb-40f0-4fca-8766-f17405f520b5

Thank you. That is just weird way of doing it. Ironically I pay for Netflix and now have to watch Netflix movie on the "app".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Thank you. That is just weird way of doing it. Ironically I pay for Netflix and now have to watch Netflix movie on the "app".

Netflix didn't make it so it not a Netflix movie,Sky made it.

Netflix didn't make it so it not a Netflix movie,Sky made it.

I could swear I sow ads for it on Netflix itself before. Even watching it now, the massive Netflix logo at start.
    Thank you for clearing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I could swear I sow ads for it on Netflix itself before. Even watching it now, the massive Netflix logo at start.
    Thank you for clearing it up.

Yeah i think i have it all wrong i thought Sky made it as they are calling it a Sky cinema original,looks like they just bought the UK and Ireland rights and Netflix have the US rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I agree. I would usually never look at IMDB ratings and make up my own mind - but this is pretty poor. I've thrown in the towel

The trailer and premise looked promising, disappointed to hear it looks to be bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I just watched Snowpiercer, and why can't Netflix do subtitles properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just watched it, brilliant performance from Efron but it's a fairly average film otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I started Inside No. 9 after seeing it recommended here a good while back. 4 eps in and it's absolutely first class. Up there with Black Mirror as far as anthology series go. I'm not sure what took me so long to give it a go...

Can't wait to get going on the next episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Money heist S3? Is this because they added S1 and S2 as one on Netflix but it went out as two on TV?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I just watched Snowpiercer, and why can't Netflix do subtitles properly?
    What do you mean - is it that the default colours mean it's hard to read against white (so snow in this case)?
    If that's the case, you can adjust the subtitles if you want. The colour and font can be changed and you can also add a background colour to them to distinguish them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement