Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rob316 wrote: »
    Just watched it, brilliant performance from Efron but it's a fairly average film otherwise.

Agreed, the documentary is so much better viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ixoy wrote: »
    What do you mean - is it that the default colours mean it's hard to read against white (so snow in this case)?
    If that's the case, you can adjust the subtitles if you want. The colour and font can be changed and you can also add a background colour to them to distinguish them.

No it's that they're either on for everything or not on at all. There's bits in Snowpiercer that subtitles didn't come on automatically when they should have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

ixoy wrote: »
    What do you mean - is it that the default colours mean it's hard to read against white (so snow in this case)?
    If that's the case, you can adjust the subtitles if you want. The colour and font can be changed and you can also add a background colour to them to distinguish them.

When the Korean lad was talking there were no subtitles. Turn on the subtitles and they are on for him, also the English speakers, also 'sound of engine stalling' 'glass cracks' descriptive stuff for deaf people.
    I've noticed this crap subtitling in a couple of films now, its very amateurish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone else getting site errors on Netflix this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

When the Korean lad was talking there were no subtitles. Turn on the subtitles and they are on for him, also the English speakers, also 'sound of engine stalling' 'glass cracks' descriptive stuff for deaf people. I've noticed this crap subtitling in a couple of films now, its very amateurish.

Do you have English [cc] turned on instead of going down further to just English this should not include the descriptive stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yep. Not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Working here.

adox wrote: »
    Working here.

Back up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Basq wrote: »
    Started watching Dead To Me..

.. an interesting premise with some nice twists 'n' turns had become a bit drab midway through. I'll stick with it and see if out though probably.
    Yeah watched this all the way through. Usual Netflix comedy offer with everyone swearing like a trooper. The good is the chemistry between the leads and there is crackling interaction. Some of the work on the main plot is really not so hot and almost predictably random with some very convenient plot devices and characters thrown in. At 30m an episode it moves along quickly enough but it slips in places and
    they just couldn't resist so obviously setting it up for Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Started the Belgian drama Undercover. Very good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bobby Robson doc is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Itssoeasy wrote:
    I’m not finished it but I’m watching Kodachrome which stars Ed Harris (ever since Apollo 13 I will watch any film he’s in) and I knew that Elizabeth Olsen was the younger sister of the Olsen twins but that’s basically it. I’ve liked her so far in this movie. This movie is great so far if a little predictable. It’s telegraphing what will happen.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Anyway, what are people’s opinions of her ?

Think she's really good. Was in a brilliant film called Wind River with Jeremy Renner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Today I discovered there's a March of the Penguins 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Northern Ireland documentary double bill expiring soon on MUBI:
    https://mubi.com/specials/the-irish-connection

Made decades apart by a father and son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When the Korean lad was talking there were no subtitles. Turn on the subtitles and they are on for him, also the English speakers, also 'sound of engine stalling' 'glass cracks' descriptive stuff for deaf people.
    I've noticed this crap subtitling in a couple of films now, its very amateurish.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. But are you complaining that subtitles cater for deaf people? That's an odd grievence tbh.
    As it complaining that english is included, when you turn on subtitles. That's what subtitle

I think you are trying to complain about the lack of subtitles for the non-english scenes. That's a film production issue, not an issue the subtitle menu option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think that is his complaint. I think it is more the subtitle set up he has.
    Where can you change the set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't think that is his complaint. I think it is more the subtitle set up he has.
    Where can you change the set up?

Think they should be divided in menu by English cc and English. Cc is close captioned for deafness etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

batgoat wrote: »
    Think they should be divided in menu by English cc and English. Cc is close captioned for deafness etc.

Ah I know that but someone else said you can change the colour of the subs aswell as giving them a black background.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah I know that but someone else said you can change the colour of the subs aswell as giving them a black background.
    Can't do it on the Netflix Android app but on the web browser interface, I navigate to Account - Subtitle Appearance (it can be set per profile).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught Wind River last night. I'm sure part of this is my lack of regard for Jeremy Renner, but this was underwhelming compared to some of the chat about it when it came out. Like, it's not awful but it's hardly brilliant, more like an ok thriller with an interesting setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The new Anthony Jeselnik special is very good. And if you haven't seen it already, The Girl with All the Gifts has just been added.

The new Anthony Jeselnik special is very good.

He has some good jokes but his delivery is desperate. I saw him on the Joe Rogan podcast too and he wasn't entertaining on that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He has some good jokes but his delivery is desperate. I saw him on the Joe Rogan podcast too and he wasn't entertaining on that either.

The way he delivers his jokes, besides the whole bait and switch of the punchline, is his schtick. If you don't enjoy that, you're going to find it very hard to enjoy his comedy. For me, I think it's great and I've enjoyed all his specials. Caligula is fantastic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Girl With All The Gifts was added yesterday. Really good zombie film that focuses a bit more on ethical issues than horror and gore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The way he delivers his jokes, besides the whole bait and switch of the punchline, is his schtick. If you don't enjoy that, you're going to find it very hard to enjoy his comedy. For me, I think it's great and I've enjoyed all his specials. Caligula is fantastic

Yeah, his delivery is the whole point. That said, i thought the new show was below par apart from a couple of jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Synode wrote: »
    I've found that with a good few shows lately where they have the music way too loud. Turning the audio to English (original) rather than 5.1 has helped sometimes. You have to do it every time though instead of setting it globally, which is annoying.

Thanks, this worked a treat.

As I said I think he has some good jokes in there.
    Its just... the way he... talks slowly... and pauses... turns... and delivers the... punchline. It's too forced and the American audience being an American audience cheer at every pause.

Trailer for McG's latest, eh, endeavour - Rim of the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gmisk wrote: »
    I think that is harsh on happy valley....it is fantastic imo

It's not fantastic in my opinion. Ill meet you halfway and say it's very good. 7 or 8 out of 10. You were right I was harsh by saying it was ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Knock Down The House, aka Netflix's Alexandria Ocasio Cortez documentary. I'm naturally drawn to the material as both a US politics nerd and avid follower of AOC and the other progressives who've managed to get a foothold in this darkest of timelines. So was curious to see how this turned out.

While AOC dominates the film (I'd say her campaign commands about a half to two-thirds of the running time), what's interesting is that director Rachel Lears follows three other politicians also up against establishment candidates. These three women are less well-known, and you can guess why. In that sense, this doubles as both a feelgood story of the candidate who prevailed against the odds, but more somberly the story of the three unsuccessful efforts to challenge the status quo. As anyone who followed the mid-terms knows, there's a lot of work to do to properly establish a more powerful progressive presence in Washington.

In terms of its documenting of the AOC campaign, this is pretty invaluable. I'd been following her campaign in the few months running up to the primaries and mid-terms, but it's great the crew here got access much earlier than that - we see this tiny campaign move from a tiny grassroots effort for signatures to a national/international news event in such detail.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Girl With All The Gifts was added yesterday. Really good zombie film that focuses a bit more on ethical issues than horror and gore.

The book it's based on is also worth a check; a lot of the themes and characters are better fleshed out, as is often the case with film adaptations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone recommend a film? Crime/thriller ish..?

Edit: Going for mystic River

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

If you want to brush up on a bit of Spanish

Mirage
    The Invisible Guest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Marje wrote: »
    If you want to brush up on a bit of Spanish

Mirage
    The Invisible Guest

Not mad on having to read subtitles, thanks anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bad Day For The Cut (Irish) and Calibre (Scottish) are both good.

Fysh wrote: »
    Bad Day For The Cut (Irish) and Calibre (Scottish) are both good.

Both decent films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Edit: Going for mystic River

Well, you won't be disappointed with that. Great film, with a great Sean Penn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anyone watch any of Tuca & Bertie yet?

I'm a big fan of Bojack Horseman so have this a go but only lasted 10 minutes. Just way to wacky for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anyone watch any of Tuca & Bertie yet?

I'm a big fan of Bojack Horseman so have this a go but only lasted 10 minutes. Just way to wacky for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Troy, fall of a city is very good. If you like Spartacus you’d probably like this aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Was off the grid for 10 days so ....

People just do nothing series 4
    The girl with all the gifts
    Snowpiercer
    Undercover season 1
    Undercover agents infiltrate a drug kingpin's operation by posing as a couple at the campground where he spends his weekends. Inspired by real events

Knock Down The House
    Go behind the scenes as four determined women -- including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez -- challenge big-money politicians in the 2018 race for Congress
    Added over the last few days
    The 12th Man
    Based on true events, this story follows a Norwegian saboteur's harrowing struggle to reach safety after escaping a Nazi attack during World War II
    Added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The new Anthony Jeselnik special is very good. And if you haven't seen it already, The Girl with All the Gifts has just been added.
    I wanted to like this but didn't unfortunately. I don't think his delivery is the problem necessarily but it's the fact that the a lot of the jokes are so predictable that leaving the space between the set-up and the punchline just leaves time for me to say the punchline before he does. I also think that despite the subject matter of his jokes it all just seemed very bland to me. He used to smile on stage, he used to interact with the crowd a bit at least. Now he is almost robotic, no personality, like a joke machine that's programmed for an hour then stops.

fin12 wrote: »
    Troy, fall of a city is very good. If you like Spartacus you’d probably like this aswell.

Nudity and violence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Enjoyed watching the girl with all the gifts last night. Good film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I quite liked Hearts Beat Loud. Nice story and good soundtrack, bit of a High Fidelity vibe in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Snowpiercer is pretty good, at least i recall enjoying it when i saw it a few years ago. Strange/odd though.

Half way through dead to me. Enjoying it!

So the Ted Bundy film, will it come to Netflix Ireland after it’s out of the cinema? Just wondering how long we have to wait till it comes to Netflix Ireland or is it better to just go see it in the cinema?

Nudity and violence?

Hardly no nudity but there’s lots of battles and sword fights. It reminded me of Spartacus in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

fin12 wrote: »
    So the Ted Bundy film, will it come to Netflix Ireland after it’s out of the cinema? Just wondering how long we have to wait till it comes to Netflix Ireland or is it better to just go see it in the cinema?

The Zak efrron one? It's on sky at the moment so not sure if Netflix will have it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement