Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Zak efrron one? It's on sky at the moment so not sure if Netflix will have it?

I just checked my local cinema there and it’s showing now. I don’t have sky. I’m just thinking I’m assuming they will add it at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

fin12 wrote: »
    I just checked my local cinema there and it’s showing now. I don’t have sky. I’m just thinking I’m assuming they will add it at some stage.

Save yourself money and a trip to the cinema the film is shite,Sky have the rights for it here so it might never be on Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

So the Ted Bundy film, will it come to Netflix Ireland after it’s out of the cinema? Just wondering how long we have to wait till it comes to Netflix Ireland or is it better to just go see it in the cinema?

that's a part sky production , won't be on Netflix over here

Lucifer Season 4
    Bored with being the Lord of Hell, the devil relocates to Los Angeles, where he opens a nightclub and forms a connection with a homicide detective.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another recommendation for Hearts Beat Loud. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Brawl on Cell Block 99 is worth a watch from S. Craig Zahler, the director of Bone Tomahawk so you know the kind of movie you're going to get. Great performance from Vince Vaughn, quite violent and not for everyone but I really enjoyed it

Watched this tonight, excellent prison flick. Vaughn is top notch. Don't watch if you're squeamish; it's bloody brutal in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Gets really dumb right at the end though. Pity.

So the Ted Bundy film, will it come to Netflix Ireland after it’s out of the cinema? Just wondering how long we have to wait till it comes to Netflix Ireland or is it better to just go see it in the cinema?

Watched this on Netflix Finland last night, terrible film. Extremely boring. Don't pay to see it in cinema is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Season 2 of Mindhunter stated for August by executive producer Charlize Theron.

Nitro Circus: The Movie
    wat als (what if?) season 1

added today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Watched this tonight, excellent prison flick. Vaughn is top notch. Don't watch if you're squeamish; it's bloody brutal in places.

Bone Tomahawk and Brawl on Cell Block 99 are incredible movies.
    There's a new one from Zahler coming out soon in the theaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Bone Tomahawk and Brawl on Cell Block 99 are incredible movies.
    There's a new one from Zahler coming out soon in the theaters.
    If you are talking about dragged across concrete, I think its already been and gone in cinemas pretty much.

I like the look of new show called The Society it launches on netflix tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

gmisk wrote: »
    If you are talking about dragged across concrete, I think its already been and gone in cinemas pretty much.
    oh, I just seen a coming soon poster in a cinema recently.....should have read the date on the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

I thought Brawl on Cell Block 99 was absolutely abysmal.

Vince Vaughan lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix released their first top 10 lists and it's for the UK/Ireland Region.

Overall

Our Planet
    The Perfect Date
    The Highwaymen
    The Silence
    Black Summer
    After Life
    The Spy Who Dumped Me
    Riverdale
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
    You vs. Wild

Series

Black Summer
    After Life
    Riverdale
    Star Trek: Discovery
    Lunatics
    Bodyguard
    Santa Clarita Diet
    Bonding
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Documentaries

Our Planet
    The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann
    Homecoming: A film by Beyoncé
    The Legend of Cocaine Island
    Street Food
    The Investigator: A British Crime Story
    Formula 1: Drive to Survive
    Roman Empire
    One Strange Rock
    Top 10 Secrets and Mysteries

Film

The Perfect Date
    The Highwaymen
    The Silence
    The Spy Who Dumped Me
    Someone Great
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Baywatch
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    Sniper: Ultimate Kill
    Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Non-English language shows

Quicksand
    The Ruthless
    Osmosis
    Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga
    Delhi Crime
    Mirage
    Bitter Daisies
    A Fortunate Man
    Burn Out
    The Protector

Reality shows

You vs. Wild
    RuPaul’s Drag Race
    RuPaul’s Drag Race: Untucked!
    Queer Eye
    Selling Sunset
    Impractical Jokers
    Sugar Rush
    Tidying Up with Marie Kondo
    Love Island
    American Idol

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/netflix-first-top-10-list-uk-our-planet-the-perfect-date-1203209725/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder how much of a good / bad thing it is that only 2 or 3 of the shows in their Series top 10 are 'proper' Netflix Originals...

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder how much of a good / bad thing it is that only 2 or 3 of the shows in their Series top 10 are 'proper' Netflix Originals...
    I think about 6 of them are "real" netflix originals no? I dont think thats too bad actually, i know they buy a lot of content still

• Black Summer
    • After life
    • Sabrina
    • Lunatics
    • Santa clarita
    • Bonding

Series

Black Summer
    After Life
    Riverdale
    Lunatics
    Bodyguard
    Santa Clarita Diet
    Bonding
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think about 6 of them are "real" netflix originals no? I dont think thats too bad actually, i know they buy a lot of content still

• Black Summer
    • After life
    • Sabrina
    • Lunatics
    • Santa clarita
    • Bonding

Series

Black Summer
    After Life
    Riverdale
    Lunatics
    Bodyguard
    Santa Clarita Diet
    Bonding
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine

IIRC, Sabrina is a CW show, while Black Summer is SyFy / The Asylum, so more like 4 (assuming the others aren't also along those lines). Can be hard to know sometimes which are proper Originals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That seems to be an awful lot of holding pattern content. Really meh stuff much of it. There's little standing out.

• Advertisement

Sabrina isn't a CW show and Black Summer isn't a SYFY show they are both Netflix shows.

Hmmm, Sabrina is produced by WB, hadn't realised it stopped being a CW show; Black Summer is an Asylum production tho', who are tied to SyFy, so the waters are murky enough IMO.

Anyway, as Tony EH says there's no great standouts in that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That list makes me want to cancel my subscription. Apart from Star Trek, I’ve little to no interest with anything on that list, most of it is just a who’s who of cr*p.

With the likes of perfect date, riverdale, Sabrina, bonding, SantaCD, it really seems like Netflix is leaning more towards the tweenage demographic, and further away from the stuff I like.

I’d say I’m about one bad Netflix decision away from canceling my subscription. If something like The OA gets cancelled I’m definitely out.

Long term, Amazon prime seem to be heading in the right direction for me, Hana, jack ryan, lore, man in HC, with upcoming stuff like The Boys, wheel of time, Dark tower, LOTR, Hyperion, Carnival Row, east of west.... just way more stuff to be excited about.

And talking about cr^p, a special mention goes out to You vs. Wild. How this is in any “Best” list is just beyond me, I must not be on the same wave length as the rest of the subscribers in UK&Ire. It’s like something made for children. A camera follows bear grylls around while he flaffs about in a forest while pretending to be in danger, and Netflix lets you choose his next move.

Amateurs on YouTube produce better content than this, I mean..... C’mon

Ya the lists seem absolutely crap to me reading them?

No last kingdom???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume the lists are based on popularity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume the lists are based on popularity?

Exactly. They're the most watched. And people are coming on here moaning about the crap that other people watch as if that was the fault of Netflix. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

kerplun k wrote: »
    That list makes me want to cancel my subscription. Apart from Star Trek, I’ve little to no interest with anything on that list, most of it is just a who’s who of cr*p..

It's just a list of the most popular shows, you're under no obligation to watch them. I think the music top 10 is ****e, I'm not going to cancel my Spotify subscription because of it.

You vs Wild is pretty much aimed at kids, they love it.

Yeah, Game of Thrones might be the talk and toast of social media, but the reality is it's by no means the most popular show on (US) television. Big Bang Theory, all those CSI style procedurals, the last time I checked they dwarf HBOs signature show (been a while since I checked, and HBO Go probably bolsters those numbers). No more than in movies, most popular isn't an indicator of quality I guess...

No reason to think Netflix is any different - though they're definitely shy of a cultural darling or two. And TBH I find while Amazon has some better 'big ticket' fare, there's a lot more ... I guess you'd call shovelware than on Netflix.

• Advertisement

The snobbery about what people watch and is popular amazes me sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, Game of Thrones might be the talk and toast of social media, but the reality is it's by no means the most popular show on (US) television. Big Bang Theory, all those CSI style procedurals, the last time I checked they dwarf HBOs signature show (been a while since I checked, and HBO Go probably bolsters those numbers). No more than in movies, most popular isn't an indicator of quality I guess...

No reason to think Netflix is any different - though they're definitely shy of a cultural darling or two. And TBH I find while Amazon has some better 'big ticket' fare, there's a lot more ... I guess you'd call shovelware than on Netflix.
    HBO is a subscription service. The other shows you mentioned are on free channels. The viewing figures in the US are not a meaningful way of comparing them.

Exactly. They're the most watched. And people are coming on here moaning about the crap that other people watch as if that was the fault of Netflix. The mind boggles.

Just because the popularity of said shows is driving future content and not sure I like were it’s going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I Am Mother

Alexa/Siri/Hal/Tars ain't too happy in space...

Catch it from June 7th.

HBO is a subscription service. The other shows you mentioned are on free channels. The viewing figures in the US are not a meaningful way of comparing them.

Of course it's not a direct tool, point being that popularity doesn't necessarily track with the conversation happening outside the viewership, or occupies a 1:1 ratio. Show X might be highly watched, but perhaps it has low impact in viral circles. Depends on what Netflix's metrics are with these things (had recently read that they're latest mantra, according to insiders, is 3 seasons then drop it, hence the raft of cancellations).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's just for April, so not like it captures overall. And wonder what other factors Netflix take into account, considering Santa Clarita Diet is 6th yet has been cancelled.
    Wonder how all those foreign shows do.

And as for upcoming shows, as was posted in the television forum, Happy! is back June 5th. :)

And based on the success of Umbrella Academy, Netflix have signed a first look deal with Dark Horse comics
    https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/netflix/281023/netflix-dark-horse-entertainment-deal

• Advertisement

Schitt's Creek season 5

Wine Country (Amy Poehler)
    During a vacation to Napa Valley, a group of long time friends reunite and revisit past choices in this hilarious and heartfelt comedy from director Amy Poehler.

Shéhérazade
    Fresh out of prison and forced to fend for himself on the streets of Marseille, 17-year-old Zac falls in love with young prostitute Shéhérazade.

The Society season 1
    When everyone else mysteriously vanishes from their wealthy town, the teen residents of West Ham must forge their own society to survive in Netflix’s new drama, inspired by Lord of the Flies

Dry Martina
    An odd encounter with a fan and a tryst with that fan's ex-boyfriend leads a sexually adventurous singer on an escapade in Chile.

Harvey Girls Forever!: Season 2
    The hardworking Harvey Girls are back, making new enemies in the form of older siblings, finally meeting their boy-band idols – and more!

Dry Martina
    An odd encounter with a fan and a tryst with that fan’s ex-boyfriend leads a sexually adventurous singer on an escapade in Chile.

Gente que viene y bah
    After her partner cheats on her, an architect returns to her hometown to reassess her life with the help of her eccentric family. Based on the novel.

Easy: Season 3
    Diverse characters fumble through the modern maze of love, sex, technology and culture in Chicago in the final season of Joe Swanberg’s series.

Jailbirds season 1
    At the Sacramento County Jail, incarcerated women fight the power and one another as they try to make the best of life — and love — on the inside.

The Mechanism (O Mecanismo) season 2
    A scandal erupts in Brazil during an investigation of alleged government corruption via oil and construction companies. Loosely inspired by true events.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Society season 1
    When everyone else mysteriously vanishes from their wealthy town, the teen residents of West Ham must forge their own society to survive in Netflix’s new drama, inspired by Lord of the Flies

Easy: Season 3
    Diverse characters fumble through the modern maze of love, sex, technology and culture in Chicago in the final season of Joe Swanberg’s series.

added today

The Society is getting solid reviews, much as a man in my early 40's I dislike watching tv shows with teenagers as the main protagonist :mad: I might give this one a go.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of Easy. I like this type of observational tv.

I watched "The Wandering Earth" last night. I really liked it :o I was not expecting to. For sure, there is allot lost in translation, but not as much as I expected. And for a movie about earth blasting towards Alpha Centauri, the science kind of holds up, as much as it can like. The SJW in me might say, there is dismal female representation here. Its a really damning indictment on Chinese culture :(

Watched wine country.
    It was really silly and predictable but still a lot of fun, some great lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

The people in easy are so annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Today I got stuck indoors without even being able to cook. Had sandwiches and snacks tho!!
    I watched all of Bodyguard and Dirty John.
    Both were very good. Although the acting in Dirty John was better, maybe bit too much shouty from Bodyguard main actor. Tho he was good overall.
    Have to say Connie Britton is Avery underrated actor, she always delivers in the supporting role. Perhaps she is too attractive for an older woman?? Eric Ababa was superb in it. It was a great 6 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Next Gen is good and underrated. Great animation and world building; good humor, action and plot. Some people hated it just because one of the main characters is unlikable and the other one loves them (non romantically). This means there isn't a central character to comfortably identify with. Other criticisms were about the level of violence in a family movie (a plus in my book) and the (bleeped) bad language.

Best viewed on a big HDR TV if possible. The style of animation in the action scenes works best on a big screen, as it makes good use of scale and depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched wine country.
    It was really silly and predictable but still a lot of fun, some great lines.

I saw a trailer and it appears to be a shameless copy of Sideways.

Kin
    On the streets of Detroit, a lonely kid finds an otherworldly weapon and stumbles into a secret war that sends him and his ex-con brother on the run.

Merata: How Mum Decolonised the Screen
    New Zealand film archivist Heperi Mita traces the cinematic legacy of his mother and trailblazing Maori filmmaker Merata Mita.

Added today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Started the Belgian drama Undercover. Very good so far.

Thanks for the mention, finished it last night.

Thought it was good show and definitely worth the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stay well clear of Between Worlds, its absolute drivel.

Nicolas Cage should have been enough of a warning.

Would highly recommend The 12th Man. Brilliant film. Great acting from all involved including Johnathen Rhys Myers. Very convincing as a nazi.

I managed 2 and a bit episodes of the society...I cool premise and I am usually a sucker for a show like this but it just isn't dragging me in at all, acting is quite poor and the characters are paper thin.
    Does it improve?

The Wife
    In Stockholm, a supportive spouse looks back and reconsiders her choices in life as her self-absorbed husband accepts the Nobel Prize in Literature.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished The Society last night and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure I could recommend it. It's bubble-gum television with a few decent characters and a few nice storylines but it's a bit soap-opera and the "how and why" of the situation they find themselves in seems a bit of an after-thought to the drama / politics etc. I'll start a second series if there is one but get a feeling it'll be cancelled before it gets a chance to wrap up that aspect of the story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement