Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Film I always think of when I see The Society
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

Something tells me the series isn't as, um, interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Film I always think of when I see The Society
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

Something tells me the series isn't as, um, interesting

Haha, same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh, right. I thought it was a series based on that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Fate of the Furious
    A ruthless cyberterrorist forces Dom to turn against Letty and the crew, endangering everything they've built. But they won't let him go so easily.

revisions season 1
    When Shibuya time-warps to 2388, high schooler Daisuke and his friends are conscripted by AHRV agent Milo to fight the hostile cyborg race, revisions.

Still LAUGH-IN: The Stars Celebrate
    This celebration of the groundbreaking comedy show "Laugh-In" stars Lily Tomlin, Snoop Dogg, Billy Crystal, Tiffany Haddish, Neil Patrick Harris and more.

Weed the People
    Buoyed by hopeful experiences with medical marijuana, physicians and parents of children with cancer call for more research of its healing potential.

added today

RBG
    By turns heartfelt and playful, this documentary details Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life and landmark work on women's rights

Added today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Black Mirror season 5 trailer. Coming June 5. Only 3 episodes.

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/1128599652817707009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

3 episodes?! Aww man! :(

So Andrew Scott, Miley Cyrus and Anthony Mackie look to be 3 big names across them presumably.

EDIT: Actually, that's Topher Grace at the end too. Pretty unrecognisable!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is that Topher Grace? EDIT: Beaten to it! I agree, he looks very different, it took me a while to recognise him.

That Chambers is pretty good..I'm 5 or 6 episodes in..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I think Black Mirror is shíte. I don't get people's obsession with it at all. I really tried with it too, I got up to the third episode of season 4 before I gave up. I think I only like 2 episodes of all the ones I have seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't feel so strongly about it myself, but definitely bailed back in the Channel 4 era with a "seen one, seen them all" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

As long as we can still pick whats going to happen I think we'll be just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Autecher wrote: »
    I think Black Mirror is shíte. I don't get people's obsession with it at all. I really tried with it too, I got up to the third episode of season 4 before I gave up. I think I only like 2 episodes of all the ones I have seen.

San Junipero and Hang The DJ are two of the best episodes of any TV show i've ever seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

San Junipero and Hang The DJ are two of the best episodes of any TV show i've ever seen...

Inside No.9's The 12 Days of Christine beats both of them for best episode of any TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inside No.9's The 12 Days of Christine beats both of them for best episode of any TV show.

Not particularly funny, but absolutely brilliant television. Not usually a fan of Sheridan Smith but she's superb in that, it's very moving.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I thought San Junipero was boring personally. I haven't seen Hang The DJ as I gave up on it before that. As with my previously expressed here opinion of Kevin Costner (I think he is a bad actor) I expect this opinion to be unpopular too but I'm ok with that.

Possibly another unpopular opinion of mine but I've never watched Inside No.9 because I thought The League Of Gentlemen was so bad I never want to watch anything from any of those guys ever again! :eek:

Possibly another unpopular opinion of mine but I've never watched Inside No.9 because I thought The League Of Gentlemen was so bad I never want to watch anything from any of those guys ever again! :eek:

It's nothing like League of Gentlemen, which I personally liked. It's got more of an updated Tales of the Unexpected vibe. A very mixed bag with some episodes being fairly shíte but some great episodes in there too with The 12 Days of Christine being the highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

How's Coronation Street these days?

tigger123 wrote: »
    How's Coronation Street these days?
    I don't know Tigger I don't watch it.

• Advertisement

Wine country. Rubbish...couldn’t even finish it to the end at thats saying something with the amount of drivel I watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wine country. Rubbish...couldn’t even finish it to the end at thats saying something with the amount of drivel I watch

Yeah the missus had it on for around 10 minutes last night and promptly turned it off. From what I saw it was dreadful absolute dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lord of The Rings: Fellowhip of the Ring

Wow, i mean i've seen it multiple times before but just after watching it again after 6/7 years.
    Its aged very well imo for a film of that genre out in 2001.
    Some seriously epic epic moments.
    The music in this film is superb and must be watched as loud as your allowed.
    Had goosebumps in a few scenes, even though i remember some of the lines, ive seen it that many times.
    Its absolutely class with some brilliant prime actors.

Looking forward to trying to grab the rest of the trilodgy but i remember the first as being my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Lord of The Rings: Fellowhip of the Ring

Wow, i mean i've seen it multiple times before but just after watching it again after 6/7 years.
    Its aged very well imo for a film of that genre out in 2001.
    Some seriously epic epic moments.
    The music in this film is superb and must be watched as loud as your allowed.
    Had goosebumps in a few scenes, even though i remember some of the lines, ive seen it that many times.
    Its absolutely class with some brilliant prime actors.

Looking forward to trying to grab the rest of the trilodgy but i remember the first as being my favourite.

May it be the Enya song is beautiful. The soundtrack is amazing.

I got a brilliant bargain a few years ago in Lidl, all 3 lord of the rings and all the hobbit film boxset for €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought San Junipero was boring personally. I haven't seen Hang The DJ as I gave up on it before that. As with my previously expressed here opinion of Kevin Costner (I think he is a bad actor) I expect this opinion to be unpopular too but I'm ok with that.

White Bear. That is all.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Shaun of the dead
    The eagle
    Spartacus
    Jane Eyre
    Good Sam
    The boat that rocked
    Step up ( and sequels )
    Casper
    Evan almighty
    Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

White Bear. That is all.
    Shut up and Dance stands out as the highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

peteeeed wrote: »
    Shaun of the dead
    The eagle
    Spartacus
    Jane Eyre
    Good Sam
    The boat that rocked
    Step up ( and sequels )
    Casper
    Evan almighty
    Added today

The Eagle is a good shout shout actually.
    Just a solid well done Roman movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

White Bear. That is all.

Funny that was the episode that had the opposite effect for me, making me realise this show wasn't to my tastes: the conclusion feeling like a warmed-up Twilight Zone episode with pretty superficial "evils of technology" drum Black Mirror can't stop banging.

pixelburp wrote: »
    pretty superficial "evils of technology" drum Black Mirror can't stop banging.

That is literally the whole point of the series. Black Mirrors were polished obsidian glass first used by Aztecs to make prophesies of the future and Brooker himself said the inspiration for the title came from seeing ourselves reflected in the screens of our technology when they are turned off.
    "What I took it to mean was when a screen is off – when a screen is off it looks like a black mirror.

"Because any TV, any LCD, any iPhone, any iPad – something like that – if you just stare at it, it looks like a black mirror, and there’s something cold and horrifying about that, and it was such a fitting title for the show.

"I mean, I don’t know what else we would’ve called it – Spooky Technology Time?! It would’ve been rubbish", he added. "I quite like the fact that people are watching it on their TV or on their laptop, or their smartphone or whatever, and then as the end credits start running and the screen cuts to black, they see themselves reflected."

• Advertisement

That is literally the whole point of the series. Black Mirrors were polished obsidian glass first used by Aztecs to make prophesies of the future and Brooker himself said the inspiration for the title came from seeing ourselves reflected in the screens of our technology when they are turned off.

I know this, and like I said is simply not to my taste: I managed a few episodes before peacing out for the repetition. Seeing the same story told dozens of times isn't my speed. TBH this isn't just Black Mirror, I'm a bit worn out with dystopia at this stage, and the constant wallowing & nihilism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tech = evil is a common but highly simplistic reading of Black Mirror. Most episodes are about how people aren't mature enough to deal with technology or how a corrupt society will use powerful technologies in corrupt ways or what happens when technology goes wrong. The idea that it's just saying tech is evil over and over again is just false. It's far more about human failings (and yes, how tech can exasperate them) than technological ones. If there's a central message of the show it's probably that we should be wary of technological utopianism. That's not the same thing as saying tech is evil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watched Hang The DJ last night after reading this thread yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Had watched episodes randomly for a while but missed that one. This and San Junipero are fantastic and fairly upbeat compared to other episodes.

Back on board with BM now after a break, and looking forward to the new season.

Tech = evil is a common but highly simplistic reading of Black Mirror. Most episodes are about how people aren't mature enough to deal with technology or how a corrupt society will use powerful technologies in corrupt ways or what happens when technology goes wrong. The idea that it's just saying tech is evil over and over again is just false. It's far more about human failings (and yes, how tech can exasperate them) than technological ones. If there's a central message of the show it's probably that we should be wary of technological utopianism. That's not the same thing as saying tech is evil.

Indeed, but typing "I got tired of Black Mirror because of its loop of how technology can hold a mirror to our worst failings, and potentially corrupt otherwise innocent instincts" takes longer than "tech === evil". It's not that complex a show to understand, just in case people are floating towards a "you just don't 'get' it man" conclusion ;):)

This is a purely personal thing, and like I said not isolated to Black Mirror: there's a point where a lot of media I was consuming was nihilistic, wallowing tales of dystopia or human failing, and it actually left me with a resting feeling of misery, if not depression.

This is a purely personal thing, and like I said not isolated to Black Mirror: there's a point where a lot of media I was consuming was nihilistic, wallowing tales of dystopia or human failing, and it actually left me with a resting feeling of misery, if not depression.

And I totally understand why Black Mirror might not appeal to everyone for this reason. I share it, though more toward apocalypticism than stories about very real human failings and social anxieties, especially when (as in the best Black Mirror episodes) there's a sense of catharsis. But it's also why I think it is dystopia done really well. As opposed to something like The Handmaid's Tale which I think is utter sh*t and more about pandering to the audience's twisted fantasies than their anxieties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I just finished a show that has been out for a few months, so apologies if it has already been discussed before. It was the "Haunting of hill House"

For me it was the most enjoyable series I have watched in a long long time. Not for the "scary bits"which were probably too lame for horror fans, but the way the story was told was fantastic. The same timeline was shown but from different characters perspectives which was great.

Some of the episodes especially episode 6 (The one where the family gather at the funeral home) were just brilliant storytelling, acting, directing..

Some people might say they are not horror fans so will give it a miss, but for me you are missing out on a great TV show. My opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

joe40 wrote: »
    I just finished a show that has been out for a few months, so apologies if it has already been discussed before. It was the "Haunting of hill House"

For me it was the most enjoyable series I have watched in a long long time. Not for the "scary bits"which were probably too lame for horror fans, but the way the story was told was fantastic. The same timeline was shown but from different characters perspectives which was great.

Some of the episodes especially episode 6 (The one where the family gather at the funeral home) were just brilliant storytelling, acting, directing..

Some people might say they are not horror fans so will give it a miss, but for me you are missing out on a great TV show. My opinion anyway.

What are ya talking about, the scary bits were terrifying!!! :eek:
    But yea, good shout. It was a great show, looking forward to season 2. New Story with same cast I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What are ya talking about, the scary bits were terrifying!!! :eek:
    But yea, good shout. It was a great show, looking forward to season 2. New Story with same cast I think.

I think that isn't due until 2020 though?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I think that isn't due until 2020 though?

Jesus, is there really going to be a second season? That sounds like a terrible idea... Loved the first season for episodes 1-9 but episode 10 was pretty naff and disappointing. Overall though it was a great show. It should just be left where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Jesus, is there really going to be a second season? That sounds like a terrible idea... Loved the first season for episodes 1-9 but episode 10 was pretty naff and disappointing. Overall though it was a great show. It should just be left where it is.

The Haunting of ... is going to be an anthology series. Season 2 is The Haunting of Bly Manor - new story with no connection to season 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Funny that was the episode that had the opposite effect for me, making me realise this show wasn't to my tastes: the conclusion feeling like a warmed-up Twilight Zone episode with pretty superficial "evils of technology" drum Black Mirror can't stop banging.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the show hideously overrated. I like Brooker and all, and I agree with an awful lot of what he says and how he views things.

But 'Black Mirror' is more of a miss than a hit with me. Way more.

The haunting of hill House was nothing like the book.. glad it's going to be an anthology series though, and not a continuation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new season of Letterman drops May 31st

Guests....Kanye West, Ellen Degeneres, Tiffany Haddish, Lewis Hamilton and Melinda Gates

1994: Limited Series
    1994 is an hour-long 5 episode investigative documentary series that will tell the story of one of the most critical years in Mexico’s history.

Morir para contar
    Seeking answers after a life-changing incident in 2012, filmmaker Hernán Zin interviews other war reporters about the personal toll of their work.

Born in Gaza
    This documentary focuses on the devastating violence of the Israel-Palestine conflict and its effects on the children of Gaza

Born in Syria
    This intimate documentary follows a group of Syrian children refugees who narrowly escape a life of torment and integrate into a foreign land.

Astral
    To connect with his deceased mother, a gifted loner taps into the supernatural realm and realizes crossing over has its consequences.

Maria
    A woman whose parents were killed by the gang when she was a child grows up to be a hired assassin. Unfortunately, trying to leave that past behind is proving to be more difficult than it seems.

See You Yesterday
    Two Brooklyn teenage prodigies, C.J. Walker and Sebastian Thomas, build makeshift time machines to save C.J.’s brother, Calvin, from being wrongfully killed by a police officer.

The Rain: Season 2
    Trapped in the Zone, Simone and her friends must find a cure for the virus Rasmus is carrying before it kills him — and the rest of humanity.

Chip and Potato
    Chip is a little pug going through life’s firsts with the encouragement of her secret mouse-friend, Potato.

It’s Bruno season 1
    A digital series that follows a man and his beloved dog Bruno strolling around his neighborhood

Nailed It!: Season 3
    Nicole and Jacques are back to judge the chaos in the kitchen, from half-baked doll cakes to delightfully creepy edible clowns.

Well Intended Love
    A third-rate actress with leukemia becomes entangled with CEO Ling because she needs him for treatment. In order to receive bone marrow transplant sooner and to continue her career as an actress, Xia Lin enters into a secret marriage with Ling Yi Zhou, the CEO of a company. Despite the conspiracies and misunderstandings they encounter, the two find true love.

ReMastered: The Lion's Share
    After discovering the family of Solomon Linda, the writer of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," a reporter tries to help them fight for fair compensation.

Dying to Tell
    Seeking answers after a life-changing incident in 2012, filmmaker Hernon Zin interviews other war reporters about the personal toll of their work.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Enjoyed the Rain s1, hopefully s2 is as good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

peteeeed wrote: »
    1994: Limited Series
    1994 is an hour-long 5 episode investigative documentary series that will tell the story of one of the most critical years in Mexico’s history.

1516 was a much more critical year ;) 1521 fairly life changing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I tried Black Mirror but it just didn't pull me in. I could see what they were trying to do but I just found it forced and all a bit too much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sweetie wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Rain s1, hopefully s2 is as good

I really enjoyed it until the last end scene of S1 which really just sucked the intrigue, mystery and suspence out of the whole thing for me and turned it into another
    evil corporation wants to rule the world cliche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'm 5 minutes into See You Yesterday and I'm giving it'd 10 oot of 10 just for Michael J Fox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm 5 minutes into See You Yesterday and I'm giving it'd 10 oot of 10 just for Michael J Fox.

We sat down to watch this as a family and thought it was good. But the ending has to be one of the worst ever - WTF! :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement