Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

It Comes at Night
    As danger stalks the world outside his isolated home, an overprotective father faces a tough decision when another family shows up seeking help.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Never really felt the love for Baby Driver. Very overrated, and I never really gave a fiddlers about the main character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tigger123 wrote: »
    Never really felt the love for Baby Driver. Very overrated, and I never really gave a fiddlers about the main character.

Falls apart completely in the last third but I enjoyed it for what it is. Fantastic soundtrack though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watch season 1 of line of duty.
    The first 3 episodes were exceptional tho the final 2 dropped off a bit.
    Still excellent tho and looking forward to continuing with season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I agree. It sort of went off the deep end in order to ratchet up the tension.

Still enjoyed it as you say and will continue watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. It sort of went off the deep end in order to ratchet up the tension.

absolutely loving that show. On s3 after starting last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Watch season 1 of line of duty.
    The first 3 episodes were exceptional tho the final 2 dropped off a bit.
    Still excellent tho and looking forward to continuing with season 2.

I started watching it too , after Kai Mango Transition and Wyrn recommended it to me !
    It's good , am enjoying it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Earthhorse wrote: »

If you think season 1 went off the deep end you ain't seen nothing yet. While I enjoy it, the plots become more and more ludicrous season by season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you think season 1 went off the deep end you ain't seen nothing yet. While I enjoy it, the plots become more and more ludicrous season by season.

Still compelling viewing though.

• Advertisement

Jessica Jones season 3 June 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I started watching it too , after Kai Mango Transition and Wyrn recommended it to me !
    It's good , am enjoying it .

Just finished it..loved season 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

:D

It's cool. Seems to be the way with most TV these days. As long as it's well acted and scripted I'm happy to enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

+1 for whoever recommended 12th Man - a great watch and I wouldn't be into War movies really but this got me !

Dublin Oldschool will be on netflix from this saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

peteeeed wrote: »
    Dublin Oldschool will be on netflix from this saturday

Good stuff, I meant to see that when it was showing in the cinema.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1133704749981818881?s=20
    6. The Society
    7. The Mummy
    8. Storks
    9. Dynasty
    10. Fate of the Furious

And the most-watched ~series~ in the UK this week... ��

1. Dead to Me
    2. Jane The Virgin
    3. WHAT / IF
    4. The Society
    5. Dynasty
    6. Lucifer
    7. Riverdale
    8. The Rain
    9. Line of Duty
    10. iZombie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

inforfun wrote: »
    This weekend i have been watching Whitechapel mostly.

First 2 seasons are 3 episodes\1 case each. Last 2 6 episodes, 3 cases.

Enjoying it.

Isn't it a hoot!
    The plots are preposterous but the characters make it believable. Plus Steve Pemberton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

jluv wrote: »
    Just finished it..loved season 3!

Am on Ep3 of Season 3 !

August 30th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it in the TV thread and say it here, it looks spectacular, a really lush marriage of puppets and CGI.

Though all those Henson puppets make me miss Farscape :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast)
    What if a teenager built up a drugs empire from his bedroom in Leipzig? Inspired by real events.

Bad Blood: Season 2
    Five years after the death of mob boss, there’s a new king of the Montreal drug trade — until a new breed of mafiosos arrive from Italy to wrestle the city from his grasp.

Good Girls: Season 2
    In their second season, the women come face-to-face with the consequences of their criminal behavior.

Black Spot: Season 1
    Villefranche is a small town with no phone reception on the edge of a mysterious forest. The number of inhabitants is dwindling but there's a sharp rise in crime. Police inspector Laurène, once the victim of a crime herself, keeps on discovering fresh corpses.

When They See Us
    A four part limited series from director Ava Duverney that continues themes from her documentary THE 13th, her exploration of the criminal justice system through the true case of the Central Park Five – 5 young teenagers who were wrongfully accused and convicted of rape.

Killer Ratings
    The true-life story of a Brazilian TV host who literally killed for ratings — and used his crime TV show to cover up the grizzly truth.

Always Be My Maybe
    Everyone assumed Sasha and Marcus would wind up together except for Sasha and Marcus. Reconnecting after 15 years, the two start to wonder… maybe?

Chopsticks
    A gifted but insecure woman embarks on a transformative journey when she enlists an enigmatic con man to recover her stolen car from an eccentric thug.

Leap Year

Pegasus
    After a five-year suspension, a once-legendary race car driver decides to get back in the game against a new generation of opponents.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Looking forward to starting When They See Us tonight. Only watched the Central Park Five documentary recently, would recommend it before watching the mini series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix to raise prices for UK subscribers by up to 20%

Streaming firm says increases will let it spend more on shows as it looks to see off Disney+
    Netflix is to raise prices for UK subscribers by up to 20% as it looks to invest more in programmes ahead of the arrival of deep-pocketed rival Disney’s eagerly anticipated service later this year.

The streaming company, which has not raised prices in the UK since 2017, is increasing the cost of a standard plan by £1 to £8.99 and premium by £2 to £11.99. The price of a basic plan remains unchanged at £5.99.

The basic plan allows viewing on a single device and only in standard definition. The standard subscription, which the vast majority of Netflix subscribers take, allows the use of two devices at the same time and high-definition viewing. A premium subscription permits viewing on up to four devices at a time, with the option of ultra-high definition.

The company, which has 10 million UK subscribers, said new customers will pay the higher rates immediately, while the increases will be implemented for existing users “over the coming weeks”.

Netflix has already raised prices in the US, as well as a number of markets in Latin America and the Caribbean that also use US dollars, with increases across western Europe also expected.

The company is looking to drive revenues from its customers, which number more than 150 million globally, as the company seeks to continue to fund its $15bn (£12bn) content budget and try to keep a cap on long-term costs and debt totalling about $30bn.

The price rises come ahead of the launch of Disney+ in the US later this year. At $6.99 a month, it will be about half the price of Netflix in the US, and will offer content including Star Wars, the Marvel superhero universe, films from the animation studio Pixar and movies such as Frozen and Beauty and the Beast.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/30/netflix-to-raise-prices-for-uk-subscribers?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3TxyrZQRXJuGCYXieT9ai8sMEiwWhTJU2XTM7a5wx4zOdtVBKrHEsGgHg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Raise prices so people won't be able to afford two streaming services. Clever girl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, we had been playing with the idea of unsubbing from Amazon once we got through Parks and Rec so that confirms that idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Drumpot wrote: »
    I second that, really good movie, can’t believe anybody could live through those conditions!

The whole way through the movie I was thinking “that guys looks so like John Rhys Meyers” but presumed cause of the language it was some Norwegian lad.

he got into terrible situations all i could think was how the hell will he get out of this one and every time he did. loved the Reindeers running to the border at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sugarman wrote: »
    their content remains largely unchanged

But it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It’s really getting a joke now at this stage, they are increasing the price every year.

My next guest with David letterman - Kanye West

The Guilty
    A police officer, demoted to dispatch duty, is consumed by a call from an abducted woman desperate to be saved

Bad Teacher
    Horrible Bosses
    Departures ( Maisie Williams )
    Little Fockers
    Snatch
    A Royal Affair
    Mystic Pizza
    Transformers: The Last Knight
    What a Girl Wants
    Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
    The Guilty
    Jumanji ( original )
    Mountain
    Featuring breathtaking imagery and thought-provoking narration, this film takes viewers to the summits of some of the world's most amazing mountains.

Speed kills
    In the 1980s, a mobbed-up motorboat racer helps move millions of dollars' worth of drugs into Miami before drawing the ire of the DEA and the Mafia.

Added today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Guilty’s well worth a watch. Have some issues with the direction the story goes and it’s all a bit contrived in the end. But it’s a well-crafted and tense ‘one location’ movie with a very strong central performance. Doesn’t shy away from the bleaker side of the tale it’s telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looking forward to starting When They See Us tonight. Only watched the Central Park Five documentary recently, would recommend it before watching the mini series.

Just finished it this morning. Found it excellent. I did not know the story beforehand however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Is Dublin Oldschool up? Can’t seem to find it on app on tv anyway

Was supposed to go up yesterday , hasn't appeared yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

fin12 wrote: »
    It’s really getting a joke now at this stage, they are increasing the price every year.

Still ridiculously cheap though. What is it now? €11 per mth for unlimited TV? Figure out your per hour cost and compare with the per hour cost of other entertainment activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is somebody forcing you to pay it?

Is somebody forcing you to pay it?

No but I want to keep Netflix so will be forced to pay the increase doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

No but I want to keep Netflix so will be forced to pay the increase doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.

None of the TV services are good value, that includes streaming, cable & satellite providers. They all know people will pay over the odds for it for varying reasons including being able to tell their neighbours they have Sky :D

Smart people are happily enjoying everything they want to watch at way less cost.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Kind of like everything , sky , cinema tickets

• Advertisement

None of the TV services are good value, that includes streaming, cable & satellite providers. They all know people will pay over the odds for it for varying reasons including being able to tell their neighbours they have Sky :D

Smart people are happily enjoying everything they want to watch at way less cost.

But I always thought Netflix was marketed as like an alternative to these expensive tv channels wasn’t it?

I don’t have sky. Think it’s actually pretty crap, my parents have it but I think free to air channels are much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

But I always thought Netflix was marketed as like an alternative to these expensive tv channels wasn’t it?

I don’t have sky. Think it’s actually pretty crap, my parents have it but I think free to air channels are much better.

Yes it was marketed to suggest that originally but look at how many increases there have been in recent times. I don't think any of them offer good bang for buck anymore.

But that is my opinion, others might be happy to pay it.

A lot of people have smart TV's and a lot of smart people have all the TV they could ever watch. :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They all know people will pay over the odds for it for varying reasons including being able to tell their neighbours they have Sky :D

It is not over the odds if people are willing to pay it. A good business model will price their product at as expensive a rate as possible until a further increase in price results in a reduction of profit. Netflix obviously feel there is still scope here for further increases without a drop in profit. looking at their stock price over the years it would seem the markets agree.
    If a material amount of people cancelled their subs as a result of a price increase then they would be less inclined to increase them again in future but as I said they are ridiculously cheap when compared with other forms of entertainment.

Like if you only watched an hour of TV every day them=n the per hour cost of netflix is for pennies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my complete ignorance here but are Irish prices going up? It's just I didn't get any notification about it yet?

:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a Dublin Oldschool delay apparently, for those curious. Oh, and I would recommend it whenever it does eventually go up - ‘tis a fine little film, and not just because it’s Irish ;)

https://twitter.com/emmetkirwan/status/1135189468263133185?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spider-Man: Homecoming drops tomorrow that will do for the Bank Holiday Monday hangover cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched Rim of the World this evening, was not good but kind of entertaining and had a few laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Has anyone watched any episodes of Killer Ratings yet? If so, what's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Just finished watching "Undercover"

Magnificent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone who thinks Netflix is expensive is from a generation that never bought a newspaper, a magazine, or paid £5 (plus inevitable £3 late fee) to rent a movie from Xtravision.

I took my family to the cinema today to see The Secret Life of Pets 2. The tickets alone cost €36.

The Netflix monthly is peanuts for the variety of stuff they offer a household.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Just watched Dirty John there. Very overrated - dunno what the fuss was about. Can't fathom why it was worthy of a documentary? All I was thinking was why were those women so gullible ? Watching Stewart Lee now...not my cuppa either
    Off to bed . !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement