Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Designated Survivor: 60 days
    follows the main storyline of the original US series, but has been adapted to feature more of the Korean reality. It is a story of a politician, who suddenly ascends from the position of Minister of Environment to President, as an explosion at the National Assembly kills everyone in the Cabinet who is ahead of him in terms of the presidential succession. Park Mu-jin is a scientist-turned-politician who struggles to fit in politics. Park is the acting president for 60 days, and during this period, albeit inexperienced and unwilling, he tries to uncover the truth behind the attack.

The Dark Crystal

The Hunger Games
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
    Bridesmaids

Zero Dark Thirty

Katherine Ryan: Glitter Room
    Ryan‘s 2018 UK tour show comes to Netflix for an hour-long special after an unprecedented four-week run at London’s Garrick Theatre in the West End. Filmed in December 2018 in Los Angeles, Glitter Room is a follow-up to her 2017 Netflix stand-up special, Katherine Ryan: In Trouble.

Doomsday

Elizabeth: The Golden Age
    Native
    Two aliens head to Earth to eradicate the population, but when they lose their psychic connection to home, they begin to question the mission.

NOVA: Black Hole Apocalypse
    Astrophysicists show how black holes might hold answers to how the universe evolved, leading to life on Earth and, ultimately, the human race.

NOVA: Death Dive to Saturn
    After decades of amazing discoveries, spacecraft Cassini embarks on its final -- and most daring -- mission: a dive below Saturn's rings.

NOVA: Decoding the Weather Machine
    Scientists investigate Earth's climate machine, looking for clues across the globe, from Greenland's ice sheet to the desert of Australia.

NOVA: Poisoned Water
    This documentary details how the water disaster in Flint, Michigan happened, its lasting effects, and the lengthy efforts it took to correct it.

Nova: Ultimate Mars Challenge
    With access to the scientists and engineers responsible for the Curiosity rover's on-the-ground experiments, NOVA captures its landing on Mars.

The Order (Jean-Claude Van Damme)

War Against Women
    Filmed over three years in 10 countries, this documentary gives voice to the women who have become victims of sexual violence as weapons of war.

Are You Human: Season 1
    Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me: Season 1

Descendants of the Sun: Season 1
    Designated Survivor: 60 Days: Season 1
    Doomsday
    Elizabeth Harvest
    Fight for My Way: Season 1
    Final Destination 5
    Flowering Heart: Season 1
    Good Manager: Season 1
    Hit The Top: Season 1
    Hook
    It’s Complicated
    Katherine Ryan: Glitter Room
    Molang: Season 1
    My Golden Life: Season 1
    Native
    Pororo – The Little Penguin: Season 5
    Queen for Seven Days: Season 1
    Radio Romance: Season 1
    Samurai 7: Season 1
    School 2017: Season 1
    School Dance
    Stone Age: Season 1
    Swiped
    Tayo the Little Bus Movie: Mission Ace
    Tayo the Little Bus: Season 2
    The Accountant of Auschwitz
    The Adjustment Bureau
    The Campaign

The Taking of Pelham 123
    The Wolfman
    This Christmas
    Titipo Titipo: Season 1

added today

https://twitter.com/NewOnNetflixUK/status/1145651352724545537?s=20

How high
    Couples Retreat
    In Bruges
    The Pursuit of Happyness
    Red Dawn (2012)
    Jackass 3
    White House Down
    Mama
    Miss You Already

Also added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Firefly itself on the service? Feels a bit pointless to have the "sequel" film and not the precursor series if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

stranger things season 3 early reviews....VERY promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Pursuit of Happyness is one of my favourite films ever. Never, ever, give up! :)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is Firefly itself on the service? Feels a bit pointless to have the "sequel" film and not the precursor series if not.
    I never watched tv show, I enjoyed the film so I dont think its a must

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

gmisk wrote: »

Same, I watched the film without having seen the series and loved it. It jumped into my favourite films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's not a must. The series felt fresh at the time, great fun. A lot of series have borrowed from its tone and conceits, so it may suffer from a feeling of being old hat at this stage. It was great fun though. It's worth watching the first one or two to see what a gem it was, and if it still has the charm it had way back when.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

stranger things season 3 early reviews....VERY promising!

Looking back, season 2 was a bit of a let down after season 1. Season 3 won't have to try that hard to top it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh. After S2, I'm done with Stranger Things. For me it's going to be a one series show. Though S2 was pretty poor.

fresh prince of bel air (6 seasons )
    District 9

added yesterday also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I must be one of the few who thought Season 2 was better. More brisk, less faffing about.

It's not a great show overall though, definitely way overhyped (like everything these days :D).

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I must be one of the few who thought Season 2 was better. More brisk, less faffing about.

It's not a great show overall though, definitely way overhyped (like everything these days :D).

nope , ive stayed in the background during this debate , i loved 1&2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Less faffing? Season 2 literally halted its story to spend a whole episodes on a backdoor pilot featuring some really terrible "80s goth-punk kids" characters. :) The pacing of Season 2 was terrible IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The goth punk kids weren't as terrible as everyone makes out (but yes, not a great storyline) but nevertheless Season 2 got to the action a lot faster than Season 1 which was more of a slow (too slow) build.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The goth punk kids weren't as terrible as everyone makes out (but yes, not a great storyline) but nevertheless Season 2 got to the action a lot faster than Season 1 which was more of a slow (too slow) build.

As a stand alone episode in a different show/season maybe it was fine but in terms of season 2 itself it was straight up bad story telling to have a segway like that. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed season 2 a lot despite it and didn't think it was far off the quality of 1.

It's actually something I've noticed in a few Netflix shows that they will have a random flashback/side track episode right when everything is coming to a head. Daredevil season 3 did too and it was even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Inside Number 9 is brilliant.
    It's not Sci-Fi but if you like Black Mirror you'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Inside Number 9 is brilliant.
    It's not Sci-Fi but if you like Black Mirror you'll love it.

Only watched the first episode but thought it was absolute crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Shaft was absolutely awful muck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

anybody watch The Wandering Earth. Any comments before I spend two hours on it this Friday.

Reviews are mixed but some of it might be general upset that it’s not a US sci fi movie.

Inside no 9 is a bit uneven but the good ones are very good IMO.
    "A quiet night in" and "the 12 days of christine" are probably among my favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

12 Days of Christine is probably the best episode I've ever seen in any anthology series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The first episode, "Sardines", is a good introduction to the type of humour in the show, but not a good barometer for the variety of tones it hits - it varies this a lot, with some episodes being extremely well-crafted and dark horror.

If you want to get a sense for the full spectrum of the show, I would say watch the second ("A Quiet Night In") and sixth ("The Harrowing") episodes of the first series, and the second episode ("The 12 Days Of Christine") of the second series. Between them you get (IMO) three great episodes, as well aa a sense of the show's tonal range.

Fans of horror film history should also take a look at "The Devil Of Christmas", the first episode of the third series. I shan't say more as it's an episode best enjoyed by going in blind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

anybody watch The Wandering Earth. Any comments before I spend two hours on it this Friday.

Reviews are mixed but some of it might be general upset that it’s not a US sci fi movie.

It's visually spectacular but dumb as a big box of rocks. Think Roland Emmerich. Great fun if that's what you're expecting, but it's in no way even attempting to be hard sci-fi or anything like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Fysh wrote: »
    The first episode, "Sardines", is a good introduction to the type of humour in the show, but not a good barometer for the variety of tones it hits - it varies this a lot, with some episodes being extremely well-crafted and dark horror.

If you want to get a sense for the full spectrum of the show, I would say watch the second ("A Quiet Night In") and sixth ("The Harrowing") episodes of the first series, and the second episode ("The 12 Days Of Christine") of the second series. Between them you get (IMO) three great episodes, as well aa a sense of the show's tonal range.

Fans of horror film history should also take a look at "The Devil Of Christmas", the first episode of the third series. I shan't say more as it's an episode best enjoyed by going in blind.

The Devil of Christmas is particularly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Inside no 9 is a bit uneven but the good ones are very good IMO.
    "A quiet night in" and "the 12 days of christine" are probably among my favorites.

Is it like Black Mirror in that you don't have to watch them in order?

Is it like Black Mirror in that you don't have to watch them in order?

Yeah, it's an anthology series with no connection between the stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

The Pursuit of Happyness is one of my favourite films ever. Never, ever, give up! :)

Mine too

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    Mine too

i hated it but each to their own

stranger things season 3 is up tomorrow at 8am

peteeeed wrote: »
    stranger things season 3 is up tomorrow at 8am

One-line posts from binger watchers to appear in the series thread around ... what? 8 episodes, 50 minutes each... 3, 4pm? :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    One-line posts from binger watchers to appear in the series thread around ... what? 8 episodes, 50 minutes each... 3, 4pm? :D

i always unfollow for a couple of days when a new series appears

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fysh wrote: »
    It's visually spectacular but dumb as a big box of rocks. Think Roland Emmerich. Great fun if that's what you're expecting, but it's in no way even attempting to be hard sci-fi or anything like it.
    Re The Wandering Earth: This! ^^

I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

fresh prince of bel air (6 seasons )
    District 9

added yesterday also
    Wasn't the fresh prince up there all ready ? I mean clearly not but I could have sworn it was up there.

Anyway there's a new show added called the last czars which follows the last czar of Russia Nicholas the second. I've not watched it yet but a quick glance at imdb for a review seems to say that it's doing the talking heads mixed with actors which I don't like. Either pick one way or the other. I mean imagine if they had made the crown like that with clare foy and Matt smith doing what they did very well with historians cutting in and explaining things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wasn't the fresh prince up there all ready ? I mean clearly not but I could have sworn it was up there.

Anyway there's a new show added called the last czars which follows the last czar of Russia Nicholas the second. I've not watched it yet but a quick glance at imdb for a review seems to say that it's doing the talking heads mixed with actors which I don't like. Either pick one way or the other. I mean imagine if they had made the crown like that with clare foy and Matt smith doing what they did very well with historians cutting in and explaining things.

Maybe go and watch it before you criticise it? FFS

I'm sure it's well made but I don't like this way of doing things. Pick one and do that well. Have you watched it seeing as how you're telling me to watch it ? Is it good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm sure it's well made but I don't like this way of doing things. Pick one and do that well. Have you watched it seeing as how you're telling me to watch it ? Is it good ?

How are you sure it's well made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Have you?

How are you sure it's well made?
    Well it's a Netflix original series so visually and everything else isn't it a given it will look well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ramble on.....chit chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Instant Hotel is excellent light hearted viewing. Very enjoyable

Stranger Things season 3

Atomic Blonde

Girl Trip

Kakegurui season 2

added today

Stranger Things season 3

Atomic Blonde

Girl Trip

Kakegurui season 2

added today
    Atomic blonde is A LOT of fun!

Stranger things eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Lisha wrote: »
    Instant Hotel is excellent light hearted viewing. Very enjoyable

Did you watch the first series of it ?
    Very good too :)

Mam of 4 wrote: »

A little vom made its way up the throat when that flatulent, Oscar Wilde wannabe Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen appeared on the screen for the second series. Thankfully, he was easy enough to ignore.

God, that lad is a glass and a half of monkey-tit milk...

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Yes just finished the first series. I have to say I preferred the first set of contestants over the 2nd but I loved it.

The views alone are stunning

Will watch second series now..

A little vom made its way up the throat when that flatulent, Oscar Wilde wannabe Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen appeared on the screen for the second series. Thankfully, he was easy enough to ignore.

Oh God I do hope he’s easy to ignore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stranger Things S3 is up
    Gonna binge that this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

As opposed to cow-tit milk or sheep/goat-tit milk which we are mostly all happy to drink?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement