Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Taiga wrote: »
    Is it worth watching the last season of OITNB before the current one? I gave up on it but wouldn't mind getting back into it as the reviews of the new one are better.

There is a 5 minute recap of whole series at starts of this season
    Just watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Nice one km, that'll save me wasting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Anyone tempted to start Typewriter after that article about people being unable to sleep after it, don't bother. There isn't one genuinely scary moment in the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

some good movies in that list
    LEGO Friends: Girls on a Mission: Season 2
    Roxanne
    Valkyrie

Ex Machina
    City Slickers
    Mars Attacks!
    Midnight Cowboy
    Pineapple Express
    100% Hotter season 1
    A stylist, a hair designer and a makeup artist team up to give Britain's biggest fashion disasters some much-needed makeunders.

Annie (remake)

The Chefs' Line season 1
    Home cooks face off against trained chefs to see if passion can beat profession in the kitchen in this reality competition show.

Regiment Diaries season 1
    Historical footage and interviews with soldiers showcase war stories, unique traditions and unifying principles of the Indian Army's various regiments.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Taiga wrote: »
    Is it worth watching the last season of OITNB before the current one? I gave up on it but wouldn't mind getting back into it as the reviews of the new one are better.

Now do as you please, but from my experience, I watched the first 2 seasons of OITNB and enjoyed them. For whatever reason I just didn't get back to it. Then last year I watched season 6 and really enjoyed it. Then decided to watch season 5, of which season 6 was dealing with the consequences of. Then after enjoying that season, I watched 3 and 4.

tl;dr... You don't need to watch previous seasons but there enjoyable. If you can I recommend going back and re-watching them anyway. In sequential order if possible. It one of the better tv shows currently broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    Mars Attacks!
    Wow love this will defo watch!

Now do as you please, but from my experience, I watched the first 2 seasons of OITNB and enjoyed them. For whatever reason I just didn't get back to it. Then last year I watched season 6 and really enjoyed it. Then decided to watch season 5, of which season 6 was dealing with the consequences of. Then after enjoying that season, I watched 3 and 4.

tl;dr... You don't need to watch previous seasons but there enjoyable. If you can I recommend going back and re-watching them anyway. In sequential order if possible. It one of the better tv shows currently broadcasting.
    Halfway through new season
    It’s excellent and pretty emotional!
    I won’t say anymore in case I spoil it

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

km79 wrote: »

Same as, half way through season 7 too. Really enjoying it, a bit sad that when its over there'll be no more seasons.
    I suppose at 7 seasons it had a good long run without getting stale/repetative or having to rejig the premise to the point where its a different tv show.

Ask the StoryBots season 3
    Five inquisitive little creatures track down the answers to kids' biggest questions, like how night happens or why we need to brush our teeth.

Basketball or Nothing season 1
    Follow the Chinle High basketball team in Arizona's Navajo Nation on a quest to win a state championship and bring pride to their isolated community.

Creed

Dear White People Season 3
    Students of color navigate the daily slights and slippery politics of life at an Ivy League college that's not nearly as "post-racial" as it thinks.

Don't Knock Twice

Léa & I
    Best friends L�a and Camille explore the notion of healing while traveling to Latin America in search of a cure for a terminal disease.

Otherhood
    Feeling forgotten on Mother's Day, three best friends leave the suburbs and drive to New York City to surprise their adult sons.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 3

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Myself and the Mrs are 3 episodes in,

jaysus, its a lot more grim than previous seasons, very little in the way of levity.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no idea what that is, and I'd have considered myself fairly Netflix savvy! :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Money Heist season 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ahhhhhhhhh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To be fair, Netflix are pushing that show hard and making it the featured show when everyone logs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    To be fair, Netflix are pushing that show hard and making it the featured show when everyone logs in.

Is it any good?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Its not the worst show ever though, Its trying so hard to be cool, that its kinda hard to not just go with it. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons, haven't watched the new one yet despite being shoved in my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Everything these days seems to be season 3 , season 4 ,season 7 ! Etc, gets fairly boring I think. Ruin a lot of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Derry girls 2 is supposed to be out today, but it's not there does anyone know when it will be released?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Derry girls 2 is supposed to be out today, but it's not there does anyone know when it will be released?

It's on All4 in the UK and Ireland. Wont be on Netflix for a while.

Anyone watched Basketball or Nothing ?
    I’ll prob give it a go over weekend

I AM A KILLER
    Death row inmates convicted of capital murder give a firsthand account of their crimes in this documentary

Misfit
    After living in America for years, a teenage girl moves back to the Netherlands and is quickly singled out as a misfit by the popular clique at school

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone watched Basketball or Nothing ?
    I’ll prob give it a go over weekend

On the second episode. It's fairly meh, easy watching but it's no Last Chance U

No One Will Ever Know (Nadie sabrá nunca)
    A mother and young son escape into their own imaginations to ignore the reality of their lives in rural Mexico

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fatal Affair

One woman’s ordeal to overcome the death of her cat, set against the background of the Hindenburg disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Drumpot wrote: »
    Watched the great hack, very well made documentary. Frightening what goes on and we don’t really care about how we are manipulated!!!

The Netflix blurb says: "Explore how a data company named Cambridge Analytica came to symbolize the dark side of social media in the wake of the 2016 U.S. presidential election".

Its title is a bit of a misnomer; it's not about hacking. It's about how our online activity being monitored seems harmless, and hence why we allow it for the convenience social media apps allow, but where its sale to companies like Cambridge Analytics can actually help to undermine democracy and the fabric of society through the monetization of this data. It sounds hyperbolic, bollix even, but Big Data is there to be bought, and used against us. The take-home message is that we empower these companies. The question is : Do we have the resolve to over-ride our desire for convenience?
    The program is over 2 hrs long, and while it seems a little disjointed at times, it's quite informative and thought-provoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its title is a bit of a misnomer; it's not about hacking.
    People are constantly concerned about hackers steal random tidbits of info online. Then Cambridge Analytica have all this info they were using without out most people's knowledge. They aren't claiming it was via hacking, it's highlight the analogous end result.

Mellor wrote: »
    People are constantly concerned about hackers steal random tidbits of info online. Then Cambridge Analytica have all this info they were using without out most people's knowledge. They aren't claiming it was via hacking, it's highlight the analogous end result.

The information isn't stolen, so it's not hacking. The point is that people freely give the information over (of their online activity, and preferences), by ticking their agreement to terms and conditions, and thereby allowing data mining (so not hacking- it's abuse of consent). The likes of Facebook etc breach even that, and allow access to other people's data. I think it is a deliberate misnomer on the part of the producer's though, because it mirrors how social media misdirects it's users. Perhaps that's what you meant by analogous.

• Advertisement

Enter the Anime
    What is anime? Through deep-dives with notable masterminds of this electrifying genre, this fast-paced peek behind the curtain seeks to find the answers.

No Good Nick season 2
    A family finds their lives turned upside down when a teenage con artist shows up on their doorstep, claiming she's a distant relative.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is it any good?

Eight episodes in, I'm enjoying it. Has a bit of a 24 vibe about it, in that, the entire series seems to take place over a very short period of time.

A few weird plot holes though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

5 episodes into I am a killer, very good , death row inmate interviews,goes into their backstories and the victims,law enforcement etc,some heavy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I AM A KILLER
    Death row inmates convicted of capital murder give a firsthand account of their crimes in this documentary

Misfit
    After living in America for years, a teenage girl moves back to the Netherlands and is quickly singled out as a misfit by the popular clique at school

Added today

this is very good, i watched 5 episodes back to back

The information isn't stolen, so it's not hacking.
    I didn’t say it was hacking. :confused:
    It’s an analogy, a metaphor. They are not saying it’s literally hacking.
    I think it is a deliberate misnomer on the part of the producer's though, because it mirrors how social media misdirects it's users.
    Don’t see how that applies tbh.
    Nobody is going to be misdirected by the title unless they are completely asleep at the wheel.

I didn’t say it was hacking. :confused:
    It’s an analogy, a metaphor. They are not saying it’s literally hacking.
    I didn't say you had said it.:rolleyes: . The title says it, yet it's not hacking that's involved.
    And it's not hacking if willingly giving consent is the issue (which it is).
    A metaphor for hacking? I don't think so, though I do see it's possibility.
    Don’t see how that applies tbh.
    Nobody is going to be misdirected by the title unless they are completely asleep at the wheel.

If people see a title with hacking in it, and it's not about hacking, you're not asleep at the wheel; you've been misdirected. By the end, some or most people will have realised it. I just pointed it out as a side issue.

There's a thread on The Great Hack if you want to move over there.;)

• Advertisement

A metaphor for hacking? I don't think so, though I do see it's possibility.

Jesus Christ dude. No not a metaphor for hacking, the film isn't about hacking. :confused:
    They are using the word hack just the word, as a metaphor for the action of data mining people's personal info without their consent. This is not complicated.
    If people see a title with hacking in it, and it's not about hacking, you're not asleep at the wheel; you've been misdirected. By the end, some or most people will have realised it.
    There's no misdirection. It's clearly not about hacking.

Cuckoo season 4

I'm Brent Morin

Inside No.9 Season 4

Jim Jefferies : BARE

Screwball
    A steroid peddler explains how he went from an unlicensed anti-aging expert to the point man for the biggest scandal in baseball history.

Wild (back up on netflix)

added today

Jesus Christ dude. No not a metaphor for hacking, the film isn't about hacking. :confused:
    They are using the word hack just the word, as a metaphor for the action of data mining people's personal info without their consent. This is not complicated.

There's no misdirection. It's clearly not about hacking.
    Its title is a bit of a misnomer; it's not about hacking. ]

So, you're right- it's not about hacking! Which is what I said; so whether the end result is a metaphor or not- the title is still "a bit of a misnomer". It's at the very least a misleading title.
    This was well put by you; "They are using the word hack just the word, as a metaphor for the action of data mining people's personal info without their consent". However, using a metaphor is something that is discovered after/during watching the documentary; the title is misleading. What's the issue with that? All I was pointing out - which you have taken issue with- was the simple fact that the title can lead people to be believe that it concerns actual hacking, which it clearly doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Inside No.9 Season 4

Excellent!! Been waiting for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Has all of Anthony Bourdain's programs gone from Netflix?,i was slowing making my way through parts unknown maybe an episode every week or so but went to watch it yesterday and its gone and any of his other stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Has all of Anthony Bourdain's programs gone from Netflix?,i was slowing making my way through parts unknown maybe an episode every week or so but went to watch it yesterday and its gone and any of his other stuff...

Yeah I was watching it a few weeks back and got a notification that there was only so many days left to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I watched this wonderfully wholesome, true story movie over the weekend. Great acting and get ready to blame the onions for the watery eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Saw it during the film festival one year. Great performances and a really sweet story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Saw it too. She’s a fantastic actress!

Collateral beauty
    Fahrenheit 11/9
    In this provocative documentary, director Michael Moore examines the impact of Donald Trump's presidency and seeks a political escape plan

The Pursuit
    In a time of turbulence for the free market system, one economist explores how it has lifted billions out of poverty, and might just save us all
    Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

munster87 wrote: »
    Yeah I was watching it a few weeks back and got a notification that there was only so many days left to watch it.

No way, I was really enjoying it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I have recently started watching Homeland again. I gave up on it around season 4 but decided I would try it again. I had to wade through, seasons 4 & 5 but season 6 really improved as it went on. I'm into season 7 now and enjoying it a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Pursuit
    In a time of turbulence for the free market system, one economist explores how it has lifted billions out of poverty, and might just save us all
    Added today

LMAO at this description.

“What if the solution to the crippling social problems caused by rampant capitalism is... more rampant capitalism?!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Collateral beauty
    Fahrenheit 9/11
    In this provocative documentary, director Michael Moore examines the impact of Donald Trump's presidency and seeks a political escape plan

Fahrenheit 11/9 you mean?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement