Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finding orange is the new black a hard slog. Half way through. Taking me forever to finish
    I'm five episodes in and finding it a big improvement on the previous season thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I also see Obama in a totally different light after watching Fahrenheit 11/9 and not a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I also see Obama in a totally different light after watching Fahrenheit 11/9 and not a good one

I just finished it tonight and my mouth is on the floor. Democracy my arse. The Bernie Sanders bit loosing the vote despite cleaning up (party vote) was a disgrace. Flint I knew a bit about but the rigging of kids medical tests for lead was disgusting. Moore liked to link Trump with the Nazi party but it was much closer to China in respect of control and domination.

If we thought our own collection of idiots were bad, just one look at the mess that is the US should be a warning shot to a very possible future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The relationship Trump has with his daughter is probably the most creepiest thing I've seen.

It's a father being proud of his daughter. I think it says more about those who get creeped out by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's a father being proud of his daughter. I think it says more about those who get creeped out by it.

You obviously didn't watch the documentary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The documentary used way too many stills of a father embracing his daughter as a way to suggest... I don't know what. I believe he's a proud father of a family that has grown up in the spotlight, and a life none of us could comprehend. It's a decent documentary but that was too much for me. That's not hard hitting journalism.

I'm no fan of Trump, btw, and I suspect Ivanka is a chip of the ol' block.

I also think the Documentary has an agenda against Trump but there was far too many clips that backup the point I was getting at and when you combine that with it all the other claims of harassment its hard not to think that his relationship with his daughter is a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I also think the Documentary has an agenda against Trump but there was far too many clips that backup the point I was getting at and when you combine that with it all the other claims of harassment its hard not to think that his relationship with his daughter is a bit weird.
    He's reasonably open about wanting to fnck her. That's his thing really, being open about doing and thinking things that are not supposed to be acceptable. His fans like it and also want to fnck his daughter. But - and this is a big but - I'm 99% sure he hasn't actually fncked her.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I just finished it tonight and my mouth is on the floor. Democracy my arse. The Bernie Sanders bit loosing the vote despite cleaning up (party vote) was a disgrace. Flint I knew a bit about but the rigging of kids medical tests for lead was disgusting. Moore liked to link Trump with the Nazi party but it was much closer to China in respect of control and domination.

If we thought our own collection of idiots were bad, just one look at the mess that is the US should be a warning shot to a very possible future.
    I had to watch it in two goes. I didn't know much about Flint and found the main section on that a bit hard to take. Don't remember the last time I felt so angry about something on the TV.

I had a similar reaction too, feeling lucky not to live somewhere like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Archer season 10

Only just (finally) got around to watching Season 9 "Danger Island", so that's a nice surprise. Had herd this latest genre twist was the show back to something resembling its best, but I have heard that before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hunter Killer ( Gary oldman , Gerard Butler )
    When the Russian president gets kidnapped in a coup, an American submarine captain leads a rescue mission in the hopes of avoiding all-out war

Added today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hunter Killer ( Gary oldman , Gerard Butler )
    When the Russian president gets kidnapped in a coup, an American submarine captain leads a rescue mission in the hopes of avoiding all-out war
    Good bit of fun that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

shamrock55 wrote: »

Moore gets a lot of flak for being "left wing", or at least America's version of Left wing, but his documentaries are more about the chaos of American politics in the round.

In 'Fahrenheit 11/9' he attacks everyone, including Obama and the DNC's scuppering of the Sanders presidential campaign and in a way that's part of the problem with the documentary. It isn't very focused and it's far too long.

There's really there documentaries going on here. The one about the Flint water privatisation scandal, the one about Trump and the one about the rot in the DNC. Each one of them could be a satisfying 90 min outing.

But regardless of which wing one sits on, I'd urge everyone to look at the Flint water part. Everyone knows that Trump is a prick at this stage, even his followers. But the section on Rick Snyder and his, frankly, abominable carry on in the Michigan town is a real insight into how A. big money rules politics and B. how privatisation of essential services fucks things up for ordinary folk.

Watching 'I am a Killer' at the moment, but not feeling the high praise for it that I've seen elsewhere.

SPOILERS

Two episodes in and it's kind of bland I feel.

The first episode meandered a bit too much. I don't really care what the Florida lawyer had to say and it's clear that Robertson is simply a psychopath that should be in a mental institution, rather than a prison. But, at the end of the episode, I was nonplussed about the whole thing.

The second episode's only remarkable item is that the driver of the car got a death sentence (later commuted to life), even though he didn't pull the trigger that murdered LaHood.

Over all, it appears to be a sad indictment of people who are left behind in American society, than anything else.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Moore gets a lot of flak for being "left wing", or at least America's version of Left wing, but his documentaries are more about the chaos of American politics in the round.

In 'Fahrenheit 11/9' he attacks everyone, including Obama and the DNC's scuppering of the Sanders presidential campaign and in a way that's part of the problem with the documentary. It isn't very focused and it's far too long.

There's really there documentaries going on here. The one about the Flint water privatisation scandal, the one about Trump and the one about the rot in the DNC. Each one of them could be a satisfying 90 min outing.

But regardless of which wing one sits on, I'd urge everyone to look at the Flint water part. Everyone knows that Trump is a prick at this stage, even his followers. But the section on Rick Snyder and his, frankly, abominable carry on in the Michigan town is a real insight into how A. big money rules politics and B. how privatisation of essential services fucks things up for ordinary folk.
    The despair was striking. Being told to mind their manners. The mainly sad and gentle tone of the residents when they explained the situation. The surprise sell-out by their hero. All too beaten down and gaslighted to express anything like the appropriate level of outrage for what was done to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Finding orange is the new black a hard slog. Half way through. Taking me forever to finish

Hate when it takes forever to finish... 😊

Due Date still cracks me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Due Date still cracks me up.

Watched it last night. Funny. :)

Dead in a Week... Or Your Money Back
    After several failed attempts at taking his own life, a young man hires an aging assassin who'll do anything to fend off retirement.

are we done yet?

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’m gonna have to rewatch season 1 of Dark. I really liked it when I watched it 2 years ago or whenever it was, but I gave up 4 episodes into season 2. Not that it wasn’t good, but I just wasn’t able to appreciate it enough as could not properly follow the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nova: Poisened water.

And not so much about the water but Flint Town is also a reasonable good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watching 'I am a Killer' at the moment, but not feeling the high praise for it that I've seen elsewhere.

SPOILERS

Two episodes in and it's kind of bland I feel.

The first episode meandered a bit too much. I don't really care what the Florida lawyer had to say and it's clear that Robertson is simply a psychopath that should be in a mental institution, rather than a prison. But, at the end of the episode, I was nonplussed about the whole thing.

The second episode's only remarkable item is that the driver of the car got a death sentence (later commuted to life), even though he didn't pull the trigger that murdered LaHood.

Over all, it appears to be a sad indictment of people who are left behind in American society, than anything else.

I watched the whole series and to be honest it doesnt get any better. More of the same really. I was hugely underwhelmed by it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I watched the first episode of I am a Killer and didn't think much of it.

Watched all of the new QB1 over the weekend, more of the same, but excellent. Love seeing the insight into how the system works for young athlethes in the USA.

Catching up on GLOW, really like it.

Deep into S2 of Mindhunter. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Deep into S2 of Mindhunter. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Really is.

adox wrote: »
    I watched the whole series and to be honest it doesnt get any better. More of the same really. I was hugely underwhelmed by it.

Yeh, I think I'm done. Watched episode 3 and was, underwhelmed, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Binge-watched Mindhunter S2 over the weekend and well what can I say.....f€ckin brilliant. Really hope there'll be more series, there's definite scope there for many more by all accounts.

On another note I keep telling my kids to be nice to me, after all I now know how to hide bodies :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I’m gonna have to rewatch season 1 of Dark. I really liked it when I watched it 2 years ago or whenever it was, but I gave up 4 episodes into season 2. Not that it wasn’t good, but I just wasn’t able to appreciate it enough as could not properly follow the story.

I found the same, there's enough going on that you can't really get by on a 2 minute "Last time on Dark" recap, especially if you're watching it with subs.

I'm going to watch the whole thing from start to finish when the final season is released next year, I reckon that'll be the best way to watch it.

Simon Amstell: Set Free
    Honest, introspective comic Simon Amstell digs deep and delivers a uniquely vulnerable stand-up set on love, ego, intimacy and ayahuasca.

Fifty Shades of Grey (back up again)

Kiss Me First Season 1
    A lonely young woman hooked on a virtual reality game befriends a party girl who leads her into a world of new thrills and dark secrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Simon Amstell: Set Free
    Honest, introspective comic Simon Amstell digs deep and delivers a uniquely vulnerable stand-up set on love, ego, intimacy and ayahuasca.
    Love Simon Amstell will defo check this out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

If you need more of that anger after watching Farenheit 11/9....I think The Family is a great companion piece. I thought it was a simple drama at first but it's set up that way. It's really a documentary on the very shady side of Washington DC and US politics as a whole, touching on the separation of Church and State, corruption, cults, etc. It's insane how things really ain't what they seem to be.

Also, Mindhunter Season 2... F*** Yeah that was sooo good!! The actors playing the real life serial killers were spot on, and I really appreciated their choice to shed light on the Atlanta child murders. Had no clue about it at all before watching the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

camz09 wrote: »
    If you need more of that anger after watching Farenheit 11/9....I think The Family is a great companion piece. I thought it was a simple drama at first but it's set up that way. It's really a documentary on the very shady side of Washington DC and US politics as a whole, touching on the separation of Church and State, corruption, cults, etc. It's insane how things really ain't what they seem to be.

Also, Mindhunter Season 2... F*** Yeah that was sooo good!! The actors playing the real life serial killers were spot on, and I really appreciated their choice to shed light on the Atlanta child murders. Had no clue about it at all before watching the show.

I see that the actor playing Manson is the same actor that plays him in Tarantino’s new film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

munster87 wrote: »
    I see that the actor playing Manson is the same actor that plays him in Tarantino’s new film.

Yup. Although, he's basically in only 1-2 scenes in OUATIH, you can see on the show why he's cornered the Manson market. His voice and intonation, posture, general creepiness & delusions of grandeur vibe is spot on without being cartoonish (although let's face it, Manson is pretty cartoonish irl) The BTK and Berkowitz actors were so creepy too, it's really unnerving watching the show, but I can't help it, it's too good. Hell I didn't even know the main guy from the Atlanta murders and when I googled him after the show, I was like, WTF, where did they find the actor, it's so spot f****** on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

camz09 wrote: »
    The Family is a great companion piece..

Watched the first one and left it.

Wasn't sure were the acting pieces supposed to be satirical/cheesy?

American Factory
    In this documentary, hopes soar when a Chinese company reopens a shuttered factory in Ohio. But a culture clash threatens to shatter an American dream.

The Girl Allergic to Wi-Fi
    s166
    When an internet-obsessed teen develops a rare illness that forces her to move to a remote town, she must navigate her relationships without technology.

Hyperdrive Season 1
    Elite street racers from around the world test their limits in supercharged custom cars on the biggest, baddest automotive obstacle course ever built

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Halfway through Mindhunter s02
    Excellent. Just brilliant tv
    This show has legs. Characters are being developed a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

km79 wrote: »
    Halfway through Mindhunter s02
    Excellent. Just brilliant tv
    This show has legs. Characters are being developed a bit more

Watched s2 start to finish yesterday. Only two years to wait now

New season of Archer is really good. Almost skipped it after disliking the last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Do amazon prime shows go in this thread too?

New Ms. Maisel not coming until December but i watched teh first two episodes of "the boys" last night - worth a watch.

Superheroes are big brands and get away with collateral damage, "the boys" are a group who are trying to fight back against them. I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fian wrote: »

New Ms. Maisel not coming until December but i watched teh first two episodes of "the boys" last night - worth a watch.

Superheroes are big brands and get away with collateral damage, "the boys" are a group who are trying to fight back against them. I enjoyed it.

Best series I've watched this year. The guy playing Homelander is absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Boys is incredible. Homelander is so perfectly cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Best series I've watched this year. The guy playing Homelander is absolutely brilliant.

I couldnt believe that the same guy thats the lead in Banshee, also another show well worth the watch. But completely different types of characters

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Also on Amazon Prime, Fleabag is a great watch. One of the best things Ive seen in along time as well

Fian wrote: »

There are a couple of prime threads

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Looks like there could be 5 seasons of Mindhunter (unconfirmed but still....) here's hoping!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Also on Amazon Prime, Fleabag is a great watch. One of the best things Ive seen in along time as well

Overhyped, i found. Bit of the zeitgeist about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Finished Mindhunter Season 2 tonight, great viewing. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bus Boy wrote: »
    Finished Mindhunter Season 2 tonight, great viewing. Well worth a watch.

Was great. I hope BTK is the main case next season. A truly terrifying man in his banality considering what he did. So many killers to chose from though. Zodiac would be interesting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Heckler wrote: »
    Was great. I hope BTK is the main case next season. A truly terrifying man in his banality considering what he did. So many killers to chose from though. Zodiac would be interesting too.

I have a feeling they'll keep with the btk intros till the final season, as he wasn't caught till 2005. They're at 1981 at the end of s2

Flatliners (remake)

Fun with Dick & Jane(also a remake)

Mother!

Victoria & Abdul

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mother!
    Hmmm that film is an....experience!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.