Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

gmisk wrote: »
    Hmmm that film is an....experience!

Is it any good? its on my to watch list.
    Might give it a go this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it any good? its on my to watch list.

It defies traditional descriptions of ‘good’ and ‘bad’, in both a positive and negative sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So bad then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Flatliners remake is absolutely bollocks - avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It defies traditional descriptions of ‘good’ and ‘bad’, in both a positive and negative sense :pac:
    Well said...its a hard one to categorise

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

ok, cool cool cool. I can live with that :D
    Thats my Friday night lined up so, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

ok, cool cool cool. I can live with that :D
    Thats my Friday night lined up so, cheers

488760.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mother! is, as johnny says, difficult to classify as just good/bad.

One way of looking at it is as an exaggerated depiction of what it's like being an introvert living in American society.

It's one of those films where it's not necessarily about a linear plot so much as it is trying to convey the experience and emotional state of the protagonist, and this it does very well. But, Aronofsky being Aronofsky, you may well get to the very end and say "well that ending is a whole load of pish".

It's definitely worth watching once, I'd say. Preferably on as big a screen and as good a sound system as you can manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

mother! is excellent, and something you'll never forget experiencing. Any piece of art that can do that is noteworthy to say the least.

I did some googling on what it was all actually about afterwards and enjoyed that aspect of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I tried to watch it and gave up after 30 minutes, I can't understand how such films get made with considerable money involved. Crap acting, crap script, crap directing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Homelander wrote: »
    I tried to watch it and gave up after 30 minutes, I can't understand how such films get made with considerable money involved. Crap acting, crap script, crap directing.

I can't understand how people can watch films without reviews- or sometimes, despite them :p :

488820.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tigger123 wrote: »
    mother! is excellent, and something you'll never forget experiencing. Any piece of art that can do that is noteworthy to say the least.

I did some googling on what it was all actually about afterwards and enjoyed that aspect of it too.

Many a piece of art I have forgotten seconds after seeing it! Are we talking Guernica or one of those untitled blank canvases that just insult our intelligence? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

is_that_so wrote: »
    Many a piece of art I have forgotten seconds after seeing it! Are we talking Guernica or one of those untitled blank canvases that just insult our intelligence? :D

Guernica is probably a pretty decent analogy actually. It looks like what its supposed to be, but represents it in really interesting and sometimes challenging way.

Look, just watch it! Its excellent!

And read up a bit on it afterwards. It will deepen your appreciation of what you've just watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can't understand how people can watch films without reviews- or sometimes, despite them :p :

I looked up the Masters of the Universe ratings on RT the last day and they're bad. But I really enjoyed that film.

On another note The Netflix Cowboy Bebop live action series has added Elena Satine to the cast. The cast so far is:
    John Cho as Spike
    Mustafa Shakir as Jet Black
    Daniella Pineda as Faye Valentine
    Alex Hassell as Vicious
    Elena Satine as Julia

I can't understand how people can watch films without reviews- or sometimes, despite them :p
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    I looked up the Masters of the Universe ratings on RT the last day and they're bad. But I really enjoyed that film.

Well, there's no accounting for taste! :)

I can't understand how people can watch films without reviews- or sometimes, despite them

Sometimes I'll sit down and watch something out of curiosity without - gasp - looking up reviews on my phone. I know, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sometimes I'll sit down and watch something out of curiosity without - gasp - looking up reviews on my phone. I know, I know...

Absolute mad man :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion tonight, 4 episodes in and it's pretty great. Suspect I may want to yell at Shinji after a while given some of the "GET IN THE F###ING ROBOT" jokes and memes I've seen around.

Also - I skipped The Bad Batch when it first dropped because the initial reviews were dodgy, but recently realised it's by Ana Lily Amirpour, whose A Girl Walks Home At Night I really liked. That being the case is it worth a look?

Also also - 4 seasons of Teen Titans Go! are now on Netflix. Some of the finest stupid slapstick whimsy going, IMO, and some great (very, very silly) musical numbers littered throughout. The episode about mortgages (yes, really) remains a highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Heckler wrote: »
    Was great. I hope BTK is the main case next season. A truly terrifying man in his banality considering what he did. So many killers to chose from though. Zodiac would be interesting too.

I don't think Zodiac would work. Wrong decade, and the fact he was never caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rust Valley Restorers Season 1
    Old-school auto collector Mike Hall, his pal Avery Shoaf and son Connor Hall go the extra mile to restore retro cars -- and hopefully turn a profit.

Blackhat

Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls and PM Modi
    Prime Minister Modi joins fearless adventurer Bear Grylls to explore wildlife conservation and issues related to environmental change in India.

HERO MASK Season 2
    After a rash of mysterious deaths, Crown prosecutor Sarah Sinclair and SSC agent James Blood discover a conspiracy surrounding uncanny new bio-masks.

Mayday Life
    Mayday's Life Tour concert unfolds as five fading superheroes are summoned to save the world from an extraterrestrial enemy that detests sound.

added today

bob odenkirk on better call season 5 & that the breaking bad movie is already shot

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-odenkirk-teases-better-call-saul-season-5-watch-1233020

peteeeed wrote: »
    bob odonkikl

Big fan of his performance in Better Call Sudoku.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Big fan of his performance in Better Call Sudoku.

boom

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fysh wrote: »
    Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion tonight, 4 episodes in and it's pretty great. Suspect I may want to yell at Shinji after a while given some of the "GET IN THE F###ING ROBOT" jokes and memes I've seen around.

Watched it when it first got added a month or two ago. Be sure to skip the last two episodes and go straight to The End of Evangelion. Don't bother watching the death squared thingy, it's just a summary of the series.

Great series but kind of disappears up it's own arse towards the end, the visuals make up for it for the most part though(particularly in the film). It's also a bit pervy/creepy tbh.

That theme tune will be in my head forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gonna watch episode 8 of S2 of Mindhunter later. What would peoples recommendation to watch next? I like crime thriller programs. Thanks

• Advertisement

The Sinner.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The Sinner.

Thanks. I loved that show. Cant wait for the next season :)

coming in September

September 1st
    Brampton’s Own (2018)
    Coffy (1973)
    For the Birds (2018)
    Elena (2012)
    Jonah Hex (2010)
    Moving Art (Season 3)
    Olmo and the Seagull (2014)
    Shameless (U.S.) (Season 8)
    The Bridge (2017)
    The Pianist (2002)
    Uncle Naji in UAE (2019)

September 4th
    Submergence (2017)
    Wanderlust (Season 1)

September 6th
    Arhibald’s Next Big Thing (Season 1)
    Elite (Season 2) N
    Hip-Hop Evolution (Season 3)
    Jake Whitehall: Travels with My Father (Season 3)
    Modest Heroes: Ponoc Short Films Theatre
    The Spy (Limited Series)

September 12th
    The I-Land (Limited Series)
    The Mind, Explained (Season 1)

September 13th
    American Horror Story: Apocalypse (Season 8)
    Hello, Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea (2019)
    Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato (Season 1)
    Tall Girl (2019)
    The Chef Show (Volume 2)
    The Ranch (Part 7)
    Unbelievable (Limited Series)

September 15th
    Only Fools & Horses (Seasons 1 & 2)

September 18th
    David Brent: Life on the Road

September 19th
    The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
    Vagabond (Season 1)

September 20th
    Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019)
    Criminal: UK (Season 1)
    Criminal: France (Season 1)
    Criminal: Germany (Season 1)
    Criminal: Spain (Season 1)
    Disenchantment (Part 2)
    Fastest Car (Season 2)
    Inside Bill’s Brain: Decoding Bill Gates (Season 1)

September 24th
    Jeff Dunham: Beside Himself (2019)
    What’s Coming to Netflix UK on September 25th
    Abstract: The Art of Design (Season 2)
    Glitch (Season 3)

September 26th
    Call Me By Your Name (2017)
    Explained (Season 2)

September 27th
    Bard of Blood (Season 1)
    In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019)
    Skylines (Season 1)
    The Politician (Season 1)

September 29th
    John Wick: Chapter 2

September 30th
    Mo Gilligan: Momentum (2019)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not much there for me after a stellar couple of months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

anyone seen 'the dawn wall', incredible documentary about 2 rock climbers.
    well worth a watch

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Gonna watch episode 8 of S2 of Mindhunter later. What would peoples recommendation to watch next? I like crime thriller programs. Thanks

Manhunt: Unabomber is worth a watch for Paul Bettany's turn as the Unabomber.

The first season of Happy Valley is worth a look as well.

mikekerry wrote: »
    well worth a watch

Watch Free Solo over on All Four about Alex Honnold's attempt at a free solo climb of El Capitan. Amazing stuff but you have to some short circuit in the brain to ever want to attempt something as crazy as that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

well worth a watch

Yeah, very good watch. If you enjoyed that you should give Free Solo a look. It's not on Netflix unfortunately.

Manhunt: Unabomber is worth a watch for Paul Bettany's turn as the Unabomber.

The first season of Happy Valley is worth a look as well.

Ive binged watched both of them.

Manhunt was great.

I thoroughly enjoyed Happy Valley

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah, very good watch. If you enjoyed that you should give Free Solo a look. It's not on Netflix unfortunately.

You can watch it for free on All4.

Just seen that in your other post, wasn't aware of that cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Great thanks will watch that . Heard it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Ive binged watched both of them.

Manhunt was great.

I thoroughly enjoyed Happy Valley

I enjoyed the Alienist (except for Dakota Fannings whispery voice) and Quicksand which are both crime shows.Though quicksand is a bit more of a teenage drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

September 15th

^ Happy days

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the Alienist (except for Dakota Fannings whispery voice) and Quicksand which are both crime shows.Though quicksand is a bit more of a teenage drama.

The Alienist is a good show, though it is slow to start. It's like a period drama Mindhunter, in that it's 1896 New York unorthodox sleuthing, with some gruesomeness thrown in. Great acting in it.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    September 15th

^ Happy days

Surely that should be 'lovely jubbly!'

Nice one. Might check The Alienest out this weekend so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

well worth a watch

Really good film, likewise Free Solo. Meru is another good one, made by and starring Jimmy Chin who made Free Solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Am I the only one who hoped the guy in Free Solo fell off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks to everyone here who flagged up Money Heist. After ignoring it because of the silly title (the original Spanish title is so much better) we're thoroughly enjoying this. I really want to see the actor playing Berlin in a Bond villain role.

The Nal wrote: »

Seriously?!?! You should probably test yourself to see if you're a psychopath...

I think I had my back to the screen for most of the last fifteen minutes of that documentary. I couldn't bear to watch it.
    I was like the camera guy they kept cutting to who was nearly getting sick having to film it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Thanks. I loved that show. Cant wait for the next season :)

Watch Marcella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sequel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement