Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    White Gold is great, if you like that then you might like People Just Do Nothing.
    Yeah I thought White Gold was quite good, even though it's from BBC I never heard of it until I stumbled upon it browing Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah I thought White Gold was quite good, even though it's from BBC I never heard of it until I stumbled upon it browing Netflix.

I see there was talk of a third season of it. Thought the main actor had managed to completely destroy his career but seems not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Been watching "inside number nine" on Netflix. Never saw it when it was on BBC.

I am not sure whether i tried it on foot of a recommendation in this thread or just chanced onto it, in any case I recommend. Well worth a watch. Expecially since each episode is about 20 minutes long so it is perfect to drop in and out of. I have been popping it on while i am waiting for my wife to join me to watch whatever we are planning to watch together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Elmo wrote: »
    That's what got me, no problem with the investigation but the whole story about Tench's family was just pointless, also his wife annoyed the **** out of me, and the coincidence that he "adopted" a weird child. At least in the first season Ford's relationship allowed him to grow, and discuss ideas, I just saw Carr's relationship tokenism, no real relation to the rest of the show (though I am sure I missed something). Otherwise yes the second season was good but IMO not as good as the first.

As an aside but they could of kept the actors names for the series they all sound like their characters.

Jonathan Groff
    Holt McCallany
    Anna Torv

And Holt even changed his name from Holt Quinn McAloney. Great story about him too where he ran off and when his parents found him they sent him to Newbridge College in Kildare for a few years of school having been originally sent to the National School in Howth as a kid. I was watching an episode of Law & Order called 'Purgatory' from 2007 and guess who shows up in it? Still think it has been one of the best recent Netflix productions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Caegan wrote: »
    Haven't seen this, I'll put it in the list. Thanks Gloom

If you havent watched Its Always Sunny, you're doing netflix wrong in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

peteeeed wrote: »
    Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones
    Dave Chappelle takes on gun culture, the opioid crisis and the tidal wave of celebrity scandals in a defiant stand-up special filmed in Atlanta.

added today

The p.c wokeness thing is losing momentum and there'll only be a handful of comedians who didn't remain silent or change up their act. Top of the list will be Dave Chapelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Uncle is easy watching if stuck for light comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

munster87 wrote: »
    Uncle is easy watching if stuck for light comedy

Uncle is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The p.c wokeness thing is losing momentum and there'll only be a handful of comedians who didn't remain silent or change up their act. Top of the list will be Dave Chapelle.

Isn't it great to see a comedian being funny without the fear of offending someone. Stand up comedy is in the doldrums nowadays and it's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught A Simple Favour last night and thought it was kind of underwhelming. Like, the Blake Lively/Anna Kendrick scenes were good, but the plot was a bit slight for how long the film runs. Though I will say I laughed out loud at the scene where Stephanie has to face off with Dennis Nylon over why she was in someone's office without permission...

Blade runner 2049 ( my favourite movie of 2017)

Dropping cash Los Angeles season 2

Travis Scott: Look Mom I Can Fly
    While crafting his Grammy-nominated album "Astroworld," Travis Scott juggles controversy, fatherhood and career highs in this intimate documentary

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Blade runner 2049 ( my favourite movie of 2017)

Brilliant, I missed it in the cinema and have been looking forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Not sure if posted already but "American Factory" is well worth a watch.

"In post-industrial Ohio, a Chinese billionaire opens a new factory in the husk of an abandoned General Motors plant, hiring two thousand blue-collar Americans. Early days of hope and optimism give way to setbacks as high-tech China clashes with working-class America."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Not sure if posted already but "American Factory" is well worth a watch.

"In post-industrial Ohio, a Chinese billionaire opens a new factory in the husk of an abandoned General Motors plant, hiring two thousand blue-collar Americans. Early days of hope and optimism give way to setbacks as high-tech China clashes with working-class America."

Have that on the list and am looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Guys thanks for pointing me to It's Always Sunny, about 8 episodes in and it's great. It's keeping me from Mind Hunter S2 but I'm loving it.

Don't know how this went under my radar for so long

• Advertisement

Expo
    Mistakenly accused of kidnapping, a veteran soldier leaves a trail of broken bad guys in his wake as he tries to rescue a teen sex trafficking victim

Falling Inn Love
    When a San Francisco exec wins a New Zealand inn, she ditches city life to remodel and flip the rustic property with help from a handsome contractor.

Kardec
    In Catholic 19th-century France, professor L�on Rivail attends a s�ance and is moved to found spiritism, putting him in the authorities' sights.

Workin' Moms season 3
    Maternity leave is over and it's time for these four moms to return to work while navigating kids, bosses, love and life in modern-day Toronto.

Added today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Started watching Chapo this week, it's much better in Spanish and with English subtitles than dubbed. Really enjoying it so far would recommend to anyone who likes Narcos.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Guys thanks for pointing me to It's Always Sunny, about 8 episodes in and it's great. It's keeping me from Mind Hunter S2 but I'm loving it.

It hasn't even begun to peak yet!

Started Money Heist S3 last night, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

That show doesn’t get going until Frank arrives in season 2!! Love it!

dark crystal age of resistance season 1 is out tomorrow and is getting very good reviews

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance/season-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The Laundromat will debut in theaters on September 27th, and will arrive on Netflix on October 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

“A Shot in the Dark “ follows a few groups that chase news events in La at night, and compete to sell their footage to News channels .

Watched a few episodes and find it fast moving and entertaining. One of the people they follow is the image of Simon Pegg ( and English too!) and that’s kind of amusing !

If anyone has watched and enjoyed the Movie Nightcrawler you will definitely get into this . In fact it made me wonder if they based hat movie on some of the characters in this series !

Daz_ wrote: »
    “A Shot in the Dark “ follows a few groups that chase news events in La at night, and compete to sell their footage to News channels .

Watched a few episodes and find it fast moving and entertaining. One of the people they follow is the image of Simon Pegg ( and English too!) and that’s kind of amusing !

If anyone has watched and enjoyed the Movie Nightcrawler you will definitely get into this . In fact it made me wonder if they based hat movie on some of the characters in this series !

i liked it , doesn't look like its getting a second series , they all seemed like complete d!ckheads but it was a decent watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

is Peaky Blinders going on Netflix?

be handy to have them all in one place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    is Peaky Blinders going on Netflix?

be handy to have them all in one place

4 seasons there at the moment. The 5th will go up eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Started Resurrection Ertugrul 4 months ago and finished at the weekend.

4 seasons (360 * 40+ minute episodes) of fighting, intrigue, political chicanery, treachery, many highs and many lows. Zero riding for those that like a bit!

Am currently working my way through various sources of season 5 as its not on Netflix yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Daz_ wrote: »

The brother of the main guy was who the character in the movie was based on, and he was also an adviser on the movie

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Started Resurrection Ertugrul 4 months ago and finished at the weekend.

4 seasons (360 * 40+ minute episodes) of fighting, intrigue, political chicanery, treachery, many highs and many lows. Zero riding for those that like a bit!

Am currently working my way through various sources of season 5 as its not on Netflix yet

No RT critic r/v, but IMDb gives it 7.5.
    Interesting article about this and Turkish history, and their tv viewing:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/14/opinion/erdogan-tv-show-turkey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

The brother of the main guy was who the character in the movie was based on, and he was also an adviser on the movie

Cool , that makes sense , good to know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Expo
    Mistakenly accused of kidnapping, a veteran soldier leaves a trail of broken bad guys in his wake as he tries to rescue a teen sex trafficking victim

Falling Inn Love
    When a San Francisco exec wins a New Zealand inn, she ditches city life to remodel and flip the rustic property with help from a handsome contractor.

Kardec
    In Catholic 19th-century France, professor L�on Rivail attends a s�ance and is moved to found spiritism, putting him in the authorities' sights.

Workin' Moms season 3
    Maternity leave is over and it's time for these four moms to return to work while navigating kids, bosses, love and life in modern-day Toronto.

Added today

Recommendations thread? These all sound like torture! :D

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Recommendations thread? These all sound like torture! :D

i recommend you don't watch them so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

i recommend you don't watch them so

Thanks for the recommendation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Find most of what I'm watching lately is all comedy stuff. Mainly because I find the Netflix originals unappealing. Being bombarded with the trailer for 'Otherhood' for a week straight almost had me cancelling my subscription.

The Simon Amstell stand up special is quite good. He's both smarmy and self deprecating at the same time. His best work is probably still on Never Mind the Buzzcocks but I enjoyed it.

I didn't really like the new Dave Chapelle one. I get that he is challenging PC stuff and maybe the PC brigade has got to me but I just found it really tone deaf and self serving and most importantly not that funny. Much weaker than his older stuff and a lot of it is rehashed using the same voices and shtick of his older better material. that hitting his knee with the mic thing is overdone now. Shame cuz I saw him live back in the early 2000s and at the end of the night my face hurt from laughing so much.

Maron Season 1-3 is on Netflix and I thought it was really good. Marc Maron is probably kind of a love him or hate him type guy but I think he's great. Shame they only have the first 3 seasons though, I think the 4th one where he goes off the wagon and ends up in rehab is maybe the best. He has 2 standup specials on Netflix as well (and he's on Glow).

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is really watchable. Ive found a lot of Irish people didn't get Seinfeld's humor but you dont have to be a fan of that sitcom to enjoy this, it's just comedians talking about their craft and it's really interesting to me to see what they're like when they're not 'on.' The Eddie Murphy and Garry Shandling episodes really stood out to me, and the Michael Richards (Kramer) one, too - 3 very funny guys who each have something sad about them too. and the cars he picks for each episode are amazing.

Saw they have 'The End of the F***king World' up which, while very teen-angsty, I really enjoyed when it was on C4, it's a one season mini series, dark comedy/drama. The two protagonists are both very well acted but the girl in it particularly stood out to me, totally nailed the stroppy but insecure teenager thing without being too cliche.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance season 1
    As power-hungry overlords drain life from the planet Thra, a group of brave Gelfling unite on a quest to save their world and fight off the darkness.

Back to School
    Eager to flaunt their success in front of old bullies and teenage crushes, two best friends spend a wild night at their middle school reunion.

CAROLE & TUESDAY
    Part-timer Carole meets rich girl Tuesday, and each realizes they've found the musical partner they need. Together, they just might make it.

The Good Bandit season 1
    A near-death experience spurs a feared drug lord to leave behind his life of crime and infidelity, to the disbelief of everyone close to him.

Styling Hollywood season 1
    Whether styling superstars or elevating A-list homes, couple Jason Bolden and Adair Curtis of JSN Studio connect famous clientele with the chicest looks.

added today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I also watched the Travis Scott doc. I like a few of his songs, and obviously he's done well for himself though I always had the feeling he was a right pr**k and and the doc pretty much confirmed that.

Still, it was interesting. I admire anyone who works hard at a creative endeavor. wish we saw more of his process for writing though.

He definitely puts on crazy shows, especially compared to what live rap usually is like.
    And I don't blame him for being a bit of a sore loser about the Grammy. Cardi B winning was a joke, they just had their mind made up the award was going to a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Away this weekend so won't get to watch Dark Crystal until Sunday. Thought it was going to be half hour episodes, but they're between 46 and 61 minutes. Looking forward to it

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is really watchable. Ive found a lot of Irish people didn't get Seinfeld's humor but you dont have to be a fan of that sitcom to enjoy this, it's just comedians talking about their craft and it's really interesting to me to see what they're like when they're not 'on.'
    Just cannot understand Seinfeld being funny. Absolutely love Curb Your Enthusiasm- yet both co-written/produced by Larry David.
    ComediansICGC quite enjoyable, depending on the guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just cannot understand Seinfeld being funny.

You have to be in a mood for the series. I used to hate it, couldn't understand it, used to say its about nothing, I didn't get that inadvertently I'd gotten what the show was about, and a running joke in the series.

There are some great episodes. All most all sit-com from the states since have take something from Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Just cannot understand Seinfeld being funny. Absolutely love Curb Your Enthusiasm- yet both co-written/produced by Larry David.
    ComediansICGC quite enjoyable, depending on the guest.

You got to remember that Seinfeld is 30 years old at this stage (released 1989) and it is showing it's age. At the time it was so different to anything else on tv at that time (show about a masturbation contest!). It was so far ahead of its time, but I suppose now we've caught up. I still rewatch all series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Elmo wrote: »
    There are some great episodes. All most all sit-com from the states since have take something from Seinfeld.

I still enjoy watching old episodes of Seinfeld as I've more or less ran friends into the ground at this stage its repeated so often, although seasons 1-5 of friends are still great.

I remember watching a documentary on Father Ted where Graham Linahean mentions that he was a big fan of Seinfeld and how each episode played out tried to follow a similar beat to Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

seligehgit wrote: »
    Enjoyed Baby Driver

Watched this purely based on your comment and the few thumbs ups.....loved it!! Not what I expected at all. Great cast. I was hooked straight away! Have a feeling it'll be a cult classic of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Stumbled upon "Safety Not Guaranteed". I personally love Jake Johnson (Nick, New Girl), along with Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass, with the latter being bloody brilliant in this movie. A good watch. If you like The Office or Parks and Rec, you'll love this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Roadhouse is on Netflix...watched it 4 times already....wish casino and donnie brasco were added.

James McAster standup series is one of the funniest things ive seen. Love Uncle and Toast of London.

Favourite thing at the moment is Derek. Not for everyone but the funniest and poignant tv I have seen.

A few Garfield cartoon films added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Ben Affleck film, live by night is such a bad film, avoid at all costs. He also looks extremely weird in it, his face has undergone extreme plastic surgery.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    The Ben Affleck film, live by night is such a bad film, avoid at all costs. He also looks extremely weird in it, his face has undergone extreme plastic surgery.

I didn't bother, coz:
    489576.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Awful awful movie. Sienna Miller's Irish accent is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Just finished Mindhunter S2, really enjoyed it. Overall a great two seasons of TV.

Just wondering if there's anything else like it on Netflix? Thanks

Just finished Mindhunter S2

Just wondering if there's anything else like it on Netflix?

Didn't Netflix's algorithm not help you out?:P

Depends on what you liked about it- some people on this thread thought it was boring. What were the elements that tickled your fancy that could aid suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just finished Mindhunter S2, really enjoyed it. Overall a great two seasons of TV.

Just wondering if there's anything else like it on Netflix? Thanks

Manhunt Unabomber is excellent imo. Also fairly similar in style to Mindhunter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement