Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Watched it's kind of a funny story, enjoyable actually!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger
    Bill Burr unloads on outrage culture, male feminism, cultural appropriation, robot sex and more in a blistering stand-up special shot in London

Evelyn
    Haunted by the suicide of a brother, a director and his kin walk across the U.K. in an emotionally trying, visually sublime journey toward healing

Our Godfather
    In 1986, Tommaso Buscetta became the first top-level Mafia boss ever to testify against the mob. It cost him and his family everything.

Sword Art Online season 2
    A video game whiz helps create a new technology that enables players to guide their online avatars with their own bodies -- but a dark twist emerges

Terrace House: Tokyo 2019-2020
    Six strangers share a fabulous house in Tokyo, looking for love while living under the same roof. With no script, what happens next is all up to them

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Jesus Netflix why can’t I skip the intro to Its Always Sunny? My head is melted with the theme tune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

myself and her indoors stuck into 'rectify'....really good show.

"Rectify" focuses on the efforts of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convict who spent 19 years on death row, to reindoctrinate himself into society and reacquaint himself with his family in a small Georgia town after DNA testing overturns the verdict in his murder trial. His efforts to make a new life are complicated by the politician (Michael O'Neill) who was instrumental in putting him behind bars, who makes it his business to see that Daniel gets sent back to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

dougm1970 wrote: »

"Rectify" focuses on the efforts of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convict who spent 19 years on death row, to reindoctrinate himself into society and reacquaint himself with his family in a small Georgia town after DNA testing overturns the verdict in his murder trial. His efforts to make a new life are complicated by the politician (Michael O'Neill) who was instrumental in putting him behind bars, who makes it his business to see that Daniel gets sent back to jail.

This is an excellent slowburner. A simple story, really well told and acted, with some simple but effective subplots. Doesn't sound like much, but inevitably the question, and the drama, arises : Did he or didn't he commit the murder? Your sympathies are increasingly tested, until you find out in the end. It sounds drawn out, over 4 series, but it's well worth the wait.

From RT:

AVERAGE TOMATOMETER 95%

AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE 93%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dougm1970 wrote: »

Not on Irish Netflix......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the spy? Sasha Baron Cohen is in it. It’s pretty good. On third episode.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/netflix-review-sacha-baron-cohen-compelling-the-spy-418499/

Finished it last night, fantastic.. Then immediately bought the book 'Our Man in Damacus'

Sasha Baron Cohen was brilliant playing Eli Cohen, so good.

Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rebellion an Irish drama surrounding the 1916 rising looks decent enough.The 1st season is there with the 2nd to follow later this year.

Stars a good few from Love Hate including a boards.ie favourite John Conners.

Two episodes in and looks promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought Rebellion was pretty crap personally and the follow-up even worse. Wanted to like it but just wasn't there.

I'll stick with it for now and see how it progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Rebellion an Irish drama surrounding the 1916 rising looks decent enough.The 1st season is there with the 2nd to follow later this year.

Stars a good few from Love Hate including a boards.ie favourite John Conners.

Two episodes in and looks promising.
    not on irish netflix?

soap1978 wrote: »
    not on irish netflix?

Apologies I didn't think the vpn worked on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Rebellion is available on the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Not on Irish Netflix......

oh ?...apologies...we use a vpn on the tv apps for bbc iplayer, u.s. netflix etc...and ordinary non-vpn on an android box for regular netflix.
    didnt dawn on me to think it could have been not on our netflix here.

Bill Burr's new stand up is very good if you're into that kind of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Call the Midwife season 7
    This period drama set in impoverished East London in the 1950s follows a newly qualified midwife and her colleagues at a nursing convent.

Kill the Messenger
    In the 1980s, a crusading journalist uncovers secret CIA funding for Nicaraguan rebels, but the powers that be silence his investigation.

added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Michael Inside" - a Dublin teenager's experience of the Irish penal system after getting caught up in a drugs bust. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sleepy wrote: »
    "Michael Inside" - a Dublin teenager's experience of the Irish penal system after getting caught up in a drugs bust. Really enjoyed it.
    I was pretty disappointed with it tbh saw it in cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was pretty good too. Definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

gmisk wrote: »
    I was pretty disappointed with it tbh saw it in cinema
    Bumped the film thread for it and it certainly seemed to get mixed reactions! Personally, I found the tension ratcheted up pretty well and the main character to be quite easy to identify with. Not a perfect film but I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 ishudcoco

+1 for that Danish film The Guilty. Brilliant performance from the lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Completely hooked on Mindhunter after starting it last week. Excellent show. Started S2 last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks. I wouldn't be a big fan of Jack Whitehall, he's not bad but I think especially not in stand up that he sets his joke up the same way and you can see the punchline coming a mile off. Also its Far from an original idea travelling around with your parent(s) or a fish out of water staged reality show (Paris Hilton was doing this kind of thing 15 years ago.

Having said all that I really found it excellent. His father Michael plays this almost deadpan but yet cutting line delivery just perfectly. Bit of heart in there and some real LOL moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks."

That took me too long. Thought you had been spending time with your father.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

inforfun wrote: »
    "So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks."

That took me too long. Thought you had been spending time with your father.....
    This is why formatting is important. Compare
    "So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks"
    with
    "So I knocked through Travels With My Father over the last couple of weeks."
    or even
    "So I knocked through Travels With My Father over the last couple of weeks."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

"the world is yours". really entertaining and well put together French gangster movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ziedth wrote: »
    So I knocked through Travels with my father over the last couple of weeks. I wouldn't be a big fan of Jack Whitehall, he's not bad but I think especially not in stand up that he sets his joke up the same way and you can see the punchline coming a mile off. Also its Far from an original idea travelling around with your parent(s) or a fish out of water staged reality show (Paris Hilton was doing this kind of thing 15 years ago.

Having said all that I really found it excellent. His father Michael plays this almost deadpan but yet cutting line delivery just perfectly. Bit of heart in there and some real LOL moments.

Only ever managed to struggle through the 1st series.

Was funny in parts but very scripted and staged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/09/11/official-the-witcher-release-date-revealed/

The Witcher may be landing on December 17th.
    Not sure if that date has any significance since it's a Tuesday, rather than the usual Friday release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

I couldn’t watch 4 episodes of something I found ‘truly awful’. I could understand giving a show 4 episodes to pick up if it was average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is it just me or is Netflix a bit **** recently? I haven't seen something decent being added in some time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Netflix a bit **** recently? I haven't seen something decent being added in some time :(

Depends what your definition of decent is, I'm really enjoying the Dark Crystal series and im looking forward to watching the new Blade Runner which I missed in cinemas. I've got so much on My List at the moment anyway that I still have to watch as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone know if there will be a new season of Narcos coming this year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mindhunter season 2
    Dark crystal
    Elite season 2 is fun as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

munster87 wrote: »
    I couldn’t watch 4 episodes of something I found ‘truly awful’. I could understand giving a show 4 episodes to pick up if it was average.

Sick, and fairly incapacitated.
    Only my own time wasted.

Another Life only got one episode before being canned from my watch list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Paddleton isnt a bad watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

munster87 wrote: »

Twenty seconds into episode two when the lead character
    goes swimming in shark-infested waters having just cut her foot badly on the beach
    was the final red flag for me.

Shame. It had plenty of promise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They appear to be going for quantity over quality, I fear.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've really been struggling to find things to watch over the last month or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Netflix IS mostly rubbish, especially for films. Very few of the films you will want to see but didn't get to see in the cinema will go onto Netflix, the top film industry studios are not happy about everyone staying home to watch stuff and are trying to avoid putting stuff on it.

as has been discussed before there are TONS of older films that could help their catalog but Netflix really are all about stuff that is new and in HD so it rarely adds old stuff that's any good.

I think eventually the studios will come around and make a service that will show more recent films that are done in the cinema that will replace DVDs as very few people still buy them.

I also think Netflix or other streaming services will move away from putting whole seasons of certain shows on at once and add single episodes or portions of seasons weekly instead.

I'm having to resort to nefarious means to find good films lately. The only thing worse than Netflix at the moment is film4. Jesus cripes how many times can they put on The Babysitter?

I watched a bit of the Bill Burr special, though I have never and still don't understand why he's so popular, he's the most stereotypical 'Boston-Irish-American' loud obnoxious 'I tell it how it is and don't care if you're offended' type, just don't find him clever or original at all it's the type of banter you could find in any barroom. But some people think he's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

"the world is yours". really entertaining and well put together French gangster movie

I can't find this on Netflix, does it have an alter ego, another name?

If I didn't think netflix was value for money I would be cancelling my sub straight away.

Personally I think it could be better but when you take into account what you get for €15 a month I think its well worth it.

Back in the DVD rental days you wouldn't be getting very much for €15.

There is also little loop holes around reducing that €15 to around €8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

while it's in general a pretty dumb movie, David Spade gives a hilarious performance in Father of the Year. he's kind of a love him or hate him guy I've always been a fan of his myself, his films are generally crap since Chris Farley died but he is really funny on his talk show appearances.

still can't get over how unfunny Bill Burr is though, relies on f bombs because his jokes have no punchlines or actual wit. he just rants about PC culture like an idiotic drunk uncle with a smug look on his face I couldn't make it past ten minutes can't believe people would pay to go see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Netflix IS mostly rubbish, especially for films. Very few of the films you will want to see but didn't get to see in the cinema will go onto Netflix, the top film industry studios are not happy about everyone staying home to watch stuff and are trying to avoid putting stuff on it.

as has been discussed before there are TONS of older films that could help their catalog but Netflix really are all about stuff that is new and in HD so it rarely adds old stuff that's any good.

I think eventually the studios will come around and make a service that will show more recent films that are done in the cinema that will replace DVDs as very few people still buy them.

I also think Netflix or other streaming services will move away from putting whole seasons of certain shows on at once and add single episodes or portions of seasons weekly instead.

I'm having to resort to nefarious means to find good films lately. The only thing worse than Netflix at the moment is film4. Jesus cripes how many times can they put on The Babysitter?

I watched a bit of the Bill Burr special, though I have never and still don't understand why he's so popular, he's the most stereotypical 'Boston-Irish-American' loud obnoxious 'I tell it how it is and don't care if you're offended' type, just don't find him clever or original at all it's the type of banter you could find in any barroom. But some people think he's brilliant.

Simple answer: because people find him funny. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes plain old funny will do. You could reduce any comedian to a stereotypical description if you tried. And you’d struggle to find someone as funny as him in any bar. Plenty who think they’re as funny, mind.

I think he made some good points myself.
    He was spot on with the quadriplegic actor thing and the bit about consent and how tone and context matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched Bill Burrs special the other night and found it pretty good, I like his style of going off on a rant about something which normally isn't funny but he puts it into a funny perspective or his ridiculous logic about something. I think you get a better sense of him from his podcast. I don't really like how comedy specials these days are full of pc nonsense but thats the way the world is now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've never listened to Bill Burr's stand up as he doesn't really appeal to me for some reason but F is For Family is brilliant (imo).

Anyone who doesn't think Ol' Billy is funny is just flatout wrong.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I might give one of his a look when I finish all the Dave Chappelle specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Bill Burr is fantastic but if you're not familiar with him, I can see why the Joe Rogan podcast wouldn't exactly make his special must see viewing. ironically Joe's podcasts with comedians are actually very rarely funny, they wind up just talking about the biz. But I would definitely recommend Burrs new special. He's one of the best around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement