Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

garra wrote: »
    I can't find this on Netflix, does it have an alter ego, another name?

just checked there and it doesn't look like it's on the english netflix :mad:. it's on the French one under "le monde est a toi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only 2 ep's in but Dark Crystal is one of the best things Netflix has commissioned.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RasTa wrote: »
    Only 2 ep's in but Dark Crystal is one of the best things Netflix has commissioned.

I'm 8 in and couldn't agree more. It looks stunning in dolby vision.

I think it's many times superior to the film too tbh.

A bit mad the main guy behind it was the director of The Transporter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Simple answer: because people find him funny. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes plain old funny will do. You could reduce any comedian to a stereotypical description if you tried. And you’d struggle to find someone as funny as him in any bar. Plenty who think they’re as funny, mind.

I think he made some good points myself.
    He was spot on with the quadriplegic actor thing and the bit about consent and how tone and context matter.

I thought it was excellent. Wasn’t wild on his last one but absolutely loved everything before that. This was a return to form IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

dulux99 wrote: »
    But I would definitely recommend Burrs new special. He's one of the best around.

I liked some of his previous stuff but this latest one was pretty tedious. Just ranting about pc gone mad, laughs were pretty thin on the ground. I think I made it about 20 minutes in.

I know, I know, it's all subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

American Horror Story season 8
    This twisted Emmy-winning drama plays upon the power of supernatural fears and everyday horrors, exploring humankind's unsettling capacity for evil

The Chef Show season 2
    Writer, director and food enthusiast Jon Favreau and chef Roy Choi explore food in and out of the kitchen with accomplished chefs and celebrity friends

Head Count
    A group of college students on a weekend getaway accidentally summon a supernatural entity intent on using them for its deadly ritual

Hello, Privilege. It's Me, Chelsea
    In this documentary, Chelsea Handler explores how white privilege impacts American culture -- and the ways it's benefited her own life and career

Hitman Redemption (Asher)
    After meeting a teacher during a botched job, a weathered hitman strives to escape his indentured life to start a free one with her.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato season 1
    Ikoma and the Iron Fortress take their fight to the battlegrounds of Unato, joining the alliance to reclaim the region from the kabane horde

Marianne season 1
    Lured back to her hometown, a famous horror writer discovers that the evil spirit who plagues her dreams is now wreaking havoc in the real world.

Monarca season 1
    After 20 years, Ana Mar�a returns to Mexico and vies for control of her family's tequila empire as it threatens to crumble under corruption and secrets

The raunch season 7
    Being a pro athlete didn't pan out for Colt. Now he's helping his dad and brother keep the ranch afloat, and figuring out how he fits into the family

Shanghai Fortress
    A young man falls for a heroic general and soon follows her footsteps as humans defend Earth against extraterrestrials seeking a precious energy source.

Tall Girl
    After years of slouching through life, 6-foot-1 teen Jodi resolves to conquer her insecurities and gets caught up in a high school love triangle.

Top Boy season 1
    Two seasoned drug dealers return to the gritty streets of London, but their pursuit of money
    and power is threatened by a young and ruthless hustler

Unbelievable
    After a young woman is accused of lying about a rape, two female detectives investigate a spate of eerily similar attacks. Inspired by true events

Betty en NY
    A young Hispanic woman in New York struggles to break into the fashion industry but is faced with an even bigger challenge: finding love

The I-Land
    Wiped clean of memories and thrown together, a group of strangers fight to survive harsh realities -- and the island that traps them.

The Mind, Explained ( new eps)
    Ever wonder what's happening inside your head? From dreaming to anxiety disorders, discover how your brain works with this illuminating series

Added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

American Horror Story season 8 - Apocalypse is absolutely dreadful. 1st episode is ok, then the story just gets difficult to follow, and just style over substance.
    Season 1 and 2 were fantastic.
    3 Witches was great for first half but went down towards end.
    4 Freak Show was very good throughout.
    5 Hotel was a bit mewh, think this is where they started to treat the show like a hipster music video.
    6 Roanoke I though was absolutely brilliant, would have it with 2 and 1 as the best of all series.
    7 Trump was not good but still watchable.
    8 was just dreadful and very unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Netflix a bit **** recently? I haven't seen something decent being added in some time :(

Yea, its been a while since anything got my attention on it tbh, Umbrella Academy probably. I watched a couple of episodes of Wu Assassin last night, which I didnt love. Again, I think this was a show picked up by Netflix rather than produced by them.

I'm starting to think its a bit of a false economy. The really quality stuff I have been watching lately has been on other services

All 4 - Fleabag, Community
    Amazon - The Boys, homecoming, Hanna
    Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl, Fortitude

I think I'll cancel netflix and take on an AppleTV and keep my Amazon Prime subscription. €15 or whatever is not going to break me, but I'd rather watch a limited amount of high quality new content rather than middling repeat or rerun material.

Just my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Off work sick today, so watched about four episodes of The I-Land.

I feel much much worse.
    It's an awful show. Truly awful.

Have to make a comparison to Netflix's recent Another Life.
    Both shows are completely derivative of far better movies & shows that came before them. They just blatantly steal concepts/themes but deliver them with zero care, both are awful at world building, character developing, and just thoroughly unenjoyable.

Please avoid.

Watched the trailer for The I-Land last night and that was enough to tell me its utter ****e. Looked like a rip off of Lost. Netflix really bug me with their quality sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All 4 - Fleabag, Community
    Amazon - The Boys, homecoming, Hanna
    Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl, Fortitude

Why is Fleabag on All4?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why is Fleabag on All4?

It's not, might have been to referring to PHB's other show Crashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder why they're calling Top Boy season 1. I thought it was season 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lots of well reviewed TV added today to be honest - Unbelievable, Marianna, Top Boy.

And then there's The I-Land.. :D

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder why they're calling Top Boy season 1. I thought it was season 3

Netflix tweeted earlier that you didn't need to have watched the first series' to watch the new one but if you wanted to they were available under a different name. Bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just checked and I see Top Boy Summerhouse there as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Why is Fleabag on All4?

I wish it was on All4!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Getting off topic, but Fleabag is on Amazon :)

Getting off topic, but Fleabag is on Amazon :)

But only season 2, alas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

iniall wrote: »
    But only season 2, alas...

I watched recently enough and I'm nearly sure it was the BBC player.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I watched recently enough and I'm nearly sure it was the BBC player.

It could well be on the iPlayer, but I don’t have access to that. On Prime it’s labelled an “Amazon Original”, but only season 2 is available to (Irish) Prime members. The sort of thing that never happens with Netflix Originals...

• Advertisement

IPlayer is very easily accessible in ireland, think I used the parcel motel address when I set up my account;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

iniall wrote: »
    It could well be on the iPlayer, but I don’t have access to that. On Prime it’s labelled an “Amazon Original”, but only season 2 is available to (Irish) Prime members. The sort of thing that never happens with Netflix Originals...

Fleabag is sort of a unique case, due to BBC’s involvement. Shame season one isn’t on there for sure, but reckon the rights situation is messier than you’d get in any other case on Amazon or Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

marianne is some load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Blitzing through Top Boy today, really enjoying it. Would definitely say that you would need to see the first two seasons through, so not sure why they are calling this season 1.

rekluse wrote: »
    Blitzing through Top Boy today, really enjoying it. Would definitely say that you would need to see the first two seasons through, so not sure why they are calling this season 1.

I was wondering what was going on there, I watched the auto trailer and I was like... I don't remember any of that, I must research it.

Nice one, something new to get stuck into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Half way through Unbelievable. Compelling viewing so far. Toni Collette is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Finished Glow, I really enjoyed it. Good fun.

Started Unbelievable, it’s unreal. Love it. Toni Colette is excellent, and I think the other female lead is the young nurse from nurse Jackie and she is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

For anyone looking for a movie to watch with their significant other, give Someone Great a watch. I threw it on last night expecting it to be awful but myself and the wife actually enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ishudcoco wrote: »
    +1 for that Danish film The Guilty. Brilliant performance from the lead.

Exceptional.

Outstanding performance.

Surviving R. Kelly: Season 1
    The six-part documentary that explores the allegations of abuse against the singer

Free willy

Flowers season 2

Only fools and horses season 3 & 4

Added today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049, as much of a sci fi fan that I am I found it very boring but visually very good

Two episodes into unbelievable
    So far so good

Finished 3rd episode of Unbelievable and it's 10/10. The two detectives are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Finished 3rd episode of Unbelievable and it's 10/10. The two detectives are brilliant.

Finished it.

Great watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Unbelievable was brilliant. Went in with zero expectations, just thought I'd check out Toni Collette (one of my faves) and Kaitlyn Dever who's turning out to be one of the best of her generation. Amazing acting, smart pacing. Merritt Wever A++ as always. The first two episodes where Marie was just rejected and beaten from all sides of her life was really tough, heartbreaking really. Insane that pretty much all this happened in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched Unbelievable in one sitting today. Possibly the best show that Netflix have produced.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wasn't even aware of that show, might have to give it a look going by the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049, as much of a sci fi fan that I am I found it very boring but visually very good

Agree. Watched it back to back with the original Blade Runner while ago which really accentuated the feeling of over longness. The orginal was so tight and focussed, new one looked great but dragged and lingered, then had a weirdly abrupt resolution. Wouldn't say they made a sh*te of if tho which was probably an achievement in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

strawdog wrote: »
    Agree. Watched it back to back with the original Blade Runner while ago which really accentuated the feeling of over longness. The orginal was so tight and focussed, new one looked great but dragged and lingered, then had a weirdly abrupt resolution. Wouldn't say they made a sh*te of if tho which was probably an achievement in itself

I'm a fan of both movies, and recently watched them back to back.

Really not sure if you could call the first one tight and focused? It kind of just trips a long at its own pace I think. The story unfolds itself piece by piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tigger123 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of both movies, and recently watched them back to back.

Really not sure if you could call the first one tight and focused? It kind of just trips a long at its own pace I think. The story unfolds itself piece by piece.
    Is that an intentional origami reference? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is that an intentional origami reference? :D

Entirely unintended!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware of that show, might have to give it a look going by the above.

It's been trending on Twitter since it was released and is getting glowing reviews across the board. It's got a fairly well known cast too. Weird how Netflix don't seem to be promoting it at all?

I think I'm one of the only people in existence that prefers the newer Blade Runner

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Weird how Netflix don't seem to be promoting it at all?

It was on my home screen when I opened the app on Friday so they're marketing it. Their algorithms are odd though. For example, they didn't mention Tuca and Bertie to me, despite me watching all of BoJack Horseman (they share writers). In fact nobody seemed to know about it, leading the show creator to point out that Netflix's advertising algorithm can suck.

ixoy wrote: »
    It was on my home screen when I opened the app on Friday so they're marketing it. Their algorithms are odd though. For example, they didn't mention Tuca and Bertie to me, despite me watching all of BoJack Horseman (they share writers). In fact nobody seemed to know about it, leading the show creator to point out that Netflix's advertising algorithm can suck.

First I heard of that Tuca and Bertie one was when it got cancelled.
    Their Twitter has been pushing Top Boy all weekend, which is fine, but I feel like that's a thing people have been waiting for anyway and probably doesn't need the extra push.

Suppose it's good if a show finds its own audience and generates its own hype, like Unbelievable seems to have done.

• Advertisement

I don't think Unbelievable was being pushed on my feed at all but then again even if it was, on the surface it's probably the kind of show that I wouldn't give a second look to and just didn't notice. It's only the glowing reaction here that has me piqued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

adox wrote: »
    Watched Unbelievable in one sitting today. Possibly the best show that Netflix have produced.

Great series, hate when I run through something so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched the i land over wkend, I dunno, I found myself watching to see would something actually happen but it never really did, it wasn't too bad in fairness but I thought the acting was was poor enough, I've seen worse shows though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is due next month. Not sure that I see an entire series worth of story from the core premise, but it has some decent talent behind it, and Rudd can be engaging with the right material. Hopefully it'll pull at the same threads as Rick and Morty rather than go down the Multiplicity route! Aisling Bea co-stars.

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of Our Lives
    This music-driven documentary charts Clive Davis' 50-year career as one of the world's most influential record moguls

Occupation
    When aliens take over their small Australian town, a modest group of survivors must unite to fend off their otherworldly intruders

Pick of the Litter
    Five Labrador puppies embark on a 20-month training to pass the milestones on their journey to becoming guide dogs for people with visual impairment.

Added today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement