Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo chambers of hate in After Hours.

Options
  • 21-04-2017 4:31pm

There's a huge problem in After Hours, which has been growing and growing and won't go away. Too many times have threads (primarily anything relating to Muslims) turned into echo chamber of hate by a small minority of posters, that attack any poster that says anything that is outside of their own narrative.

And it is attacking and it is bullying. These posters gang up on one, ruining any form of rational discourse, spouting the same nonsense about left wing, right wing. Typically these are new posters, with less than 1000 posts each.

You say anything that is outside of what they want to hear and they leap on you. This has been a growing problem. In one such thread, I mentioned something a news article said and one such poster asked if I would bet money and when I, obviously, said no, I was told to shut my mouth.

It is always the same posters, constantly, hashing out the same tired arguments and totally poisoning any chance of a rational discussion.

It is an echo chamber of hate and nothing more, with one poster even suggesting gassing as a solution.

It needs to be discussed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thanks for the feedback boneyarsebogman, it's something we always welcome.

This is certainly something that we will look into further. I know some threads get out of hand but for the most part the mod team, IMO, seem to do a good job of keeping threads on track and ridding them of the types of posters you outlined.

While they can't get them all and don't always get it right, a lot of effort is put in.

Have you reported any specific posts or posters regarding this? I can follow up on them this evening hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

After hours has gone so dull it's not one bit funny. Here's how it goes

Poster makes a post. Good few people leave replies and opinions but by page 5 it's usually 2 posters arguing with each other - everyone else has lost interest once they see the scrap forming, then there is another 10 pages of the two arguing and then ignoring any other poster that tries to get involved. It's gone ridiculous imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

vicwatson wrote: »
    After hours has gone so dull it's not one bit funny. Here's how it goes

Poster makes a post. Good few people leave replies and opinions but by page 5 it's usually 2 posters arguing with each other - everyone else has lost interest once they see the scrap forming, then there is another 10 pages of the two arguing and then ignoring any other poster that tries to get involved. It's gone ridiculous imo

That was basically the thread about the husband going to the pub. I had to unfollow it. I don't think all threads are as bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

There's a huge problem in After Hours, which has been growing and growing and won't go away. Too many times have threads (primarily anything relating to Muslims) turned into echo chamber of hate by a small minority of posters, that attack any poster that says anything that is outside of their own narrative.

And it is attacking and it is bullying. These posters gang up on one, ruining any form of rational discourse, spouting the same nonsense about left wing, right wing. Typically these are new posters, with less than 1000 posts each.

You say anything that is outside of what they want to hear and they leap on you. This has been a growing problem. In one such thread, I mentioned something a news article said and one such poster asked if I would bet money and when I, obviously, said no, I was told to shut my mouth.

It is always the same posters, constantly, hashing out the same tired arguments and totally poisoning any chance of a rational discussion.

It is an echo chamber of hate and nothing more, with one poster even suggesting gassing as a solution.

It needs to be discussed.

Your the other side of the horse shoe my friend, your the guy that rails against speculation but will always find and post the most obscure tweets very early on showing how whatever the attack de jour is how it absolutely definitely had nothing to do with islam! Of course you are usually wrong then double down on the "every body who points out the long running theme of these attacks is a racist" nonsense. Your the excuse maker, the Europe's never been safer guy, the one who is guaranteed to be there to play things down and use whataboutery every time. Now you are running out of arguments and the attacks are becoming more frequent you are trying to shut down the debate! Classic.

gallag wrote: »
    Your the other side of the horse shoe my friend, your the guy that rails against speculation but will always find and post the most obscure tweets very early on showing how whatever the attack de jour is how it absolutely definitely had nothing to do with islam! Of course you are usually wrong then double down on the "every body who points out the long running theme of these attacks is a racist" nonsense. Your the excuse maker, the Europe's never been safer guy, the one who is guaranteed to be there to play things down and use whataboutery every time. Now you are running out of arguments and the attacks are becoming more frequent you are trying to shut down the debate! Classic.

You're effectively proving my point right now... you do realize that, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I posted last night
    When did threads of this nature become a flame to the right wing moths? A few years ago this was happening but newly/recent registered posters were not a strong feature of them, now they make up the majority who only post on threads of this nature or related matters. It feels like boards is being taken over by the right.

There is no question that AH is now by accident or design (probably the former)
    little more than a rent-a-rant for people who view every issue through a red mist of bias and hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Concur on this, would also like to say it would be great if "no speculation" was enforced in general. Eg Backslapping on it being Muslims being responsible as a situation develops. It's somewhat disgusting to watch. Some posters seem delighted to use it as verification for their bigotry.

Then in the case of Dortmund attack, users were reduced to conspiracies about the Germans covering up attack when it was truly Muslims.

The language in general seems more like hate speech in the case of certain users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's not an AH problem, it's just a societal problem in general. A minority of people with extremist views have avenues to project their hate and bile that they never had before, making it near impossible for decent discussion of the issues. Not that these type of posters have any particular interest in the issues to start with, it's just an outlet for them, if it wasn't Islam it would be something else.

What you can do about it though, I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I don't get the obsession by some trying to cover up the more and more frequent attacks happening in Europe in the name of Islam. Using left wing media outlets that deny attacks are happening like those in Sweden, are a shameful act by some to try distract and cover up the new norm we face. Instead of calling people who speak about this new reality as haters why don't you stop trying to cover it up with insults of others and discuss how we can protect western society against this threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Mods, people are saying things I don't like and disagreeing with me! Do something!

Boards shouldn't be a safe space for anyone, left or right. Argue you're point or unfollow the thread. No one is forcing you to read or comment.

And are you actually surprised that people are angry about Islamic extremism and violence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

As I posted last night

There is no question that AH is now by accident or design (probably the former)
    little more than a rent-a-rant for people who view every issue through a red mist of bias and hate.

Been like that a long time now.

Usually it's either

1) Catholics
    2) Muslims
    3) Social welfare
    4)Public Sector
    5) Abortion

Seems to rotate the wheel of hate. What will it land on next week?

Mods, people are saying things I don't like and disagreeing with me! Do something!

Boards shouldn't be a safe space for anyone, left or right. Argue you're point or unfollow the thread. No one is forcing you to read or comment.

And are you actually surprised that people are angry about Islamic extremism and violence?

Safe spaces are a bad idea and these Americanisms should not be tolerated in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Terror attack - Thread appears in AH - People hate on Islam - Others say it has nothing to do with Islam - Bigotry from one side - Dumb comparisons about IRA and banning cars because they kill more people from the other.

It's not an echo chamber at all. There's 2 sides in every thread and neither is worse than the other... and you OP are always there fighting the good cause for yours.

It's a fairly simple solution to this problem of yours. Don't subscribe to the thread, don't get involved. What you don't read will in no way affect you.
    It's so simple.

What bothers me is people saying 'everyone has a degree', 'degrees are useless'. No everyone doesn't have a degree. Out of six of my immediate family I'm the only one to be third level educated. No degrees are not useless. How would we have teachers, engineers, and all the rest without them? It's complete cynicism and unfair on people who work hard to better themselves.

Terror attack - Thread appears in AH - People hate on Islam - Others say it has nothing to do with Islam - Bigotry from one side - Dumb comparisons about IRA and banning cars because they kill more people from the other.

It's not an echo chamber at all. There's 2 sides in every thread and neither is worse than the other... and you OP are always there fighting the good cause for yours.

It's a fairly simple solution to this problem of yours. Don't subscribe to the thread, don't get involved. What you don't read will in no way affect you.
    It's so simple.

Then that probably would create an echo chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These people are everywhere, I've seen what could be construed as normal people posting absolute nonsense links from the likes of RT . This stuff is prevalent intense and is part of russias war to destabilise the west.

It's continuous and unended , intentional. The Russians feed this stuff to a very specific target market and these people shovel it into their mouths and spew it out everywhere they can.

Money power influence destruction

It's forums like this and every social media outlet you can think of that is the battle field.

You think that's being overly dramatic.its not

Then that probably would create an echo chamber

I'm specifically referring to the OP here. It is obviously pissing him off but he inexplicable arrives in the next terrorist related thread to go through the same motions again.

I'm specifically referring to the OP here. It is obviously pissing him off but he inexplicable arrives in the next terrorist related thread to go through the same motions again.

Possibly attempting to not let the mindless cogs take over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

listermint wrote: »

So he makes his point and in turn other makes their points. Isn't that how a forum works? You can't cry just because you find yourself out numbered sometimes by the 'other side'.

And the "mindless cogs" would probably say the same thing about the "PC/liberal brigade".

People just don't seem to get it. Both sides are as bad as each other in absolutely everything that's come out of Trump/Brexit/Islamist extremism etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I just think the whole place is full of crazy people. Honestly they'd argue about what day it is,never mind a terrorist attack.

kneemos wrote: »
    I just think the whole place is full of crazy people. Honestly they'd argue about what day it is,never mind a terrorist attack.

This is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

kneemos wrote: »

I remember reading a thread in which posters said they were posting here from institutions.

Immediate though was "I'm not surprised."

And the "mindless cogs" would probably say the same thing about the "PC/liberal brigade".

People just don't seem to get it. Both sides are as bad as each other in absolutely everything that's come out of Trump/Brexit/Islamist extremism etc.

I think you confused mindless cogs with a "side"

I think you confused mindless cogs with a "side"

You made it sound that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Red Web is an examination of a real phenomenon, the guardian did a Q and A with the authors after they had become infested with same after the annex of Crimea.

There is no doubt troll/bot factories do exist.

We need more funny threads in AH

I suggest we sacrifice a Mod each month to appease the Gods to give us humorous threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

"I think my gay cat is fraudulently claming benefits aaaand im pretty sure he's Muslim".

"I think my gay cat is fraudulently claming benefits aaaand im pretty sure he's Muslim".

I think he's a transgender single mother who has been on TV shows looking for a free gaff.

• Advertisement

I think he's a transgender single mother who has been on TV shows looking for a free gaff.

Who identifies as a Dolphin.

Advertisement