Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo chambers of hate in After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Who identifies as a Dolphin.

Who are you to assume what mammal they are? Mammals have rights too you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Hey, we already have a baboon rape thread going. Boards is doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Reel in the comedy stylings folks, and stick to actual Feedback or the thread will have a short shelf life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I have never seen such a ridiculous OP.

They have less than a thousand posts ergo my e-peen is bigger.

I disagree with them therefore their opinion is invalid.

I can't back up my arguments when requested to do so, therefore I am being bullied.

Grow some balls son, it's a discussion forum-it's not up to moderators to protect you-we have too much of that oul guff already.

Buffybot, crossposted with yourself, but my opinion, and my ire, stands. This OP amounts to a request for censorship, thanks.

• Advertisement

I have never seen such a ridiculous OP.

They have less than a thousand posts ergo my e-peen is bigger.

I disagree with them therefore their opinion is invalid.

I can't back up my arguments when requested to do so, therefore I am being bullied.

Grow some balls son, it's a discussion forum-it's not up to moderators to protect you-we have too much of that oul guff already.

The post count was mentioned because it's curious that they're all new posters.

A thousand posts isn't that new. I've racked up less than half that in four years.

Despite that-there's no grand conspiracy to invade boards and poison our minds. Most people aren't arsed, even within this country sadly.

There was a time when boards was flirting with relevancy, that time is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Apart from the fact that they are still entitled to their opinion, who is to say that they are not re-regs of closed, or possibly banned, accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Combining this thread with the one about the Politics Cafe, perhaps the problem would be solved by restricting posters with fewer than 1000 posts from these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that they are still entitled to their opinion, who is to say that they are not re-regs of closed, or possibly banned, accounts.

One of the recurring problems,and currently the focus of many posters on this thread,is eaxctly the question of freedom of opinion,or more correctly,having the freedom to form an opinion,as opposed to accepting the opinion proffered by those other posters.

There appears to be a significant fear developing,of independent thinking,or of recognising reality when it rocks up to your door.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Boards is not a super secret club. Anyone can register and post.

listermint wrote: »
    These people are everywhere, I've seen what could be construed as normal people posting absolute nonsense links from the likes of RT . This stuff is prevalent intense and is part of russias war to destabilise the west.

It's continuous and unended , intentional. The Russians feed this stuff to a very specific target market and these people shovel it into their mouths and spew it out everywhere they can.

Money power influence destruction

It's forums like this and every social media outlet you can think of that is the battle field.

You think that's being overly dramatic.its not

Paranoid nonsense.

If they were banned and re-regged, then is that not in breach of general site rules?

Yup. 4.4 under the terms of the site say that you cannot use boards if you have been previously site banned, which appears to be what you're suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Combining this thread with the one about the Politics Cafe, perhaps the problem would be solved by restricting posters with fewer than 1000 posts from these forums.

1000 posts? To be allowed post in After Hours?
    How does one manage to rack up 1000 posts without talking sh*te in After Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

1000 posts? To be allowed post in After Hours?
    How does one manage to rack up 1000 posts without talking sh*te in After Hours?

Beats me, but it's not my standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

A thousand?

Little incentive for people to sign up to use the site to participate in the sites most popular forum(s).

What if your privacy has been compromised, and you wanted to start a fresh with a new account?

Can you imagine the amount of scutter being posted in other forums for no other reason than to hit the target of one thousand posts, just so they could have their say on Mohammed or Putin or whatever?

Edit, I see someone already touched this subject above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

A thousand?

Little incentive for people to sign up to use the site to participate in the sites most popular forum(s).

Also can you imagine the amount of scutter being posted in other forums for no other reason than to hit the target of one thousand posts, just so they could have their say on Mohammed or Putin or whatever?

Or FG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

100 posts would be quite enough, and a political test of course with a few trick questions. ;)

100 posts would be quite enough, and a political test of course with a few trick questions. ;)

Anyone that doesn't fully support open borders fails the test I'm guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

You're effectively proving my point right now... you do realize that, right?

Is he? I don't get into the terrorism events threads - not like it's going to solve anything, but what galag wrote was critical of you but it didn't "prove your point" at all.

• Advertisement

LOL. You would kill AH stone dead and thus the site.

LOL. You would kill AH stone dead and thus the site.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest that this is the intention.

If they were banned and re-regged, then is that not in breach of general site rules?

Yup. 4.4 under the terms of the site say that you cannot use boards if you have been previously site banned, which appears to be what you're suggesting.

Yeh it's also speculation. Like the paranoid Russian stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Where have I suggested that posters Should re-reg after being banned.

Is he? I don't get into the terrorism events threads - not like it's going to solve anything, but what galag wrote was critical of you but it didn't "prove your point" at all.

If you actually ventured into these threads, you'll see it is a very common theme that runs within them.

I'm not going to reply directly to galag, because it seems like they've been banned (though will likely be back within a short time, under a new guise, and continuing on with everything. But what he is referencing to with "obscure tweets" is links to news articles. What they are saying about my not saying it's not Islam is instead, perhaps wait until we actually get concrete evidence?

Rational discourse is not allowed with these individuals. Again if you ventured within these, you'll see exactly what I'm saying.
    Yeh it's also speculation. Like the paranoid Russian stuff.

I dunno, it seemed more like speculation and more suggesting that this was the actual case. But it isn't my place to decide - that would be the site admins/mods, but the suggestion that these people might be by that poster would likely be of interest.
    Where have I suggested that posters Should re-reg after being banned.

You suggested that they might be re-regs after being banned. Not that they should. This is what I said.

Or FG?

Or Super Mario Bros, or JCBs, or the gestation period of an elephant, or any other random topic relative that you might see discussed in AH. (As per the thread title)

But sure you try and stir there, why don't you.

Oh, I see you have had a posting gap of a month. Welcome back.

If you actually ventured into these threads, you'll see it is a very common theme that runs within them.

I'm not going to reply directly to galag, because it seems like they've been banned (though will likely be back within a short time, under a new guise, and continuing on with everything. But what he is referencing to with "obscure tweets" is links to news articles. What they are saying about my not saying it's not Islam is instead, perhaps wait until we actually get concrete evidence?

Personally I think the banning of posters who don't fit the mold here will kill the site. He was critical of you in that reply and only criticised Islam incidentally.

I dunno, it seemed more like speculation and more suggesting that this was the actual case. But it isn't my place to decide - that would be the site admins/mods, but the suggestion that these people might be by that poster would likely be of interest.

Russians would be very clever to pose as ulster unionists (ie galag) and get all their political opinions, writing styles and local concerns correct. (Maybe they planted spies in ulster a few decades ago. oooh!)

And all to make people on boards think that Islam was responsible for an attack in Paris claimed by Isis.

Or Super Mario Bros, or JCBs, or the gestation period of an elephant, or any other random topic relative that you might see discussed in AH. (As per the thread title)

But sure you try and stir there, why don't you.

Oh, I see you have had a posting gap of a month.

Was on holidays. Sounds like you could do with a break yourself. Your hard on for all things FG must be very time consuming and tiring.

Personally I think the banning of posters who don't fit the mold here will kill the site. He was critical of you in that reply and only criticised Islam incidentally.

Russians would be very clever to pose as ulster unionists (ie galag) and get all their political opinions, writing styles and local concerns correct. (Maybe they planted spies in ulster a few decades ago. oooh!)

And all to make people on boards think that Islam was responsible for an attack in Paris claimed by Isis.

I don't have an issue with people criticising me, but what was being criticised over is where the issue lies. With these individuals, if you try to say, "hey, maybe not jump to conclusions, maybe wait until we see some evidence?" doesn't fit within their echo chamber of hate.

I legitimately don't know why you're bringing up Russians here...

• Advertisement

Was on holidays. Sounds like you could do with a break yourself. Your hard on for all things FG must be very time consuming and tiring.

Feedback threads exist as places where people can submit feedback to try and help improve the site.

It isn't somewhere posters head to take swipes at each other and try and stir, something I believe you have attempted here in the last two posts where you have quoted me.

That is all.

Advertisement