Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would a person make a substantial anonymous gift to someone?

• 21-04-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

No, I didn't win the Lotto.

But I am curious. I suppose the donor would engage a solicitor, pay the money to him/her, who in turn would pay it to the recipient?

Is this correct.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not how it would work to be boneat with all the money laudering laws etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Miaireland wrote: »

Yes, was thinking that. But what about all those anonymous donors to various good causes, such as children who need medical care abroad, or the likes.

Maybe someone knows who they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

No, I didn't win the Lotto.

But I am curious. I suppose the donor would engage a solicitor, pay the money to him/her, who in turn would pay it to the recipient?

Is this correct.

No need to complicate matters , i'll just send you on my bank details. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they are unemployed / underemployed, offer them a job.
    This may cause undue worry.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    If they are unemployed / underemployed, offer them a job.This may cause undue worry.

Bring on the undue worry I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Miaireland wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's a difference between giving the anonymous donation when you tell the Revenue, as opposed to giving someone a large sum of money to someone, and saying nought.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Acara

R u for real. The recipient would be liable for gift tax or face criminal charges if found out and you (or your solicitor) would need to make a full disclosure of same to Revenue. This is seen as a form of income and of course is liable to quite a high rate of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Acara wrote: »
    R u for real. The recipient would be liable for gift tax or face criminal charges if found out and you (or your solicitor) would need to make a full disclosure of same to Revenue. This is seen as a form of income and of course is liable to quite a high rate of tax.
    The tax problem doesn't arise in relation to donations to charity, of course.

If you're donating to an individual, it's not "seen as a form of income". It's seen as a gift, and it's liable to gift tax.

The amount of gift tax payable depends on the relationship between the donor and the donee, but if the donor is unknown to the donee the donee can deal with the matter by reporting the gift and having the tax assessed on the basis that the donor is unrelated. In this scenario, you're only paying avoidable tax if in fact the donor is related to the donee, but the donee doesn't know this.

So the moral is: don't make anonymous donations to your son/daughter/parent/brother/sister/nephew/niece/grandchild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭JoeyPeeps

It depends how much you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Include a note saying "dont worry this money is 100% legit as a present" to allay their concerns?

Include a note saying "dont worry this money is 100% legit as a present" to allay their concerns?
    Well, it beats a drug dealer coming looking for his money that he had to stash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

This is why the OP suggested giving the money to a solicitor who does a solicitors letter saying that. You would of course have to explain to the solicitor where the money had come from for AML purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know you've implied it, but a proper personal note that illustrates that you do know the recipient well and you're not someone who's going to come looking for a "favour" at a later stage, is probably necessary.

Otherwise you can easily agonise over whether someone is going to arrive at the door looking for something in a weeks' time.

There is also a scam where someone "stashes" something, asks for you to look after it, but then later makes it "disappear" and then threatens you for money. Never heard of it involving money stuffed through a letterbox though :D

This is why the OP suggested giving the money to a solicitor who does a solicitors letter saying that. You would of course have to explain to the solicitor where the money had come from for AML purposes.
    I was replying to:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

you can transfer up to €3000 to an individual annually without the recipient incurring capital acquisition tax.

Edit : Sorry, should have said CAT, not CGT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A relative wants to give a sum to a local child for treatment abroad, but she does not want to be known.

I am wary, no offence intended to genuine cases, but really, no one actually knows what this money is spent on.

Just a bit of a dilemma with an elderly person who's heart is in the right place.

Hence the solicitor route as a back up, rather than her just writing a cheque or something. Although that is probably no "insurance" either as to what the donation is spent on I suppose. But if given with the right intentions does it matter?

I suspect a donation like this would be tax free under charitable donations.

Really just trying to find an anonymous route for her. Although I have misgivings to be perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The anonymous route in this case may simply be an agent whose name is known, but makes it clear that they're acting on behalf an anonymous donor.

If proper use of the money is to be assured, then this agent should manage the disbursement of the funds, preferably directly to service providers as much as possible. Disbursement directly to the family or to a 3rd party charity can of course end up being used wrong. Whether this is a risk the donor is willing to take is up to them.

A solicitor can do this, and certainly has the resources and skills to do it, but of course will charge for their services. One big thing you do gain with a solicitor is effectively a guarantee of anonymity. They are legally and professionally bound to protect the identity of their client, with the risk of losing their ability to practice if they don't.

A non-professional does not have the same sword hanging over them and might let names slip over a few pints.

Advertisement