Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development vs Business Information Systems

• 21-04-2017 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm currently a first year Commerce student in NUI, but I'm looking to change to GMIT, reason being is I really like the IT side of my degree (Information management and BIS) I'm not a fan of financial maths, stats for maths or accounting in Commerce. (I don't hate maths, I did OL for Leaving Cert but I got a C2 or C1 I can't remember, I enjoyed maths to an extent but Financial maths is not for me).

I could possibly transfer to 2nd year BIS granted I pass my exams,
    or I would have to go back as a first year for Software Development.

What is the level of programming in BIS if any?
    I would (probably) have the points for Computer Science in NUIG if it doesn't go up. From what I know CS is more maths based with elements of physics, while Software Development has a certain amount of maths (algorithms) but not as much as CS, and obviously theres more of a focus on programming.

I'm having trouble deciding between the two, I know they are very different but I like both elements and from what I've seen online BIS = Managerial IT roles, Software Dev = Building systems, programmes, projects. Am I right in that?

Any help differentiating between the two would be appreciated!

Advertisement