Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drinking in pregnancy...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thumpette wrote: »
    Thank you. Smoking is a whole other level.

I wrote this a couple of months after losing Max. Just getting it down on paper and shared made me feel better about wanting to warn every pregnant woman I saw.

I'm now 31 weeks pregnant with Max'/ little brother. Terrified but hopeful we'll get to take him home. Again being around pregnant woman in classes etc just showed their innocence and assumption that everything will be ok.

https://l4stars.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/what-id-tell-her/

Thank you for sharing that. All the best with everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I wrote this a couple of months after losing Max. Just getting it down on paper and shared made me feel better about wanting to warn every pregnant woman I saw.

I'm now 31 weeks pregnant with Max'/ little brother. Terrified but hopeful we'll get to take him home. Again being around pregnant woman in classes etc just showed their innocence and assumption that everything will be ok.

You're a wonderful writer.
    I wish you all the best.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually current research says that they don't know how much/little alcohol is harmful so it should be avoided.
    The fact that they don't know how much/little alcohol is harmful kind of misses the point, and isn't necessarily accurate.

It's quite clear that there is no evidence that one glass of wine per week causes any harm.

And it's not for want of research. I linked to a Harvard article earlier that cited lots of research, but consistently failed to find any proof of harm.

I can totally understand, from a public health perspective, why medical authorities would prefer to apply a blanket rule (because some would use it as an excuse for excessive alcohol consumption), but I'm fairly confident that a lot of professional doctors will still tell their patients, "if you want the occasional, small glass of wine on a Friday evening, go ahead and don't worry". Because none of the research gives cause for concern about that, and there's a lot of peer-reviewed research on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I wish you and your family all the best! Also Max is such a gorgeous name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

This has been known for decades. Hardly breaking news. The current consensus is that all alcohol should be avoided once a pregnancy is known and until breastfeeding is complete.

How this strikes anybody as news just astounds me.

Yes, even the "You can have an occasional drink in the third trimester" line seems to have been dropped now. I wouldn't have heeded it myself anyway!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    On all the studies done on alcohol consumption during pregnancy, FAS has never been observed in babies whose mothers drank moderately. In fact some studies have shown better outcomes in early childhood.

I would be deeply suspicious of any study that claimed that moderate drinking in pregnancy may actually be beneficial as opposed to neutral or downright harmful.

Murrisk wrote: »
    I would be deeply suspicious of any study that claimed that moderate drinking in pregnancy may actually be beneficial as opposed to neutral or downright harmful.
    Well I don't think any study can say that. It's very difficult to establish causation in that case. There was peer-reviewed research published in the International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, which found lower behavioural disorders in boys born to mothers who were light drinkers during pregnancy.

It's unclear whether that's because the mothers were better able to relax during the pregnancy, which is not unreasonable, or because light drinkers might tend to be more affluent and socially advantaged (nice lifestyle) than teetotallers and heavy drinkers.

Either way, that study like all of the others, shows that occasional, light drinking appears to be harmless.

Well I don't think any study can say that. It's very difficult to establish causation in that case.

Just responding to ceadaoin's post that some studies had shown better outcomes in early childhood of children whose parents had drank moderately in pregnancy.

If opinion is changing, I doubt all studies show that imbibing moderately is harmless. It's known that above a certain level, alcohol can cause serious problems in pregnancy and that level is not known. The stakes are high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've had 6 pregnancies since 1998. I've just given birth to my 6th baby on Tuesday, 18 years ago pregnant with my first the advice was everything in moderation. There was no talk of fetal alcohol syndrome, It wasn't a term used then. Advice sometimes given was to drink a small glass of Guinness, for iron!! :)
    I would have had the occasional drink.
    I was also able to take ibuprofen for pain relief for the entire pregnancy as I'm allergic to paracetamol.

Second pregnancy 3 years later, same advice but not allowed take ibuprofen in the first trimester.

Third, 7 years later (10 after the first) advice was no alcohol. Ibuprofen only in the second trimester.

Same with the 4th 2 years later for alcohol. No ibuprofen allowed at all
    5 and 6th pregnancies in the last 3 years again no alcohol or ibuprofen.

The reason I highlight ibuprofen, there was no indication in my earlier pregnancies that ibuprofen was harmful. Likewise with alcohol. As studies show and new information comes to light women can make more informed choices on what or how much to drink. As any medical professional will tell you, they don't know what limit is safe so therefore must assume that avoidance is the only safe measure.
    Likewise with medications and some foods like liver, soft cheeses etc. What one pregnancy will tolerate another won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ted1 wrote: »
    That's just a silly statement. There's cynaide in apples , would you give a child an apple.

It's to do with quantity.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement