Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer hunting land lease prices.

Options
  • 21-04-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I have never leased land, I have permissions on about 200 acres from knocking at doors.

I recently was put onto a guy that has 800 acres for lease in West Wicklow.

Not knowing what to expect I rang the man and asked about it, he said the land is private (Not Coillte).

So, I asked him, How much to lease the land rights per year.

He told me, 12,000 per year. (12,000 Euro)

Which I laughed and said Thanks for your time and Goodbye.

I know nothing about land rental prices but this seemed laughable.

Is it laughable? Or is that what it costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

12 K a year???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He had better have some monster stags on that property for that price!!!
    To justify that kind of money here,it would have to be a well run patrolled, and regulated shoot and it would want to be producing some exellent heads every year,which we would all seen and heard of by now.. And thats Ireland is some parallel universe,not this one. I mean that kind of money would put you on a flight into Budapest and into some of the best Hungarian Red deer reserves for a week,feeding ,bedding and watering ,and you coming home with a good medal head too.

Some of the best shooting in this country is free for the asking ,or for a bottle and a box of Cadbury Roses at Xmas.And LONG MAY IT REMAIN SO!
    Think he was pulling the ol middle leg on you there to get rid of you my man.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've been quoted €350 - €750 for a place on a Coilite lease and often the official cull figure may only be 1 or 2 deer per gun. These are low prices compared to some of the prime leases with much higher cull figures. I know of 1 lease with a cull of 5 that went for just under €1,100 all in but there was no deer what so ever taken off it so it was not worth any money.
    Good prime deer leases of any description are expensive and some guys will and can afford to pay for them. This is not a new phenomenon some of the guys I stalk with where dropping a grand, old money, each on leases where there was 6 or so guns so simple maths - £6-7,000.00 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Some of the best shooting in this country is free for the asking ,or for a bottle and a box of Cadbury Roses at Xmas.And LONG MAY IT REMAIN SO! Think he was pulling the ol middle leg on you there to get rid of you my man.

He wasn't pulling my leg, he has this land advertised locally for lease so it wasn't just word to mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

We rang him off 2 different numbers and 2 different people, Same price, Would you like to ring and see what he says for fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

One lease here is 750 Euro s head and there's 15 lads on the lease that's over 10000 plus I know 3 lads in there 70s still paying into and haven't shot a deer between them in 3 years

• Advertisement

We rang him off 2 different numbers and 2 different people, Same price, Would you like to ring and see what he says for fun?

Get a third person to ring him back,[better if they can pull of a American or European accent.;)] And when he gives his spiel,ask him what was the heaviest trophy taken last year?If he doesn't know ask for what was any over the last 5 years in weights or points,and who shot them,or where can they be seen?? Anyone charging that kind of money should be able to rattle off those facts and be damn proud of them too, to show why it costs so much. If he can't,he is a bull**** merchant sucking in the gullible or desperate.If he can name who shot the best,he should have pics to show,then go see this fellah and have a gander at the head. Then at least you would have something to judge the price of value of the lease.This is how its done anywhere in the world.Show what the let has produced or sod off!!Otherwise you could be paying some joker for a lot of fresh air and never a sight of a deer.

Same with Coilte..7 grand for what exactly would be my question?A lot of hassle obeying Coilte rules and plenty of fresh air by the sounds of it?:rolleyes: Unless they can show what has been taken consistently out of a lease over a few years and you can take an average over that time to judge the value and cost. And not just "well there were four deers shot last year in there." What exactly,Stags?Weight /points and age?Hinds?Bucks?Yearlings,Calves? But then again this is how it is done properly anywhere else in the EU,and with a Coilte /farmer mentality of "too many of dem feckers about,they are vermin!But we'll cash in on dem anyway offf dem hunting lads!" If they are that much of a bother to you,why not let them be shot for free then? We shouldn't wonder that we are being fleeced as people will pay stupid money for nothing.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Unfortunately Coilite run a buyer beware kind of deal. No guarantees, up to you to find out the management plan and oh, by the way we may restrict shooting so that a 'cull' may be carried out! I've witnessed woods knocked flat right in the middle of the season, gates left unlocked by officials for months on end, sports events given permits during weekends and no notification given to stalkers etc etc.

Still I'm one of the lads who'll buy into a lease and enjoy some forest stalking. You'll get a good spot for a modest fee and pull some nice deer to boot. It's nice to have a bit of forestry stalking to mix up with hillside and low land permissions. Still have to wait a while to join the millionaires club, just a few years left on mortgage and college fees.

And that sort of carry on would put me right off ever having a Coilte lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Save your money...Couilte own the trees rarely the land around it. That is where the deer come out to eat grass. I'm not a deer hunter/ shooter, but I know lads that do and they get permission from the farmers surrounding the plots...

Absolutely, some of the best shooting is to be had on the edges of Coilite leases, ........ but it's still not forest stalking.
    I've a few spots on private ground over looking small corpses of trees that yield very good numbers annually but don't have the same appeal as stalking tall timbers or along narrow rides or the such like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There is a bit of forestry mature planting in our gun club area. The surrounding fields are all owned by a cousin of mine.

He is constantly asking lads to get off his land and some are quite abusive about it....One lad was brilliant when it was said to him he looked to join the club..that was 10 years ago and he is a member.

I think these leases should run longer. I know he'd be happier.

About 5 years ago as a club we put in a bid of €750. We didn't get it.

Advertisement