Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Semi Final Clashes With Live Premier League Games

• 21-04-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

This Sunday Arsenal will face Man City in the FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley.

This game would usually get a big TV audience of neutrals because its a big match.

The match kicks off at 3pm which happens to clash with the Burnley/Man utd match which is shown live on Sky at 2:15 and Liverpool/Crystal Palace which is on at 4:30.

The FA dont seem to care about the FA Cup it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

mikeym wrote: »

This game would usually get a big TV audience of neutrals because its a big match.

The match kicks off at 3pm which happens to clash with the Burnley/Man utd match which is shown live on Sky at 2:15 and Liverpool/Crystal Palace which is on at 4:30.

Yeah it's disappointing. I don't have BT sport so am going to head to the pub for it. However with Man Utd and Liverpool far more popular in Ireland, than the premier league matches will take preference in most pubs. So will probably be watching the game with no sound in the corner of a packed pub.
    Goes to show that the FA cup isn't the same as it was in bygone years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I'd watch the Premier league over the FA Cup unless the team I support were in it.

It doesn't matter to me if it's Bournemouth vs Stoke or Chelsea vs Spurs, I'd much prefer to watch Premier league action.

FA Cup was devalued many years ago by Manchester United and I don't think it's ever recovered. Big clubs fans don't really care about it unless they make the final. Even if they win it, if they perform badly in the league they will be calling for the manager's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The FA run the FA cup but not the Premier League. So they are competing with each other in a way.
    But you'd think they'd organise it better as it's in each other's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The FA Cup got devalued a long time ago and the decision to switch semi-finals to Wembley was a bad one too.
    The entire romantic notion and even all the chants used to be about "we're going to Wembley", the idea being it would be for the cup final.
    Stupid that they changed the semis to Wembley.

If they ever want to get the importance of the FA Cup back then you stop having semi's at Wembley and you would ideally take 4th in the league away as a champs league spot and give it to the FA Cup winners instead.
    It would become much more important then.
    (UEFA would probably block that anyway but just thinking out loud)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

JPA wrote: »
    The FA run the FA cup but not the Premier League. So they are competing with each other in a way.

Is it not the FA Premier League? Do the FA not run it, after the break away from the Football League in 91.
    Not like me to defend Man United, but there was serious pressure at the time for them to play that world club championship to boost their World Cup bid. Might have suited United too, but was being driven very much by the FA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is it not the FA Premier League? Do the FA not run it, after the break away from the Football League in 91.
    Not like me to defend Man United, but there was serious pressure at the time for them to play that world club championship to boost their World Cup bid. Might have suited United too, but was being driven very much by the FA.

That's correct. As far as I remember Utd wanted to play the 3rd round game with a team of reserves/youths while the first team squad was in Brazil, but the FA said no. Utd are blamed for pulling out, but it was the FAs fault that it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The kickoff time is likely more of a BT decision than an FA decision. They are probably happy to finally have a 'prime' Sunday afternoon slot for a T6 v T6 encounter. An 11.30am kickoff to get a unique time would have just been weird anyway.
    Obviously the EPL and Sky were going to stick to their 1.30 & 4.00 double header slot regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah it's disappointing. I don't have BT sport so am going to head to the pub for it. However with Man Utd and Liverpool far more popular in Ireland, than the premier league matches will take preference in most pubs. So will probably be watching the game with no sound in the corner of a packed pub.
    Goes to show that the FA cup isn't the same as it was in bygone years.

Such a shame the BBC has to share coverage too. Used to be the only totally free to air English club games. BT getting stuff like this and the Champions League totally limits the reach of those competitions. Great for them now as they rake in the money, but down the line they'll suffer I reckon, as younger fans simply grow up not giving a toss about a competition they barely ever get to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Maybe at the start, that was the name used but I'm not sure on it, but definitely not now. The PL & football league run themselves.
    There was a lot controversy over that breakaway, court cases etc. Though the FA backed it/didn't oppose the split afaicr

That spilt is actually one of the main reasons for the 'decline' of the FA cup. The money in the PL & getting into it staying in it, has lead to teams abandoning it as something worth winning.
    Look at all the changes made by mid table PL & top championship sides.
    The other is the increased CL spots/ money.

Those are far bigger reasons than man u not playing one season. & The teams at the top of the PL have pretty much won it every season since that withdrawal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personally I'd watch the Premier league over the FA Cup unless the team I support were in it.

It doesn't matter to me if it's Bournemouth vs Stoke or Chelsea vs Spurs, I'd much prefer to watch Premier league action.

FA Cup was devalued many years ago by Manchester United
    and I don't think it's ever recovered. Big clubs fans don't really care about it unless they make the final. Even if they win it, if they perform badly in the league they will be calling for the manager's head.

Not this BS again.

The FA Cup has been devalued because European competition and the premier league have become more important.

Top premier league teams concentrate on getting into Europe, lower premier league teams concentrate on stay in the premier league.

Top championship teams concentrate on getting into the premier league.

• Advertisement

Pity as it could be a decent game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Didn't City win an FA Cup final a few years ago on the same day as United or Chelsea won a league?
    The tournament itself is pretty meaningless now. Most teams (even the ones outside of the European places & lower divisions) play weakened teams with 6 or 8 changes.
    It's nice to win a trophy but it rarely leads to a change in attitude. If Arsenal won it this season I doubt many would call it a successful year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The fa cup is much the same as the Carling cup at this stage fairly irrelevant. Two great semi finals this year that in another era would have generated a lot of excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

ERG89 wrote: »
    Didn't City win an FA Cup final a few years ago on the same day as United or Chelsea won a league?
    The tournament itself is pretty meaningless now. Most teams (even the ones outside of the European places & lower divisions) play weakened teams with 6 or 8 changes.
    It's nice to win a trophy but it rarely leads to a change in attitude. If Arsenal won it this season I doubt many would call it a successful year.
    Yep. We beat Stoke on the same day in 2011 as Utd won the PL (at Blackburn, IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I still love the cups and rate them highly regardless of what everyone else says and I'd have loved to have still been in the FA cup this year. It is poor form that these games are not on as the only games. Could they not have had one semi final at half twelve this morning and the second at half five. That would have given them time to clear wembley and get the next lot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Jayop wrote: »
    I still love the cups and rate them highly regardless of what everyone else says and I'd have loved to have still been in the FA cup this year. It is poor form that these games are not on as the only games. Could they not have had one semi final at half twelve this morning and the second at half five. That would have given them time to clear wembley and get the next lot in.
    I doubt the Met would agree to that. 4 sets of fans around the stadium; ignoring the hooliganism factor, traffic would be a nightmare. Plus the logistics of cleaning the stadium and restocking the food and drink facilities. In (possibly) as little as two hours (or less, if the first s/f went to penalties). I don't think it can be done, to be honest. But I agree that the semi finals should be played, if at all pssible on their own unique day. Problem is, what weekend is free to do it at this time of year? And would the PL agree to postpone their fixtures on that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is not as if it is a new thing for the semi finals to be on at the same time as premier league games, it is just that there is more live fooball on tv now and still only certain times the games can kick off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Wembley has rocked for today's game in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Such a shame the BBC has to share coverage too. Used to be the only totally free to air English club games. BT getting stuff like this and the Champions League totally limits the reach of those competitions. Great for them now as they rake in the money, but down the line they'll suffer I reckon, as younger fans simply grow up not giving a toss about a competition they barely ever get to see.

I doubt anyone under 30 is dependant on television to watch football tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JPA wrote: »

It's not so much the FA Cup and the PL competing with each other as the tv channels.

They both want something to show and aren't gonna give the other a free run at a majority of the afternoon's tv football viewers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement