Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking over home phone number from deceased father.

Options
  • 21-04-2017 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My father, whom I lived with, recently died. We were Eir customers, for TV, Broadband and phone. I called Eir to inform them and cancel service on the 7th of April, as I decided to switch to Virgin. Installation of Virgin broadband and phone went seamlessly, but when I tried to port the home number it didn't work.
    I called Eir yesterday, to find out they had not cancelled the service but added another month. The woman I talked to told me to call back today and it would be sorted out. I did. The guy I talked to told me that they could not release the number as it was not my account! This is ridiculous. Ids this not a special circumstance? I've been dealin g with the broadband for years, have access to all accounts, etc. It's my home phone number since I was 4 years old. Surely I can have it back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cancel old account, Order eir or Pure Telecom phone on the internet or over the phone, you'll get the old number again, and an account number, then port it to VM, whilst cancelling eir within your 14 day cooling off period.

Worth noting that Pure telecom have no contract on their phone product, so would be a safer bet.

The issue is that the number isn't technically yours, so this is a way around this.

Unless eir can sort something for you, which I think would be a data protection breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 turbodog

Thanks for the reply, but, how would that work? The problem is Eir won't release the number to me. Why would they release the number to Pure Telecom? Also if they would release the number to Pure Telecom, why wouldn't they release it to Virgin? Same issue with Eir as far as I can see. The dude from Eir tech support said I should have taken over Dad's account instead of closing it. Of course, they didn't tell me this at the time. 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The number is geographical, so basically if your relatives account is cancelled, you just need to start an account using the same line in your own name to get that phone number.
    You can then transfer it legitimately as its yours to transfer.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

turbodog wrote: »
    My father, whom I lived with, recently died. We were Eir customers, for TV, Broadband and phone. I called Eir to inform them and cancel service on the 7th of April, as I decided to switch to Virgin. Installation of Virgin broadband and phone went seamlessly, but when I tried to port the home number it didn't work.
    I called Eir yesterday, to find out they had not cancelled the service but added another month. The woman I talked to told me to call back today and it would be sorted out. I did. The guy I talked to told me that they could not release the number as it was not my account! This is ridiculous. Ids this not a special circumstance? I've been dealin g with the broadband for years, have access to all accounts, etc. It's my home phone number since I was 4 years old. Surely I can have it back?
    Hi turbodog,

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear this.

If you would like to PM me your account number, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement