Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section vs birth experience

Options
  • 21-04-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi all, First of all I would like to state that I am not looking for medical advice on this forum. I am looking to get some input from experiences that you have had with C sections. Eg how did you find the experience impacted you? did you recover well? would you do it again if given the choice? :)

I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to share some of your C section experiences? I gave birth a number of years ago and recovery was pretty quick which was great.

Since my last pregnancy I injured my tailbone quite severely. It took about 7-8 months to heal and I was in significant pain a lot of the time, driving etc was a nightmare, sitting for prolonged periods of time (I have quite a high pain tolerance too!). I still can't do certain exercise with it 2 years later. Looking back I should have gotten it seen by a doctor but even if it was fractured / broken I knew there was nothing that could be done to speed it up healing so I didn't get anything confirmed with doctor so I just got on with things and it eventually healed.

I am 26 weeks now and it is causing me a lot of bother again the last few weeks. Eg sitting down for more than a few minutes is causing it to hurt and sometimes even when I cough!!

I have researched this issue and rein-jury commonly occurs when giving birth and would like to talk to a doctor about the possibility of a c section next week. I can't get any X-rays done at the moment unfortunately....

If this is re-injured during birth it will be *extremely* difficult for me to try to breastfeed and sit for prolonged periods of time :( It was also *extremely* difficult to do a lot of things when I injured it before for months, not just weeks.

I know that a c section is major surgery and can not be taken lightly however I do feel that it will be easier and quicker for me to recover compared to re-injuring my tailbone again. I am relatively fit and active even now but I am becoming increasingly anxious about recovery after birth. The last time I gave birth I was allowed go over for 12 days, I nearly ended up having an emergency C section anyway due to fetal distress and would like to try avoid as much stress as possible this time so I want to discuss options as opposed to hoping for the best.

I am not concerned about pain during birth as I will elect for an epidural anyway....its the recovery I am worried about.

I am just looking for input on c section vs birth experiences pros cons etc :)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

My gang are now in their late teens/twenties. But my experiences may help.

The first was epidural and forceps.
    The second was general anaesthetic and section
    The third was gas and "normal" (cord was around his neck 3 times but thankfully he was fine).

I had the section because we knew DD2 was going to be big. In the event she arrived in at over 10lbs 8oz.

After the first couple of days, I actually felt better after the section than I did after the other two. And the great thing is that after a section you can talk about your stitches whereas after a natural birth you can't

There was always a question over the third pregnancy as to whether I would have a section or not. I eventually just let things sort themselves out. My obstetrician monitored me throughout the labour and his preference was for me not to have one so I didn't. But had the child been in distress I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Thats nice to know that you recovered ok from c section well. I am hoping to just have more of a plan this time as I don't want to wait and see what happens this time with the injury :)Maybe ignorance was bliss the last time but I am hoping to have some sort of a plan this time

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

I was in labour for 9 hours but then my babies heart rate dropped dramatically and I had to have a crash section (general anaesthetic and section). Thankfully everything went fine and I found recovery was great after the section. Obviously I wasn't awake for the surgery so I'm not sure what type of pressure I would have felt but they gave me a lot of pain relief afterwards and I rarely felt the incision. I was up and about that night and was allowed to shower. Found it very uncomfortable sitting in the car on the way home and I over did it a couple of times over the first few weeks and I felt uncomfortable when I did. I'd definitely like a section next time mainly so I could guarantee that I'd see my baby when they were born.

From what I have heard is that people can recover from them more quickly than I expected. I briefly mentioned my concerns to a member of staff at the maternity hospital last week and he seemed a little dismissive of my concerns and this has made me a little anxious.....I would like to plan things a little more this time if possible. I understand that patients need to be aware of risks but it was as if the staff member had rote learned all the statistics and called them out one by one of what can go wrong with a c section as opposed to discussing it with me. I also understand it was nearly 6 o clock by the time he had seen me so maybe he had had his fill of patients for the day :D I am hoping to meet a consultant on my next visit so maybe they may be able to discuss my options in more detail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Having had an emergency c section with my son I would happily do it again, and an elective/scheduled section is a much more peaceful event than an emergency one. I had an epidural and then brief gas and air for the stitching up as I could feel it, hated the gas and air though. I was in special care afterwards as was my son so that wouldn't usually happen for an elcs but I was ill. Day 2 was rough in fairness, midwife got me up and moving and I briefly hated her, thought I was crocked. But by that evening I was doing better, I had Difene once after surgery and panadol for the next 4 days.

Getting up and moving is key, I had to visit my son every 3-6 hours in scbu to feed him so I was up and about a lot from day 2. Night feeds were tough when we got home because I had to get my husband to pick baby up and hand him to me, I just couldn't sit and lean quickly or without a lot of stinging. By day 11 I was out for walks, Pilates from 14 weeks, and my scar healed perfectly, half of it has faded now two years later.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,030 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

After my section I was very sore for 2 weeks. Standing, sitting, walking, moving, sneezing, coughing, laughing, pee-ing, poop-ing, all hurt. After 2 weeks it didn't hurt quite so much but I was still minding myself.

It's major surgery but if it's needed, then it's needed. And once you're not stupid about your recovery and pushing yourself to be superwoman then you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Had an emergency c-section with my first, not a great experience, recovery difficult, a first infection a week later and a week in hospital, then a skin infection on the scar some weeks later. I was told it was all more likely because I had gone through the whole labour.
    For the second I demanded a c-section. I had no faith in the obs and hospital I have to attend, and I had to fight to have it my way as they were pushing for a Vbac.

Best thing I ever did.
    This time, I was in good form for the birth, able to greet my baby and somewhat enjoy the hours afterwards (drugs spoil the fun slightly).
    Had to get up and walk within 8 hours or so, it was a bit hard at first, but once you've done it you're fine and back on track. No infection and a quick recovery that time.
    It's different for everyone I guess. For me, that elective c-section was important as the first birth had been such a traumatic experience.

Had an emergency c-section with my first, not a great experience, recovery difficult, a first infection a week later and a week in hospital, then a skin infection on the scar some weeks later. I was told it was all more likely because I had gone through the whole labour.
    For the second I demanded a c-section. I had no faith in the obs and hospital I have to attend, and I had to fight to have it my way as they were pushing for a Vbac.

Best thing I ever did.
    This time, I was in good form for the birth, able to greet my baby and somewhat enjoy the hours afterwards (drugs spoil the fun slightly).
    Had to get up and walk within 8 hours or so, it was a bit hard at first, but once you've done it you're fine and back on track. No infection and a quick recovery that time.
    It's different for everyone I guess. For me, that elective c-section was important as the first birth had been such a traumatic experience.

This is something I am concerned about and I am apprehensive that my concerns won't be listened to. When I asked about possibility of c section I felt I was fobbed off and told to consider squatting instead😖 I assume this can't be done without an epidural? I admire people who go down the natural route but for me it's not something I would even consider with modern medicine 😊

When the staff member was calling out all the statistics to me I felt that it was if he was discouraging me from even considering this as an option. I wonder is it hospital policy to discourage c sections?

I felt for my last birth I was discouraged from even getting the epidural but I insisted that I wanted it😊

My last pregnancy had complications and looking back it would have made more sense to get a c section as I nearly ended up getting one as emergency anyway😖 the more I think about it the more worried I am becoming. I've to wait a few weeks for physio and am hoping they'll be able to give me some advice as I'm don't think my concerns will be even listened to.

I've had 4 children. The last baby came naturally with no pain relief because there just wasn't time. I couldn't even use gas and air because on the others it just made me drowsy and sick. The labour pains were strong, but not unbearable. And the birth itself was fine. I can hand on my heart say if I had my time over I would opt to have done them all without pain relief.

It's not actually that bad! Well it wasn't for me, anyway, and I think you mentioned you have a high pain threshold. I absolutely was 100% for getting the epidural again but it didn't work that way. And it was a completely different labour. Completely. I now understand why health professionals try to encourage it. Would never have entertained it beforehand though.

If you need a section for medical reasons your consultant will discuss it with you. If you feel you were fobbed off you have to be mindful of how many women they meet in the course of their job who ask for sections for whatever reason, and see it as the easier option. And I would like to believe hospitals discourage sections if not medically necessary! Sections are abdominal surgery. Something not to be performed lightly.

But again, I will stress, whilst you might have felt fobbed off, possibly by someone who didn't fully know your history, your consultant will talk it through with you. And he will make a judgement based on what he believes is medically best for you.

Try not to stress too much about it.

Edit: I had a genuine worry on my last baby, and felt it was more or less brushed over at one appointment. Possibly because of the way I brought it up. I mentioned it but maybe downplayed it a bit, not wanting to come across as over anxious. The next time I saw my consultant I brought it, with more confidence and we talked about it. He reassured me and promised he would make sure I was looked after in the event of it happening. I was much more at ease after that. I'm not anxious at all, ever, about anything! But this was something that I was concerned about. And as it happened, the consultant DID look after me and made sure I was happy.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    This is something I am concerned about and I am apprehensive that my concerns won't be listened to. When I asked about possibility of c section I felt I was fobbed off and told to consider squatting instead😖 I assume this can't be done without an epidural? I admire people who go down the natural route but for me it's not something I would even consider with modern medicine 😊

When the staff member was calling out all the statistics to me I felt that it was if he was discouraging me from even considering this as an option. I wonder is it hospital policy to discourage c sections?

I felt for my last birth I was discouraged from even getting the epidural but I insisted that I wanted it😊

My last pregnancy had complications and looking back it would have made more sense to get a c section as I nearly ended up getting one as emergency anyway😖 the more I think about it the more worried I am becoming. I've to wait a few weeks for physio and am hoping they'll be able to give me some advice as I'm don't think my concerns will be even listened to.

I think you're right, they don't listen.
    That's my experience of a small hospital anyway.
    I felt treated like cattle the first time around, and I blame them for a lot of factors that came into play, and led, imo, to an emergency c-section and a traumatic experience.
    I had to fight with the obstetrician at every appointment for the second pregnancy. She was dead set on me trying for Vbac.
    I did my research.
    Found that yes indeed, Vbac does seem successful in a lot of instances, but specific hospitals in Ireland, at the time anyway (2007-birth 2008), did not release their statistics.
    Since my problem was with the staff, hygiene, and procedures of that particular hospital, nothing short of their own statistics would convince me.

I mean yeah, Vbac may be a brilliant option when doctors/nurses are performant and attentive, when you are guaranteed to have your own obs or another obs you know on call when you give birth, when other conditions (staffing, hygiene...) are satisfied. If you feel your hospital, your doctors are great, and that they will deal with your pain or specific problems, in other words if you trust them, then it does seem easier to go along with that.

The hospital I was going to far from ticked any of these boxes, and had no statistic available on their own performance re-Vbac. So I fought.

At my last appointment, when the nurse handed over my file to the obstetrician in front of me, in the corridor, the obs said : "she's not with me anymore, give it to X" (that was a locum obs, in another room). She didn't even salute me, and went back into her room.

There must have been a record of my persistent requests for a c-section on the file, because the kind X greeted me with a : "so, we're setting the date for your c-section today !".

I wish it didn't have to be this way, I hated having to fight for it.

Good luck with your choices, and if you feel it's very important for you, then good luck with the fight, it is worth it in the end.
    I wonder if you could get advice from someone completely outside of your own hospital environment, like a private midwife or a private/different obstetrician ?

edit : just to be precise, in my case a very heavy factor against a Vbac was that I had had a very hard time with this "infection" (I was never clearly told what infection by the way, but it was in the womb I believe), and I was told infections are much more likely when you go through labour prior to the c-section.
    I was repeatedly told of the high success of Vbacs, and every time I mentioned that well yes, success would be great, but in the event of problems I would have to have a c-section "after labour has started" and therefore a higher probability of infection, I was fobbed off.
    That's just not good enough for me. I think women should really have access to transparent, comprehensive statistics, not just UK or country-wide ones.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had an emergency section. I had an epidural which was topped up, and was awake and alert throughout. I got to see my baby right away (they had to check the airways immediately prior to the first cry for meconium) my partner held him while I was getting stitched up, and I got skin to skin right after that, for hours in fact - because I was immobile, the nurses were happy to let the baby sleep in with me -there was no chance I'd roll over on him IYKWIM.

Recovery was fine, I healed well without complications, the incision scar is small and very neat and is so discreet that I'd struggle to find it.

Day two was the toughest, but they get you up and moving and the Difene /panadol will help. After day 5, the worst part was those surgical stockings as I'd given birth in a heatwave and they were a PITA. I struck a bargain with the PHN that I could take them off if I did a gentle walk every day after week 3.

Breastfeeding was not a problem, no complications there either, and I breastfed him until he self weaned.

I think I'd be more nervous of a vaginal birth if I had to go again - but that's probably the fear of the unknown, and I know what a CS entails.

Oh God yes the stockings :( Six weeks of them in summer heat, not fun or stylish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks for this thread. Really useful. I am 31 weeks pregnant at the moment. Unfortunately my first pregnancy ended in the stillbirth of my son at 41+4. It wasn't labour related- he died a few hours before my labour started. Labour itself was emotionally very difficult but physically very straight forward.

On this pregnancy I'll be induced early- somewhere between 37 and 39 weeks- mainly for my own anxiety but also to minimise the risk. My consultant is keen to induce rather than section. I would much prefer induction. I was physically fine within an hour of Max being born and I'm also hoping to breast feed etc if this little guy makes it- but I am so scared of getting that far and then losing him in labour. I have this recurring image of being told he's in distress and being so frozen in terror that I can't do anything. A section just sounds so much more controlled and safer for the baby. I'm just finding the decision so hard but these stories are so helpful. Xx

Thumpette, I'm so sorry for your loss. My friend went through similar. On her second baby her doctor noticed her anxiety levels at an appointment and brought her in on bed rest from week 36. She was to be induced at 38, but he ended up inducing her at 37+5! Because he told her there was no need to wait, and she admits he noticed at 37+4 that she was having a particularly bad day. (She said this nearly set her anxiety through the roof because she wasn't 'ready'!!! But when her baby was delivered safely it all evaporated!)

She has a very healthy, cheeky, beautiful 5 year old now, getting ready to start school in September.

I wish you well with your new bundle. No mother should ever have to go through what you and my friend did.

Thumpette, I'm so sorry for your loss. My friend went through similar. On her second baby her doctor noticed her anxiety levels at an appointment and brought her in on bed rest from week 36. She was to be induced at 38, but he ended up inducing her at 37+5! Because he told her there was no need to wait, and she admits he noticed at 37+4 that she was having a particularly bad day. (She said this nearly set her anxiety through the roof because she wasn't 'ready'!!! But when her baby was delivered safely it all evaporated!)

She has a very healthy, cheeky, beautiful 5 year old now, getting ready to start school in September.

I wish you well with your new bundle. No mother should ever have to go through what you and my friend did.

Thanks, sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I've been in the hospital so many times in the past couple of weeks they may as well just move me in! The anxiety is indescribable but I know if we get to hear this little guy's first cries it will all be worth the worry xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh Thumpette I'm so very happy for you to hear you are pregnant and due any day now. One of my best friends gave birth to her beautiful stillborn baby girl several years ago and subsequently has had a gorgeous little boy to add to her brood but I know her entire pregnancy with him was beset with horrendous anxiety. It all went very well for her and her medical team were so kind and sympathetic given what she'd been through. I'm sending you and your little one so much love and positive thoughts. xx

OP, in answer to your question I have two gorgeous little fellows, both delivered by elective C-Sections. There's a lot to recommend it although I found it frustrating not to be able to lift my super affectionate toddler when I was recovering from having my second little dote who arrived in December. Just make sure you're vigilant about keeping on top of your pain meds and to really rest for that crucial first 10-14 days and you'll be fine. Very annoying not being able to drive for six weeks but if it's essential you can get a medical note prior to that. Best advice is to be up and lightly active as soon as you can post op. Best of luck.

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh Thumpette I'm so very happy for you to hear you are pregnant and due any day now. One of my best friends gave birth to her beautiful stillborn baby girl several years ago and subsequently has had a gorgeous little boy to add to her brood but I know her entire pregnancy with him was beset with horrendous anxiety. It all went very well for her and her medical team were so kind and sympathetic given what she'd been through. I'm sending you and your little one so much love and positive thoughts. xx

OP, in answer to your question I have two gorgeous little fellows, both delivered by elective C-Sections. There's a lot to recommend it although I found it frustrating not to be able to lift my super affectionate toddler when I was recovering from having my second little dote who arrived in December. Just make sure you're vigilant about keeping on top of your pain meds and to really rest for that crucial first 10-14 days and you'll be fine. Very annoying not being able to drive for six weeks but if it's essential you can get a medical note prior to that. Best advice is to be up and lightly active as soon as you can post op. Best of luck.

Thanks so much Merkin. A positive outcome feels like such a pipe dream even now but every time this little guy gives me a good hard kick I have hope. It's indescribably terrifying though- glad to hear your friend's little rainbow baby made it xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Let's not give advise that goes against a person's doctor's advise. I've deleted a post that did exactly that.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share all of your experiences. I know the medical team help and advise but it is very encouraging to here both sides from people who have delivered. Even reading some of the stories has helped me stop worrying about it so much. My first point of contact in terms of any medical are was a couple of weeks ago and due to the fact I am 26 weeks I thought that I was leaving it too late in terms of delivery plans. I spoke to staff today and they said that its far too early to consider the delivery and that I have plenty of time left which is reassuring (I think?).

I think this thread is quite beneficial as it is good to find out experiences from both types of delivery which means they don't seem as scary. If I do end up having a c section I will have more of an idea of what to expect which is very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've had both types of delivery, 6 pregnancies, I've had 4 fairly straightforward natural births , one highly traumatic induction that left the baby in special care and me with an ongoing injury. A section would've prevented this but they were so keen to avoid a section, I was pleading with them not to induce me. I was a week late but I went 2 weeks over with all but my first pregnancy.

My last birth. Last week was an emergency section. That makes it sound hectic but it was such a relaxed birth. I think our fears can overwhelm us sometimes. Fear of the unknown.
    I would never have opted for a section. It's major surgery. I have other kids to look after and I need to be mobile.
    The baby needed to come out. He hadn't moved in 12 hours.
    I still wish I didn't have a section, lol. I can't drive, i have to self inject with blood thinners for 6 weeks and wear these fecking stocking for 6 WEEKS. But hey, my baby is alive and safe.
    My 5th birth was so traumatic that I needed counselling after each consultant appointment. I broke down in the delivery room during the scan , just before the decision was made to section me. I had to have the hospital counseller come in to help me.
    I didn't want induction this time, or a section. By working with the counselling dept in the hospital I was listened to and was granted permission ( :) ) to go 2 weeks over as I did on my first 4 pregnancies.
    He arrived 6 weeks early :)
    Man plans, God laughs.

I can't laugh cos it hurts :D

• Advertisement

cbyrd wrote: »
    I can't laugh cos it hurts :D

I remember that ! or sneeze :D
    Good luck with the recovery, God, I'm impressed with your hospital, they seem great with counselling and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

OP I had an emergency section and I was up and out of bed less than 12 hours later, out of hospital in 5 days, and back driving certified by the doctor after 5 weeks. It was my first pregnancy and at 2 weeks overdue I was told baby had disengaged and I was unfavourable for induction and I was unlikely to go into labour on my own and they wanted to book me in for an elective section. I was devastated as I had planned a natural birth and took this news hard. I digested the news at home with my hubby and thankfully he helped me get my head out of my butt and see the bigger better picture - all that matter was the safe and healthy arrival of our baby. Decision made I prepared myself for the section (a hospital bag for a section requires A LOT more so I would advise every woman to have a section bag packed and ready for your birthing partner to grab if needed), I spoke to a friend who gave me great advice to prepare me for the surgery itself (think of your abdomen as a handbag and the doctor is rooting around for their keys is how she described it).

All that done I ended up going in labour naturally afterall. I laboured for 27 hours and unfortunately baby just wasnt descending so then it was off to theatre for the section. I had an epi and it was topped up. my lovely midwife stuck with my birthing plan in that when baby was born it was my hubby who got to tell me that we had a beautiful baby girl. My hubby held her first while they finished the surgery then I got skin to skin and breastfed her while they were stitching me up. because I laboured my milk came in within the 3 days (it can take up to 5 after a section - my advice is keep giving baby colostrum and the milk will follow). The midwife on my ward helped with lifting her to me that night (she was born late in the evening so my poor hubby was kicked out) for feeding and cuddling but by about 8 hours after the surgery I was able to do it myself and by the time hubby was back in the hospital that morning i had the catheder (terrible spelling) out and had been for a shower. All in all my experience with both the labor and section was very positive. I did have an issue with my bowels slowing after 2 weeks and causing me a lot of pain but my gp prescribed something and that sorted it out.

Thumpette I am very sorry for you loss and in total admiration of you and how you spoke about your experience. If you would feel more comfortable with a section i would push for it. I am lucky in that I have never been in your position and I cannot imagine what you have been through. My babys heart rate plummeted at one point during labor and I had a team of doctors rush in - they had me on a drip they use in inductions to speed up contractions and it didnt agree with her. Apparently this can be common but harmless (thanks to the extended monitoring and constant trace you are given on a drip) so ask your consultant about that because I would think if that were to happen you would find it very difficult to cope with. I havent gone through what you had and luckily didnt have the same anxiety to deal with but I still threw up out of pure fear when it happened. As well as this I think there is a fairly substantial connection between induction rates and emergency sections anyway as inductions are more likely to lead to sections. I found breastfeeding was no bother after a section and there are things you can do to help your milk come in such as eating certain things (I have a recipe for these oat bars that are great for milk supply if you want it). But also if you cant who the hell cares as long as baby gets here safe and sound.

Advice to you and the OP if you go for a section:

Take ALL the meds offered afterwards and dont wait for the pain to kick in to take them
    Drink peppermint tea as the trapped air can be crippling and this sorts it right out
    Have peppermint capsules at home for the same reason
    Have a stool softener ready in case you need it
    Pack a heftier hospital bag for a longer stay for you and baby
    Have a section birthing plan (what type of stitching do you want, do you want skin to skin, do you want pictures etc)
    When you get home avoid going up and down stairs - bring everything you need for the day downstairs for you and baby
    Enjoy the excuse to rest up on the couch with constant newborn squishy cuddles

if either of you want to PM me on anything I have written feel free. I am happy to help in whatever way I can. Wishing you both a happy and healthy pregnancy and safe delivery - whatever option you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Can I go slightly off topic and ask about these stockings a few people have mentioned?

I had a c section on my first and am opting for one again on my second.
    My c section experience is very positive. After 3 days of failed inductions I was only too happy when the consultant came to tell me that a section was the next step.
    I recovered much faster than I expected. Up and walking (slowly) within hours. Discharged 72hrs after the operation, and back driving after 4 weeks. (My gp wrote a note which is only needed in the event of a crash. You need the note for your insurance company in case you end up having to claim within 6 weeks of a major surgery apparently).

However - I was never told about these mysterious stockings! :)

I am worried about a second section in the sense that I now also have a toddler to look after. I imagine that might slow recovery down as the temptation to overdo things at times will be higher.

Witty they're compression stockings to help prevent dvt, clots, or help with swelling. In my case I had pre eclampsia, lots of sudden swelling so I had to wear them as soon as I was admitted even before he was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Witty they're compression stockings to help prevent dvt, clots, or help with swelling. In my case I had pre eclampsia, lots of sudden swelling so I had to wear them as soon as I was admitted even before he was born.

Thanks for that. That makes sense.
    I'm guessing I didn't need them since they were never mentioned to me.

Thanks

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That makes sense.
    I'm guessing I didn't need them since they were never mentioned to me.

Thanks

Usually they give them to women after sections because the asusmption is you won't be moving much and are at risk of dvt but most women now are up and moving loads, not staying in bed for 3-5 days after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

WittyName1 wrote:
    However - I was never told about these mysterious stockings!

Yes, they're compression stockings , big white sexy looking yokes .. lol... it varies from woman to woman as to how long you need them. I was initially told 10 days with 10 days of innohep injections (blood thinners) but on day 3 I was told because of various factors (age and amount of births) I would have do it for 6 weeks. Those injections sting like a mother f...

Mine were sexy green ones. Two pairs, constantly being washed to wear during a hot April & May, horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I had them when I was going into theatre and then afterwards until I got my shower but then I was up and about walking (very slowly) up and down the ward so they didnt bother giving them to me after that then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

OP, I have no experience of natural birth but I have had 2 sections, one emergency and one planned and the difference between them was enormous.

The emergency one with my first baby was emotionally and physically traumatic and the recovery was really difficult. I was on pain relief for a long time and I think it was several months before I felt physically normal again. When I started driving again at 6 weeks it was quite sore.

My second baby was born safely by planned c-section 7 weeks ago. I was terrified but the whole experience was different. I was able to do a birth plan and I got all of my wishes for a gentle caesarean with immediate skin to skin, delayed cord clamping etc. I only needed pain relief for about a week and the doctor signed me off to drive at 3 weeks.

My first baby died in NICU at 4 days old so I'm sure the trauma of that impacted on my recovery, but there was a significant physical factor as well. I think with a planned one they can take more time, which makes a big difference to how much physical pain is caused. It's also much less risky if you're not in labour during the surgery.

I would agree with what the hospital staff have told you in that it is very early to make a decision. Anything could happen closer to the time that could make the decision for you, eg breech baby etc. In my case, I spent a lot of time worrying and trying to decide early on but, in the end, the baby's size combined with a previous caesarean scar and my extreme SPD meant I had a very small chance of a successful vbac. I wanted to avoid the risk of another emergency section at all costs so the planned one was the only viable option in the end.

So I would advise you to try to enjoy your pregnancy and not think about delivery until later on. You should have a better picture of the chances of a trouble free natural birth closer to the time and your consultant should advise you then. Like you, I wanted to have a plan in place but, in retrospect, I wish I had waited until later to start trying to decide. I had wasted so much time weighing up pros and cons early on but, in the end, circumstances meant there was really no decision.

Thumpette, I really feel for you and I know first hand how difficult a second pregnancy is after losing a baby. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I found it almost impossible to even imagine a positive outcome. I thought I would never get through it but my little girl is here now and the relief is indescribable. I'm sure it will be the same for you very soon. You're welcome to PM me if you need some support. The last few weeks are the scariest time but you are nearly there. x

Advertisement