Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section vs birth experience

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

OP, I have no experience of natural birth but I have had 2 sections, one emergency and one planned and the difference between them was enormous.

The emergency one with my first baby was emotionally and physically traumatic and the recovery was really difficult. I was on pain relief for a long time and I think it was several months before I felt physically normal again. When I started driving again at 6 weeks it was quite sore.

My second baby was born safely by planned c-section 7 weeks ago. I was terrified but the whole experience was different. I was able to do a birth plan and I got all of my wishes for a gentle caesarean with immediate skin to skin, delayed cord clamping etc. I only needed pain relief for about a week and the doctor signed me off to drive at 3 weeks.

My first baby died in NICU at 4 days old so I'm sure the trauma of that impacted on my recovery, but there was a significant physical factor as well. I think with a planned one they can take more time, which makes a big difference to how much physical pain is caused. It's also much less risky if you're not in labour during the surgery.

I would agree with what the hospital staff have told you in that it is very early to make a decision. Anything could happen closer to the time that could make the decision for you, eg breech baby etc. In my case, I spent a lot of time worrying and trying to decide early on but, in the end, the baby's size combined with a previous caesarean scar and my extreme SPD meant I had a very small chance of a successful vbac. I wanted to avoid the risk of another emergency section at all costs so the planned one was the only viable option in the end.

So I would advise you to try to enjoy your pregnancy and not think about delivery until later on. You should have a better picture of the chances of a trouble free natural birth closer to the time and your consultant should advise you then. Like you, I wanted to have a plan in place but, in retrospect, I wish I had waited until later to start trying to decide. I had wasted so much time weighing up pros and cons early on but, in the end, circumstances meant there was really no decision.

Thumpette, I really feel for you and I know first hand how difficult a second pregnancy is after losing a baby. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I found it almost impossible to even imagine a positive outcome. I thought I would never get through it but my little girl is here now and the relief is indescribable. I'm sure it will be the same for you very soon. You're welcome to PM me if you need some support. The last few weeks are the scariest time but you are nearly there. x

Thanks Waterfaerie. I'm so sorry for your loss too. Had no idea how terrifying this was going to be. After fertility treatment and eventually successful IVF I thought pregnancy would feel easier- but every day I'm convinced he's gone. Still, clinging tightly to hope when I can manage it xxx

Congrats on your rainbow baby 🌈

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beautythecat

Hi OP

Just a quick reply to you as I need to wake dd in a moment.
    I had my first baby at age 47 - elective c-section (age, ivf etc). Recovery really good. I was up on my feet next morning in hospital and moving about well.
    Elective (slightly an emergency as she came 3 days early and so, classed emergency even though there was no emergency) on Monday my second baby at age 50. Again, fast recovery - up and walking the corridors of the hospital next day. Midwives were somewhat stunned but I have always been stubborn!
    Recovery at home with a rambuctious 3 year old was fine but he had to be reminded to be careful with me for a bit.
    I was back driving after 10 days on my first and the day after I got home on my second. I know - not supposed to for 6 weeks. But you can if your obstetrician signs you off as fit and mine was happy to.

It's totally do-able, especially if you're fit. I walk a lot which I think helped. That's the only real exercise I get. Take the pain meds. There's also an herbal tablet the name of which eludes me right now (baby brain!) which you take from before the section and continue on for as long as you need after. It doesn't interfere with breastfeeding. Just little chewable tablets.
    Dd now waking. Gotta go. OP, you can do it. Just be fit and determined!
    Good luck over the coming weeks!
    😉

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Had an emergency c section after being in labour for 56 hours (induction etc) last year! I hadn't slept in 2 days and after a series of complications and baby stalling at 4 cm during labour I was brought down for cs. I had a really tough time but I think it was lack of sleep rather than the cs..think I slept max 10 hours in 6 days. I would say don't be worried about the section itself,..the hardest part is the recovery. 8 weeks on though I was back playing sport and totally back to normal!

Advertisement