Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Study Material For Ham Radio License.

• 21-04-2017 10:03pm

If anyone can point me in the right direction please ?

Realistically , how long should it take on average before I should be able to take the exam ?

I should have got the licence years ago but never had the room for a shack, antennas etc until now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

All the info you need is at hamradio.ie and irts.ie/cgi/st.cgi?downloads

There is a course guide and a sample paper.

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks if you understand the stuff. A basic understanding of electronics is a big help. You are probably best setting a target of the exam session in the Autumn and work towards that. And join your local radio club - a lot of them run classes subject to demand but even if they don't its better to have someone to turn to if you need something explained.

And the most important thing is that you need 60% in each paper not 100% to pass - there is no absolute need to understand everything, eg if you are struggling with D, E & F layers it is only going to be 1 question or maybe 2 at worst.

Thanks, I have a friend who is a licensed and active ham operator but he wouldn't be the best to ask about finding study material on the internet but perhaps I'll ask him for whatever he's got in paper form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Everything you need is in the links I gave you - just follow the course guide

Advertisement