Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Sunglasses

Options
  • 21-04-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

For the new season I need to buy a new pair of sunglasses after my last pair of trusted €5 decathlon glasses broke. It was my first season on the bike so just wanted something cheap and cheerful and they worked out grand for what I needed at the time.

I'm looking at getting a decent pair around €60 and maybe an extremely good pair at around €150-200 if it's really worth it.

Anyone with any suggestions....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seen some Oakley's on sale for €100 or so on Chain reaction, not to everyone's taste but I think they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I got a pair of these http://www.so-cycle.com/en/brands/force/sunglasses/1
    The yellow pair. You get three different lenses with them. Got them in TMG cycles in Skerries think they were about €40. I have a pair of Oakley Jawbreakers now but can't fault the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

dahat wrote: »
    Seen some Oakley's on sale for €100 or so on Chain reaction, not to everyone's taste but I think they are fantastic.

Great thanks, I'd have to try them on before buying as there quite big in size. Does anywhere in Ireland have a good stock of them? I was thinking that shop in blanchardstown 53 degrees North?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Canyon have a huge'ish range of glasses, most at sale prices. I recently got a pair of Uvex 612 Vario and they are great. Blub about Vario...
    "Variomatic lenses respond to light conditions - ensuring perfect vision no matter the weather"

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/?category=2708#id=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Richies in Swords have a few pairs in. I got a pair of BBB ones two or three years ago, with photochromic lenses for €80.
    They're my go to shades for commuting and most spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I have 2 pairs of Tifosi sunglass's.One pair has 3 interchangable lens,the other pair darken as the sun comes out.Really like them,great frames and quality lens.Apparently they outsell Oakley in USA amongst cyclist's,as Tifosi are available in bike shops and Oakley are moving away from selling in bikeshops,and concentrating on selling their glass's in opticians.
    I got mine in Eurocycles in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Uvex from chain reaction. Good quality and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought three pairs of F-Oakley Jawbreakers on AliExpress (3 different colours) I am forever dropping and losing glasses so no chance I'll spend any more than a tenner on a pair.

I do have a pair of photochromic Uvex glasses which I use in winter as they're very light colour in dull conditions but go surprisingly dark when the sun comes out and suit winter use moreso than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Sunglasses were the bain of my life as I have a stright nose, so they tend to slip down, leaving a gap at the top where the sun blinds me. I got a pair of POC blades off of a neighbour and problem solved. I don't even know I'm wearing them, worth avery penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

I bought three pairs of F-Oakley Jawbreakers on AliExpress (3 different colours) I am forever dropping and losing glasses so no chance I'll spend any more than a tenner on a pair.

I do have a pair of photochromic Uvex glasses which I use in winter as they're very light colour in dull conditions but go surprisingly dark when the sun comes out and suit winter use moreso than summer.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/club-rider-counts-cost-of-crashing-while-wearing-imitation-oakleys/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

G1032 wrote: »

It's ok I don't race.

I wonder how he would have faired if he'd been wearing €3.99 glasses from Aldi/Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

golfer555 wrote: »
    For the new season I need to buy a new pair of sunglasses after my last pair of trusted €5 decathlon glasses broke. It was my first season on the bike so just wanted something cheap and cheerful and they worked out grand for what I needed at the time.

I'm looking at getting a decent pair around €60 and maybe an extremely good pair at around €150-200 if it's really worth it.

Anyone with any suggestions....?

Whatever shades you buy make sure that they are photochromic. For irish weather is all what you want. Also i am fan of Rudy Project glasses so recommend them.

sin_26 wrote: »
    Whatever shades you buy make sure that they are photochromic. For irish weather is all what you want. Also i am fan of Rudy Project glasses so recommend them.

+1 for the quality of Rudy Project. I have a pair that were my mainstay until I tried the POCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

It's ok I don't race.

I wonder how he would have faired if he'd been wearing €3.99 glasses from Aldi/Lidl.

Good question, but racing or not you can still crash. I can anyway :)
    Hope none of us ever has to find out how our glasses react in a bad crash

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

Should check out Ekoi. Loads of frame types, customisable colours, photochromatic lenses available. Sales regularly as well so can get a good deal.
    http://www.ekoi.fr/en/57-cycling-glasses
    Etixx-Quick Step use them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

G1032 wrote: »

i know someone who had the same problem with a pair of Oakley straights, if fact the arm pops out of mine leaving 2 sharp points to embedd in your face never wore them on the bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Got a pair of Oakley Radar EVs.
    Thoroughly recommend them. Great glasses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Got a pair of Oakley Radar EVs.
    Thoroughly recommend them. Great glasses.

same, mine have the prizm lens and they are worth every penny. replacing a pair of salice i had from PBK, much prefer the oakleys

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Picked up Spiuk glasses last week through Merlin and very impressed with them so far

https://www.merlincycles.com/cycling-sunglasses-75370/?brand=spiuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

mossym wrote: »
    same, mine have the prizm lens and they are worth every penny. replacing a pair of salice i had from PBK, much prefer the oakleys

I also recommend the Oakley Radar EV. I got the Road Lens version on amazon for about ?115 delivered which is about ?65 cheaper than they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

sin_26 wrote: »

I'm thinking of getting these Oakley photochromic glasses. One question the reviews I've been reading is these glasses are very good in dull conditions what are they like on a really sunny day, would they be as good? I've heard mixed reviews but mightn't be correct.

http://uk.oakley.com/en/mens/sunglasses/sport-sunglasses/flak-2-0/flak-2-0-xl-photochromic/product/W0OO9295XLPHT/?skuCode=OO9188-16&categoryCode=m020301

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

What would be the best glasses just for weekly communting in all weather types of Ireland. Don't want anything fancy something does the job and doesn't cost a packet

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What would be the best glasses just for weekly communting in all weather types of Ireland. Don't want anything fancy something does the job and doesn't cost a packet

Cheers

Aldi and Lidl have Sports/Cycling glasses from time to time. They are fine.
    I mostly use some (Velochampion) I got off ebay for about 20e with 3 lens types, Clear, Yellow and Dark. I only use them to stop crap hitting me in the eyes so I find the Yellow lens work well for most of the year. Something like the following https://www.amazon.co.uk/VeloChampion-Cycling-Running-Sports-Sunglasses/dp/B00KGTT3OY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there an equivalent of polarized lenses in cycling glasses? I wear contacts and i really cant stand wearing the cheaper normal sunglasses if there is any bit of sun

Plenty of polarized lenses out there. The only problem I've found in strong sun and puddles the puddles disppear.
    Now don't know if this is a common effect or just a combination of light and sun angle.and car windscreen. S prefer non polarizer for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Plenty of polarized lenses out there. The only problem I've found in strong sun and puddles the puddles disppear.
    Now don't know if this is a common effect or just a combination of light and sun angle.and car windscreen. S prefer non polarizer for that reason

The other problem with polarized is, it affects the look on the computer screen , definitely the old sigma, cateye type, not sure about the Garmin.

secman wrote: »
    The other problem with polarized is, it affects the look on the computer screen , definitely the old sigma, cateye type, not sure about the Garmin.
    Good point liquid crystals basically require a polarizing filter to give you the colour when it's switched on so my radio in the car is black when i have the glasses on.

Advertisement