Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charities, aren't they just one lucky dip, for some!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/109794-sipo-finds-former-waterford-charity-director-submitted-duplicate-expense-claims.html

I have nothing but contempt for charities, however well meaning they appear to be!
    What saddens me is the people at the forefront really believing that they're
    achieving something and you have this going on in the background!

I fail to see what your link about one person fiddling money has to do with your "contempt for charities".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

I would never give to any of these charities ,, ever again ..

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-charity-ceo-salaries-spending-best-practice-2659408-Mar2016/

Frank Flannery and Angela Kearns did a lot strange stuff when running Rehab

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/rehab-paid-frank-flannery-company-351-000-in-fees-1.1848194

Some charities might try to do good work,, some are just run by scum, or money grabbing scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There seems to be some expectation that those running companies with charitable status should be paid less than those running similarly sized companies which are profit making.

I fail to follow that reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There seems to be some expectation that those running companies with charitable status should be paid less than those running similarly sized companies which are profit making.

No one is arguing against that point!

If you read the link you would understand my frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

And I think miss piggy taking €240K per year when at Rehab, all while the lottery she ran made just 10K was unjust, unfair and unwarranted.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/row-erupts-between-rehab-and-justice-minister-alan-shatter-over-scratch-card-sales-29938562.html

What a joke ..

• Advertisement

There are always exceptions!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/after-raising-4m-cystic-fibrosis-charity-says-it-needs-no-more-money-448444.html

"A charity that raised the bones of €4m towards the development of cystic fibrosis (CF) facilities in a Cork hospital has made an unusual final appeal — no more funds please!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ideally there should be three distinct operational models -

1. a "Not for profit" commercial company that operates commercially but where profits are used for charitable purposes.
    Rehab would be one such company. Others would include companies in the field of social care, hospitals, religious orders etc.

2. "Large Charity Organistation" where maximum levels of operational expenses are permitted and where much of the work is voluntary. An example would be St. Vincent de Paul, ALONE, Samaritans, Jack & Jill etc etc.

3. "Artisan" charities. Income under a set threshold and operational costs below a set amount and over 50% of work being voluntary.

At present, all operate under a single set of rules. Those rules are onerous for the very small charities and possibly not suitable for the very large charities.

Personally I would not have seen an issue with any of the Rehab controversy which I belive was very much politically and media motivated. Rehab is a huge commercial operation with over €200m in income and where the profits are used to provide charitable services. To run such an operation you need to pay a near commercial pay rate. Though such a company should not be allowed to look for donations from the public and keep to a purely commercial operational model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

FYI, there are over 19,500 charities in Ireland and they receive €5.2 billion in taxpayers money each year.

The amount of duplication and waste is unreal.

However, when a politician raised the subject about homeless charities in Dublin alone (receiving around €70 million) he was slated by the opposition and the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    FYI, there are over 19,500 charities in Ireland and they receive €5.2 billion in taxpayers money each year.

The amount of duplication and waste is unreal.

However, when a politician raised the subject about homeless charities in Dublin alone (receiving around €70 million) he was slated by the opposition and the press.

That's just incredible sums of money! :eek:

Advertisement