Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are rest days important?

• 22-04-2017 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Started going the gym full time on 4th April (Was 15st 1, 6 foot 2, male, 32)

Wanted to lose excess fat caused by beer and general bad noctrunal habits and tone up.

In 18 days I've gotten my weight down to 13 st 10

I did this by going the gym every day for 18 straight days (PT 4 times a week and would attend a seperate gym myself for cardio)

Managed to drop my calories to 1600 a day too.

Obviously this isn't sustainable or healthy as my legs and arms are bloody killing me, I'm guessing due to no rest and allowing time for muscleto heal.

PT is going away now for Summer so I don't know whether I need to find a new PT or not? When I'm by myself I don't really know what to do.

Am I doing too much?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Started going the gym full time on 4th April (Was 15st 1, 6 foot 2, male, 32)

Wanted to lose excess fat caused by beer and general bad noctrunal habits and tone up.

In 18 days I've gotten my weight down to 13 st 10

I did this by going the gym every day for 18 straight days (PT 4 times a week and would attend a seperate gym myself for cardio)

Managed to drop my calories to 1600 a day too.

Obviously this isn't sustainable or healthy as my legs and arms are bloody killing me, I'm guessing due to no rest and allowing time for muscleto heal.

PT is going away now for Summer so I don't know whether I need to find a new PT or not? When I'm by myself I don't really know what to do.

Am I doing too much?

Thanks

I would say yes .. you are not giving your muscles time to recover and are probably not getting the full returns from all your training

What you did is a great achievement so maybe try add in a rest day going forward you will still get great results and feel better

One mistake though is dropping calories too fast 1600 calories is not sustainable . I was cutting body fat and still eating 2300-2500
    Calories

It will come to a point in training when everything slows down what are you going to do then cut more calories ??

I went through the very same thing but I suffered and found I was prone to binge eating so I went to a nutrionist who put me on the right path , I actually couldn't belive the amount of food in was eating and still losing body fat

I was 28% last year I am now about 9%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

^^^^

Thanks for that :)

My body fat has definitely dropped too.

Now I've nearly shed all of the beer weight, how do I go about toning my tummy/abs and developing my arms which are quite thin?

Is it advisable to get another PT as I don't really know what I'm doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

A general guide is cut until 10% then bulk

If you are looking to bulk you will need to be in a calorie surplus

You are not training a long time really so what I would say is get a pt explain your goals and leave him explain how to reach them

Thanks

Yeah you're right I'll get a PT for a month and then take it from there myself :)

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can answer your own question really.

Are you progressing towards your goal? Is the progression slowing down?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    You can answer your own question really.

Are you progressing towards your goal? Is the progression slowing down?

I've lost a very good amount of weight in a short space of time.

My slight gut has reduced aswell but still no abs and my arms seem the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

You will lose initial weight very fast once you start eating better and exercising. Getting into low body fat and visible muscle and abs is just a matter of good training, time and consistency.

But yes rest days are essential training breaks your body down rest builds it up only breaking it down will lead to injury eventually or a lack of results. Train hard and rest hard if you want to use rest days for mobility, massage or whatever you feel benefits you most.

You will lose initial weight very fast once you start eating better and exercising. Getting into low body fat and visible muscle and abs is just a matter of good training, time and consistency.

But yes rest days are essential training breaks your body down rest builds it up only breaking it down will lead to injury eventually or a lack of results. Train hard and rest hard if you want to use rest days for mobility, massage or whatever you feel benefits you most.

So use rest days as active recovery/recuperation?

A small bit of cardio? A cycle or walk/jog/run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Like everything it depends but I find it is what works best for me though it varies for people. But yes use it for active recovery go for a walk or hike or do something you enjoy (swim, jog, walk the dog) it can also help break up the daily grind of being in the gym.

Advertisement