Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up Part Time Farming

• 22-04-2017 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I currently have a 9-5 job, in the last two years I have started buying my own stock after growing up on the family farm.

Last spring I bought reared calves, sold them in the back end and bought continentals which I still have and hope to sell this December.

I was thinking of expanding, I currently have 35 continentals (spring 16 animals) and just 20 bucket calves born this year.

Would I be mad to go get a 20K stocking loan for expansion? I would have to rent more ground as I don't have any of my own, family farm is still being used.

If so is the method I am currently using the best? Rear bucket calves, try swap out for continentals and bring them into the mart at about 500kg?

Or am I just best off to continue what I can afford into the farm?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Fair play to you. Thing about renting land for beef is that beef is a low margin game. If you have no access to family farm are you already renting or have you a piece of an out farm. It really comes down to what you will pay for any land you rent. Remember as well that no access to GLAS etc as there will be no schemes until after 2019. Other issue with rented land be is if on conacre owner can pull at any stage and youThe have to access another place this can rise costs very fast. Saw this with a friend had a P!Ace taken owner did not like his system and pulled at the end of first year. He has come across another place and mind you it is cheaper to rent he is there three years now on a lease as opposed to contacts. He is adamant that he never take conacre again

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement