Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Static electricity in dunnes

• 22-04-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is but no matter what Dunnes I go into I get loads of static electricity shocks when I touch the trolley or anything else. My gf is the same, does anybody else have this problem? It's a strange one..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Call in you're Dad he will sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I don't know what it is but no matter what Dunnes I go into I get loads of static electricity shocks when I touch the trolley or anything else. My gf is the same, does anybody else have this problem? It's a strange one..

Taser residual current? They are allegedly quite strict with their staff?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I avoid dunnes because of it ! Thought it was just me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Call in you're Dad he will sort it.

He is my Uncle. Didn't you watch any cartoons in the 90's?

Don't get it in Lidl or Aldi. Must be too cheap.

Just shocked my 2 year old niece. The look of horror on her face! Blasted place!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What material is the top you are wearing? Some clothing items can cause a build up of static electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Good to see I am not the only one with this issue. I avoid taking a trolley there if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I can't ssy that I have experienced this phenomenon but I will keep an eye out got it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Deub wrote: »
    Good to see I am not the only one with this issue. I avoid taking a trolley there if I can.

My car does the same to me, I don't even have to go to Dunnes!

What material is the top you are wearing? Some clothing items can cause a build up of static electricity

Jeans, converse and a cotton t shirt. It doesn't matter what I wear, nor herself we constantly get shocks. I reckon it's the type of flooring they use across their stores. That kind of highly polished sealed link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Funny now that you say it but yes, the last few times I've gotten static shocks was actually while shopping in Dunnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You need to carry those anti-static strips some drivers use and apply to their highly charged trolleys.
    Better still ask the patent holder of the anti-static shoes to send a few free samples, but if there's a thunderstorm don't.
    Are you related to Uri 'the spoon-bender' Geller?

Screen_Shot_2017-04-22_at_12.45.11.pngScreen_Shot_2017-04-22_at_12.46.28.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

So it's not just me! Every single time I touch a trolley in Dunnes I get a static shock. I don't get a shock when I'm bringing the trolley into the store (i.e. Walking on the concrete ground) but as soon as I'm in the shop and touch it I'm guaranteed to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's gas I always get static electricity shocks from my local Dunnes escalator... and never really get it anywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Friction from the wheels generates static electricity which holds in the metal trolley until it is discharged by touching something else that is grounded......like you.

I think.

Edit: I have also heard that if you touch yourself at night, you are more prone to shopping trolley shocks.

Perverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Haven't noticed it in Dunnes specifically but I always get them from the buttons when calling a lift.

I just expect it so now i automatically pull down my sleeve to press the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can't help but laugh when it passes through me and someone goes to touch me and gets a nasty shock! I have to pretend I don't know what just happened :p

I can't help but laugh when it passes through me and someone goes to touch me and gets a nasty shock! I have to pretend I don't know what just happened :p

Sure who doesn't love being touched when out shopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

it's not static, although i understand the mistake. It pent up sexual energy. Your just too damn sexy to shop in Dunnes. you need to go off and have a shag before you set foot in it again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I get it as well ... I had to give up and leave one day it was so bad. I also get it off my keyboard at work and my poor husband will get a shock off me the odd time when he kisses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Nobody ever tries to touch me in Dunnes, I must go more often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I believe its the floor types used.

I get them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, I remember the static shock well from the last time I went to Dunnes. It's not their flooring, I got the shock when I took the trolley from the line of trolleys outside the store. It's never happened to me with a Tesco trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I got it too..
    Just hold on to the metal part of the trolly and you'll be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

That's weird, only last week I was electrocuted by the escalator going downstairs into the food hall in Dunnes St Stephen's Green!

Margaret Heffernan attracts lightening.

We have a bitch at home the very same and she has to be put in the garage during a thunderstorm. Barks her head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

That's weird, only last week I was electrocuted by the escalator going downstairs into the food hall in Dunnes St Stephen's Green!

Which reminds me, Dunnes elevators are made by Schindler's Lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I've gotten jolted from Dunnes trollies too - and the touch-screen self-checkouts too. That one surprised me, since it's from touching the screen itself. It's happened often enough (Tesco too) that I use my knuckle rather than the finger to avoid the irritating ache.

I've gotten jolts from metal railings in Dunnes and Penneys too. I avoid touching them as much as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I get it from lifts and bizarrely from the parking permit machines on the way in and out of the Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I always chalked it up to just me!
    Always happens in Dunnes now that I think of it.

Freaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This has happened to me not in Dunnes but on an escalator at a certain cinema I go too. The first time I got a shock I thought it was because of the shoes I was wearing but have wore different more grounded shoes since and still get a shock so I either don,t touch the escalator handle now or use my sleeve if I do. On the plus side at least I know now its not my shoes so I can still wear them going up it and them being higher you would think would make it harder to get a shock as there should be more resistance to one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Have the same problem.
    It's the trolley.
    If my son was acting the maggot I just put my finger to his nose to give him a shock, he usually stopped then. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The trolleys in dunes in limerick have those static strips on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I was just about to say - i noticed those static strips on the trolleys in my local Dunnes.

I am very prone to static shocks - i have long hair and i think thats something to do with it...but anyway i dont get them in Dunnes! I think youre right and its something to do with the flooring there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Point of order : you weren't electrocuted, unless you're posting from beyond the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Every time I use a trolley in Dunnes I do. I know a few who say the same. I never have this problem in other supermarkets strangely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been getting an obscene amount of static shocks lately and especially in Super Markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This problem is easily solved , just do your shopping naked.

Though be careful near the bread slicer thing and hot food.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The trolleys in dunes in limerick have those static strips on them.

I find dunnes in Childers road the worst for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find dunnes in Childers road the worst for it.

That's where they have the strips. Only saw them lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

lertsnim wrote: »
    Every time I use a trolley in Dunnes I do. I know a few who say the same. I never have this problem in other supermarkets strangely.

This ^.

I only get shocks from Dunnes trolleys and never from any of the others :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I used to work there. Felt like a generator at times. From the lifts, escalators, hangers, tills, rails and units, stock rails. Everything. The ugly uniform shirt probably helped. It was so bad I frequently passed on shocks to customers when on tills.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Happens to me in SuperValu as well.

BZZZZZZ

Advertisement