Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad wants to bring child on holiday to Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Gal44 wrote: »
    She's only six and I'm not comfortable with her been so far away from me for such a long time. She has never been away from me for more than a week in her life.

And I wouldn't like it either if I were you, and I would worry and be lonely and miss her and long for her to be home but here's the thing.
    It would be a fantastic experience for your daughter to visit with her paternal family in Australia and she will be old enough to remember it forever.
    You can make it clear to him that you want to speak to her every day that she is away on FaceTime for both of your reassurance.
    You can't deny your child this experience because of your insecurities.
    There are difficulties that have to be faced up too when you don't live with the other parent of your child and this is one of them.
    Sit down with him in her absence and talk.
    He shouldn't have mentioned it to her without running it by you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

infogiver wrote: »
    And I wouldn't like it either if I were you, and I would worry and be lonely and miss her and long for her to be home but here's the thing.
    It would be a fantastic experience for your daughter to visit with her paternal family in Australia and she will be old enough to remember it forever.
    You can make it clear to him that you want to speak to her every day that she is away on FaceTime for both of your reassurance.
    You can't deny your child this experience because of your insecurities.
    There are difficulties that have to be faced up too when you don't live with the other parent of your child and this is one of them.
    Sit down with him in her absence and talk.
    He shouldn't have mentioned it to her without running it by you first.

Will do, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

These petty insecurities and wanting to control everything to do with your child will ultimately lead to her resenting you in later life.

Don't keep her from her father unless you have genuine concerns.

I am not looking to insult you, but I honestly think you will end up harming her personal self development if you're not careful enough!

Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Elemonator wrote: »
    These petty insecurities and wanting to control everything to do with your child will ultimately lead to her resenting you in later life.

Don't keep her from her father unless you have genuine concerns.

I am not looking to insult you, but I honestly think you will end up harming her personal self development if you're not careful enough!

Best of luck OP.

She's 6 for goodness sake.

Every 6 year old is controlled by their parents and most don't end up resenting their mam and dad!

Worrying about a child travelling across the world without you is not a petty insecurity. How you deal with it of course is what matters.

The OP has been very reasonable on this thread and has taken all of the comments on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Gal44 wrote: »
    She's only six and I'm not comfortable with her been so far away from me for such a long time. She has never been away from me for more than a week in her life.

He is an equal parent and she is away from him for a week every single week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

GarIT wrote: »
    He is an equal parent and she is away from him for a week every single week.

Every 2nd weekend is different to 3-4 weeks which is what a trip to Australia would be interested would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Dovies wrote: »
    Every 2nd weekend is different to 3-4 weeks which is what a trip to Australia would be interested would imagine.

I'm sure there has been some case where he had to miss a weekend and go 3-4 weeks without seeing her, probably more than once. The guy sees his daughter for about 52 days a year and doesn't see her for 300 days a year, 30 days won't kill OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Closed at the request of the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement