Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gravelly wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can get those incendiary, heat-seeking bullets in 22LR?

They are of no use. They cook the deer upon impact. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

BattleCorp wrote: »

Bet you wouldn't have too many bunnies running after a shot!

Bet you wouldn't have too many bunnies running after a shot!

Nope because my .50 cal is made from black material with an enlarged trigger and shoulder thing and fires 30 rounds per second. And if that bunnie was on the wing of a commercial airline 1.5 miles away, I'd be able to hit it there too. I don't like to fire too many shots though as I hate my magazines getting used up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You are being a bit kind to them there Sparks.
    Yes, that's kindof the point. The sort of nasty ****e that's being done against them in the US right now is just beyond the pale.
    If the day arrives when we can't disagree with them without that kind of thing, we - as in us, the entire population, all of us together - have already lost.
    They were giving their opinion on the functionality of firearms mostly. And they were very wrong mostly.
    Indeed, and it's completely irrelevant, mostly.
    The firearms act, you'll note, isn't an introductory text to shooting...
    If you are a State Legislator, at least have some idea what you are legislating for.
    Them I have no sympathy for. It's their job, they're paid to do it, they have no excuses about not knowing the firearms legislation they're discussing and at least the salient technical points involved. They even have professional staff to brief them. In their cases, it's inexcusable.

But taking nasty potshots at a bunch of kids who got shot at in their own school on the other hand, ah here, ffs lads. Have a bit more strength than that. The fake photos, the conspiracy stuff, knock it on the head. It's not even the right forum for the debate in the first place.

Anyone know if I can get those incendiary, heat-seeking bullets in 22LR?

Debated in the Seanad in the 60s, that one. No, unless you're Frederick Forsyth.

• Advertisement

Nope because my .50 cal is made from black material with an enlarged trigger and shoulder thing
    That was actually one of the characteristics from the assault weapons ban though (having a seperate pistol grip from the buttstock)...

...and is that the .50bmg AR-15, or the .50 beowolf AR-15? Because they're both real...

Not available for $130 in your local gun store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But taking nasty potshots at a bunch of kids who got shot at in their own school on the other hand, ah here, ffs lads. Have a bit more strength than that. The fake photos, the conspiracy stuff, knock it on the head. It's not even the right forum for the debate in the first place.

So all the US NRA are "
    "pathetic f***ers that want to keep killing our children," adding that they could have the blood of murdered children on their faces but they wouldn't do anything because they are somehow greedy.

In an interview with The Outline, David Hogg attacked pro-gun politicians and the NRA, saying, "It just makes me think what sick f***ers out there want to continue to sell more guns, murder more children, and honestly just get reelected."

"our parents don’t know how to use a f***ing democracy, so we have to."
    Shows how much he has paid attention in History or civics.The US is a CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY"
    Yet, when he was asked what ideas he is coming up with for policies, Hogg replied, "I shouldn't have to! I'm 17.":D:D:D

Ad Hominen attacks how are ya??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW these aren't "Kids"..they are juveniles under US law and subject to the same rules as "the grown-ups". They want to play in the adult world, well then expect to be treated like one. Hopefully, Master Hogg or his parents will be served a class action civil lawsuit from a bunch of aggrieved NRA members for their son's defamatory statements as he is "just 17" and still under his parents' responsibility.They will get it in the neck.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizz, he's a kid who was shot at.
    Now he's in probably in a lot deeper than he was expecting and half of twitter and all of 4chan are busily taking so many pot shots at him that even guys like mike cernovich are going "whoa guys, that's too far".
    Seriously, not kidding about that: https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/979090471342387200

If you think you're better than Hogg, you ought to be acting better than him.

And hell yes he shouldn't have policies. He is 17. US firearms legislation is an order of magnitude more complex than Irish firearms legislation and at age 40-odd and with 20 years of studying it under my belt, I'd **** myself if you demanded I have policies on it because I know how badly wrong they can go between draft and act. I wouldn't even ask a 17-year-old for ideas, they don't have the raw data in their heads to be able to even frame the question. And there's not a thing wrong with that, nobody should have that data at that age.

But there's a long walk between "why the **** am I getting shot at in my classroom and why won't you do something about it" and actual legislative policies. Try to listen past the PTSD they're undoubtedly suffering right now instead of focussing on the stupid parts of it.

And they are just kids. Don't be telling me a 17-year-old is an adult. Hell, I know a few lads my age who would need to pull themselves up a bit before you'd think that of them (no, not taking a shot at anyone here, I do actually know one or two people away from boards :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So all the US NRA are "
    "pathetic f***ers that want to keep killing our children," adding that they could have the blood of murdered children on their faces but they wouldn't do anything because they are somehow greedy.

In an interview with The Outline, David Hogg attacked pro-gun politicians and the NRA, saying, "It just makes me think what sick f***ers out there want to continue to sell more guns, murder more children, and honestly just get reelected."

"our parents don’t know how to use a f***ing democracy, so we have to."
    Shows how much he has paid attention in History or civics.The US is a CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY"
    Yet, when he was asked what ideas he is coming up with for policies, Hogg replied, "I shouldn't have to! I'm 17.":D:D:D

Ad Hominen attacks how are ya??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW these aren't "Kids"..they are juveniles under US law and subject to the same rules as "the grown-ups". They want to play in the adult world, well then expect to be treated like one. Hopefully, Master Hogg or his parents will be served a class action civil lawsuit from a bunch of aggrieved NRA members for their son's defamatory statements as he is "just 17" and still under his parents' responsibility.They will get it in the neck.

Hogg and co remind me of our extreme leftie lot here, like Brid Smith. She jammed up the whole town yesterday with her protest over the rape trial in Belfast. They seem to think because they believe something, that should be it, no further reasons or evidence should be needed.

The only redeeming thing I can say about master Hogg and his bald bullying girlfriend is they are the best recruiting SGTs the NRA and the gun industry has had in a long time.They will probably put Obama in 2nd place soon.

60 thousand new sign-ups in a month, and whatever donations as well.
    Feck it, even people who don't like the NRA have signed up, because of this loudmouth.I even renewed my lapsed membership.Along with Gun Owners of America...[You think the NRA is bad?GOA is utterly no compromise.]

So I am quite happy to let master Hogg and miss Gonzalez flap their lips as much as they like.They are going to yell themselves over a very tall cliff, and screaming "But we are just 17! Won't do them a blind bit of good on the way down.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

What amazes me about the nra in America, is that the membership is only 5 million. I thought it would be 10 times that amount. From what i have read about America is that the country is splitting, usually along racial lines, but also along conservative/liberals too. I would assume like we have already see happening with California/Arizona, is that states would be either pro or anti gun.

When you think what the auto industry, tobacco, and pharma have for money and lobbying power in Washington, and incidentally, produce the biggest 3 product killers in the US of US citizens.The power and clout of the NRA is utterly laughable in comparison.

What makes the NRA a force is it's grassroots members.They get on the phone, the internet, they go and sit in their congressmen's office and see him/ her, and they write letters, faxes, emails, and they make themselves known and their views as well.And they vote when election time comes around.

This has even been begrudgingly recognised by the antis and Democrats in DC that if they had half as many dedicated people as the NRA, they would win a lot more in Congress and in state elections.A great pity we, and out organisations, cant recognise that fact here.

Master Hogg has said that they will win by emulating the NRA's tactics... As soon as they figure out which bathroom to use, have finished eating their laundry detergent pods and stopped smoking fly spray no doubt.:rolleyes:

California/AZ.California, especially the coastal and Sthn CA is an utter basket case of Democrat run,bankrupt,utter ,social welfare ****holes.It is a hideously expensive state to live in anymore and is fiscally bankrupt.So much so, its infrastructure is falling apart[literally],crucial dams cant be fixed,and its Democrat Governor, Brown, between demanding CA secedes from the Union,is demanding from Washington billions to fix everything.So no wonder everyone is leaving the place and spreading their liberal ideals in places like NM NV and AZ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apologies for the long posts. Haven't posted in a few days and had a lot to get through. Split them to make for easier reading.
    Sparks wrote: »
    Well, that's true, people say stupid things about firearms when they don't know them (see, Hollywood, All Of). Of course, on the other hand:
    - you don't hunt deer with .50bmg rounds
    - you don't hunt deer with tracer rounds
    - you don't hunt deer with fully automatic firearms
    Missing the main point that the 2nd amendment was not written so people had a guarantee to hunt deer.
    None of this is about the specifics of firearms anyway, but about firearms legislation
    You have to know about one before you can address the other.
    How many of you would ace any test question put by a hostile interviewer on the Firearms Act here?
    Who is asking them t cite legislation? Know what they are protesting is about the most people are being asked about and they don't know that.
    How many of you could be made look ignorant of the basics with a little bit of editing to the footage?
    Ask CNN, they're experts at it.
    How many people have posted here not knowing the Firearms Act? How many times have the Gardai and the Courts been wrong about it?
    Again you're implying people don't have to know the legislation when no one is demanding it off them. They only want to know if people knows basic such as the guns they want banned are already banned/heavily restricted, background checks exist, mass shootings were done with illegally held/acquired firearms, and that is without touching on more "advanced" stuff such as the name of the guns.
    Personally, I see videos like that one as an own goal because they scream to high heaven of insecurity. They're pure ad hom argument.
    I see them as a laugh as i don't take them seriously. Not because of clever editing as you said above, but more so for showing the really stupid ones among the crowd.

However a guy with a mobile is not a reporter, but when i see main stream media doing it, its another story.
    Anyone watching who isn't on one side or the other will just read it as "they haven't got any actual argument, they're just calling the other side names".
    Some videos are poor and out for the cheap laugh, but others try to engage the people in the protests (not just the gun marches) and when they come back at those they are interviewing with facts, stats and other details they get screamed at, called names, and assaulted.

So what moral high ground can they claim? Look at the riots (cause calling them marches is an insult to genuine protesters) outside of College campuses when someone the liberal left doesn't agree with comes to talk. They deny the speaker their 1st amendment right and loot and destroy property.

If the right acted the way the left do they're would be even more crap about it on the news.
    Yes, that's kindof the point. The sort of nasty ****e that's being done against them in the US right now is just beyond the pale.
    You are taking the piss if you think the liberal left are in any way, shape or form the "victims" here.
    If the day arrives when we can't disagree with them without that kind of thing, we - as in us, the entire population, all of us together - have already lost.
    They [the left] don't accept disagreement. If you disagree you're the enemy.
    Indeed, and it's completely irrelevant, mostly.
    No, its not. If you don't know what you're protesting against then you're either a moron or a sheep. Either way you should not b listened to.
    The firearms act, you'll note, isn't an introductory text to shooting...
    Again with the firearms act.

You don't need to a be legislative expert to know the basic details of what you're marching against.
    But taking nasty potshots at a bunch of kids who got shot at in their own school on the other hand, ah here, ffs lads.
    When they were in school they were kids, as soon as they entered the political arena they lost that privilege and any protection it afforded.
    Have a bit more strength than that.
    And someone needs to take those "kids" , sit them down and explain they are spoiled little, foul mouthed, ignorant, ungratefuls that should be thankful they lived when other didn't and to stop stepping on the graves of their so called friends for 15 minutes of fame. Its sickening.
    The fake photos, the conspiracy stuff, knock it on the head.
    What fake photos?
    It's not even the right forum for the debate in the first place.
    What, having it here?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

...and is that the .50bmg AR-15, or the .50 beowolf AR-15? Because they're both real...
    So? i'm failing to see the point of this. Is it they're unnecessary?
    Not available for $130 in your local gun store though.
    Which part of the firearms act did you get that from or was it common sense and about 5 seconds on Google that you learned that from? I ask because if you can find that out surely those protesting against $130 ARs, 30 caliber clips, full semi auto rifles, etc. can do it too without the need for BL or SC after their name to find it out.
    Sparks wrote: »
    Grizz, he's a kid who was shot at.
    Now he's in probably in a lot deeper than he was expecting .........
    He can stop at any time, but its obviously a conscious decision not to. So if he insists on keeping up his tirade then he has to expect rebuttal.
    ....... and half of twitter and all of 4chan are busily taking so many pot shots at him that even guys like mike cernovich are going "whoa guys, that's too far".
    Being shot at gives him the right to complain about school safety and the mental health problems kids are facing but not to take rights away from everyone for the actions of one person.

As for the potshots, don't dish out what you cannot take.
    If you think you're better than Hogg, you ought to be acting better than him.
    So stay quiet? This allows his ignorant, uneducated and senseless tirades and foul mouthed rants to continue unchecked. As said above this is when he looses the protective title of kid and moves into adult.
    And hell yes he shouldn't have policies. He is 17. US firearms legislation is an order of magnitude more complex than Irish firearms legislation and at age 40-odd and with 20 years of studying it under my belt, I'd **** myself if you demanded I have policies on it because I know how badly wrong they can go between draft and act. I wouldn't even ask a 17-year-old for ideas, they don't have the raw data in their heads to be able to even frame the question. And there's not a thing wrong with that, nobody should have that data at that age.
    And for the very same reasons he shouldn't have the unbridled access to the media he does to mouth off on the subject however it's not him that is driving this bus. It's the likes of Everytown directing and pushing this from a distance.
    Try to listen past the PTSD they're undoubtedly suffering right now instead of focussing on the stupid parts of it.
    Then why is no one, especially the media that insist on interviewing him every day, checking him. Not only on his facts, but on his language and the trauma he is going through. Why doesn't someone say to this "kid" that you need to take time, process this, get help and then return with a clear, clam mind and address what problems you see.

Because in a month, two months, six months it won't be a hot button topic and the steam that the subversive groups can attain from him and his fellow victims will have dissipated.
    And they are just kids. Don't be telling me a 17-year-old is an adult.
    Then stop trying to act like one.

Be a kid, be upset, be pissed off, but don't try and turn this into something its not and then hide behind the kid title when actual adults come back at you.

The double standards being applied to these kids/adults/ whatever is staggering. They get to say whatever they want without being checked either morally or factually.

Look at Gonzalez. She got slated for wearing a Cuban flag on her jacket at a march. Cuba, known for its disarming of citizens, torturing/imprisonment/murder of homosexuals, and complete lack of 1st amendment or eqivalent. So she would not be able to be herself there and have no right to protest it as she currently enjoys.

Immediately the left came back with "she wore it as a symbol of her heritage as her Father is Cuban". Funny that because when some people from the Southern states used the same reasoning for wearing or flying the confederate flag they were still called Nazis, KKK men, racists, etc. to the point statues were torn down. So if she can wear it because of heritage why is the confederate flag so inappropriate?

Ask yourself this. How are these kids so organised, so quickly? Baltimore schools going without heating, but all of a sudden there is money to hire 60 buses to ship 3,000 kids to DC for a protest. Staging, planning, funding of all these marches and protests does not happen easy or cheaply without the proper backing. that is not conspiracy theory it's common sense. So the real tragedy is when these kids become useless to whatever force is driving this agenda they'll be cast aside and the cycle will start all over again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Battlecorp, you must have got infected by the Video.

Don't you know that you are not allowed to shoot deer with a .22 under Irish Law ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Battlecorp, you must have got infected by the Video.

Don't you know that you are not allowed to shoot deer with a .22 under Irish Law ?

Yep, I know. I was joking. Taking the p1ss out of what was said in the clip.

Regarding getting infected by the video, you are probably right. I'd say my IQ dropped momentarily from watching those dumb sh1ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Man, the off topic chat thread has gotten really heavy of late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Cass wrote: »
    Missing the main point that the 2nd amendment was not written so people had a guarantee to hunt deer.

Some states have hunting in their constitutions, though... But though .50 is a little excessive for deer, it's about right for hogs. Those buggers are up to a half-ton in weight, and they have a mean streak a mile long.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Man, the off topic chat thread has gotten really heavy of late.
    Its a fairly heavy topic and while some might argue that it's an American problem look at what is happening around the world. From the EU attack on firearms to individual countries imposing harsher laws and some outright bans the worldwide opinion on firearms is gone from quiet mutterings to loud table banging.
    Some states have hunting in their constitutions, though...
    Not really my point and i'm sure the actual constitution trumps the state ones.
    But though .50 is a little excessive for deer, it's about right for hogs. Those buggers are up to a half-ton in weight, and they have a mean streak a mile long.
    While i don't know them all or even that many from what i've seen some of the hunting laws in America are more strict than their gun laws and even the laws here.

• Advertisement

To change the mood, was listening to the radio and a Barrister said something that has me scratching my head.

They were talking about the rape trial in Belfast and what can be done to combat the flow of information before, during and after the trial. The topic of contempt of court came up and the Barrister said there is no contempt of court Act in Ireland.

If that is the case then why have we been so careful over the years to avoid technical contempt posts, etc. From a cursory glance at one article, when i done a google search, it said that while such an Act exist sin the states and was enacted in the Uk in 1981 no such act has been enacted here. Meaning any contempt issues arise from "laws that are judge-made ".

So how can someone be in contempt of court if no such law exists to be broken, and if judges are imposing sentences/fines for contempt how are they legal and enforceable?

Active shooter in the youtube HQ, reported on the mejia. Looks likes thats the end of youtube and shooting channels.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/youtube-shooter-active-shots-headquarters-california-latest-updates-a8287386.html

A Woman,Iranian,Vegan, and very militant PETA supporter that was pissed off that Youtube demonitiesed her channel.... Typical NRA member!!:rolleyes:
    Watch also how quick the media is changing away from this story..It doesn't fit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ireseamus

The point is not who needs these guns because people should be aloud to have what they want without having to prove a need

In America? Yes they can, it's their right.

There are already a number of people disentitled to own a firearm for reasons which range from mental illness, to domestic violence, to dishonorable discharge, to criminal record, etc. However if you have clean record and don't fall into the category of disentitled then you can own whatever is legal to won simply because you want it.

As well as not smoking pot.That disentitles you as well.
    But then again you just go to "Mofuker Homie retail",and get whatever you need in firepower,cars,jewellery,Tv's or anything else a mutha would need for himself or his crib
    There is a branch on almost every street corner in every large US city.You got cash?They'll get it for you,and your purchase will be available for collection out of the boot of Leroy's car in the back alley ASAP.
    "Its a steal shopping at Homie retail":)

We need a thread on the off topic line for things that make you go W!T!F!! in the shooting world
    I'll start this one off.. What would you make of a statement like this on a hunting website that is based in Ireland?

Our busiest season is the rut. It generally runs from the beginning of September thru the first week of November. Stags are legal only with rifles, bows can be used for ram, goat and ibex hunts.
    All of our guides are very experienced in stalking these animals.

From THIS website
    https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/11173

Got a query from someone who is a bow hunter and former resident in NI a long time ago,had bow hunting suddenly become legal in the ROI??
    ASFIK it is still illegal for both game and non-game species,even vermin...So he sent me a link to a certain well-known stalker and hunting guide in Wicklow.Who is offering bow hunting in Ireland!! As well as hunting for wait for it...Ibex!![Seriously WTF.com????] a non-native species to Ireland..So has someone been releasing freakin Ibex into Wicklow???An Alpine range mountain goat in Wicklow??
    Worse this guy claims to be HCAP qualified!!..[Did he miss the bit in the HCAP manual about bow hunting here?]And a NARGC gun safety instructor, and correct me if I am wrong isn't he involved with HCAP???

I mean, just what the righteous fuk is going on here??Bow hunting is now legal in about 40% of the EU, and its a very tricky subject to broach or consider legalising.Stupid carry on like this will kill it off forever here. :mad:

Before we go with our cyber pitchforks and torches en masse upon this man.I would really like to hear the explanation of what is the thinking behind this?As a professional guide in Ireland, he should know the law and wildlife acts inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ireseamus

How do you feel about hunting deer with buck shot

Shotgun slugs within a reasonable distance.Buckshot,unless it is roe or in that size of an animal, no.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We need a thread on the off topic line for things that make you go W!T!F!! in the shooting world
    I'll start this one off.. What would you make of a statement like this on a hunting website that is based in Ireland?

Our busiest season is the rut. It generally runs from the beginning of September thru the first week of November. Stags are legal only with rifles, bows can be used for ram, goat and ibex hunts.
    All of our guides are very experienced in stalking these animals.

From THIS website
    https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/11173

Got a query from someone who is a bow hunter and former resident in NI a long time ago,had bow hunting suddenly become legal in the ROI??
    ASFIK it is still illegal for both game and non-game species,even vermin...So he sent me a link to a certain well-known stalker and hunting guide in Wicklow.Who is offering bow hunting in Ireland!! As well as hunting for wait for it...Ibex!![Seriously WTF.com????] a non-native species to Ireland..So has someone been releasing freakin Ibex into Wicklow???An Alpine range mountain sheep in Wicklow??
    Worse this guy claims to be HCAP qualified!!..[Did he miss the bit in the HCAP manual about bow hunting here?]And a NARGC gun safety instructor, and correct me if I am wrong isn't he involved with HCAP???

I mean, just what the righteous fuk is going on here??Bow hunting is now legal in about 40% of the EU, and its a very tricky subject to broach or consider legalising.Stupid carry on like this will kill it off forever here. :mad:

Before we go with our cyber pitchforks and torches en masse upon this man.I would really like to hear the explanation of what is the thinking behind this?As a professional guide in Ireland, he should know the law and wildlife acts inside and out.

Just had a look, yup it seems he is offering bow hunting on Ibex. When you click on the details of the hunt, it says a glacial valley in Glenmalure valley ! This country has lost its marbles.

Advertisement